[WIP] 1905th Solar Auxilia: Rust Scorpions

Audemus

Awesome stuff Audemus your Solar Auxilia are one of my favourite Heresy era armies.

Thank you so much for the compliment!  :thumbsup:

Amazing whole army shots Audemus - just love how it all looks together!

Thank you!  It's odd having the army pictures be out of date so fast, I'd update it again but it's a real pain to get everything setup right.  I'll probably try to take another one after the Thunderbolt is done, assuming I can fit everything into a shot with the 3 new artillery tanks, malcador infernus, and then the thunderbolt as well.  :eek:

Speaking of the Malcador Infernus, I finally finished her up and she's quite a blazing beast. :furious:

You can't see it well in the pics but I did get the same muzzle burn on the two front burners, my photo tent is really bad about overhanging objects and shadowing things since there is no front facing light.  I promise it is there though!

1905th Solar Auxilia Cohort, 'Rust Scorpions' - Malcador Infernus

EeYFskS.jpg

Looking very nice, as per usual! I'm certainly envious of your painting speed and productivity.

Thank you!  I feel like I'm much faster with vehicles, even multiple vehicles, than I am with squads.  I think that Lasrifle Section took almost 2 weeks yet I think I did the entire Artillery Battery in a little under 5 days.  With vehicles, at least, I don't feel like I'm trying to kill the task with paper cuts and I can visually see things changing...yet tackling 20 auxiliaries at once is an exercise in tedium at the best of times, especially when one of their primary great traits (rare duplication of poses/secondary equipment on model) works against you so drastically since you can't just zone out and let the brush fly.

This is why I've been avoiding my second Lasrifle Seciton like the black plague. :sweat:   Yet, thanks to the holiday weekend, the Thunderbolt still hasn't been shipped so I started cleaning mold lines off them this afternoon and allocating their weapons.  Each of the 20 models has a specific lasrifle from the kit they hold, so you have to keep them organized perfectly throughout the entire process, especially if you like to paint the weapons separately like I do, and it adds another layer of complication to the process. 

My solution to this was kinda bizarre but it works!   I've labelled 20 painting base on the underside with 1-20 and then I grabbed some day/night pill containers from the store and marked each sealable section with the same 1-20.  That way when I finish and it comes to gluing them together, I can just open the top of the corresponding container and know I'm getting the right gun/arms/etc.  The insides of containers sections are slick too so, as long as the paint is dry, I just return each part to its container after finishing the specific color I am doing during my assembly line work.

Hopefully this time around I will get through the squad faster, as I had to develop the system to deal with them last time around, but the cleaning process alone will take a bit. :yucky:

Stunning Infernus, Audemus! Your Rust Scorpions just keep getting bigger and better.

That's the idea!  If I decide to do a diorama of some kind, I'm thinking about doing the reactor room on Port Maw that ended Ash Scorpions cohort...which is the point in the fluff I used to create the Rust Scorpions from their medically evacuated wounded earlier in the battle on the station.  I wouldn't ever paint up a large group in different cohort colors but I think it would be a nice tribute to the fluff cohort that I built off of to give life to the 1905th. :thumbsup:

-

Also, did you guys see the description of the Rogue Trader forces coming out?

"Rogue Traders spare no expense when it comes to personal protection, and Voidsmen-at-arms are amongst the best money can buy."

Voidsmen-at-arms?  Solar Auxilia...wear void armor and reinforced void armor... :eek:

Which got me thinking, I might make a Rogue Trader team with the 1905th because I think it would be amusing and just use the rules for the actual Rogue Trader team with the corresponding matching models.  I've figured out the following so far; thought you guys might be amused by it. lol

KJgLlmY.png

I'm thinking that (yes, this is heresy, beware :ph34r.: ) the model for Inquisitor Solomon Lok would paint up pretty nicely as a corresponding death cult assassin as long as I made some modifications to him.  Probably still use the named Rogue Trader model though, since she is a really cool sculpt.  Just a thought! :pinch:

Looking very nice, as per usual! I'm certainly envious of your painting speed and productivity.

