Death Guard : Reaping : 2500

Charlo

Ah - very sorry!

I'm working to this list at the moment - the lightning one is a backup!

Whoops, my bad. I actually had a list of criticisms for this list typed up when you replied with this a few days back but got distracted and must have closed the tab. Anyhow, I'll type my thoughts up again. I can't remember if you mentioned you were expecting to play primarily vs 30k legions or not? Because some of these criticisms become less valid if not. Or totally invalid, as I haven't gone near 40k for a long time now unsure.png

Mainly, that list has no reliable (and very little unreliable) means to deal with flyers, AV14, or large blobs w/ FNP. Kind of the majority of simple things you can expect to face a lot of. Kind of a big handicap.

Another issue is that you've kitted out an entire Spartan for a rather small unit, the equivalent of transport capacity 7, which seems like a waste. And what if Mortarion needs to shadow away? He's leaving behind only TWO Deathshroud, who won't accomplish much on their own. You can try and let yourself get swarmed for the sweep attacks, but it's very risky with so few bodies/wounds. I would expand this squad, probably at the cost of losing the MLs or Destroyers, and use left-over points on the open heavy support slot or maybe rapiers.

Grave Wardens and Destroyers are both very low damage output units vs legions. If you're facing Mechanicum they can have some utility due to presence of 4+ saves and Monstrous Creatures (respectively), but otherwise... Grave Wardens in particular could easily be replaced by scoring Cataphractii with pfists & combi-weapons and have way more utility. I think you're sticking with the GW as you have the models (?) so another point towards losing the Destroyers

As for Levi vs MLs, it's kind of up to you. MLs are static and I don't like them personally. I will point out that you noted "anti light armour" as a pro for the Storm cannon, but there's really no light armour in a legion list. Even vs AV13 it'll probably get two glances a turn tops if you're lucky, which isn't great. Since the model isn't out I won't have the chance to use it for a while, but I'm leaning towards dual-Grav or dual-Storm (+phosphex either way) and just have them hunt infantry. Both options look fun, and probably more effective than a ML squad in general

Some good points! I appreciate the input.

I'll be using this against whatever really!

I see what you mean about the Spartan contents. I'm not sure what to do about getting the points anywhere else though. The shroud make up my mandatory HQ choice. The plan with them was to hope for a first turn charge using full movement, plus disembark, plus morty warp and charge to instantly get him into the enemy lines while the two dudes take out another backfield unit. Scythe and being and to challenge helps against sergeants but I suppose it's a big taxi for a small unit.

I can see destroyers being effective, jump packs and move through cover keep them in a safe place and able to get into good fire lanes to threaten the FNP blobs you describe with rad death. But they are a points sink as much as I love them.

Grave wardens are basically the same price as normal terms for "better" gear, so I'll keep those. Can't argue at thier survivability or decent damage output.

Against AV I have plenty of Melta Bombs and chain Fists to hit with I think.

Maybe I drop the shroud and raider, put morty with the wardens in the spartan to make a true wall and see what I can get out of that. Only problem is then I feel I lose some of my redundancy as the two av14 threat boxes seem to help that.

Obviously now I need a HQ choice so perhaps a primus to roll with the wardens in that box of doom... We shall see.

Watxh this space

I can see destroyers being effective, jump packs and move through cover keep them in a safe place and able to get into good fire lanes to threaten the FNP blobs you describe with rad death. But they are a points sink as much as I love them.

You plan on dealing with tac blobs by paying 440 points for two 3" blasts that don't negate FNP? wacko.png

You plan on dealing with tac blobs by paying 440 points for two 3" blasts that don't negate FNP? wacko.png

Yeah I realised what I said after I typed it... Maybe if destroyers for a couple more blasts it could work....

Maybe I should just give in and use quad mortars? :P

• 4 weeks later...

Okay so from my original list I decided Destroyers are just not worth it, yes they're fluffy and maybe fun, but 350+ points for a Rhino and some power armour to fire off two missiles a turn just doesn't cut it at this level.

So instead (seeing as I got some nice heavy flamer bits) I've decided to double down and run two squads of 5 man heavy flamers in rhinos instead, with Rad grenades for ultimate over watch.

So now to recap the list is:

2500pts

Mortarion

Primus Medicare in TDA & Rad nades

4 Deathshroud with Melta bombs

2x Ten Tacs with AA & Melta Bombs in a Rhino

2x Five Heavy Flamers with Rad nades in a Rhino

Lightning with 2 Krak and a Phosphex

5 Grave Wardens with a chain fist in a LR

Spartan for the big man with all the trimmings.

Considering I'll be able to make this from the Calth box + a Spartan, Plane and a couple more eBay Rhinos it could work out.

Plan would be to use my 5 scoring units to hold objectives with Stubborn from Mortarion, while he hopefully works his way through thier line. Nasty AV sorted out by releasing the Kraken.

Archived