Oh this is really well done. Lovely crisp painting and good modelling too, am looking forward to seeing that Fire Raptor progress.

Thank you for your kind words, I am really pleased you like them.

Almost done with my first 30k Tactical Squad now. Just decals to go but I'll wait till Inferno is released to apply them.

This squad is a rarity amongst the Vlka Fenryka it is one of the last remaining squads fully made up of Terran born marines who fought with the legion before Russ was found by the Emperor on Fenris.

All the fluff about the Wolves never goes beyond 13 Companies but I cannot believe that even in a small legion like The Rout there were not more than 13. Until Inferno tells us otherwise I will assume there are many more companies than 13. Mine will be the 59th Company of the Vlka Fenryka - Fyf-Dekk Tra-Tra led by Jarl Gargan Krangnir.

31840739210_510cb6a836_z.jpg

32216442845_670bc4c097_z.jpg

32178374166_f30f54fbe0_z.jpg

Also as promised here are some more WIP shots of my Fire Raptor - Wind of Asaheim

32216842145_15d7cf9051_z.jpg

32098121361_39ee99b120_z.jpg

32068044892_b00c51479e_z.jpg

Still plenty to do of course.

Comments and criticism welcome.

I am beginning now to build my first Veteran Tactical Squad.

I've never quite been happy with the fact that the members of the Vlka Fenryka, who are supposed to be excellent hunters, only ever seem to hunt and kill wolves. In my next few squads I intend to use alternative trophies from the creatures of Fenris.

31394368694_3a30b5e1cd_z.jpg

I am not entirely happy with the Veteran Sergeant on the left of this picture... he looks a little like he is wearing a bib... I may need to add something else to break up the model a little. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I intend to paint the Sergeant with a troll hide trophy (electric/ice blue) and the missile launcher with a Kraken skin trophy (sea green)

I have also finished the base coat on my Cataphrachii Terminators.

32116997391_c0b45c1d76_z.jpg

Thoughts or comments welcome.

I've finished building my Veteran Tactical Squad just waiting for some Forge World shoulder pads to arrive.

32292050906_d088024c75_z.jpg

A couple of character models with axes for close combat weapons. With any bareheaded models I am adding maglocked helmets.

31520307173_0118174a61_z.jpg

I've added a dagger and a helm to my veteran sergeant which I think balances out the model a bit better.

31520307273_9929dd5d25_z.jpg

I've almost finished my converted Wolf Priest Morten the Black now just the chooser of the slain and transfers to go. This is also the first time I've ever done a power weapon using my airbrush I rather like how it came out.

32293155536_a0d7fc6e64_z.jpg

31521363463_ba0cf4ab78_z.jpg

32332205045_f4e21b48e4_z.jpg

Any feedback would be welcome.

Edited by Carrick

Stunning wolves, specially the 30K squad, what greys are you using?

(Mine have still come out blueish despite using mechanicus grey and dawnstone)

Thanks. I also use Mechanicus Standard Grey as a basecoat but it is done almost as a zenithal highlight leaving the deeper shadows black. Then I do a light air brush highlight with Dawnstone. Fianlly I do an edge highlight with Dawnstone and for character minitures I do a top edge highlight with Administratum Grey.

Hope that is useful.

Forge World is so dangerous... once you start buying it is hard to stop!

I've bought a few new models to strengthen my 30k force.

First up is my new Contemptor, I saw a great conversion of the Death Guard Contemptor an I am attempting to do something similar. I am also trying a more interesting base.

31655743813_f8078b87e9_z.jpg

Close up.

31624104584_5c8e5e032b_z.jpg

Also my 5 year old son has started trying to copy Daddy so here is his first attempt :)

32467472675_65d5a0360c_z.jpg

32346015021_a9a32a2541_z.jpg

So proud! Apart from the fact that he wants to paint them as Ultramarines!

Nothing wrong with ultramarines!

Must say the wolves are looking great. Love that grey color they had during the heresy. The fire raptor's paint job looks on point and the contemptor looks like he's off to a great start.

Good job, overall. The hazard stripes on the Vindicators siege shield seems an Iron Warriors-type decoration, though- hope it doesn't end up the victim of misidentification and "friendly fire."

Thanks. I did think about the IW connection but fancied trying out the technique anyway :smile.:

Nothing wrong with ultramarines!

Must say the wolves are looking great. Love that grey color they had during the heresy. The fire raptor's paint job looks on point and the contemptor looks like he's off to a great start.

I've spent too long painting Space Wolves I think! Thanks for your kind words.

I am playing about with the weapons posing of my Contemptor and want something quite dynamic. Here are a few options I am thinking of any thoughts?