Thank you!  I feel like I'm much faster with vehicles, even multiple vehicles, than I am with squads.  I think that Lasrifle Section took almost 2 weeks yet I think I did the entire Artillery Battery in a little under 5 days.  With vehicles, at least, I don't feel like I'm trying to kill the task with paper cuts and I can visually see things changing...yet tackling 20 auxiliaries at once is an exercise in tedium at the best of times, especially when one of their primary great traits (rare duplication of poses/secondary equipment on model) works against you so drastically since you can't just zone out and let the brush fly.

This is why I've been avoiding my second Lasrifle Seciton like the black plague. :sweat:   Yet, thanks to the holiday weekend, the Thunderbolt still hasn't been shipped so I started cleaning mold lines off them this afternoon and allocating their weapons.  Each of the 20 models has a specific lasrifle from the kit they hold, so you have to keep them organized perfectly throughout the entire process, especially if you like to paint the weapons separately like I do, and it adds another layer of complication to the process. 

My solution to this was kinda bizarre but it works!   I've labelled 20 painting base on the underside with 1-20 and then I grabbed some day/night pill containers from the store and marked each sealable section with the same 1-20.  That way when I finish and it comes to gluing them together, I can just open the top of the corresponding container and know I'm getting the right gun/arms/etc.  The insides of containers sections are slick too so, as long as the paint is dry, I just return each part to its container after finishing the specific color I am doing during my assembly line work.

Hopefully this time around I will get through the squad faster, as I had to develop the system to deal with them last time around, but the cleaning process alone will take a bit. :yucky:

I hear you regarding the nightmare that is painting a detailed horde, all the trim and other little details on my Kakophoni has driven me mad and extended the project way longer than it should have been. Conversely, I can paint a dreadnought in just a day or so, they're such a pleasure to paint.

The pill container idea is a stroke of genius, I frequently find myself in an assembly pickle after having painted my sub-assemblies separately.

Your Auxilia/Rogue Trader team works really well, I think Lok would definitely fit in there, even as the Trader himself.

I hear you regarding the nightmare that is painting a detailed horde, all the trim and other little details on my Kakophoni has driven me mad and extended the project way longer than it should have been. Conversely, I can paint a dreadnought in just a day or so, they're such a pleasure to paint.

The pill container idea is a stroke of genius, I frequently find myself in an assembly pickle after having painted my sub-assemblies separately.

Your Auxilia/Rogue Trader team works really well, I think Lok would definitely fit in there, even as the Trader himself.

So glad to hear confirmation on Lok, I've been a huge fan of his model ever since the first time I saw it but kind of wrote off ever painting him since I backed off the Elysian force idea.  I went ahead and ordered him last night/early this morning because I liked the idea of incorporating it so much and he's already shipped!

CBMbLqx.png

I am a bit, okay more than a bit, annoyed though with FW right now.  The entire localized delivery warehouse etc means there is absolutely zero reason why a tracking number should not be included, regardless of the price tier for shipping, as the USPS tracks all packages for free.  Yet I have no tracking number for the package and on top of that my Thunderbolt which I ordered on Sept. 1st still has not shipped yet, I had initially put this off to the holiday weekend but considering I ordered Solomon Lok at 2:30 AM this morning and it shipped...I'm somewhat concerned. 

The Thunderbolt was initially showing "temp out of stock" and I had an alert set to email me when it came back in stock, which once received is when I ordered it.  Yet upon looking today it is also showing "temp out of stock" again and my order is sitting in "pending" without any communication from them.  If I haven't received an email from them by tomorrow, I'll have to email them to try and figure out what is going on with it.

The price hike annoyed me but I justified it (somewhat) by saying at least I would get tracking on everything since it would be shipping from here in the US, yet that appears to not be the case.  Not sure what exactly the deal is and why they are still holding Tracking hostage behind the $15 shipping price barrier now but I plan to try to get to the bottom of it once I get the Lok package and can see exactly how it's being shipped.  :wallbash:

Damn, that sounds pretty annoying regarding the Thunderbolt and also tracked shipping. Really looking forward to seeing you tackle Lok though, what are your thoughts for his retinue?

