[WIP] 1905th Solar Auxilia: Rust Scorpions

Audemus

That's a lovely shot of the game, looks like a really nice table to play on. Pity about the loss, but it sounds as if the Marshal proved himself a true hero. To deal with bikes I guess it's just high volumes of decent strength and/or low AP, choom could work for the former and maybe plasma for the latter, though I'm unfamiliar with the Auxilia list.

Seriously mate, this stuff is a massive inspiration! While I'm usually burned out on 'Guard', the auxilia have this nice special place in my stone cold traitorous heart (it locks the Blood Angel part of me in the corner) that it's always just wonderful to see. After a rather daunting Vostroyan army that I ended up parting with, I never thought I'd look at 'ornate guard' again, but this is giving me very evil ideas :tongue.:  Can't get enough of those rotary cannon troopers!

The medicae is a great way of really putting some added emphasis on some neat display pieces that really pick out unique units, something I feel a lot of large infantry forces traditionally lack. It just heightens their character and gives them life behind the mask. You nailed it.

Now, those vehicles are gorgeous too, everything works and that shot from the battle just shows it all off perfectly .  -hears echoes of 'ambush mission' and has near PTSD flashbacks with a heavy infantry army getting bombarded by artillery- I feel like I should be apologizing... for some reason.  The fight against the 1st legion still sounds pretty rough, especially seeing things like that Fire Raptor.  Hearing about the household guard is just fantastic! I guess Astartes sorts tend to look down on them a little? :tongue.: I'd think that the Medusa would be a pretty nice way of tearing some chunks out of Ravenwing and any White Scars you end up tangling with. I really gotta look up what else the Auxilia get. They're pretty rare 'round these parts.

I really do hope to see some more air cover, mate :smile.:  Might well push me over the edge to a pair of Lightnings, too.  Seriously, keep it up, thanks a ton too!  

As a weird post script, despite having painted probably about 40 custodes over a year and some, I've never actually seen them side by side next to a guardsmen... I didn't realized how huge they were compared to them until you put up that picture a bit back.  

I know what you mean entirely about feeling burnt out on the Guard!  I actually did a little side detour when I started painting again and did some models for a Loyalist Alpha Legion Chapter just to kinda wake my paint brush up again with something different;  I doubt I'll ever even put them on a table to play but it was a good way to reboot before the itch to run back to my Auxilia got me again.  :laugh.:

I am a bit distraught about the Rotor Cannons; they once again provided fantastic levels of fire absorption yesterday (gone to ground, behind the Aegis, with 4 shots apiece re-rolling 1s and making themselves a general nuisance.  FW quit making the rotor cannons I used for the conversion though, so unless I can stumble upon 10 more I cannot make a second group.  I will say that I was impressed at how well grouping the Lasrifle section in the same Tercio with them worked out though.  The ammo dump providing the re-roll of 1s on to-hit for 10 of the Lasrifle (stupid 2 inch range) and the entire rotor cannon squad of Veletaris made my strongpoint at the objective in the center amazingly robust. 

I also had to fix Blast-chargers for one volley due to the bikes having a higher toughness but I managed to knock down four of them which, though I don't know their price individually, felt pretty good for a one round volley of 125 points of auxiliaries.  It would later bite me in the ass as I couldn't fire overwatch on those bikes you see charging in the picture I posted but it was pretty cool regardless. :cool.:  Not a bad showing from the first use of Lasrifles and I definitely don't feel as hesitant about taking the time to paint the other 20 I have unassembled.

The biggest issue with the bikes was the combination of night time giving them all a base cover save followed by "day time" and them all jinking.  Since a fair number of the bikes were carrying rad grenades it became apparent that he really wanted to just close the gap to insta-gib my poor toughness 3 auxiliaries.  It should also be noted that I am still not as comfortable with the rules as I would like to be; despite making this entire army of close to 5k points, that's with add-ons etc, I really have only put them on the table 4 times now in 2 years.  This new gaming group is the first time I've had the ability to know I could get a game in once a month which means I am able to learn from my mistakes rather than forget them entirely. lol

