Leviathan Siege Dread tactics

depthcharge12

^ I was just thinking that.

The more I go over the options, the better using it as a fire platform for hella dakka looks. Maybe that's the best way to mitigate it's glacial dreadnought pace? I mean, Deredeos are slow as hell too, but no one complains about that :d

The only issue I see with double ranged weapons (still pretty awesome as an idea though), is that you're constrained to 18-24" ranged weapons, discounting the volkite option.

It'd make a lovely area denial unit, but I feel that it needs to keep chugging up the field and needs to be able in combat, where it truly excels. Hell, the thing is way better than a contemptor in close combat because of its weapons and the fact that it has a flat 4++ instead of a 5++/6++.

A dread drop pod would be great due to being the cheaper option, though, it loses the benefit of being shrouded since a 4++ is likely better 9 times out of 10. However, you'd be able to drop it in and stay inside the ceramite cocoon and unleash hell with your weapon due to it being open topped.

I love dreadclaws, but again it's pricy, and you might only be able to relocate the dread one time over the course of the game. Though it's a hilarious combination because any death star squad will crap their pants with this thing hanging around and mobile. :D

Don't forget this things base strength is 8. It's obviously gonna get bogged down by blobs, but leave it with its arms you get 6(7?) instant death to T4 critters attacks on the charge, minues one per arm swapped for a gun but I wouldn't want my character or precious elites charged by it (on the off chance they were stuck long enough that the leviathan could get there) doesn't really need prowess. It just needs to hit you. Even bigger tougher models suffer due to its 2 wound causing claw

Don't forget this things base strength is 8. It's obviously gonna get bogged down by blobs, but leave it with its arms you get 6(7?) instant death to T4 critters attacks on the charge, minues one per arm swapped for a gun but I wouldn't want my character or precious elites charged by it (on the off chance they were stuck long enough that the leviathan could get there) doesn't really need prowess. It just needs to hit you. Even bigger tougher models suffer due to its 2 wound causing claw

Actually, its claw causes D3 Additional Wounds that all need to be saved separately for each unsaved wound a model suffers from it.

Meaning you can deal up to 4 Wounds per attack in CC, potentially.

Actually, its claw causes D3 Additional Wounds that all need to be saved separately for each unsaved wound a model suffers from it.

Meaning you can deal up to 4 Wounds per attack in CC, potentially.

^^

And that's why I think the claw is miles better in terms of options. Even though you'll swap an arm out for a ranged weapon, the claw can still rake in extra hits.

Edit: the claw's bonuses don't actually come into play unless you're facing something serious like a Castellax or Elder Mantle Sallie praetor. This is why I advocate the bombard/phosphex combo to thin the ranks before charging in, because against something like Red Butchers, you're averaging about one killed 2W terminator if you charge. If they manage to strip a hull point or don't break easy, then you're really just there to hold the unit from moving.

Of course it's useful for tar pitting Death Star units, but it won't slice and dice through them unless they're T6+ and multi wound.

Like Hesh said too, double bombard would be great because you also have AV13 side armor too to protect you against ranged AT. But expect this thing to eat every Sunder shell on the board because if you're not locked in cc, then you're going to have to face all the AT your opponent can sling this dread's way (if they're not focussing on your Spartan/etc.).

Edited by depthcharge12

Which is why im curious as to why its not front AV14. Unless they want to keep Cassian Dracos as the only AV14 dread, it doesnt make much sense for such a heavily plated dread to only be av13

It really depends on what you're facing. AV 13 makes you more suseptible to lower strength weapons than AV 14 would, and higher strength weapons as well will penetrate more often. Half of those hits will fail on average with a 4++, but if we're talking shooting, they'd fail a third of the time with 5++ instead (assuming it'd have normal atomantic shielding instead). So 3 instead of 4 out of 6 lascannon shots will roll for penetration, but the 3 shots will all have higher chance to do something bad.

The big saving grace, as you said, is that the 4++ applies to all situations, and they've really tried to make this a genuine threat in close combat

The biggest killer for this dread would be a Venator Sicaran. It'd snipe right through the armor and cause snap shots, invalidating the grav and Phosphex options.

If they dropped the base points down to 240/250, is take it in a heartbeat, but it wouldn't be OP in my humble opinion.

The biggest killer for this dread would be a Venator Sicaran. It'd snipe right through the armor and cause snap shots, invalidating the grav and Phosphex options.

If they dropped the base points down to 240/250, is take it in a heartbeat, but it wouldn't be OP in my humble opinion.

Still time :)

Could see some adjustments when it comes out in book VI!

I think it does need some adjusting in the points department but the amount of things this guy will kill is a sick joke. 20 man blob of IH who don't take moral tests from shooting and will pound fire into you as you advance on them? What blob....

I think it does need some adjusting in the points department but the amount of things this guy will kill is a sick joke. 20 man blob of IH who don't take moral tests from shooting and will pound fire into you as you advance on them? What blob....

