[WIP] 1905th Solar Auxilia: Rust Scorpions

Audemus

That choom tank is really cool. All those volkites, rivets and metal braces really gives it that Heresy era feel! Did the pintle gun and gunner come with the kit or did these bits come separately?

Thanks!  The pintle gunner is the FW pintle gunner but they've discontinued them at this point.  It's an option for the model though and I like to have the model represent the weaponry it's using, all of the volkites are magnetized so I can swap in whatever weapon I have paid for in points when it is on the table.  Fitting the pintle gunner on the model though was a real pain, I drastically cut down the brace of the grips where it meets the gun to even begin to make everything fit on the turret. 

Also, here is a size comparison of the Carnodon next to a Leman Russ Incinerator and Malcador Annihilator.

KCitA9O.png

• 2 weeks later...

Mate, that face is phenomenal, you're really raising your skill level.

Thank you!  When I finished it up and walked away from the desk for a minute then came back it really was a "wow, I'm getting better at this!" moment.  Really excited about testing the same method I came up with on some other faces in the future! :sweat:

Wow!! Looks incredible so far.

If I might, if I may, I’m gonna suggest some purple/red streaking in the face to show the jacked up chem/stim junkie freak face a lil more.

Think angron rage face meets DE stim lords

I actually plan on doing three more, as the full squad size is six Ogryns and they only come in sets of three, and will actually be using the next three to play with ideas like this.  I'm also going to be trying some blood splatter effects as opposed to keeping it only on the weapons when I do them.  Even if it isn't in the lore, time line wise, I've come up with a feasible fluff scenario that would allow for Ogryn Charonites to be clearing hulks of Genestealer infestations to retrieve salvage and I'm going to make a diorama illustrating that mental image.  So consider this my first step in learning the model and getting the base concepts down before exploring the super savage realism on the next group.  :biggrin.:

He's a looker!

First thing my Dad said after I sent him the picture, as he likes to see everything I paint, was..."Ugly" with no further response.  Feels good. LOL

He needs both hands added just flipping the bird. Looks amazing mate.

Unfortunately, perhaps hilariously (?), Ogryn Charonites literally have no hands! :eek:   They have their hands surgically removed and replaced with the claws, clamps, and giant chainsaw fists.  The tech is so dark that the Mechanicum will not touch it with a ten foot pole and the Solar Auxilia had to get special writs to allow for them to employ the technology in making the Charonites.  The Inquisition would have a damn heart attack in 40k if this stuff got back out there! lol

--

Without further ado...

1905th Solar Auxilia Cohort, 'Rust Scorpions' - Ogryn Charonite (Open-faced)

eSP3ZcH.jpg

Also, I took this next picture because I get the feeling people don't fully grasp the sheer size of these guys as Forge World never really shows them alongside the other Auxiliaries.  A single Ogryn Charonite could literally tackle a Sentinel walker and promptly open it up like a can of tuna fish to pulp the driver inside.  I would go so far as to say, with armor included, that they might even weigh more than the damn walker just due to their sheer bulk. 

Now imagine six of them, fueled on a permanent cocktail of combat stims, rushing through the corridors of a ship toward boarders.  Tyranids would literally be green with envy at the terror such a scene would inspire...assuming they weren't green already.  >.>

nRthf5j.png

Great looking Ogryn!

I was wondering about what colours you prime your Solar Auxilia models?

I'm looking at my Veletaris and they have SO many tiny details that I'm a bit at odds with what to prime them. First I thought about priming them green which is the colour of the armour, but then I thought maybe simply just black/grey/white zenithal highlight style, or maybe white for the underarmour/cloth?

Same goes for the Ogryns, as I haven't planned on painting them in subassemblies, and they will have some hard-to-get-to places due to their side/shoulder armour.

Hi,

Sorry if I'm late to the party but I just saw this post and I got to say, your force is absolutely stunning!  Love all about it.

I have a question regarding the paints you used on your 40k IG force that we can see in your first post.  Sorry if you already answered that question but which brown and gray did you use?  It's super and I want to try to re-create something like that for my 30k WB Cultists force.  Thank you!

They are so massive :ohmy.: love the fluff for the Charonites yours looks ace man 

Thank you!!!! :smile.:

Aye they're MONSTER.

Someone I played used them as Bullgryns in 40k and my Custodes couldn't touch them D:

I've never actually run Bullgryns with my Scions, perhaps I should look into that... :ph34r.:

Great looking Ogryn!

I was wondering about what colours you prime your Solar Auxilia models?

I'm looking at my Veletaris and they have SO many tiny details that I'm a bit at odds with what to prime them. First I thought about priming them green which is the colour of the armour, but then I thought maybe simply just black/grey/white zenithal highlight style, or maybe white for the underarmour/cloth?

Same goes for the Ogryns, as I haven't planned on painting them in subassemblies, and they will have some hard-to-get-to places due to their side/shoulder armour.