The most important thing I've learned, which I honestly dislike in "theory" but I see how it is effective, is that I'm going to have to bubble wrap things like my Stormhammer in the future.  On turn 1 he was able to engage my Stormhammer with melta-bombs from a supercharged bike squad due to my location in the center of the table and the staggered deployment of Ambush so it lost 9 hullpoints before I could even react...leaving it with, thankfully, one magical hullpoint to steer itself into the middle of hell and unleash fury on all sides.  Firing 5 multilasers (15 shots)  and the primary cannon at the bike pack that had melta-bombed it, 3 more at another pack, and engaging the forward jetbikes with the twin-linked cannons was just a staggering about of fire power to unleash.  I'd been hesitant about running it with multilasers instead of lascannons (blame 2nd edition habits, yeah I'm old. lol) but now I have embraced the multilaser doctrine of battle.  Now I really want to get a rapier squad with 3 quad multilasers (Heavy 6, twin-linked) to put behind the Aegis Defense Line.  Pew-pew-pew! :nuke:

Side Note: You mentioned a Fire Raptor...I had not mentioned said Fire Raptor!  Were you at the store and stopped by to look at the game? :eek:

Edit:

God this just feels like I'm cheesing things up big time and I do tend to highly avoid this train of thought but I could do something like this...  (Wish I had a second Rotor Cannon squad in there though) 

• Can't really template bomb it since ADL and Reinforced Void Armor (re-roll saves against template, 2+ gone to ground behind ADL) on the Veletarii, not to mention the template save of Explorer Adaptation on the Stormhammer 6++ invuln
  • Add in FNP for the troop squads, two squad layers (30 troops on each side) just to charge it and dangerous terrain roll to get over the ADL
  • Direct fire will get a 4+ cover on the tank due to obscuring
  • All squads receive re-rolls of 1 for to-hit rolls from the Ammunition Dump (Note: I just re-read the rules and it explicitly states, "Any model within 2" of an ammunition dump re-rolls failed To Hit rolls of 1 in the shooting phase."  While I never considered this, does that apply to vehicles as well? :whistling: )
  • Put a Tank Commander into the Stormhammer to give re-rolls against the Lord Marshal's LD 10 and a Tank Ace skill w/ Overwatch firing for it)
  • ???
  • Profit.

ZFPffZH.png

That's a lovely shot of the game, looks like a really nice table to play on. Pity about the loss, but it sounds as if the Marshal proved himself a true hero. To deal with bikes I guess it's just high volumes of decent strength and/or low AP, choom could work for the former and maybe plasma for the latter, though I'm unfamiliar with the Auxilia list.

The tables at the place I've been going are great, it's a place called Giga-Bites cafe and they provide tables and terrain, a large selection of stuff, and actual food cooked to order & drinks as well.  It's like a tabletop gaming paradise. o.o

I had a couple of things go horribly awry (that Ambush mission type being one of them) that screwed up my plan of battle.  I had taken the Master of Ambush warlord trait for my Lord Marshal but when I found myself having to deploy in the middle of the table it was suddenly a much more convoluted situation; infiltrating units would have just split my force up more and with the enemy approaching from both sides I couldn't really prepare.  On top of that with the weird deployment rules for Ambush being staggered it caused even more headaches.  In a perfect world I would have taken the full army turn 1 shrouded but it's rarely a perfect world. :ph34r.:

I am going to sit down tonight with Battlescribe and try to really put some thought into a few army lists to get a better feel for things now that I'm starting to see how the games play out.

I hope you were playing with Preferred Enemy (Unpainted)!

A stark contrast between those bikers and your guys!

Ambush is a sucky mission, but I'm glad you gave it a good go. I'd never considered the T2 that Rad grenades bring on and losing FNP - OUCH.

This was so unintentionally hilarious, while it doesn't really bother me to play against unpainted, I did make a comment about the fact I had not played HH outside of 3 (before the game yesterday) fights and if he just put blocks with ? marks on them it would probably means as much to me as a fully painted model since I wouldn't know their rules anyways. LOL

Also, I was ill-prepared for the idea of a 'bike army' in general as I thought they would still be considered infantry/troops and suddenly found my investment in anti-charge wargear on my Lord Marshal in order to ensure I always got the first charge with preferred enemy (infantry) a largely wasted point sink.  Ah well, live and learn!

