Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mechanist's Plog, Khorne Daemon Knight, Leg week.

Conversion Kitbash Black Legion Chaos Knight Khorne Chaos Space Marines Chaos Tzeench Daemons

• Please log in to reply
427 replies to this topic

Mechanist

Mechanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 765 posts

So I've been following a number of Blogs for a while and using Google searches for inspiration for many projects, one thing crops up a lot in them and that's this community on B&C.

Now that's probably not a surprise since when I first started blogging I found KrautScientist's amazing Eternal Hunt and Have been hooked ever since. Now most recently it was his imperial Knight and links through to Tibbs forge that meant when Forgeworld released rules for Chaos I simply couldn't resist starting my own.

So having pinched ideas from many of you guys and a chat with DragonLover about the community I think it's only fair I share the Knight and even give some sneaky advance pics that I've not posted on my blog yet.

Starting with The Knight warden Kit I've decided the first Knight of Black Ruin will be a Khorne Daemon Knight. 
The initial stages began with lots of research into pose and ides, I won't repeat it all here as I want to get on with the pictures, but my Blog covers my starting point in detail if people are interested.

However after going over Tibb's Forge and the posts on leg reposing of Queen Bee I made my first move. 
med_gallery_88567_11374_616895.png

Once this was done for both legs it was a fairly quick process to get the parts ready for assembling, then I used the Freeblade Game Trailer to help design the pose. Its great to be able to see a Knight stomping round and really get a feel for how it would look mid pose. 

This is what I came up with.
med_gallery_88567_11374_63418.png

With such a significant repose of the legs I'm going to need to do something with the pistons, however unlike Queen Bee I don;t have to worry about all that pesky realism thanks to cheeky warp smithing so this was the Knight right leg after the first bout of green stuffing. 

med_gallery_88567_11374_99313.png

It's had a fair bit more greenstuff applied since. Once I've written up my blog post about the pose I'll dig through the photos of the legs details so you guys can be the first to see.

Edited by Mechanist, Yesterday, 09:05 AM.
Tags edited

• Noserenda, Midnight Runner, Pearson73 and 5 others like this

My plog With my latest creations and part projects

http://www.bolterand...change-painting

For more detailed waffle on anything I'm working on why not check out my blog at 

http://paintstationf...blogspot.co.uk/
ETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_01_.jpg

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,719 posts
  • Faction: The Brass Stampede
Sweet pose, dude. Dynamic and exciting, it blows the standard squat knight away. Plus, he'll be dedicated to the proper god. :)

jd71B4p.jpgMFgjOT4.jpgjd71B4p.jpg

DarkApostle7

DarkApostle7

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 199 posts
  • Faction: word bearers

I can just imagine that knight shoulder barging another one, this is what those shoulder plates are for! biggrin.png

"if a man gathers ten thousand suns in his hands...if a man seeds a hunderd thousand worlds with his sons and daughters, granting them custody of the galaxy itself.. if aman guides a million vessels bteween the infinite stars with a mere thought...Then i pray you tell me, if you are able, how such a man is anything less than a god."-Lorgar Aurelian, Primarch of the word bearers

KingKurama

KingKurama

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,632 posts
Awesome stuff and I may borrow that repose 😅 can't wait to see more

Mechanist

Mechanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 765 posts

Sweet pose, dude. Dynamic and exciting, it blows the standard squat knight away. Plus, he'll be dedicated to the proper god.

Thanks, I've got plenty more to share so keep watching, Progress has slowed a bit but I hope to get some more done this week. 

I can just imagine that knight shoulder barging another one, this is what those shoulder plates are for!

Yup someone is in for a realy bad day.

Awesome stuff and I may borrow that repose 😅 can't wait to see more

Do it, I've waffled on at length about how I'm borrowing ideas from al over the place, and since you asked so nicely, here's a couple of slightly later shots from different angels.

med_gallery_88567_11374_34141.png

med_gallery_88567_11374_81797.png

You can just begin to see the modifications I'm making, a lot of clipping and cutting, I'll sort though the latest pics later in the week and start to show the current state of the knight. 