Interesting to note, the grab bombard and phosphex reign supreme against IH infantry because the grav hurts based on Strength rather than having a strength profile to reduce by -1, and the phosphex auto wounds on a 3+ with poison :D

Interesting to note, the grab bombard and phosphex reign supreme against IH infantry because the grav hurts based on Strength rather than having a strength profile to reduce by -1, and the phosphex auto wounds on a 3+ with poison :biggrin.:

My thinking exactly :) I hate playing IH. They make my volkites less volkity

It is startling hilarious how rarely I have to worry about that IH Ammor Inviolate rule :D

But yeah, I feel like huge boobs are going to have serious issues killing this thing just like they do with a normal contemptor. It's very nice to be able to sweep squads , hopefully before catching too many hidden meltabombs or powerfists.

I love how the siege claws put the fear of the Omnissiah in Castellax and other big nasties that have been ruling the meta :D

If, in your gaming group, you face podding grav contemptors, it may be wise to hang one of these dreads with a siege drill back to charge the contemptor and hit first :devil:

I think, in my 3000 point list, I will run:

Levi Dread (295)

+ 2 Storm cannons, volkites

Levi Dread (310)

+ Grav bombard, phophex, siege claw, volkites

Between the two of them, they should eat anything and everything not a Land Raider.

I love how the siege claws put the fear of the Omnissiah in Castellax and other big nasties that have been ruling the meta :D

If, in your gaming group, you face podding grav contemptors, it may be wise to hang one of these dreads with a siege drill back to charge the contemptor and hit first :devil:

Levi Dread (295)

Levi Dread (310)

Between the two of them, they should eat anything and everything not a Land Raider.

There will always be that one time you think ahh stuff it, unleash the grav cannons Wubba Wubba and roll a triple 6.

Levi Dread (295)

Levi Dread (310)

There will always be that one time you think ahh stuff it, unleash the grav cannons Wubba Wubba and roll a triple 6.

"Ahhh the Dice Gods speak clearly now..."

Although I've been generally worried about the arms race in 30k, I've actually been quite glad as of late due to all the other big baddies out there that make your lists so hard to build because nothing so far has been auto-take.

At first it was double Kheres mortis dreads, then Deredeos, and now the Levi is pretty badarse too (though the Dorito still rules the skies).

At first it was double Kheres mortis dreads, then Deredeos, and now the Levi is pretty badarse too (though the Dorito still rules the skies).

Yeah, kind of feeling this too. 

I originally got a bunch of mortis contemptors because they were HS choices that were dreads. Then they became elites. Then they lost BS 5 (I think in HH too? I'm not sure, I think there's been 12 different iterations of contemptor rules if you include 40k variants too that I'm also keeping track of). Then the Deredeo comes along, and is again a dedicated Heavy support dreadnought of my desires. And now Leviathan comes a long, and has now less than 4 cannons on just the one arm, looking all badass with his super beefy chassis.

Will this actually eventually culminate in a SHW dreadnought Lord of War unit? I'd probably gobble that up too, I'm a sucker for dreads.

Yeah, kind of feeling this too.

I originally got a bunch of mortis contemptors because they were HS choices that were dreads. Then they became elites. Then they lost BS 5 (I think in HH too? I'm not sure, I think there's been 12 different iterations of contemptor rules if you include 40k variants too that I'm also keeping track of). Then the Deredeo comes along, and is again a dedicated Heavy support dreadnought of my desires. And now Leviathan comes a long, and has now less than 4 cannons on just the one arm, looking all badass with his super beefy chassis.

Will this actually eventually culminate in a SHW dreadnought Lord of War unit? I'd probably gobble that up too, I'm a sucker for dreads.

You're among friends here :D

Also, don't hold your breath because we're getting a Cortus (?) dread too that might be a FA slot and was meant to be a dedicated cc dread against green skins.

DREADS FOR DAYZZZ!

But yeah, I feel like huge boobs are going to have serious issues killing this thing just like they do with a normal contemptor. It's very nice to be able to sweep squads , hopefully before catching too many hidden meltabombs or powerfists.

I'm guessing you meant blobs? Though, technically your current sentence makes sense.

:tongue.:

Dallo

I'm guessing you meant blobs? Though, technically your current sentence makes sense.

Dallo

SLAANESH INFILTRATES AGAIN!!!

...the one thing big boobs can't stop: a massive adamantium encased ancient superhuman with freakin cannons strapped to him.

Dallo

SLAANESH INFILTRATES AGAIN!!!

...the one thing big boobs can't stop: a massive adamantium encased ancient superhuman with freakin cannons strapped to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5CE-PwDSqo

This is kind of true.

Man, there seems to be quite a few minds in this gutter :huh.:

Otherwise, looking forward to when I can buy Three. Even though I'll probably only ever use one in any Given List, I need Three because Reasons.

...Mostly Because the Dreadhead List is a long term goal and you can never have too many Non-Box Dreadnoughts.