[WIP] 1905th Solar Auxilia: Rust Scorpions

Audemus

So I didn't sleep last night and in such cases I will inevitably sit down to paint things.  As the model has been an itch I have been unable to scratch since I saw the first pictures of it, I decided to take a crack at the Lord Marshal.  I want to make sure it's clear that his sword is supposed to look how I painted it, battered, tarnished, and rusted.  There will be a fluff update as soon as I can but the tldr version is that a Rogue Trader will arrived in orbit around Grail claiming to have the actual sword used by the last Ash Scorpion to shut down the signal jammer. 

As the Rust Scorpions contain a small number of Ash Scorpion survivors and are derived from that cohort, Lord Marshal Marcalius Audacter purchased the blade and has been carrying it into battle to inspire his men ever since.  No one knows if the Rogue Trader was lying about the origins of the blade or not but it's less about the sword itself and more about what it stands for that matters.  So instead of having a nice shiny sword he's carrying the equivalent of a tortured blade that is well beyond saving.

That being said...

Lord Marshal Marcalius Audacter, 'Rust Scorpions'

http://i.imgur.com/N56TJT8.png

Something tells me that lord marshall won't be using a paragon blade... or even a power sword for that matter. :tongue.:

He looks good.

Thanks!  I'm actually trying to hunt down two scabbards, one with the sword in and one empty, as the rusted Port Maw blade is more of an inspirational/ceremonial blade while in a battle he would be using a Paragon Blade if only to ensure that he could protect his men.  My intent has always been to put him with a household retinue of Power Axe wielding Veletaris loaded into a Dracosan to engage the enemy while my Volkites cut down the surrounded men.

I've been putting some thought into the fluff behind the blade and I think I'm going make it rattle and wail to the point where it starts to drive Marcalius a bit mad.  I don't usually plan out my writing to far in advance because I like to let it fill the page in a more organic fashion, so we'll have to see how it goes.  I've been so busy painting the fluff has had to take a back seat.

I'm really digging the look of your Lord Marshal. 

Thank you!  I was really struggling with the upper pelt and the fringe color of the primary coat.  The Doombull Brown shading creates the perfect rust red but finding another color that plays nicely with it, let alone two in this case, was not easy.  I may end up painting over the upper cloak/pelt in the future.  I really liked how his belt turned out, it's supposed to just be metal from the shots I've seen, but I felt it needed a bit more kick when it was put right next to the gold.  :biggrin.:

--------------

So I was preparing to finish off my Veletaris Storm Section when something showed up in the mail that honestly had no right to get here so fast.  In 6 business days I received my first Leman Russ Incinerator and I was finally able to get started on it two ago...which led to it being finished today.  I struggled a bit getting it to comply with this color scheme but finally I did and I ended up changing the base coat from my Dracosan/Leman Russ Annihilator to test it out.  I'm really happy with the end results and it does not look out of place next to the previous pattern but it does give the background a much darker hue.

Anyways, C+C is always welcome!

For Great CHOOM!

http://i.imgur.com/ZVdOBZC.jpg

Looking good, the orange really complements the grey.

Thanks for the compliment!  I toned down the red on the back portion of the tank to avoid the orange dominating the model but it ended up really good and I've just about got my pattern down to the point where my painting speed is going to spike.

you're painting is just so good man I wish I had you're skill and in two hours no less truly you must sup at the table of the painting gods

Thank you very much!  It was two days of non-dedicated painting though, not two hours!  I would give anything to be able to paint that fast but I should be able to get the speed down to one day now that I've settled into the vehicle paint scheme.

Very nice indeed, brother. The Club loves to see members stepping up to represent. :thumbsup:

Absolutely!  Now I have to knock out the 30 Veletaris Storm Section troops so that I can actually field a force.  I'm really digging the Incinerator model and will most likely go for two more of them next, well maybe after the Power Axe guys because they crack me up...  :biggrin.:

Also, because I realized after I posted that I didn't include this, here is a top down of the Demi Culverin in all of its glory!

http://i.imgur.com/yINqdY6.png

Excellent work, the choomtroopers are just divine - they are in way reminiscent of the Helhgast troopers in the Killzone videogame

Thanks!  I didn't even realize that which is hilarious since I love the art direction in that game; I had the thought of Helghast troops in the back of my head as I finished up the below work.  :laugh.:

Lovely Incinerator. I'd use one if I didn't have 40 Veletarii waiting for painting! Think I have enough anti-infantry with that lot riding in the Choomlord.