Thanks for encouragement I psyched to get home and mix some green stuff up, I've even had a plan as to what's next. 

• HellChyld, Biohazard, oldschoolsoviet and 1 other like this

For more detailed waffle on anything I'm working on why not check out my blog at 

Mechanist

Mechanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 765 posts

Dr the patient has suffered serious spinal injuries and is need of serious surgery soon.

med_gallery_88567_11374_367041.png

So last night I did a thing. Drastic maybe but I have a plan.

• Midnight Runner likes this

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,719 posts
  • Faction: The Brass Stampede
50000000ccs of BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD, stat!
  • Res Ipsa Loquitur likes this

jd71B4p.jpgMFgjOT4.jpgjd71B4p.jpg

SW1

SW1

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,485 posts
  • Faction: Vlyka Fenryka
I really like the repositioning you've done. It makes it look so much more dynamic than the old squat pose. :tu:

Can't wait to see what going to be coming out the back. It couldn't be wings could it?

ETL_2013_03_Custos_Fidei_04.jpgETL_2013_Forum_Champion_05_SW.jpgETL_2013_Forum_Champion_13_Brothers_in_A

oldschoolsoviet

oldschoolsoviet

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 647 posts
  • Faction: White Scars / World Eaters

That......that's ballsy. I wish you luck on this mammoth undertaking !  As an aside, I recommend a screw through the ground foot/base. Works a treat for my own runner.

2mwrp6a.png2a0go4o.png 2h6zjus.png 2ahkwl.png2ym98r8.png

"Blood for the Blood God ! Skulls for the Khan ! .....wait. What ?!" - Of Skulls and Scars - WiP Thread -

Mechanist

Mechanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 765 posts

50000000ccs of BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD, stat! 

It Ok nurse we have a nice fresh donor, only 65 million years extinct.

gallery_88567_11374_78151.png

I really like the repositioning you've done. It makes it look so much more dynamic than the old squat pose. thumbsup.gif

Can't wait to see what going to be coming out the back. It couldn't be wings could it? 

Thank you, no not wings on this one, I picked up a pack of skeleton dinos specially for this at around £6 for 3  I've chosen the Triceratops as the ideal donor.

Have started to cut the Dino down to a reasonable fit, pics to follow.

That......that's ballsy. I wish you luck on this mammoth undertaking !  As an aside, I recommend a screw through the ground foot/base. Works a treat for my own runner.

Cheers man, I'll consider that as I build it up, currently seems fairly stable but once I look at basing a screw should offer a much better hold than a pin. 

• Legio Draconis likes this

Mechanist

Mechanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 765 posts

Now the procedure is at it's most delicate. Get this positioning wrong and we could have a fatal error. Swab please nurse.

Managed to get the first fit of the spinal graft as I finished last night. This is how it looks now

med_gallery_88567_11374_830151.png

Some minor adjustmentsand I'll be ready for the first green stuff mix to hold it in place.

• Honda, Biohazard, KBA and 9 others like this

Luther - the fallen

Luther - the fallen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 895 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion and Allies

Love your work so far, I'll have to steal that idea with the spine for some project at some point tongue.png

- Luther

• Mechanist likes this
gallery_10707_11380_16314.jpg
Follow my Work in my Blog: For the Warmaster

Mechanist

Mechanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 765 posts

Love your work so far, I'll have to steal that idea with the spine for some project at some point tongue.png

- Luther

Go for it. I'll be gathering all the information for the Dinosaur skeletons with pics and links for a blog post possibly going live next week. When I do I'll share the links here as it was frome some online toyshop. 

• Luther - the fallen likes this

Mechanist

Mechanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 765 posts

So I've been slowly making some minor additions to the Knight which I'll photo up this week at some point.

