IA: Legio Venator Chapter - Liber Astartes Challenge WIP

WarriorFish

My aim here is to get enough done to flesh out the basics and complete the challenge. From then onwards it'll be worked on until I'm happy with it (should such a thing ever occur!). I appreciate any help, but please keep in mind that this is the first official documentation of fluff that until now has mostly only existed in my head for 20 or so years. As such it's probably not going to entirely mesh with the "current" universe that well, but it's all part of their and by extension my history in the hobby. That and the general theme and approach of the chapter does not lend itself to writing down... Format shamelessly stolen from Belial!

"Legio Venator"

Geneseed: Ultramarines

Founding: Unknown

Chapter Master: Ri

Chapter World: Rakon

Fortress Monastery: High Throne

Main Colours: Green

Speciality: None known

Battle Cry: Unknown

Current Strength: Unknown

Known Descendants: None

Origins of the Chapter:

The chapter is one with no shortage of mysteries, their origin being second only to their true name. Various recorded interactions with ranking members of the chapter over the years have given contradictory claims. Some say second founding, others third and even up to seventh - none know if this is genuine lack of knowledge, different opinions from new sources or perhaps even deliberate attempts to conceal their origins. Given their refusal to ever give names including as far as their own chapter's name fair weight is given to the latter interpretation. Even the "accepted" lineage of Guilliman has some detractors, though the chapter is unusually clear on this.

Chapter Homeworld:

Rakon is zealously guarded by the Marines who watch over it from their moon stronghold, often said to a degree of paranoia. It was once a verdant world with vast forests and jungles, bountiful oceans and a fair share of dangerous and predatory creatures. Along with the many tribes of the world this was prime pickings for a Space Marine chapter to claim aspirants and in this they are far from unique. However many centuries ago a strange turn of events began to happen right underneath the chapter's nose in that the people of Rakon began to unite, prosper and develop.

The chapter continued to take aspirants as they always had until it become apparent far too late that the tribes of history were fading fast and with them their warrior ways and, of course, being useful initiates to the chapter. The Chapter Master realised the error of their previous indifference to Rakon outside of recruitment phases, and the chapter has since taken a very active role in the planet's management. Quite what this resulted in is unknown due to the aforementioned blockading of the system to all but invited guests. It is assumed the chapter is keen to prevent any more "new" ideas being brought in.

Present Activities:

The activities of a chapter that steadfastly refuses to be quantified are understandably difficult to ascertain precisely. However the chapter does not attempt to mask who they are or their activities, so with a small bit of knowledge and some dedication one can soon find out more. Always clad in simple green armour, giving no names with only officers ever speaking a word to outsiders - coupled with a penchant for claiming heads tends to stand out when mentioned in records. So much so that their "common" name, and the various derivates thereof, comes from their most defining trait of taking the skulls from their foes. Perhaps most telling of all is that the chapter responds to the names, even if they will not claim it as their own.

Combat Doctrine:

Despite the interests of a few Inquisitors and scholars and the tomes of reports and knowledge that has in some cases been built up one thing nobody can agree on is how the Legio wages war. One will appear with countless records of the chapter's war machines crashing through enemy lines in number laying waste to the Emperor's foes, while another has just as many notes detailing heroic and/or suicidal drop pod assaults or battle lines of Marines upon Marine holding fast. While they're both arguing a new scribe will turn up with tales of a dozen chapter ancients interned in Dreadnoughts obliterating all who stand before them... In short, nobody can agree and the chapter as ever has no interest in explaining.

Fleet Assets:

(To do)

Beliefs:

The chapter believes very strongly in their namelessness - the fact this extends to even the chapter itself demonstrates how seriously. If a Marine even has a name to be shared with his peers is unknown. Chapter officers go by their title which also makes tracking individual bearers of the rank difficult for outsiders and perhaps goes some way to explaining their oft contradictory behaviour in history. Tellingly the chapter appears to consider this a good thing, making no efforts to differentiate the service of his own to that of his predecessor even to the point of claiming to be the same person. Or at least, such is the belief of those who study the chapter for who can say for sure?