Your speed of painting makes me envious also. 2 days for such majesty, *cries*

I'm right there with you on the imposing number of Veletaris Storm Sections to complete, albeit I had 30 of them to do and now I have 20 thankfully.  I still want to do a squad of the Power Axe guys as well to accompany my Lord Marshall but that's going to the back burner until I do another Incinerator/Annihilator and the Dracosan that's still in the mail.

As to the speed at which I paint, I'm much faster on vehicles than I am on rank and file troops.  I'm pretty sure I could paint vehicles all day long without getting bored but I have to really push myself on troops toward the end of the process.  It's getting easier now that I've established paint schemes for things but I'm a bit nervous about the Lord Marshall's retinue guys as they are totally random and complicated, I'm probably going to fret over each color and drive myself nuts.  :wacko.:

Really like the look of your guys. Keep it up! :smile.:

Thank you very much!

Awesome awesome army!

Almost making me go for the rank and file instead of a legion!

Thank you!  I blame the fact I started playing in '94 or so and for some bizarre reason dove into Imperial Guard at the time, which financially was like Mission Impossible to a 14 year old, I've been with the Guard ever since.  I tried playing Orks once and it just didn't work but since all my friends were playing Space Marines of some variety (Wolves, Dark Angels, and Chaos) it just seemed silly to jump on the same pile.

The Solaris Auxilia are basically my dream vision for the foot soldiers of the Imperium and now I really don't want to even try anything else.  I'm pretty sure I carried the Conquest book around with me in the apartment and read it through twice while waiting for my first models to show up in the mail.  You can absolutely expect to see a full army completed in this thread as time and finances permit.

====

I just want to say thanks again everyone for all your supportive posts in this thread.  I get a lot of my painting drive from reading commentary and it's why I try to respond to ensure you know I am absolutely reading their comments and/or criticisms.  Anything that helps me learn, as I've been idle from painting for almost 15 years, is extremely helpful.

====

Alright, so the Incinerator riled me up and I dug back into the Veletaris Storm Section yesterday which resulted in them being completed tonight!  I also knocked off the turret/hatch gunner for the Dracosan after administering field triage to damage caused by the guy shipping him to me not adequately cushioning the tank.

1905th 'Rust Scorpions' - Current Deployable Forces

http://i.imgur.com/TDawP62.png

Veletaris Storm Section - Alpha Squad

http://i.imgur.com/h1lUFp7.png

They look amazing.

I wish Forge World would have given the prime a volkite serpenta instead of a laspistol though. :tongue.:

I didn't even realize it wasn't a volkite serpenta until I read that and went to look them up.  That just baffles the mind!

Thanks for the compliment on them!

I must say the red and the grey contrast nicely, brother.

I wish Forge World would have given the prime a volkite serpenta instead of a laspistol though. :tongue.:

I (unsurprisingly) agree. :happy.:

Thanks!

I've just pre-ordered a Veletaris Power Axe squad and another set of vehicle turret guns.  As my last remaining multi-laser will be put on the Dracosan that is currently in the mail, I realized that I needed to have more multi-lasers ready before I ordered my next two Incinerators.

I have put my next Veletaris Squad on temporary plastic bases for priming and painting at this point, I've also got the rest of the command squad soaking before being scrubbed tomorrow.  As the cohort can be fielded without them, I'll probably focus on the second Veletaris Squad and then the second Dracosan once it arrives.  That will give me:

2 Veletaris Storm Sections

2 Dracosan Transports w/ Demolisher Cannons

Lord Marshall Marcalius Audacter

1 Incinerator

1 Annihilator as a starting force

Which comes out to roughly 1350-1400 points, depending on how I equip the Lord Marshall, and should open up to 2k+ points fairly easily with the addition of 2 more Incinerators/Annihilators; as well as the Power Axe Veletaris and their Dracosan.  It's really nice to see that the Cohort is starting to take form and my initial army list is filling in organically, which is how I like to do things...I get the models I like and then fill in the gaps as I notice them.  :cool.:

Edited by Audemus

Awesome stuff man, really want to get started on mine but new Dracosans come with gunners don't they? You might save a bit if they do :smile.:

I can confirm they come with a gunner - your choice of Gotolasers or Heavy flamer.