Just caught up on this thread Audemus and it’s brilliant! Love seeing such a cohesive Solar army - look forward to seeing what comes next.

Thank you!  I think the biggest battle I'm running into currently is tracking down the strange assortment of models that FW has put OOP at this point for them; I'd be concerned they were going to phase out the entire line but then they turn around and release the Aurox and soon will be releasing the Carnodon as well.  It's really bizarre but I am prowling ebay for things on a daily basis while trying to dodge obvious re-casters and the like; it's bizarre that to be a responsible customer I have to scrutinize the hell out of things just to get a model that they aren't even making anymore but I'm doing the best I can.

---

...and here is the last stand of the Stormhammer!

G6h9Meu.png

Edited by Audemus

-laughs- going after the lads from the XXth, Serpent's sons is a pretty big departure so not a bad one there, eh? Hey, you can always use 'em for a Kill Team! See, always good to have some of the sneaky beaky boys 'round. Auxilia have that awesome 'Big Daddy' feeling with the golden age rivet armour, it's seriously one of the most impressive looking groups of non astartes out there (I can't say it too loudly, but I prefer them over Vossies and Krieg). You nailed the look, I maaaay have to at least swear to myself that I can create some as a kill team (the first step in creating an army).

I... didn't realize those rotor cannons had gone OOP. Man, that genuinely sucks. They look terrific and man, while they might not rate as highly as the Angel's toting Assault Cannons around, but they're always gonna have a real big impact on 'em. Ammo dumps do seem like a pretty good useage there, too, with so many rerolls for them they do seem like they can do even a nice historic tercio proud. IE, it'll fend off those infantry but anything with big bursty buggers (like bombards) will cause problems. Hah, I hear ya on that 2” range, almost feels like you should do up a flag and keep 'em around there for all the glory hoggin and makin' marines jealous. The cannon crew really are an awesome looking centerpiece group, mate :)

Hah, ripping down 4 Ravenwing does seem like they covered their cost there in one shot. Pretty much sure of it, and if they had any upgrades at all then it'll be well above 'em. Aaah yes, blast chargers, just like the fun of fury of the legion, you get one glorious round then 'well that was fun'. I can't wait to see that full army picture with two good sections! Uuuugh, yeah, jinking. -shakes head- man, I'll admit that's one rule I'm glad got really massively toned down in 8E. Jinking bikes were not my favourite thing with the way they added up with night fighting and the like. Yeah, I can see why the rad weapons would be a pretty big thing in wanting to clear out any big command sections and pop off the heroes while the FNP fails, too.

-laughs- hey, keep at it mate. Trust me, I totally know the feeling. I'm juggling 8E, Kill Team, and getting in the occasional 30K game (which I have to remember isn't expressly 7E) with 12K Sons of Horus and edition bleed is as lethal as outright forgetting the rules, too. Keep on with that new group, work up as many different types of games and levels of points and you'll get it quick, eh!  With the void armour and such, seems like that would be a fun and nasty group for some Zone Mortalis, eh?  Maybe see if you know someone to break out the Space Hulk/D&D tiles if you can't nab some of the full ZM stuff.  Man I wish ZM was easier to build boards for. 

Ah the famous bubblewrap, yeah... do Stormhammer's get armoured ceramite upgrades at all? I mean, it won't stop the melta-bombs and turboboost bikes with that ambush set up, but I'll admit I'm more than a little sick and tired of the the drop melta squads showing up to ruin my day. Hmm, can bikes boost and charge? Is that a thing that Ravenwing can do? -ponders that and cringes- I know they can in 8th as I have to swat them and Deathwing away enough but is that a carry over. Hmm. Hah, seeing multilasers is a bit of a treat, too. It's something so very 'human' and not that 'astartes' so it's unique and looks great. They have a good bit of firepower, and their decent strength is right at that kinda 'weird' level. But with so much power armour around, multilasers are a nice choice when measuring up against autocannons.  I was gonna say the quad heavy bolter rapiers are pretty excellent too, but that's legion stuff. I kinda like the quad multilaser, it's cheap and it could make a good pinch hitter against bikes, speeders, APC's, and especially aircraft with that reroll. Too bad it can't handle contemptors or Preds head on, but they're so cheap and versatile..