Second to this zealous guarding of names is the ritualistic taking of heads. In this their common name is somewhat of a misnomer in that while they take the heads it is far from a hunt, or any form of individual trophy claiming. Indeed, sometimes they forgo the procedure entirely and immediately leave without fanfare. When it is observed the battle brothers will silently and efficiently claim the heads of their foes - sometimes all, at others only select ones - and build a great pile of them. In particular battles of note this piles have been called mountains, but no matter the scale of the task at hand the Marines busy themselves building it. At that, they simply leave. Again there is variation here in the fate of these heads. Sometimes left alone, sometimes set on fire and in fewer cases even taken away when they go. The fate of these heads is not mentioned by the chapter, should anyone be optimistic enough to ask.

Recruitment:

Once the world of Rakon began developing the chapter's supply of hardy and ferocious warriors began to dwindle, and the chapter was forced to rethink their approach. No longer would they ignore the planet outside of recruitment but instead govern it fully. It was decided that the development of the world was too far gone to stop without causing irreversible damage or contamination in doing so. Instead the chapter assisted in raising the peoples of Rakon, giving them the knowledge they craved in medicine, manufacturing and more. The chapter become their benefactors, literally walking from the myths of the Moon Lords into reality as a beneficent and generous overseer. In return they only asked for one thing; and what parents would refuse the honour and status of having a child taken to the sacred home of the Emperor's Angels of Death? The people of Rakon have no reason to ask why the Moon Lords of history would require female as well as male infants.

Local Rituals:

(To do)

Chapter Banners or Battle Standards:

As is fitting for a chapter that shuns all naming systems they make no use of banners, or even bear a chapter symbol. To them they are the chapter, what need is there for anything else to show this?

Honours, Relics, Decorations and Awards:

The chapter also refutes all honours, even to the point of refusing gifts. It is one of the few times the chapter appears to show any kind of action outside of war, demonstrating clear disgust when faced with displays of glories and battle honours. To them there is only service, and it is little stretch of the imagination to see the link to their abandonment of names. For how can one claim glory when he has no name to attribute it to? All is in service to the chapter, the defeat of the Emperor's enemies is surely reward enough - an attitude that sometimes does not win them friends...

Despite this there are many glories attached to them, even if they don't make claim to them - and sometimes even claiming they weren't at the battle despite many witnesses saying otherwise. In particular there are many worlds that would have been devoured by the Hive Mind were it not for the inexplicable and timely arrival of companies of green Space Marines, fighting with an efficient and mercilessly methodical way. There is also a curious trend of engagement with the Eldar - at times inflicting punishing defeats on the xenos and others working beside them seamlessly. As ever the chapter makes no claim to any victory and offers no explanation for their behaviour.

Battle Cry:

Few Marines speak to outsiders - sergeants will only speak when essential for war leaving true conversation to the highest of ranks alone. As such should the chapter have a battle cry none have heard it. Or perhaps none that lived. It is also quite probable that given the chapter's other beliefs they may simply think it unnecessary or ironically that nobody should hear it.

Gene-seed:

The chapter claims to be scions of Guilliman, and indeed appear to predominantly follow the Codex Astartes (chiefly divergent in symbology and markings of course). However they have no bonds to other Ultramarine descendents or even the parent chapter itself but this is not unexpected given their somewhat isolationist attitudes. Tithes of gene-seed sent to Mars are clearly Ultramarine stock which satisfies all but a very few, who point to the continued and unchanging nature of the stock to be suspiciously so.

Champions of the Chapter:

The Lord Ri

The current bearer of the title Ri has reigned for an unknown time, which is not unexpected for anyone versed in the chapter. Wearing little of decoration as is fitting for a member of the Venator he is an active part of Rakon's governance and a staunch ally of any of the Imperium's arms. That some may consider his chapter's ways suspicious or rude is of little concern to Ri. The chapter is extremely active, with various contingents of Marines to be found across the Imperium as their Master seeks to make the most difference possible.

