The Liber Challenges part Eight - Age of Darkness

Aqui

gallery_48988_6285_434523.png

The Liber Moderatii faced the enemy spectres along side their equally ghostly allies with grim determination. They were used to unusual or downright weird phenomena in their day to day lives but this, well this was a first. Marines on both sides sported insignia that were either vaguely familiar to completely unknown. Olis had noticed that more than a few had the same symbols but were attacking each other. Some had an early example of the Aquila emblazoned on their chest armour, others had a Thunderbolt motif, others still had an eye, one that gave the viewer a headache if stared at for too long.

"Aqs! To the left!" His colleague faced a Marine that loomed over him by a clear foot and entirely maddened by rage, his form showing signs of corruption. Mark III plate twisted into shapes that should not be possible. Spittle flying from his maw, the teeth were sharp, bestial. Barely raising a chainsword in time to parry the blow, Aquilanus sidestepped to allow the foe to sweep past him, his Melta pistol aimed squarely at his head. The discharge should have incinerated everything over his shoulders, but the Marines form seemed to turn to an echo. Not having time to ponder on this, he looked over to Olis, who had experienced a similar outcome.

In fact, all of the combatants were fading and disappeared.

"What the hell is going on?!" Conn snarled, his usual calm demeanour rattled by what he experienced.

"Not a clue..." Ly saw an object on the floor away from them. Stooping to inspect it, he glanced at the others and blinked in surprise. Their faces seemed to change and twist, making faces of anger, hate, avarice and bitter betrayal. Ly blinked again and their faces were...normal. The look of confusion on his face was shared by the others.

"Did...did you see that?"

"Yes, Olis." Aquilanus spoke slowly, his weapon pointed to the floor, but his form was poised, ready to attack. Attack? he thought, but...why? The others' faces had changed over and over, mocking and taunting him. The Many Man shook his head, trying to clear his own thoughts, but try as he did, he could feel them clouded, befuddled. Thoughts of honour, fraternity warred with anger, betrayal and lust for power. Could he really trust the others?

Well, could he?

All at once, four weapons were raised at another. The whine of Melta and Volkite pistols cut the silence, deafening the four as each struggled to clear their minds. Fingers slowly pulling back a trigger.

Before firing.

Welcome to the Liber Challenge, part EIGHT!

This is the last part of the challenges, save next months' "mop up" round allowing members to revisit failed challenges.

This month focuses on the Age of Darkness, so members are encouraged to sign up and create a force appropriate to the latter part of the Great Crusade, Horus Heresy and the Scouring! This could take the form of:

A Company, Chapter (or appropriately named group) of one of the eighteen Legiones Astartes
A Mechanicum or Dark Mechanicum force
An Imperial Army force
A Knights House
A "Shattered Legions" force

Or any mixture of the above. The main stipulation is that any force created for the challenge should not contradict with existing fluff that is current. Certain areas of the setting which could be considered a "grey area" (i.e. something that either has contradictory evidence, or something we don't know about, but could be viewed as "true" or "possible" are admissible at discretion).

Valid Example: Member 1 decides to create a force based around the survivors of the Isstvan massacre that arrived on Macragge that doesn't include known characters. Some interaction with known characters is okay, but the force itself should not have them included.

Invalid Example: Member 2 decides to create a force of Vlka Fenryka that arrive on Calth to assist the XIII Legion survivors exterminate XVII Legion remnants.

To enter members must make the following vow in this topic:

"I [insert forum name], vow to create [insert name of force], in the name of [insert Primarch or commanding head of said force], by 6pm GMT on the Twenty-fifth of November 2015. This I swear in the name of [insert name of Horus, Him on Earth or other]!"