Thanks! :happy.:

So, I paint pretty much everything in subassemblies but regardless ever since I was 15 (37 now) I have always primed my models with black.  Obviously, I've also never painted Imperial Fists or White Scars! :laugh.:  Pretty much all of my brush techniques, muscle reflex on applying paint, etc is based around that black primer being present on the model.  I imagine that it would take some serious getting used to for me to use a different type of primer.

That being said for the Ogryns, I would highly recommend leaving the wiring and cables attached to the helmet off until you've painted the model and paint them separately.  This isn't just for ease of painting so much as the ones that attach to their mask are relatively unsocketed, even though there is a hole for them to connect to, it's a very delicate area and it gives me absolutely fits whenever I pack them because I'm always concerned they are going to come loose and if they do...given the back of the cables socket it relatively secure, they can easily be snapped.  I wouldn't want to be trying to paint around them or sliding a brush behind them personally.

Hi,

Sorry if I'm late to the party but I just saw this post and I got to say, your force is absolutely stunning!  Love all about it.

I have a question regarding the paints you used on your 40k IG force that we can see in your first post.  Sorry if you already answered that question but which brown and gray did you use?  It's super and I want to try to re-create something like that for my 30k WB Cultists force.  Thank you!

Thank you so much for the compliment!! :thumbsup:

Sorry for the slow response, I was out of town until tonight and trying to type this all up on my cell phone just was not going to work. :sweat:

The IG force in the first post used the following colors:

Vehicle Brown:

Base: Dryad Bark

Wash: Agrax Earthshade

Dry Brush: Gorthor Brown

Note: For steps on how to get the same camo pattern, see my post here: Link

Vehicle Gray:

Base: Eshin Gray

Wash: Nuln Oil

Dry Brush: Dawnstone

Infantry Brown (armor/brown sections)

Note: This could probably be streamlined, I painted these about 4 years ago and I've learned a lot since then but I hesitate to make assumptions about the way the paints will layer up without having actually done it and compared them myself.

Base: Dryad Bark

Dry Brush: Gorthor Brown

Lighter Dry Brush: Baneblade Brown

Wash: Agrax Earthshade

Dry Brush: Karak Stone

Infantry Gray (Uniform/Grey Portions)

Base: Eshin Gray

Wash: Nuln Oil

Dry Brush: Dawnstone

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Hats off to you Brother Audemus…. your army and your fluff...… just awesome stuff:thumbsup:  Solar Auxilia is so much fun to work with.... FW has done such a great job with this..... 30K meets stream punk meets Buck Rogers:biggrin.: You've done a masterful job bringing your Rust Scorpions to life:yes:

Hats off to you Brother Audemus…. your army and your fluff...… just awesome stuff:thumbsup:  Solar Auxilia is so much fun to work with.... FW has done such a great job with this..... 30K meets stream punk meets Buck Rogers:biggrin.: You've done a masterful job bringing your Rust Scorpions to life:yes:

Thank you so much for the awesome compliment!  I think a lot of the Solar Auxilia, especially their fluff, is overlooked due to the army being over shadowed by the Astartes who are the obvious focal point of the time period.  It's really wild how many times I get messages on Instagram telling me that, after encountering my pictures and posts on the internet, they decided to pursue building the army. 

Forge World did such a good job of creating these guys and then left it so intentionally open ended as to Cohort foundations and style; they really are one of the most open ended armies to pursue from a lore-writing perspective.  The only thing that I find mildly disappointing is the lack of any Horus Heresy era books focused on them.  Port Maw was begging for a book on that theater.  Horus himself had to become personally involved on the Loyalist flagship at the end to break the stalemate with Auxiliary forces...his 'Sons' weren't enough to get the job done. :cool.:

I swear, sometimes I feel a bit like the Head of Imperial Propaganda for the Solar Auxilia. :sweat:

• 2 months later...

Lil threadmancy... awaiting the arrival of the command squad/ medics/ storm section/ 3 lasrifle sections/ 6 charonites/ 6 dracosans/ 2 termites/2 valdor/ 2 malcador bc/ 2 infernus/ charnodon/ baneblade and stormblade to go with the Arvus lighter that I currently have for my SA project.

Your Rust Scorpions have been an inspiration for years and I am really happy to say that I recently traded all kinds of army projects to a guy who was downsizing his collection.

Everything is assembled and the infantry and a few tanks are primed and ready for me

• 1 month later...

Lil threadmancy... awaiting the arrival of the command squad/ medics/ storm section/ 3 lasrifle sections/ 6 charonites/ 6 dracosans/ 2 termites/2 valdor/ 2 malcador bc/ 2 infernus/ charnodon/ baneblade and stormblade to go with the Arvus lighter that I currently have for my SA project.

