Leviathan Siege Dread tactics

depthcharge12

For tank hunting i always go melta lance. As others have said the grav bombard is better at going after exposed terminators and anything with 2+. Drop pod next to your target and open up with melta, even if your opponent has armoured ceramite you will still cause damage and will be ready to charge next turn... either way you have just made a huge distraction for all your land raiders because your opponent will use everything against the beast letting your more valuable assault units slip through...

I like the melta Lance on paper but I think the grav bombard and siege drill are where you can utilize the Leviathan best. If you still want S9 Ap1 shots en masse, I'd recommend melta vets with machine destroyers. The Bombard doesn't always need to be pointed at TEQs, but that goes without saying. I've had it mess up an entire breacher squad or other big nuisances.

I finally got my own leviathan :D I plan on running him with melta lance just don't know what his close combat arm should be??? I also plan on giving him volkite as well the Phosphex as he is part of a fun side project to assemble a death guard Heresy force which is in the later stages of the Heresy in which they fall to Nurgle. I take it running him in a pod is the best bet as well plan on running him as anti tank as well as hunting down the odd terminator or elite unit

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I am building a BA army and want to include a leviathan.

How do you personally equip yours for mass high value kill-age?

I was looking to equip mine as follows:

420 pts leviathan siege dread

armored ceramite

grav flux bombard

siege claw w/ inbuilt melta

2 x illiastus assault cannons

dreadnaught drop pod

fel that with the heavy 8 rending shots as well as the grav. Termies should get some hurting. Also the claw allows for survivability in combat or against vehicles.

cheers,

chase

Edited by montambro

Hey everyone,

I am building a BA army and want to include a leviathan.

How do you personally equip yours for mass high value kill-age?

I was looking to equip mine as follows:

420 pts leviathan siege dread

armored ceramite

cyclonic melta lance

siege claw w/ inbuilt melta

2 x illiastus assault cannons

dreadnaught drop pod

cheers,

chase

Change the claw to a drill and you've got the go-to loadout for blood angel players :smile.:

Leviathans are very straightforward in their loadout options. feel free to mix and match weapons as you see fit, and have fun with the variety!

The only Leviathans with Grav-Flux that can technically be useful Tank Hunters are Dark Angels ones in the Ironwing Protocol RoW as they get Tank Hunter so can re-roll the 3D6 which is always handy

That's what I've found ;)

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/treacyjohn2/1B2DF068-3540-4C5C-A110-5453C377B628_zpsohcgqhkf.jpg

Though it is an expensive unit, use any opportunity you have to whittle down high-VALUE targets, not just high point cost. The grav flux is awesome when playing against Javelin and jetbike spam, both worthy targets of the grav flux.

The only Leviathans with Grav-Flux that can technically be useful Tank Hunters are Dark Angels ones in the Ironwing Protocol RoW as they get Tank Hunter so can re-roll the 3D6 which is always handy

That's what I've found :wink:

http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/ac316/treacyjohn2/1B2DF068-3540-4C5C-A110-5453C377B628_zpsohcgqhkf.jpg

Though it is an expensive unit, use any opportunity you have to whittle down high-VALUE targets, not just high point cost. The grav flux is awesome when playing against Javelin and jetbike spam, both worthy targets of the grav flux.

I do like that....it's pretty ^_^ I will upload some of mine later when I dig them out haha :D 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure this has been covered (so apologies!), but given the lack of dreadpod model on FW's site and my lacking in the latest rule books:

- What Drop Pod model would I be allowed to use for a Leviathan please?  For 30k (and 40k) in friendly or sanctioned GW events etc.

(I know this isn't the place but I was hoping to get the answers for normal dreads/contemptors too since I seem to have a ratio of many dreads to no transports for them)

The FW Dreadpod is just sorta out of stock at the moment.

A plastic one will suffice in most cases until you can get a real one again.

But otherwise the Dreadnought Pod is correct for Contemptors and Leviathans (and I think even box dreads in the latest iteration of the rules)

Edited by Charlo

Thanks Charlo.  So basically grab normal plastic pods (which I sorta need anyway) and use them until I'm pushed to get a dread pod (when/if becomes available again).

If I'm going to spend that out, are Dreadclaw's viable options for Leviathan's?  This would make the purchase less painful since I could use it to transport a mini deathstar on occasion.