Each entry must have as a minimum, the following:

Name of Primarch/Mechanicum faction/Imperial Army name, etc (or a suitable collective name)

Faction side (Horus or the Emperor)

Colour scheme (either a representation using the B+C painters, pictures of models, or a detailed description if it's not possible to use images)

General Background

Notable campaigns/battles

Notable characters

Battle cry/catechism

Any other pertinent information

To show your participation in this event Grotsmasha thumbsup.gif has created the following for members to place in their signatures. Members are asked to bear in mind the rules regarding signatures when adding the graphics below msn-wink.gif

gallery_48988_6285_1157.png

gallery_48988_6285_5385.png

The rewards for completion:

gallery_48988_6285_1453.pnggallery_48988_6285_7393.pnggallery_48988_6285_6522.pnggallery_48988_6285_4037.png

gallery_48988_6285_31833.png

I hope to see your participation in this! thumbsup.gif

The Vows:

Archidamus - 9th Company, 1st Fellowship,XVth Legion, "Thousand Sons"
Aquilanus - LXXV Chapter - Invidos Umbram, "the Hateful Shadow", VIII Legion "The Night Lords"
Athrawes - The 97th Company Lightning Bearers, II Legion
Audemus - 1905th Solar Auxilia, Rust Scorpions (Quick off the mark "award"! laugh.png )
Barabbas Sogalon - 26th Company "the Noctis Infernae", VIII Legion "The Night Lords"
Conn Eremon - To be decided.
Dizzyeye - Strike Force Artemis of the Knights Errant
EesiOh - The Silent Laughter
Iron Hands Fanatic - Clan Brannsar of the Xth Legion, "Iron Hands"
Helterskelter - The 123rd company, VIII Legion, "Night Lords"
Kelborn - The exiled and forgotten XI Legion Astartes
Lord Thørn - XCIIIrd Grand Battalion of the IV Legion, "Iron Warriors"
marine7312000 - The 206th Company of the IX Legion, "Blood Angels"
Marshal Rohr - Full order of battle of the Kali-Gandaki District
MikhalLeNoir - the 53th Company of the Wardens of Light, XI Legion
MindOfMetal - 17th Chapter of Clan Sorrgol, X Legion "Iron Hands"
Ninjasuperspy - XLII Special Task Battalion 'Striking Serpents' XX Legion, "Alpha Legion"
Nevindar - Mechanicum Force: Charon (Sol Fleet)
Olis - Patrol Group Arachne, VII Legion, "Imperial Fists"
Perth - The Lernaean Brotherhood, XX Legion, "Alpha Legion"
"The Boater - Followers of the Iron Disciple, X Legion "Iron Hands"
Wolf_Pack - Ikarion's 27th Battle Company (World Eaters)

"I MindOfMetal, vow to create the 17th Chapter of Clan Sorrgol, in the name of Marshal Cynbel the Relic of the 10th Legion, by 6pm GMT on the Twentieth of November 2015. This I swear in the name of Ferrus Manus!"

Question:

Shattered Legion = II and XI?

Sorry that I ask but I want to be sure.

I was going to post something about the II and XI. Long story short, if members want to submit a vow about either of them, then that is fine as long as it doesn't go against the established fluff - i.e. that before the end of the Great Crusade (if I recall correctly) that they no longer exist and take no further part in the larger story. Other than that - fair game! thumbsup.gif

Ah - having re-read what you'd put, I meant that "Shattered" Legions" = Isstvan survivors. But as I typed above, if you want to make an article on a version of either the II or XI Legions, then that's fine as long as their participation ends when they no longer exist in canon smile.png

Question:

Shattered legions are generally considered to be the Iron Hands, Salamanders and Raven Guard after the events of the dropsite massacre.

Question:

I was going to post something about the II and XI. Long story short, if members want to submit a vow about either of them, then that is fine as long as it doesn't go against the established fluff - i.e. that before the end of the Great Crusade (if I recall correctly) that they no longer exist and take no further part in the larger story. Other than that - fair game! thumbsup.gif

Ah - having re-read what you'd put, I meant that "Shattered" Legions" = Isstvan survivors. But as I typed above, if you want to make an article on a version of either the II or XI Legions, then that's fine as long as their participation ends when they no longer exist in canon smile.png

Ok, I can live with that. msn-wink.gif

Thought, because you wrote both "all 18 legions" and "shattered legions", you ment the two lost ones.