Your Rust Scorpions have been an inspiration for years and I am really happy to say that I recently traded all kinds of army projects to a guy who was downsizing his collection.

Everything is assembled and the infantry and a few tanks are primed and ready for me

I’m really looking forward to joining the ranks of the Auxilia and I’m greatful to you for leading the way!

I have 10 rotor cannons that I got when you did your velataris conversions and that’s one of the first things on my list to try- thank you for pioneering such a powerhouse units construction

Hope your arm is better- I spent the better part of the last 2 days rereading this thread and wow your output in such a short span was phenomenal!

Did you get the big knight? Have you played anymore games with your SA and do you have any new tidbits of knowledge to pass down to this recruit??

On top of a LoT of painting I’m contemplating how I want to go about organizing my new army.

I prefer an aggressive play style - mainly as I haven’t really played guard since 5th edition with my Korps and haven’t played since 7th dropped.

I’ve been reading a bunch and really like the idea of the techpriest with servitors and grenade launchers, converting the battlecannon malcadors to the las versions sounds like a fun project as otherwise they’re going to go as I just don’t like the minis that much, baneblade is on the chopping block as well as I really want to lavish the stormblades MASSIVE plasma coils with love (and I like the arkurian pattern stuff more.... and I’ve painted so many BBS over the years I’m kind of done :wink:

I love the infernus model and was just getting ready to buy one when I came into 2 of them - 1 for the nasty chem thrower and 1 for the mega hellhound action.

I’ve not used the valdor and honestly haven’t read many good reactions to its effectiveness to points.

The termites are kind of a surprise include in the list but wow I’m a fan of the idea of tunneling a storm section to right behind something soft and squishy and unloading on it.

I just have a pdf of conquest and am waiting for FW to print the softback copy as the HB is upwards of $350 on the ‘bay right now- I know the red book is $50 but I like the fluff and want to gaze lovingly at the color plates while I spend a lonnnnnnggggg time painting all the details on the las rifle sections.

Currently contemplating a khaki green and olde metal armor for troops and have been looking through IA v1 for ideas on vehicle schemes.

I’ll post a link when I get cracking!

Please forgive me for the absolutely abysmally slow reply speed!  I have been dealing with a lot RL in the last few months and I haven't even had time to pick up a paint brush, so I have fallen out of the habit of checking the thread regularly. 

Thank you very much for the compliments though!  If you're going after that Rotor Cannon conversion well...I hope you bleed less in the process than I did coming up with it! :sweat:  God, I still have scars on my fingers from that but I absolutely enjoyed the process as it was one hell of a challenge.

As to Army organization, I have a horrible record on the table when it comes to my win/lose ratio.  It's probably because I am stubborn and absolutely refuse to substitute/proxy units, so I am routinely functioning without rapier/quad mortars and things like that which would honestly make a big difference.  Something I have run into that, on the front end, is not really apparent as a problem with the Auxilia.  That is the shape of the tanks and the general table size for normal games.  Whenever I am playing, I find that the sheer length of the tanks (Malcadors specifically) creates a real issue  and I often find myself wanting to rules lawyer things just to nip it in the bud but then I feel like that would take away from the fun of the game.

Due to the shape of the Malcador if your opponent is following a target line of "I see it, I can shoot it" rather than a firing arc based line of sight, it is damn near impossible to keep them from blowing out your side armor on the Malcador tanks.  This is compounded by the fact that I played in 2nd edition way more than anything else back in the day and having someone shoot my infernus which is behind a squadron of Lemans and a Malcador because...their tank is on top of the roof of a 3 story building (:censored: is up with that btw? I know it's not just people I play with since I've seen it in battle reports...but seriously?)...well it's seriously disheartening to say the least.

I was asked to play a 6.5k point battle at one point and ran into the issue that there literally was not enough table to hold my army, so I was forced to put things into reinforcement that I would rather not have in such a throwdown brawl while the Astartes had all their stuff on the table.  It was irritating, it's not exactly like I was expecting to win going against 2 chapters of Astartes, but having 3 turns go by without any reinforcements coming in pretty much signed my death sentence.

Khaki green and old metal armor sounds fantastic though, I'd love to see what you come up with!  Hope the project is coming along well due to how slow I've replied. :biggrin.:

Edited by Audemus

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, life caught back up with me and I haven't had a chance to paint in a while.  I figured I might as well go ahead and do the fully army pictures that I have been putting off for so long and I wanted to share them here with everyone as well! :biggrin.:

Thanks to everyone who liked, commented, or messaged me over the course of building this army...I truly do appreciate all of you!

1905th Solar Auxilia Cohort, 'Rust Scorpions' 

DccPP6v.png

hCvxpdw.png

f0oljsy.png

Y3gROhS.png

LMmBtic.png

MWC2Ogi.png

ZIOz4kK.png

K2vq08N.png

K4PK3eN.png