-smirks- hey, no worries on the 2E stuff, mate. I came into this all riiiight before the beautiful Black Templar emblazoned big black book dropped to herald 3E.

-laughs- lo, the picture betrays the Fire Raptor's feared twin-murder guns riiiiight at the top right. I've learned to fear them that it's like scanning the skies: no fire raptor, good, life is acceptable. If there's one there, and mine's gotten dusted or my Angel's xiphons aren't out and about... I'm just thankful that the autocannons can't mulch raiders. Heh, if I was around you wouldn't get me to shut up!

Hey no worries, dude, it's all good. Stream of Thought works good... and man, that diagram actually looks pretty awesome in and of itself. Feels like it just needs a motif animal in the center and it's a campaign/cohort icon! The aegis and ammo dumps are definitely a good set up there around the lynchpin units, then you could use units like the rapiers with inbuilt rerolls closer to the terminal points.

Man, I shouldn't feel bad for superheavies... but I do in that one.  Ugh, I very much do. It is a gorgeous tank, mate.  

Hah, ripping down 4 Ravenwing does seem like they covered their cost there in one shot. Pretty much sure of it, and if they had any upgrades at all then it'll be well above 'em. Aaah yes, blast chargers, just like the fun of fury of the legion, you get one glorious round then 'well that was fun'. I can't wait to see that full army picture with two good sections! Uuuugh, yeah, jinking. -shakes head- man, I'll admit that's one rule I'm glad got really massively toned down in 8E. Jinking bikes were not my favourite thing with the way they added up with night fighting and the like. Yeah, I can see why the rad weapons would be a pretty big thing in wanting to clear out any big command sections and pop off the heroes while the FNP fails, too.

I'm not sure exactly how it works for them to be fair but I do know the guy I was playing knows the rules backwards/forwards and is an honest person about them.  While he might not give me tactical advice ahead of time he is quite open at the end of the turn with things he might have done differently or ideas I might have missed, so that I can learn from the match and carry it on to the next game.  I think the table was 6x3' and since I was in the middle with him on the long ends the bikes were able to be deployed and lunge in toward the Stormhammer before I got a chance to do anything.  The real issue was the staggered deployment since I had to put in the Stormhammer before he placed his bikes, which let him setup to give the best chance to reach it.

--

Also, since I totally forgot in my last post to do this, here is Aevos Jovan in all of his bizarre glory.  Just getting a picture of him was difficult because his little tray combined with his long coat created this enormous shadow across his midsection that my photo tent is ill-equipped to deal with but I finally got it somewhat decent.  lol

Solar Auxilia: Surgeon-General Aevos Jovan

ZMa9tWy.png

So, I know I said I was going to wait on finishing the next set of tanks but I had time and energy to burn today...which ended up being good, since this required way more work to make happen than I had initially given it credit for.  I took a full army shot before of the 1905th but trying to make the shots work while having to toe the Instagram resolution line was an entirely new ballgame.

This is what it ended up looking like when I finally got somewhat appropriate lightning on things, since there is no way in hell my photo tent was up for the job of housing this whole army. :sweat:

l8gSzSV.png?1

So with that said, here is the entire set of pictures I took.  I've reduce the resolution a little bit but honestly there's no nice way to say this except that I'm about to image bomb the crap out of your browser. :whistling:

haS1p3m.png

iDvAHO3.png

cNczcoL.png

a2vXhOT.png

68Zf5ft.png

GIiXykd.png

yzgIbi8.png

a7RlqvB.png

ecDhoVc.png

nCPUiPx.png

oCqXpX0.png

CAH111I.png

Bleeding brilliant mate. As I've said over on Instagram; the consistency of quality throughout the force is just great and getting to see the larger photos on here is a real treat.

I'm really impressed with the subtle tones and variations on the tanks, my armour always looks smooth but very bland and one-dimensional, where as yours looks much more interesting and real.