I must admit I am very excited about painting Lok and I've been debating on if I want him to match up somewhat with the 1905th or if I want to take him in an entirely different direction, regardless I think he will be fun as hell to get done and having a good excuse to use my SA in Kill Team makes it all the better.  Admittedly, I think it's hilarious that my Rotor Cannon conversion has the the gun couched right on the hip exactly where GW sculpted it.

The retinue I'm really not sure, I will paint them up obviously, but if I end up ordering a second SA Command squad (which is looking likely at this point) I have a good idea.  I was thinking about doing a non-helmeted Lord Marshal as the Rogue Trader and then using the second Strategos in combination with one of Lok's retinue.  I won't know how feasible this is until I get them side by side but visually I think this is a really cool idea.:biggrin.:

WQRGl7W.png

Edit:

Update - So I received my shipping notice email at 1:12 PM today and then, after getting home earlier, I find that a tracking number was sent for the Solomon Lok order at 5:30 PM...from FedEx of all places.  I wanted to post this because I feel it is important to make people aware of the fact since ForgeWorld, while localizing the warehouses, has not changed the description for shipping on their website.  It seems like the policy areas of the website are still all generalized as if you're ordering in the UK even when the practices differ due to the location.

This is what is listed on their website:

kk1Wq8Q.png

Yet the Standard appears to be tracked now, at least in the US, and is handled by FedEx.  As to the delivery speed the estimate delivery date for the $10 shipping to me in Georgia is this Friday, so basically 2 day shipping for $10.  That's not a bad deal, even though FedEx is not the best delivery service in my experience, it definitely beats a week+ from before.  So if you're ordering and don't initially get a tracking number in the US, check back near the end of the business day and it should be there at that point.

Once I have the package in hand, I'll be able to at least provide some insight into the packing process between what I've seen before from FW and the new warehouse.  Still not a word on the Thunderbolt from them though but I would think it has to be shipped tomorrow, you can't even order models that are out of stock from them and my payment went through back on the 1st. :sad.:

Edited by Audemus

So this weekend, as the Thunderbolt didn't show up, I decided to dig around and look for a project to keep me busy as I don't want to lose my painting momentum.  While digging around, I found the Custodes Caladius Grav-Tank that I got wayyyy back in 2016.  See post: here

Originally I tried to do the tank as part of one of the painting pledges at the time but I ended up with the flu and couldn't complete it.  So it's been sitting on my shelf ever since!  Friday night I decided that it was an appropriately fun painting project and I stripped it down all the way, re-primed it back up and dove in head first.  I actually ended up finishing painting it in a little over 24 hours from the time I started but then I got to the "base" that FW had included with it and it was the most ridiculously flimsy thing I've ever seen.  The tank just tilted forward on to the front and it wobbled all over the place.  I will never be convinced that this tank does not justify a full base and this fact is further reinforced by the placement of the mounting point on the tank being toward the rear.

After some experimentation, I ended up magnetizing the top of the acrylic peg and then mounting a wide/short screw in reverse on the bottom of the peg.  I then literally screwed it down into an extra resin base that I had ordered a while back and then filed down the point of the screw that came through on the opposite end.  The end result is that the tank is entirely stable on the base, although, I am probably going to try to create a way to prevent it from turning on the two screws, even though it is neat to spin the tank around. :3

I had pondered running them as an allied detachment or something with my Auxilia and now I may be inclined to do some other custodians to pursue this line but I think I would only really put them on the table if there was a scenario where it made sense to use them as I have more than enough (soon to be even more :wink: ) Auxiliaries to use up my allotted points in any given game.

So, I guess better late than never?  :sweat:

xPtYcks.jpg

Brother, that Storm hammer looks sweet sitting there on the Forge World site. You're in the big time now!

Also like that you went with an alternate paint scheme on the Caladius. I'm not fond of that eye searing gold most folks use.

Brother, that Storm hammer looks sweet sitting there on the Forge World site. You're in the big time now!

Also like that you went with an alternate paint scheme on the Caladius. I'm not fond of that eye searing gold most folks use.

