Thinning paint to use in an air brush

I use windscreen wiper fluid, which is almost free compared to thinners sold by paint manufacturers: it’s pretty much the same stuff as Tamiya thinner, but you get four times as much for a quarter the price or so.

I'm going to try this guy's tutorial and see how effective it is vs. vallejo's thinner, which I currently use.

I started reading that, and just have to comment on:

For years I used Isopropyl Alcohol (99%) that you can find inexpensively in drug stores, but this required serious ventilation as the alcohol vapor can get absorbed quickly into your bloodstream as you breath it (not good).

Does he pour it into a saucer and leave it standing for hours in a small room or something? Open bottle, take out the milliliter or so you need at most, put the cap back on … yeah, you’re going to get roaring drunk from that.

Or, as the material safety data sheet puts it: “Inhalation: Breathing in small amounts of this material during normal handling is not likely to cause harmful effects.”

Using alcohol was okay when I was single, but using alcohol today will get some less-than-polite feedback from my wife.

About the only suitable reply here: LOL!

I would reply to those comments, but I'm currently passed out because I left my bottle of rubbing alcohol open and inhaled too deeply. 

*edit*

I also soiled myself and vomited all over my workspace. Dang.

I actually just use water... Cal me a barbarian, but I mix water with my GW paints and throw it through my Renegade airbrush, I have been airbrushing for 5 years now and it just works perfectly for me... (And yes, I get very smooth finishes and never have any clog ups really... It just works)

I actually just use water...

I used to do that for about 15 or 20 years too, or toluene-based paint thinner for both enamels and acrylics back in the day.

Yes folks, water will work fine, and you don’t need any fancy de-ionised varieties — unless, I suppose, your area has very hard water; otherwise, plain tap water work perfectly well. My main reason for using windscreen wiper fluid is because having tried it, I find the paint flows just a bit better than with water — and I’ve got the bottle anyway smile.png

BTW:

Veenendaal, Holland

Did they move Veenendaal to another province and not tell me?

Archived