Bleeding brilliant mate. As I've said over on Instagram; the consistency of quality throughout the force is just great and getting to see the larger photos on here is a real treat.

I'm really impressed with the subtle tones and variations on the tanks, my armour always looks smooth but very bland and one-dimensional, where as yours looks much more interesting and real.

Thank you!!! It's awesome knowing people are finding this thread as well. The resolution requirements on Instagram have really caused me headaches at times but I'm slowly getting used to it. It's a great way to reach people regardless.

The artillery tanks got here today (Medusa x2, Basilisk x1) only one was damaged but it's an easy fix, multilaser barrel broke, so im counting my lucky stars since I got all 3 prebuilt and primed off eBay. I've got them in the freezer right now so I can pop the pintle gunners out for ease of painting and the gun barrels off for magnetizing. Magnetizing makes transport so much easier.

I mention this because I will be taking step by step images while painting these tanks to show how to reproduce my paint scheme for vehicles. It's the same process I used for my Scion air cav as well and i imagine it will work for any number of different color schemes once you establish the right hues. (Solar Auxilia is Skavenblight Dinge, Nuln oil, and Celestra Grey. Scions are Dryad Bark, Agrax Earthshade, and Gorthor Brown)

Thank you!!! It's awesome knowing people are finding this thread as well. The resolution requirements on Instagram have really caused me headaches at times but I'm slowly getting used to it. It's a great way to reach people regardless.

I was actually a follower of yours on here prior to the Instagram account, it was with great interest that I saw some familiar looking Auxilia popping up on the feed, shortly followed by an excited dash on here to see that you'd returned from your break. The image restrictions can be a little frustrating, but if it helps reach more of the community, then that's okay by me.

I'm glad you'll be going through your vehicle techniques, hopefully I'll be able to 'borrow' a little for mine.

Currently painting up two Auxilia Medusae, it took some serious work to get them cleaned up as the guy who had them built and "primed" (read: 25% of the model had no primer on it or had a dusting of it) did a number on a few parts.  I had to break the doors off the canopy and re-attach them because they had been left in the most bizarre state possible.  I also had to pull the pintle gunners out and detach the guns because I am not trying to play Paint Brush Spelunker and painting down into the hatch area to make sure everything is a my standard.

The base coat is done on the first one (not in pic below) but my older cat passed away yesterday morning after being with me for almost 20 years and that has kind of taken the wind out of my sails. 

I'm still making progress just not as fast as usual, I'll update more once I have the first one moved along.

Pic I took after magnetizing and actually priming them.  :ermm:

GdXmUfn.png

Well, roughly 24 hours later, I'm almost done with the first Medusa. I still need to paint the pintle gunner and dull the brassy/gold with some strategically placed watered down Nuln Oil but all and all I'm relatively happy with how it has turned out. Now I just need to sleep! Lol

http://i.imgur.com/EEupaii.jpg

...and done!  Finished this last night but was too tired and totally forgot to post it up over here!  \o/

Now that I have the color placement figured out, I am assembly lining the next two, which is odd as I don't think I've ever done that before on a tank but we'll see how it goes! lol

fdQTzhU.png

Audemus, I'm so glad you started painting again. I've lurked this thread from the beginning and it's inspired me to build my own Solar Auxilia force. Thanks for the impetus. Oh, and lovin' the paint job!

Wow that is awesome! I've always been surprised at how few Solar Auxilia players are out there and it's great to know that my pictures played a part in you starting up a force as well. I'm definitely back painting and much more serious about it now, I'm not sure how quite yet but I'm going to try to find a way to turn my painting into a job of some kind. At the very least I will probably start pursuing tournament entries etc, so expect more pictures in the future!

Brother... your Scorpions are an amazing representation of what the emperors auxilia can look like!

Really liking the lighter greys across the body plates of the AFVs. 

Thank you!!

As to the lighter greys across the body plates, I actually put a short tutorial up on Instagram showing how I achieve that camo pattern but I totally forgot to put it up over here.  So, with that in mind, here it is!

nI4tut3.png?1

Step 1

Apply the base coat. Start with a moderately dark color; in the example images I am using Skavenblight Dinge as my base.