That even their allies have no clue as to what companies and even how many Marines may be in the theatre is again of little concern to them, and usually proving most useful in giving their foes some consternation too. However there are reports of a somewhat haphazard nature in support, in some cases the chapter leaves part way through appearing to consider their task done and others a force of Marines severely disproportionate to the apparent threat arrives and prosecutes entire campaigns in the blink of an eye. With the chapter ignoring any questions as if they weren't asked it can only lead to guesses and accusations - but to those saved when all hope was lost it is enough that they serve the Emperor even if none understand exactly how.

The Lord Ra

Little is known of the chapter's chief librarian, save for that he is an individual of great power - both in powers over the warp and within the chapter. Librarians of the Legio are seldom seem on the battlefield, and their master rarest of all. Quite what makes him so valuable outside of war is unknown but he has appeared to fight more often in recent history - what this means for the chapter and, perhaps, Imperium is a question some might not want answered.

Quite a bit longer than I expected, but thanks for reading and for any help you may offer (unless you just scrolled past tongue.png ). There's more to do as I'm sure you can see - things are hinted to in the above and not everything is going to be unknown msn-wink.gif The important thing is I've hit enough for the challenge and got this tome started.

Hey, Lord Commissar! It's funny who you meet down here. What's next, giant snakes happy.png? Oh, wait, I think... no. It was just a large rodent.

I like your beginning fluff. It must feel liberating and a little scary having something stored in your noggin for 20 years finally come out on a little screen. Not to say the Commissariat gets scared. Ever. Anyway, I think it's great that you've put thought to paper though I'm not exactly sure what I can say seeing as how my own work is getting a lot of help. Don't want to be a hypocrite, after all. Grand Master Belial let me steal his cut-down notes for my Chapter, though I did re-write it. Well, I'll just start writing stuff down and see how much trouble I can get myself into now.

You've said not everything will have Unknown status and, personally, I think that's a good thing. After reading the Octaguide a few times, it seems there are other ways to add mysteriousness to your Chapter without just stating "nobody knows their origin." Giving us tidbits of information but not the whole picture like you've done with the namelessness (spell check didn't underline that word. Huzzah!) makes me wonder how that idea came to pass. Their Founding Date being obscure is a nice touch because you've set the boundaries of possible times it could have happened. Also, the Gene-seed tithe and its level of purity makes me want to remember the Chapter. Why is it like it is- time travel, perhaps, or is the Warp involved? That's an awesome quirk! In the Origins section, maybe saying they're mysterious is a bit of a sledgehammer. What I mean by that is don't just outright tell me the Legio Venators are mysterious but maybe let me find out for myself if they are mysterious in my mind or not by way of the rest of the article. I want to be in suspense and, I think, a lot more people want to be, also.

Speaking of things that make us want to read the IA (in whatever form or structure it takes) are the aforementioned quirks of the Chapter. The way it's been explained to me a long time ago is that we are the way we are because of our small, and sometimes large, differences- quirks. These can range from a certain accent that we have via birthplace, the way we view outsiders versus friends, and even the differences in our skin colours or religions. How different is my Chapter compared to yours? What sets yet another Chapter of Space Marines apart from any other of the hundreds out there? The decapitation of heads, peculiar Gene-seed tithe, and the way the Legio Venators take both sexes of younglings instead of just the males are all really good differences from other Chapters. The last is especially haunting, in fact. I'd play them up for full effect but not too much as you'd look like you're trying to make them ultra-unique. We aren't all that different, in the end.

The only other thing I'd say is to show us how they are instead of telling us blatantly what they are. I guess that really echoes what I've already said about the sledgehammer. Use a rubber mallet. The Chief Librarian, Lord Ra, could be a great place to expand the idea that he is an individual of great power. Can he slam two Rhinos together using only his mind and outstretched hand? Does a feeling of heavy weight descend upon you when he is near? Something like that.

Hopefully some of that has been helpful. It's helped me out in the past with other projects.

Keep up the good work thumbsup.gif!

Thanks Meh, there is a lot more that needs doing - their relationship with other aspects of the Imperium, the opinions on the nature of the Emperor as well as detail and polish on a few of the things alluded to already. A lot is going to be explained from a non-universe perspective but didn't make the cut for the first draft.

I realise it's more telling than showing right now, but I needed to get something to work on down. At least you know what I'm planning right? :P I plan to embellish it with less uninspired wording as I add more as there is a lot of connection between the various "unknowns" that ideally need explaining all at the same time. How I'm going to achieve this without writing a small novel is another issue perhaps...