In the meantime I'm working on this

med_gallery_88567_11401_784670.png

I'm painting this guy up for the Dreadtober a group of bloggers are doing as the Hellbrute is one of my main sources of inspiration it gives me a chance to work out some of the painting techniques I'll be using on the daemon Knight. 

One problem I have though is that there is a very distinct line between the really fleshy bits and the Armour plates. On the Knight as I'm sculpting I'm trying to work out the best way to have the transition between fleshy mutation and original metal. Do I blend it smoothly and then paint a blended transition or sculpt a definite line between the two, and if so how should it look. sadly A Google search term for this point of detail is eluding me so any suggestions and examples welcome. 

Lord Commander Eidolon

Lord Commander Eidolon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 815 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children Legion
The dinosaur skeleton is a stroke of genius! I'll follow this post with interest!! Great work thus far, I'm sure I'll feel the need to 'borrow' a few of the ideas here!!
"Only by Imperfection can we fail...''
Fulgrim, the Phoenician, the Illuminator, the Prefector of Chemos

My Blogs: 

sml_gallery_162_12011_407905.pngtn_gallery_162_12011_4334.jpegtn_gallery_162_12011_452.jpeg Instagram: @pursuitOfperfection

maverike_prime

maverike_prime

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,731 posts

Now the procedure is at it's most delicate. Get this positioning wrong and we could have a fatal error. Swab please nurse.

Managed to get the first fit of the spinal graft as I finished last night. This is how it looks now

med_gallery_88567_11374_830151.png

Some minor adjustmentsand I'll be ready for the first green stuff mix to hold it in place.

Well... consider this project followed.

If you're message even remotely resembles this:
"O foar teh noez dey schrewd Ka0z agen!11!!!one! /cry /quit" and "Ka0z iz OP hax0rz."

Please go back and re-type it. Seriously, go back and try again. I am not fluent in txtiese. I am capable of reading/writing/speaking 3 languages: English, bad English, and American.

Be Sure to Follow me on:
32_twitch.png32_facebook.png32_twitter.png32_youtube.png32_instagram.png32_pinterest.png

RolandTHTG

RolandTHTG

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,455 posts

This'll be good! It looks amazing already.

As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,

The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!

There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. -anon

ETL_Banner_01_Base_Top.jpg

ETL_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_2012a.jpgETL_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_2013a.jpgETL_Banner_04_Oath_Breaker_2014.jpgETL_Banner_03_Corner_Blank.jpgETL_Banner_03_Corner_Blank.jpgETL_Banner_03_Corner_Blank.jpgETL_Banner_03_Corner_Blank.jpgETL_Banner_03_Corner_Sword.jpg

6th/7th ed CSM Record 14-7-1 W-L-D

6th/7th ed SM (White Scars ) record 8-2-2 W-L-D

Formerly known as TJWyrm

Red Skullz

Red Skullz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 919 posts
Not intended to hijack but here are my chaos knight titans if you want more references https://bigbossredsk...-knight-titans/

Other than that I dig that spine and the pose is great! Fantastic start just keep at it :)
I'm on Facebook and I've got a blog as bigbossredskullz.

JeffTibbetts

JeffTibbetts

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,673 posts
  • Faction: Eagle Eyes

Duuuuuude. This is going to be something when you're done. I can feel it. Thanks for the shout-out. Wanna see something weird? Your pose actually mirrors the Ironclad Dreadnought I've been working on this month!

I'm glad you were able to make some sense of my tricky leg conversion. I love the use of the rubber pad or whatever that thing is to replicate the lost bit of joint in the knee, and since it's chaos you get to skip the super fiddly piston work! Bravo, sir. 

Also, I'll echo the fact that the trailer for Freeblade is just so much fun to watch. I've rewatched it probably a dozen times, and I'm still super excited for the game to come out. I hope it's here soon. 

gallery_74115_9011_2349.pngtn_gallery_74115_9313_33227.pngtn_gallery_74115_9011_9491.pngtn_gallery_74115_9011_110464.png gallery_74115_9011_12025.pngtn_gallery_74115_9011_3499.png

++ victorus aut mortis ++

Follow me on Twitter @linguartisan for pics and banter.