Thank you!  I've been really happy with the response the color scheme has been receiving, seems like I might need to re-visit my Custodes plastic models and take another run at painting them in the same style.

Congrats man! It's a cool thing to see BaC community members up on the FW site. She looks beautiful!

Thanks!  Gotta represent the BaC! :thumbsup:

The Caladius looks ace, the alternative scheme is really refreshing and I think seeing some Custodes footmen in similar colours would be interesting too.

Congrats on getting the Stormhammer up there too, certianly well deserved!

I really appreciate the kind words!  I'm mulling over doing up some plastic custodes in the scheme but a bit different than I did previously in this thread, I think I pushed too much cream last time and it caused the brassy gold to be dampened abit on the individual models.  I've got it rolling around in the back of my head now. :biggrin.:

The subdued look makes me like the Caladius for once. I want to use one as a stand-in for a Sicaran with my Scars...

I really cannot stand the super yellow gold/red color scheme and since I always stubbornly go against established themes I wanted to have some fun with it.  Really love how receptive everyone has been of the colors used. :smile.:

So, I'm sure someone has done this already, but I feel like this should be pointed out here since I always comment on Auxilia things.  I was looking closer at the new RT Void men-at-arms guys and it's really cool how you can see that, while they don't have the Auxilia armor anymore, they have clearly made an attempt to maintain the same style and armor designs used from the past.

I pulled the pics from the GW 360 and then put them in the same format as the Auxiliaries so the overlaps are more obvious.

nnTUew7.png

Also, the Thunderbolt has shown up, and I took this picture last night.  I stayed up all night cleaning the pieces of mold lines, cutting them off the giant blocks of resin, etc. and I was able to get them soaking in soapy water goodness before going to bed.  Later tonight, I plan on getting them all out and finish cleaning them so I can build this beast and get started!

NxSr5i4.png

PS: ...and yes, there will be Carnodons, soon! :eek:

Um... that cross draw holster is slick! Thanks for posting the side by side.

Congrats on the site pic of your work man!!

Looking forward to seeing your take on the Tbolt

Thanks man!  The Tbolt is coming along in the build process, I thought the engine housing resin was way too thin (I could see through it against a light source) and I've backed it with a nice slab of glued in green stuff to ensure I don't find a gaping hole in my Thunderbolt at a later date.  Waiting for some glue to set currently and for the green stuff to dry some before proceeding on it.  It's funny because, while I can see how building this model would seem annoying to some, I've been thoroughly prepared by going through the nightmare that was the Marauder Destroyer and I am so grateful for that. :biggrin.:

Also, since I made the mistake of getting near my computer, I decided to pull the trigger on this before the Carnodons were actually available and I started second guessing it.  I already bought the sponson package from the GW site for it, so I guess I was somewhat committed, but now I am all in and never again have to dread it being slated for OOP/Last Chance.

udfJqOh.png?1

I was a bit hesitant at the idea of getting another Lord of War until I saw the base point cost of the Stormblade was significantly lower than the Stormhammer (465 vs 555) which means I could utilize it for some other unit combinations when points were tight.  Also, I am a sucker for that huge 10str AP2 apocalyptic template shot. :sweat:

Now if it only came in a Volkite platform so I could have massive amounts of CHOOM!

Amazing! All of it! 11/10 for Choom!

Thank you very much!  I really appreciate the positive feedback!  :biggrin.:

-

I just realized I forgot to post this here which, while not Solar Auxilia, will be my version of the Death Cult Executioner for the Solar Auxilia themed Rogue Trader Kill Team I am putting together.  I'm going to basically re-word all the rules but keep the rules identical to the actual Rogue Trader box rules, just write a new description of what is happening to allow that to occur so it will sound more thematically accurate.

I really tried to use reds to accentuate the 'Executioner' role and the fact that he is clearly a fallen/disavowed Inquisitor who has pretty much gone off the reservation but, in the case of a Rogue Trader, I can see where having someone completely familiar with all of the Inquisition ins-and-outs.  Not only that but when dealing with backwater planetary governments, I imagine he could very easily pull off the role of a legit zealot Inquisitor to get around certain planetary embargoes and import/export customs.