Don't hold your breath for some fantastical and specials reasonings though, behind the in universe "none know" the nature of many are relatively mundane :P They make sense from the chapter's perspective though, which to them is the only one that matters!

I know it's your first draft but from what I've seen so far, it looks like the Chapter will be a good one. Maybe I went too far with the help. I used to teach before recent history's happenings (along with other things) and perhaps a small inspirational bug bit me. If it wasn't the right time or place for the information, I sincerely apologize.

I'll be looking forward to what you have in store for us in the future.

No, it's fine I really appreciate the help :tu: I'm taking it as being on the right track as I knew I'd be starting with the basics which is probably less than what you'd usually expect.

The main problem I have currently is trying to detail some bits without the further context required for it to make sense. So I'm left without saying very much in some cases (e.g. origins), the first draft is looking a little too in-universe? I will endeavour to correct that in the next update.

• 3 weeks later...

Been stolen away by various things but here's some updates following on from the above. I'm not entirely sure how best to go about doing an IA, but I'm going to rewrite/add sections and once they pass muster edit them into the OP:

Origins of the Chapter:

To those outside of the chapter's high command their origin is a mystery second only to their true name. Various recorded interactions with ranking members of the chapter over the years have given contradictory claims. Some say second founding, others third and even up to seventh - none know if this is genuine lack of knowledge or different opinions from new sources. To the chapter's command it is simply another part of their deliberate attempts to conceal their origins, to obfuscate and confuse all facts.

Short of confirming their lineage to Guilliman, which is identifiable from their geneseed tithes to Mars, the chapter goes to great lengths to hide their past and none can claim they have not become extremely talented at it. Even the great records of the Administratum are curiously empty or wildly contradictory for the chapter knows well the value of powerful friends. Even their approach to names, history and glory can be said to have originated in this.

Once countless centuries ago they were a chapter much like any other and they would freely associate with others - yet something changed to give them reason to hide themselves. The extremes they have gone to border on the obsessive or even paranoia, yet there is not even the tiniest of hints to suggest an external event that may have prompted this...

That We were once others is of no consequence, that We once had names to speak and glories to claim is of no matter. Who remembers? None but our own. Who matters? None but our own. It is of no consequence and no matter. You were granted no name, for it is of no importance. You are the chapter, We are of all consequence and importance.

"Consequences" - 10th Company's introduction speech

Let me know if this is any better, but I will be dealing with what caused the change in a later part so I'm just trying to set the basics up with this as an intro smile.png

The Lord Ra

Librarians of the Legio are seldom seen on the battlefield, and their master rarest of all. His power, much alluded to and speculated about, is not in battle but instead supporting the chapter at war. He can create a great victory without even stepping on the battlefield as his foresight allows the chapter to be several steps ahead of their foes, constantly adapting and altering their plans according the the enemy's attempts to counter and reclaim the initiative. So much greater is how power that he spends most of his time deep in meditation discerning the chapter's future purpose. So does the chapter have an eerie habit of appearing precisely at the right moment, only to leave once the tide has been turned enough for the Imperium to prevail for there is always another dire emergency that needs aid.

Yet those times he has stepped on the the field of war are known only to a handful of people outside the chapter, for he is their greatest asset and must be hidden and protected at any cost even from allies. To witness Ra obliterate a wave of Orks with a gesture and have traitor Astartes torn apart as if their armour was of paper only leads them to wonder how great his foresight is if it is so much more than his battlefield prowess as is claimed.

The librarians of the chapter are seen fighting on the front lines more so recently, even Ra himself. What this says for the chapter and perhaps Imperium itself it a question that some might not want answered.

Your power has grown admirably yet know this if nothing else; you still know nothing of how little you understand, even with what years you have you are but a child in the eyes of time. I have witnessed more centuries than I own, it is a power not without risk but it is essential for the chapter's survival. This is the path you now step. You will be ready in three or four centuries. Only then I will show you the truth that you seek. Then will you understand your true role.

