[WIP] 1905th Solar Auxilia: Rust Scorpions

Audemus

I ordered some Forge World products less than a month ago and they reached me five days after they were sent, which was three days after I ordered them; I ordered some Army Painter paints from Element Games and they reached me later though they were sent earlier! Do note I'm not in the United States though.

As for the picture, they're just beautiful. I just wish veletaris stormtroopers could take rhinos because I dread assembling and painting dracosans, and I don't have room for these huge vehicles anyway. :tongue.:

beatifull as usual

Thank you very much!

I ordered some Forge World products less than a month ago and they reached me five days after they were sent, which was three days after I ordered them; I ordered some Army Painter paints from Element Games and they reached me later though they were sent earlier! Do note I'm not in the United States though.

As for the picture, they're just beautiful. I just wish veletaris stormtroopers could take rhinos because I dread assembling and painting dracosans, and I don't have room for these huge vehicles anyway. :tongue.:

You know, Dracosans are amazingly simple to put together.  You only have to glue the mold joint blocked tread on to finish the entire tank track!  I'd say the the only thing that might take a moment is the magnetizing, as you really want to have both options available to you due to the passenger seats changing (10/20).  Otherwise, I don't foresee any real issues building my second one.

Thank you for the compliment!

Well dang.

That Lord Marshall is purty.

Thanks!

====

Well, I felt like my brain had been simmering on the Port Maw blade long enough and I've moved the fluff in that direction.  This time we're reading a Veletaris Primes letter of concern to the Cohort Strategos regarding what he encountered while walking late shift patrol outside of the Lord Marshals chamber.  I'm really not sure what's going to happen after this letter, as the Prime is a veteran of the Ash Scorpions and not expendable, yet what he witnessed could definitely justify him being remove before the story was told to anyone else.

I guess we'll have to see how good a man Strategos Ultivak is with the next installment!

http://i.imgur.com/RJNFouA.png

While it might not seem extraordinarily exciting, I just finished my second Dracosan not 30 minutes ago and that does mean something fairly significant!  I can finally put the Rust Scorpions on the table as I've met my initial force requirements that I wrote down when I started this...journey(?) into the land of an entirely Forge World supplied army. 

My Power Axe Veletaris have shipped and I ordered another Incinerator the night before last; I also still have the Tactical Auxilia that are built and primed but by the glory of Science I can actually field almost 1500 points in a proper Age of Darkness detachment now.  To celebrate, I have taken a picture with the new Dracosan and the other models, although the Annihilator simply wouldn't fit but considering it was a test model that's fine with me.  I'll play it but I won't pretend it's anything to look at.  :biggrin.:

1905th Solar Auxilia Cohort - 'Rust Scorpions'

http://i.imgur.com/g0VI1OI.png

Well, I finally completed the next member of the Tactical Auxilia...so without further ado I introduce Strategos Horav Ultivak.  This guy was an absolute nightmare as the complexity of his typewriter and the forced blind spots meant painting each part separately.  The typewriter itself was actually really cool because once I figured out how it functioned, I was able to paint it quickly since I could anticipate the parts.

I'm fairly certain that this guy is going to take some tender loving care to get him to and from my GW Store for gaming as the telescopes are both individual parts and his hands are also separate.  The typewriter shouldn't be bad since it socketed into his foot and is also glued to the base but I guess I'll find out as soon as I get these guys in for a game.

http://i.imgur.com/90E7DHy.png

I've also created a recruitment poster using a Helghast poster as my base and then changing it to get the Volkite Charger and Veletaris visor into it, I posted it earlier in another thread but I thought it should also be visible here with the 1905th.

http://i.imgur.com/2TRwy50.png

That is an incredible model. Well done!

Thank you very much!

Awesome stuff! It's really nice to see some Auxillia to break up the Space Marines too! (yeah I said it :wink:)

Yeah, I rarely if ever paint space marines but when I started painting again in April and saw the Solar Auxilia on the FW site...well lets just say I knew I would be paying them a visit once I got my painting back to a presentable level and cleared off 14-15 years of rust.  I broke myself back in on Skitarii which then led me to Imperial Guard/Militarum Tempestus and finally I found my way back to the Solar Auxilia.

I really feel like this army is what I always wanted the Guard to be and will probably focus on them for some time to come.  Glad you liked him so much, I am going to order some Volkite Chargers for the bodyguards in the squad next week and the rest I'll finish before then.

Awesome Strategos man and the poster is awesome :biggrin.:

Thanks!  The poster was a joke at first then I realized it was coming together and finally I found myself really happy with it.  I may make more in the future with the Incinerator tanks and things to that effect, I'll just have to see how much spare time I can devote to the side project.

Loving both the Strategos and the poster. Man, I can't wait to get my Solar Aux started.

Hell yeah another person playing Solar Aux!  I've been feeling very outnumbered here and even more bizarrely when I post up my paint jobs on Reddit, as I've been doing for feedback since I came back, people think the models are conversions or proxies because they've never seen them before. 

It's really wild how little marketing the Solar Auxilia have received, I'm trying as much as possible to get figures painted and posted to make people aware of them.

I'm fairly certain that this guy is going to take some tender loving care to get him to and from my GW Store for gaming

He's got nothing on Valkia the Bloody. :tongue.:

He looks good.

I just looked up Valkia the Bloody and that looks like a headache.  I can relate, having fielded an entirely Air Cav force for 40k, but individual characters that are difficult to transport are just frustrating.  I'll probably have to cut out a few slots in my case to give him room and then use the cut foam to brace him in place when it's all said and done.