Thanks for clarifying this. Will probably write an article about the XI legion. When I have a name, I will write my vow. smile.png

Man, those 30 days will be tough. laugh.png

"I Athrawes, vow to create The 97th Company Lightning Bearers, in the name of Icarion, the Second Son, Master of the II Legion Astartes, by 6pm GMT on the Twentieth of November 2015. This I swear in the name of The Emperor!"

I am going to do something a bit different this time, and see if I can get a collaborative effort going. Each of Forge World's Legion articles, which I will be using as a template, are centered around a particular inter-legionary conflict. Isstvan III and V, Calth, and the upcoming Prospero.

So my article will be based around a Legion or other force that comes into conflict with another force. Where I am hoping to see some collaboration is in this other force. If anybody wants to collaborate on this project with me, please send me a message and we can work together. The central conflict will be a product of both our imaginations, while we build our own DIYs separately to act upon the stage together.

There will only be one central conflict, but if I get more than one interested party, we can work together to build a list of notable conflicts or I can help everyone get in contact with each other and spread the collaboration beyond just with me.

If anyone is interested, let me know. As for forces, I have ideas aplenty. I'll choose any Legion, any allegiance, whatever most inspires me as the collaboration begins.

And so:

I Conn Eremon, vow to create an Age of Darkness force, in the manner as determined by own personal challenge, by 6pm GMT on the Twentieth of November 2015. This I swear in the name of those whose cause I may devote myself to!

If nobody wants to collaborate, I have a XII Legion idea that is already set in my head and can do on my own.

That's a great idea Conn, but I'm meaning to go a little ape-:cuss by creating two Legion forces, both fighting over the same sector of space. In the interest of my schoolwork though, I'll vow them one at a time, just in case...

I Lord Thørn, vow to create the XCIIIrd Grand Battalion of the Iron Warriors, in the name of Warsmith Setal Berdax, by 6pm GMT on the Twentieth of November 2015. This I swear in the name of Him on Earth!

I Audemus, vow to create the 1905th Solar Auxilia Cohort, the ‘Rust Scorpions’, in the name of Lord Marshal Marcalius Audacter, by 6pm GMT on the Twentieth of November 2015. This I swear in the name of Grail, Terra, and the Imperium of Mankind!

Direct Link to Forum Post:  Click Here

Audemus - that was quick! blink.png Whilst your post is fine as it is, it might be easier if you start a new topic for your vow. That way, everyone can find it without having to scroll through this topic (previous challenge topics ran for more than a few pages) smile.png

"I MikhalLeNoir, vow to create the 53th Company of the Wardens of Light, in the name of Gwalchavad, the Pariah, Sire of the XI Legion Astartes, by 6pm GMT on the Twentieth of November 2015. This I swear in the name of Light!"

im so upset... I just finished up my scouring stuff a few days ago genuinely really mad

A pity sad.png Still, there's always the chance to try something new smile.png There's no cut off for entering this, so if inspiration strikes between now and this time next month... smile.png

"I Barabbas Sogalon, vow to create the VIII Legion 26th Company "the Noctis Infernae", in the name of Battle-Captain Aliksandr Saevus, the Lord of Infernal Night, by 6pm GMT on the Twentieth of November 2015. This I swear in the name of Terra, Albia and the memory of Unification!"

Death to the Primarch, death to the Nostramans!

I Marshal Rohr, vow to create the full order of battle of the Kali-Gandaki District, in the name of the Emperor, by 6pm GMT on the Twentieth of November 2015. This I swear in the name of the War Father!"

Order of Battle

Imperial Fists 7th Company, 3rd Terran Household Guard Chapter

187th Solar Cohort 'the Old Guard'

117th Reichsguard Storm Division

Taghmata Octavius

House Thorn, Sworn Vassal to Legio Gryphonicus

Potentially to be included

Blood Angels 181st Company, 18th Dominion of Angels

White Scars Brotherhood of Cold Dawn, Horde of the Night Sky

The 173rd Nord Merican Void Assault Regiment

The 39th Hyperborean Highlander War-Clan

Archived