Lord Ra, addressing an newly promoted Epistolary

Probably needs more work, but again it's referencing some parts that I've not typed up yet so a bit difficult to work it in and I don't think they'd work within Ra's entry without making it too long. Will be worth looking at again later methinks once I've added more. Let me know what you think, in particular if there are any aspects that it would benefit from expounding upon at the moment I'm just going with whatever takes my fancy but it would be better to work on what will help it make more sense first!

You make it sound like I have some pedigree laugh.png Just the wobbly first steps in getting 20+ years of rumination and history into a coherent story... it's going to be a long road! So all criticism is welcome smile.png There is much I've not touched on yet, but to try and make things easier here's what I can think of at the moment that needs expanding on or adding:

- training and recruitment

- why the chapter became nameless and secretive

- the chapter's gene-seed mutation

- the "career" of a Marine and how his opinions change as he gets older

- the nature and role of the librarians within the chapter

- the influence of Rakon on the chapter and vice versa

- their relationships with other arms of the Imperium

Then there's the general improvements to the prose and such along with more I'm not thinking of I'm sure.

The Lord Ko

The Chaplain bearing the title of Ko is, contrary to the chapter as a whole not much unlike any other Space Marine Chaplain. Given to loud oratory his talent with words is said to match his skill with the crozius. With the countless foes he has brutally laid low in combat the viscousness of his tongue is best only alluded to. Such is his fervour and skill that his booming voice has been known to extend beyond his battle brothers and inspire allies from all corners of the Imperium; even the strange warriors of the Adeptus Mechanicus seem to fight harder and with more ferocity when he is nearby much to the interest of their cybernetic masters.

Ko originally forged his place at the head of the Assault squads where his artful words and fine example drove the Legio's Marines into furious charges that would hit with such violence entire flanks would collapse under the onslaught. Many defensive lines on the brink of falling were saved by the arrival of a bellicose Chaplain at the head of the chapter's Assault Marines where he would somehow seem to fight even harder to protect them. It was said his exhortations could be heard before the roar of jump pack and growl of chainsword. When the position of Ko became available there was no doubt who would take up the mantle.

Despite his fearsome reputation he not-so-secretly bears an admiration for the common human. With little in their favour compared to a mighty Space Marine they still stand tall and fight in the Emperor's name and he has witnessed feats so heroic that had he not seen them with his own eyes he'd have assumed a Marine had performed such a deed. He has developed a keen interest in the Sisterhood and has actively sought out fighting by their side where possible, at times visiting their Cathedrals to meet with various high ranking members of several Orders.

No mercy! Do not stop until we have killed them all!

Lord Ko during the Alfa Cleansing

Let me know about the new bits, if they're ok I'll amend the OP with them :tu:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm disappointed. I thought there would be some continuity and you'd have Ri, Ra and Ro :(

More seriously, why the two letter titles? I might have missed that part as I've only skimmed over the article while the potatoes boil.

It's intended as a single character name insofar as it means nothing and isn't meant to. It is fitting that the names they do have and share aren't really names at all!

As I've finished a new model I thought this was a good chance to add another character and perhaps allude to a few more aspects of the chapter I've yet to embellish:

Ancient Seraphiel
The Venator boast a significant number of Dreadnoughts, and consider it a natural progression of service to chapter and Emperor. When a brother falls in battle but embraces neither death nor life he will be interred within a sarcophagus ready to continue his fight in a new form. This does not preclude veterans of the chapter from the same destiny of course so the chapter has Venerable Dreadnoughts just like any other, save for again being more numerous than most.

In becoming one with the Omnissiah he casts aside his old identity and instead becomes the Dreadnought - in this the name is of the chassis rather than the current occupant much like positions of office. So does the name become a long and continuous one of service with little clue as to a change in pilot. Seraphiel is one of the oldest Dreadnoughts in the chapter, despite this having borne few pilots in the years and can be relied upon to inspire in battle. Perhaps he was once a high ranking member of the chapter, if so neither Seraphiel nor the chapter speaks of it as is their custom.

The nature of life is only duty. Duty in life and duty in death, let us embrace both on this barren world.

Ancient Seraphiel prior to the Assault on Hive Alfa

Archived