Q6rDVJt.png

Step 2

Apply a dark wash/shade to the area liberally and be sure to allow it to dry. In the example I am using Nuln Oil but if you were using a base color that was brown, I would recommend Agrax Earthshade as the wash/shade.

SmQ9Tyw.png

Step 3

Select a lighter color of the same hue as your base color. Using a Dry Brush, create splotches of the lighter color across the desired area. Do not apply too many and make sure the shape of the splotches are irregular. It's absolute hell on the brush but I tend to place the brush down and create circular motions with it to ensure the center is bright and then drag it out around the edges. In this example I am using Celestra Grey as my lighter color.

rjS2pBB.png

Step 4

Ensure there is barely any residual paint of your lighter color from Step 3 on the dry brush (My personal check is to drag the brush over the back of my hand, if I don't see any paint, then it is good to go) and brush across the areas between the splotches. Do not allow it to become too thick, the intervening areas should remain visibly darker than the splotches, but you should end up with a very weathered camo pattern.

MHBaYGy.png

This same method works with a variety of color schemes; for example, I use the same steps but with Dryad Bark, Agrax Earthshade, and Gorthor Brown on the vehicles for my Scion Air Cav (Example Below).

I recommend trying out different color variations to see what works best.

Ck5Eo2s.png

:sweat:

Thanks for the tutorial, I've been looking for a good method using regular brushes.

The artillery section looks super.

Thank you!

The artillery tank battery is striking (pun intended). Also really like the tutorial. I would have given a like, but I'm all out. It's been a busy day on the donation drive thread as we come down to the wire tonight.

Thanks for the compliment!  No worries about the like, it's all good. :thumbsup:

The next project has been...a chore to get ready to paint.  Entirely my fault but I saw an Infernus on ebay, magnetized and primed already, and had an ebay gift card...well, that *seemed* like a good idea upfront.  Saves me having to waste any of my precious magnets and I could use the gift card that's been burning a veritable hole in my pocket.  Unfortunately I did not look close enough at the picture to realize the guy had put what I think is Astrogranite (I've never used it but it was a gritty paste) all along the tracks and the tanks bottom trim before priming it.

Now, if I painted my tanks all muddy etc. that would have probably been a nice thing to find, but for me I just stared at it in horror. :eek:  I knew if I tried to paint on the tank like the stuff wasn't there, I'd end up being irritated by it every time I looked at the tank and if I painted it like mud etc that the tank would look entirely out of place next to my other tanks...so I unleashed isopropyl alcohol upon it armed with a toothbrush, rubber gloves, and about 2-3 hours standing next to an on/off running faucet.  Now I've used alcohol before on resin and I know it's a horrible idea but I have a good feel for what is too long in contact with the alcohol and I'm also constantly rinsing the thing off. 

After putting up a funny pic about doing said action on my instagram, I issued a warning after completing it because I can totally see someone thinking "oh he stripped it down with alcohol, that works!" and then leaving a model in alcohol over night only to wake up to mushy non-miniature goo.  After having to scrub off all the primer due to the alcohol weakening the existing layer I had to go in and literally scrape out the gritty goop off of every trim component and tank track as the alcohol made it malleable but it was still adhering to the surface.  Pretty much spent the better part of last night after scrubbing the thing down and drying it with a big chunk of resin, a plastic scraper, and Netflix. :sweat:

Yet the veritable sledge hammer solution was successful and the tank got re-primed last night so I'm about to take up the brush and see what I can do with it now.

Before/After Picture before I re-primed it.

U3lr8ES.png

Also, right before the transition to the country-specific warehouses I had been mulling over the Thunderbolt/Lightning dilemma and had decided to start with a Thunderbolt since I already have a flight base ready and they can stand on their own to a degree...only to find that they were temp out of stock in the US warehouse.  As I was righting this post, I checked my email and saw that my watch notification of it being back in stock had been triggered and immediately ordered one!  So I will soon be adding some air power to the 1905th as well! :cool.:

7J0pisc.png

Edited by Audemus