Reaching claw

31635608164_acaf254382_z.jpg

Upper cut

32438721716_6fec66615b_z.jpg

Choom!

32479303925_ef95156fea_z.jpg

About to be impaled!

31667692133_30f8072fb3_z.jpg

The final option is I think my favourite. With the legs crouched over the corpse of a fallen Thousand Son ready to attack. But any feedback would be very welcome.

Edited by Carrick

Progress.

32355070162_419726a1a4_z.jpg

31663690644_ab66b46c99_z.jpg

32466382776_2d70a0a0cf_z.jpg

I need to adjust the basing a bit so that the detached lower leg is crushed under the Contemptor's foot.

I've also been working on making the posing of the BoC Conemptor is a little better.

32466382756_99870c8548_z.jpg

31695597533_634701f8fb_z.jpg

I cut the leg off and the waist and then pinned and green stuffed the joints.

Any comments or criticism welcome :)

I decided to make my own lightbox to improve my photos.

32556610496_3a802f17e8_z.jpg

Just the lights help.

32474142921_09c69aa9d2_z.jpg

I'm not certain but I think the filters are a bit too thick so the light is not bright enough.

31784920313_9562da6ea9_z.jpg

31753238864_a105ed0c19_z.jpg

It would be good to get some feedback. I am also pretty much finished with my Cataphractii Terminators any comments or criticism would be very welcome.

Really well painted wolves.

With regards photos, I think the light isn't quite right. I tend to have a lamp either side behind he camera when I try. As a suggestion, this is what those kind folks at the Warhammer community site suggest.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/13/the-model-photo-how-to-photograph-models-for-display/

Really well painted wolves.

With regards photos, I think the light isn't quite right. I tend to have a lamp either side behind he camera when I try. As a suggestion, this is what those kind folks at the Warhammer community site suggest.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2016/11/13/the-model-photo-how-to-photograph-models-for-display/

Thanks that is really useful. I will give it a try. I really like your wolves and your Leman Russ is excellent, I have him sitting in a box at the moment but am a little nervous to get started on him.

Good job on the Contemptors. By the way, which Legion's Contemptor is stomping on which Legion's Marine in the following images?

Is this a Space Wolves Contemptor stomping on a Thousand Sons Traitor Marine, or...?

Thanks a lot, it is definitely a Space Wolves Contemptor stomping on a Thousand Sons Marine. I am trying out the Forge World style of red for the dead marine which has been fun so far.

A little update for this evening I give you one crushed Thousand Sons marine.

32500393692_66d2a1c2cd_z.jpg

32500408762_229f467f9c_z.jpg

32500401512_ea5a917234_z.jpg

He still needs weapons to be painted, gore and transfers to be added. Then I will apply him to the base and weather him appropriately.

I really enjoyed painting this figure the Forge World transparent paint is fun to use. I am almost tempted to do a small Thousand Sons force... if they weren't such colossal heretics!

Comments and criticism welcome as always :smile.:

Edited by Carrick

Wow, yourTS dead un is great.

I've worked out the problem with the photo, the centre of the models are in shade.

Thanks for the comments on Russ, the only problematic area was the hair. The rest when together easily.

Your SW are super clean. If I'm honest, I don't like the power weapons it's taking way too much away from the flatness of your clean painting. 

Otherwise, wow. That raptor too!

I know what you mean it is a little jarring, I've wanted to try the technique ever sine I got an airbrush but I don't think it sits quite right with my style. I need to come up with an alternative idea for power/force weapons. Glad you like the rest. I am working very slowly on the raptor I hope to have it finished soon.

Wow, yourTS dead un is great.

I've worked out the problem with the photo, the centre of the models are in shade.

Thanks for the comments on Russ, the only problematic area was the hair. The rest when together easily.

I've taken a few photos with the lights to either sides of the camera and it definitely looks better. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :)

I appreciate the feedback.

Lovely vehicles.  I also really like the amount of red you've managed to sneak into the heresy era force.

I'd be curious to learn what made you drop the bronzes and golds for gunmetal trim.  Was gold just too loud for your palette?

Lovely vehicles.  I also really like the amount of red you've managed to sneak into the heresy era force.

I'd be curious to learn what made you drop the bronzes and golds for gunmetal trim.  Was gold just too loud for your palette?

Thanks for your comments. As to the trim, I wanted my wolves to have a more utilitarian feel to them. I don't really feel that the gold/brass suits the wolves of my minds eye. There might be some more shiny trim on the officers but my line troops will all have the gunmetal trim.

• 3 months later...