Running Ironclad Dreadnought -- DIY chapter

JeffTibbetts

Fair warning: Big pics coming!

Hey all. I've been running a WIP on this, but it's done now so I guess it goes here.

gallery_74115_8883_951863.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_1164632.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_1255389.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_308335.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_1020421.jpg

And then some detail shots:

gallery_74115_8883_179493.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_1484976.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_1499869.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_895058.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_288460.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_9849.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_1727128.jpg

gallery_74115_8883_162528.jpg

I know there are a couple of mould lines that slipped past, and it's not my cleanest work ever, but I'm still pretty pleased with it. The conversion wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

Thanks! They're the Eagle Eyes, Raven Guard successors.

The short background is they're based on a feudal world and recruit from the natives with bronze-age technology, loosely similar to South and Middle American native cultures. The rub is it's actually a necron tomb-world that's very slowly awakening, and the chapter is suppressing the information with extreme prejudice. I made that logo with little hints of the SA influence. I'm glad you dig it! 

It maybe a little off-topic but I have to ask: How have you made the decals?

Do you have any (hopefully rather cheap) company you can recommend to me?

It's a legit question that I spent a loooooong time answering. I tried a bunch of stuff, and to make a long story short, I found a local model train guy with the type of printer I needed and paid him too much money to print them. The quality isn't great and he was terrible to work with. The good news is, Fallout Hobbies (fallouthobbies.com) now prints white and full-color decals. They just completed a Kickstarter campaign and they're available for everyone now.

I can't shake the feeling he's about to do a kick off

That's hilarious. Maybe I should make a tiny football (too bad I don't own Blood Bowl) and put it on his base.

Reinhard, on 24 Oct 2015 - 05:21 AM, said:snapback.png

I can't shake the feeling he's about to do a kick off

That's hilarious. Maybe I should make a tiny football (too bad I don't own Blood Bowl) and put it on his base.

Actually, a Chaos head on the ground would be even better. :)

Very nice looking dread you have there. I especially like the weathering. I'm still not sold on the bottom of the foot on the back swung leg, but haven't thought of anything better yet.

Well done!

Excellent work, as I've said elsewhere. One thing that I forgot to point out earlier, though: That (very nice) verdigris effect on the chest emblem seems quite a bit more pronounced on one side -- was that an intentional choice? Even if not, it should be easy enough to quickly remedy with another pass of turquoise, I'd imagine ;)

It maybe a little off-topic but I have to ask: How have you made the decals?

Do you have any (hopefully rather cheap) company you can recommend to me?

It's a legit question that I spent a loooooong time answering. I tried a bunch of stuff, and to make a long story short, I found a local model train guy with the type of printer I needed and paid him too much money to print them. The quality isn't great and he was terrible to work with. The good news is, Fallout Hobbies (fallouthobbies.com) now prints white and full-color decals. They just completed a Kickstarter campaign and they're available for everyone now.

Thanks a lot for the tip. At first glance I think that 35 Dollar are a little high. But on the other hand that must been the cheapest you found, so well ... unsure.png

It's not really that they're cheapest... I paid $20 for the ones from a local place... It's more like I believe they'll actually do a good job, and they can help with the layout and design stuff as well. Ronnie Gamble is a freelance graphic designer with a solid portfolio, who happens to own one of the coolest 40K armies I've ever seen (The Mariner's Blight. Look them up sometime). So, I'll gladly pay someone who understands the hobby make my decals, since he's much more likely to care and pay attention. Yeah, it's pricey, but a sheet of decals goes a long way and for custom work, it's pretty well inline with what I've seen. 

The $20 might seem cheap, but I did all the layout and gave him printer-ready files and even the paper to use. He literally just pushed the button, using his own paper for some reason (claiming his printer can't print edge-to-edge, which it can and I gave him gutters anyway), and then to my chagrin he went ahead and sprayed the sheet with gloss coat even though I told him not to. The local guy also lost my files twice, and only started the work after I called him twice. So, you can see, bad experiences are not worth saving money. At least in my opinion. 

Archived