Luther - the fallen

Luther - the fallen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 895 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion and Allies

Really looking forward to seeing more of this. It looks amazing.

gallery_10707_11380_16314.jpg
Follow my Work in my Blog: For the Warmaster

Mechanist

Mechanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 765 posts

Not intended to hijack but here are my chaos knight titans if you want more references https://bigbossredsk...-knight-titans/

Other than that I dig that spine and the pose is great! Fantastic start just keep at it smile.png

Ooooo, I hadn't seen those before very nice, I love what you've done with the warden, I was quite disappointed that the latest kit didn't do anything to really change up the silhouette to get a closer look to the epic model. Something I've be thinking about doing for the Tzeenech Knight.

Duuuuuude. This is going to be something when you're done. I can feel it. Thanks for the shout-out. Wanna see something weird? Your pose actually mirrors the Ironclad Dreadnought I've been working on this month!

I'm glad you were able to make some sense of my tricky leg conversion. I love the use of the rubber pad or whatever that thing is to replicate the lost bit of joint in the knee, and since it's chaos you get to skip the super fiddly piston work! Bravo, sir. 

Also, I'll echo the fact that the trailer for Freeblade is just so much fun to watch. I've rewatched it probably a dozen times, and I'm still super excited for the game to come out. I hope it's here soon. 

I've been watching your Dreadtober project and even commenting, did you find the new tau vs Mech display pics?

"The rubber pad" is just an off cut of textured plastic that did the job. not sure what I would find harder all the sculpting for the chaos stuff or cutting the bits of tube and trying to get it all 'right' probably the latter since patience isn't one of my strong points. 

Sadly I don't have an I phone or Pad so interested to see if they port it to Android.

Really looking forward to seeing more of this. It looks amazing.

With a few minutes spare while waiting for a new software drop your wish is my command.

med_gallery_88567_11374_504173.png

Bit of a rough image but shows how the leg is going, inspired by skarbrand's spiny bits the next step is to add veins and then some skin, will leave plenty of rents so I can gore up the fleshy bits.

Sculpting the leg would have been an interesting one for passers by as I had a the picture of a body-builder's leg on the TV while doing it.

• Luther - the fallen and Chandrian like this

Paladin7221

Paladin7221

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,044 posts

This. This is already all kinds of amazing. The guts you had to carve up the carapace like that is most impressive and the whole idea is simply excellent.

I'll be watching this one extremely closely and shamelessly nicking every picture you see fit to post up! laugh.png

"I once met one of our cousins in more peaceful times, a noble captain of the Ultramarines. He branded me a cur and a soul-less butcher without even the merest shred of honour. I laughed full in his face and asked why that surprised him."

we_badge_paladin7221.png

KrautScientist

KrautScientist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,445 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters

First of all, thanks a lot for the shout out in the opening post! :)

I have been quietly lurking in the corners, but it's time to let you know that your progress so far is very promising, indeed! You've been far more corageous than me when it comes to reposing the Knight (and hacking apart the carapace, for that matter), but so far the risk seems to be paying off! The pose is looking excellent, and the GS work on the leg is coming along brilliantly! I love the similarities to the Bloodthirster design. More please! :)

Midnight Runner

Midnight Runner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,443 posts
That spine is epic, massive kudos!! I am going to have to borrow that idea myself, I hope you don't mind :) Love the pose too, very dynamic and Khornate. As for the spines, they look perfect - the Daemon within is forcing its way out - just grizzly B)

furstyferret

furstyferret

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 189 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors
This is looking so cool, can't wait to see more. Great use of the toy dinosaur as well. I'd be way too scared to try that lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Conversion, Kitbash, Black Legion, Chaos Knight, Khorne, Chaos Space Marines, Chaos, Tzeench, Daemons

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users