Edited by The God-Potato of Mankind

Awesome. I really dig your Auxilia!

btw: I am also interested if the demolisher is in the kit.

As of today I can 100% confirm that the Demolisher Cannon comes in the kit!

Awesome stuff man, really want to get started on mine but new Dracosans come with gunners don't they? You might save a bit if they do :smile.:

The God-Potato was absolutely right which, given his name, I was foolish to question in the first place!

I can confirm they come with a gunner - your choice of Gotolasers or Heavy flamer.

I got mine today and you were absolutely right.  I just wish they would include the visor down version as opposed to open one as it's not really an open visor and the eyes are so close to the oxygen mask that you can't do anything with them beyond a little wash to give some definition.  Luckily I have one more masked gunner so that the Dracosans don't look identical and I can use the visor up on one of the other tanks.

Absolutely jaw dropping!

That Lord commander is amazing.

The whole force is great, fantastic sculpts and you've

really done them justice.

Thank you very much!  The Lord Marshal really grew on me though I think I'm going to have to carry a print out of my fluff with me so that people understand the rusted sword he's holding.  I'll probably end up hijacking a second sword to represent the Paragon Blade and cut the blade in half so it will fit under his cape, I'm not to concerned though and it's definitely not a pressing issue currently.

===

I'm slowly working on the second Veletaris squad right now, due to work related interference, but I hope to have them done this weekend or at the very least close to done.  Then I will be tackling their Dracosan, which I've ordered magnets for, and another Leman Russ Annihilator.  When my Power Axe Veletaris are about to arrive, I'm going to order another Incinerator and after that the Malcador Annihilator.  Then it's just a matter of filling out the odds and ends of the army list I came up with initially.

The basic structure, with # symbols marking models either here or in the mail, is as follows:

Rust Scorpions

HQ

Legate Commander (Lord Marshal) #

Elites

Household Retinue Squad w/ Prime (Dracosan & Power Axes) #

Troops

Auxilia Infantry Tercio

Dracosan Armoured Transport w/ Demolisher Cannon and Multi-Laser #

Veletaris Storm Section #

Auxilia Infantry Tercio

Dracosan Armoured Transport w/ Demolisher Cannon and Multi-Laser #

Veletaris Storm Section #

Fast Attack

Auxilia Leman Russ Strike Squadron

Auxilia Leman Russ Annihilator w/ hull mounted Lascannon #

Auxilia Leman Russ Annihilator w/ hull mounted Lascannon #

Auxilia Leman Russ Annihilator w/ hull mounted Lascannon

Heavy Support

Auxilia Malcador Heavy Tank w/ Twin-linked Lascannon & Lascannons in all available slots

Auxilia Leman Russ Assault Squadron

Auxilia Leman Russ Incinerator w/ Multi Laser & Lascannon #

Auxilia Leman Russ Incinerator w/ Multi Laser & Lascannon

Auxilia Leman Russ Incinerator w/ Multi Laser & Lascannon

I've been quiet but I promise I've been busy painting and dealing with real world shenanigans.

I decided to revise the sword and a few parts of my Lord Marshal, the sword itself still looks worn as hell but it should now be a passable paragon blade as well, opening up some interesting fluff for Marcalius Audacter.  I've also completed my second squad of Veletaris!  My second Dracosan is here, cleaned, scrubbed, dried and ready to go.  It will be my next project.

By the way, has anyone else playing Solar Auxilia had their Veletaris Power Axe troops ship yet?  I know Forge World can be slow sometimes but I put in my order on the 5th, they were released on the 6th, and my order still has not shipped.  I try to be patient but knowing it will be 9-13 business days *after* it ships is a bit disheartening.

I've included the new painted squad as well as the revised Lord Marshal below.  I don't have much time to type out things, I have to cook dinner tonight!  Oh the humanity...

I also did a new group shot but didn't have room for the Annihilator, still I think it came out pretty good so I'm going to post it up as well!

1905th Rust Scorpions - Current Forces

http://i.imgur.com/K4jyiKp.png

Veletaris Storm Section - Squad Beta

http://i.imgur.com/ZQX3Oas.png

Lord Marshal Marcalius Audacter - Revised

http://i.imgur.com/Za30Els.png