G33m0d6.png

Edited by Audemus

Lovin' the cold gray on that executioner. Very nice.

Thank you!  I was worried he would look too muted but then with all the reds and the obviously *cough* well used *cough cough* sword, I figured it would offset it nicely.  Lok is a very busy model, especially in the chest area, with all the closely overlapping layers of robes and armor (which is one of my banes, I get drawn into stuff like that and then it ends up looking odd because I alternate colors too much).  Really happy with how he turned out. :wink:

Very much looking forward to seeing you tackle the Stormblade! Lok looks cracking and will certainly fit as a member of a Rogue Trader's retinue.

The Stormblade is here!  I will probably start cleaning it up later today but, as the 1905th has a game day on Saturday and I am in dire need of more primer, I probably won't start painting the behemoth until Sunday.  The Stormblade, along with the Thunderbolt, is a model I've always wanted to paint and just never had the opportunity to do so.  Now that the Thunderbolt is out of the way (you've seen it on Instagram already but big pictures below!) I am ready to take on my second Lord of War for the 1905th. :cool.:

-

So the Thunderbolt has been a model I've wanted to paint since I started painting again in 2015 but I wanted to have a clear vision for how to approach it.  Initially, I had planned to make it part of my Scion army but as they fell out of use and my focus became my Solar Auxilia, I had to re-think my paint scheme for it.  I've looked at a lot of Thunderbolts since then and many have just an absolutely fantastic paint job but I've noticed that none of them jump out at you and say "Solar Auxilia" when you look at them.

With that in mind, I approached this project with the mindset of adapting my paint scheme for tanks to the Thunderbolt while still maintaining it's identity as a fighter/interdiction jet.  It was important to me that the Thunderbolt have the kind of ornate steampunk/gothic look of the Heresy-era tech and design style.  I honestly could not be happier with the results personally and I think this may be one of the best models I've ever painted, especially when it comes to transitioning from a mental image to actual implementation.  I also magnetized the cockpit in a seamless fashion, which is something I've wanted to tackle for a long time.

One of my favorite parts about how this turned out is that the pilot is clearly visible and defined regardless of the angle that you look at the Thunderbolt.  This in part due to an experiment I did using the new (well, I never owned it before, so to me it's new!) Spiritstone Red technical paint.  I've wanted to do something for my Solar Auxilia visors for a long time that involved more than just using Wild Rider Red and never quite come up with anything that worked right.  For the pilot's visor, I used Mephiston Red, dry brushed on Wild Rider Red, and then used a very watered down miniscule amount of Spiritstone Red which I applied over the entire visor.  The result is a color that appears bright and matte but when the light hits it, you still have this slight sheen of a reflective surface.  The effect is really cool.  :thumbsup:

1905th Solar Auxilia Cohort, "Rust Scorpions" - Thunderbolt

cmcjC2F.jpg

Very much looking forward to seeing you tackle the Stormblade! Lok looks cracking and will certainly fit as a member of a Rogue Trader's retinue.

The Stormblade is here!  I will probably start cleaning it up later today but, as the 1905th has a game day on Saturday and I am in dire need of more primer, I probably won't start painting the behemoth until Sunday.  The Stormblade, along with the Thunderbolt, is a model I've always wanted to paint and just never had the opportunity to do so.  Now that the Thunderbolt is out of the way (you've seen it on Instagram already but big pictures below!) I am ready to take on my second Lord of War for the 1905th. :cool.:

It looks even better in these bigger images, good luck on Saturday!

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome back BaC! :wink:

This is actually my most recent model done but the Stormblade is not in a composite picture uploaded outside of Instagram. I had surgery on my arm this morning and I'm not really feeling up for getting on the computer tonight but I think this will do for now!

I dug in deep on this test Ogryn Charonite and really went to town on him, I'm really proud of how he came out too.

1905th Solar Auxilia Cohort, 'Rust Scorpions' - Ogryn Charonite

lPqzHlN.jpg

I'll try to get the Stormblade up tomorrow!

Edited by Audemus