The strategos and the poster are both great looking.

Thank you!

I love the burnt orange glow on the scopes and stuff! Such great work man!

Thanks for the compliment!  I was really conflicted about the telescopes as I've been trying to avoid to many bright colors outside of the Volkite weapons and their visors but introducing a new bright color into the mix really made me hesitant.  I ended up basing the scopes with Khorne Red and then dry brushed Wild Rider Red over the center of the scope. 

I'm sure they won't look glossy enough for some people but as I don't have anything on hand to fix that and funds are a bit tight as I ordered a squad of the Power Axe Veletaris and an additional Incinerator tank...well it will have to do for now.

I just looked up Valkia the Bloody and that looks like a headache.  I can relate, having fielded an entirely Air Cav force for 40k, but individual characters that are difficult to transport are just frustrating.  I'll probably have to cut out a few slots in my case to give him room and then use the cut foam to brace him in place when it's all said and done.

At least you don't have to rank him up in a regiment. Though Age of Sausage SigMAN Sigmar solved the issue of square bases and movement trays. :tongue.:

Well, look who finally decided to show up in the mail!

http://i.imgur.com/BKA6G3h.png

I just finished assembling  them and will prime them tomorrow morning once it warms up a bit outside.  I am extremely excited about getting these guys as they were a key component that I've been waiting to paint up before bringing the army into my local GW store.  I honestly need another Dracosan if I had my way but right now that's going to be on hold as the second Incinerator, which is still in the mail, ate up the last bit of my "fun" budget...especially with the holidays coming around the corner.

I will of course post them up once I've got them painted and on their real bases but I was so excited to finish cleaning them that I couldn't resist.

One peculiar note: Forge World included both open top helms and closed helms for the Veletaris Storm Section Nuncio Vox & Prime...they only included open helmets with the Power Axe Section.  I can't really figure out why that is but I found my 3rd Veletaris Storm Section, which I have touched yet as it was waiting on a Dracosan, had an extra closed helmet for the Nuncio Vox guy and I modded one of the other heads for the Prime.  I'll use the open helms when I get to the third squad but for now I wanted to maintain the uniform front of all closed helmets as just one squad with two helmets open in an entire army would seem...odd in my opinion.

Such cool models, can't wait to see them painted with the others!

I absolutely agree.  My only regret with the Power Axe Veletaris/Household Retinue is that Forge World did not do one extra body sculpt to place the axe in a pulled back position.  The actual bodies of the entire section are identical to the Volkite equipped Veletaris, so the axes in general stay level in front of them.  I would have loved to see one of them with the big axe pulled back and to the left diagonally over his shoulder about to bring the pain...I know it's not realistic and, based on the guard bar the axes have, they probably don't swing these things Great Axe style but I can dream! :biggrin.:

I started these guys tonight but with Thanksgiving tomorrow I don't see them being done before the end of the weekend, which means I won't get a battle report in before the following weekend if I have time.  All in due time!

Is the dracosan an assault vehicle?

I'm asking this because I don't think fragile humans with power axes will last long after disembarking...

And damn open helmets. Damn them all to hell.

It's not but it has exit points on the left and right of the vehicle.  I've been working on the possibility of creating a saw/jagged tooth formation upon reaching enemy lines to create the most defensive wall I can.

Okay so I wrote the above line an hour ago and want to say thank you to Knight of the Raven for convincing me that I needed to put my general strategy into a visible form so I could look at it objectively.  It was only after I looked at the formation maneuvers and realized the damn thing acts like a scorpion.  That has to be the most bizarre coincidence I've ever encountered.  It scurries up with it's claws in a defensive position, disembarks the troops, opens up and brings its stinger forward; really weird.

So forgive the quickly tossed together PowerPoint images but here is my Disembark/Maneuver/Strike armoured cavalry concept.  It's a little bit of Roman ingenuity, opening ranks to create a lane, except this is done in reverse.  Whereas they opened ranks to allow the elephants to thunder by them en-route to Carthage for the final salting of the earth, I am utilizing the ranks opening to bring forward the stinger of my armoured formation.

The (V) symbols are Veletaris with Volkite Chargers while the (H) is the Householder Retinue (Power Axe) with the Lord Marshal.  This could of course be varied based on where I saw a close target for them as it would just require me to rearrange the Dracosans.  It does call for two more Dracosans but honestly, I'm fascinated enough with this I might very well try running the entire formation.

http://i.imgur.com/agk90Mx.png

Edited by Audemus

Just a note - the Dracosan carrying the household retinue cannot take the Lord Marshal AND have a demo cannon - it only has a 10 Man Capacity. 

Sucks.

True! Yet one twin linked lascannon won't cause issues; in fact I could attach medicae to household retinue at that point! If I'm remembering right, as the rulebook is not in front of me. I totaled the points with add-on wargear from above and ended up at 2,880 points, without the aforementioned medical. That is with flare shields, auxiliary drives, multilaser pintle-mounts, armoured ceramite, etc.

Basically they are going to be extremely difficult to stop. My final force includes outflanking Annihilators sweeping in from behind the enemies armour an hitting their rear armour with focused lascannon fire. Classic pincer but between the hardened Dracosan 5 HP/13av fronts and multiple lascannons hitting from the front (malcador) and behind, incinerators cleaning up meq and terminators, and finally Volkite and the retinue on the flanks...I feel pretty good about the overall strategy.

I will eventually get a thunderbolt for anti air but due to price it will be a bit. :)