The story of Big Bob and Lil' Jim

Frater Cornelius

Yesterday, I had a game. My semi-fun-but-somewhat-optimized Dark Angels against a pretty decent Khorne Daemonkin list. My opponent was practicing for a tournament while I was just messing around with units I usually never play.

Well, the stars of the list were of cause the Land Raider Phobos with 5 DWK and Ezekiel inside. The Land Raider blew up a Soulgrinder T1 and put loads of pressure on the opponent, while the DWK took on around 35-40 Fleshhounds, 10 Bloodletters and a Lord on Crusher while losing two members and Ezekiel being down to 1 wound, between T5, Force, the 6 on Interromancy and being in cover and thus forcing I1 on the enemy.

But I am not here to talk about a unit that I expected to do well. Instead, I want to tell you about Big Bob and Lil' Jim.

Big Bob was a Venerable Dreadnought with Fist, Stormbolter and Assault Cannon. He picked up all the pieces the other units dropped. The Nephilim got loads of damage on a Maulerfiend, but the opponent saved it all. My Tacs failed to kill his Bikers and Hounds. My one Scout unit got eaten alive by Dogs. Not a problem for Bob. He punched his way through 5 Dogs T1. Then he charged a Maulerfield T2 and killed it. The second Maulerfield charged him right after, but got ripped apart. Then the Possessed showed up. Bob showed them who was boss. Then a group for Melta Bikers moved towards them. Bob shot them to pieces. Ultimately, the opponent summoned a Bloodthirster, Bob charged it and knocked a wound off. Then he failed to hit the Bloodthirster in two consecutive melee phases. But then, the Bloodthirster knocked a HP of Bob. He was not impressed... and proceeding to knock 4 wound of the Thirster in one go, securing the last objective I needed and tabling the opponent in the process. Well done Bob.

But then there was also Lil' Jim. His exploits were not as mighty as Bob's. In fact, he did not even move once during the game. But his tale was one of true grit. Jimmy was a Scout. His Scout unit got charged by a min-sized Fleshhound unit. After the first combat phase, one Dog was dead and 3 Scouts. After the second combat phase, only Jimmy was left alive against 4 Dogs.

We were at the bottom of T2. Fast forward to the bottom of T5, where Jimmy was still standing and knocked the last wound of the Fleshhound unit that charged his unit. The opponent was so enraged, that he threw another Fleshhound unit towards him. While the failed to stop those, it turned out that he was only wounded and recovered, while the Dogs went on to being slaughtered by the DWK.

Both of us were cheering and yelling for Lil' Jimmy far more than any other unit on the board. He held objective 4 until the bitter end.

In the end, this game will be remembered for a long time. Not because of the win or loss. Not because of the slaughterfest the DWK made of this game. But because the two real heroes. Big Bob and Lil' Jimmy.

Here they are. My buddy called them Butcherkings when he took the photo.

http://i.imgur.com/UzF9hXo.jpg

While both are just test models I use to try things out and would be destined to be sold, these two will instead be optimized and converted and put on a diorama, which I will gift the FLGS, the place both of them left their mark on with their exploits. One with his heroic deeds and the other with endless courage.

I hope you enjoyed their story as much as I did msn-wink.gif

Ha, the heroes of the DA army are Bjorn and a humble kaerl. Got to to love that picture.

Yeah, as I said. Test models :D The other one was me messing with human Kroot conversions and stopped half way :P When I do the diorama, they will get their DA specific iconography ;)

Just finished painting my Dreadnought. I wasn't sure what I should write on the small name plate on his sarcophagus. His name is Robert... but that name is to long.

I'll just write Bob and hope that he will perform as well as yours. smile.png

Archived