The Abyssii commander on Mars would either be Prefectus or Mortera. If this is the full-blown Schism, then it would be Mortera. By this point, based on personal conversations, the Abyssii would likely be allied with the Drowned and the Wardens, assuming neither turns traitor. What other legions would be likely to ally with the Abyssii?

The Drowned do turn Traitor, and this will be the full-blown Schism. I've included this early on because, unlike in canon, Alexandros personally comes to the aid of the Martian Loyalists and the Abyssii forces together brings the Martian Civil War to an end. 

Then the Abyssii commander will be Mortera, and with the Drowned turned traitor and the Wardens currently being neutral, the Abyssii have no strong allies outside the Mechanicum in this fight, beyond the alliegence of other loyal forces. Makes things interesting

I've updated the Martian Civil War entry.

Alright, before I begin writing in earnest, I want to do a quick roll call and book outline. As mentioned before, we are in Alpha stage. That means faction fluff and faction rules are the core effort. What is optional is the book's introduction/background section. We are not handling the campaigns until Beta Stage. The goal is to get enough done that anyone can pick our faction and start playing with them in 30k/40k. Now, the key question of the background section will be determined by our manpower. So long as the factions are progressing, and we have spare writers ready to help, then we'll assign them to background duty.

Alright, roll call:
Athrawes - Lightning Bearers
Redd - Iron Bears
Grifft - Grave Stalkers
Squig - Godslayers
Talonair - Abyssii

Spare help:
Simison

AO - Abyssii Rules

Sigismund

Mikhal

Do we have anyone else willing to add themselves to the spare writers' list? Anybody currently on the roll call, do you want extra help?

Edited by simison

Preface

A nightmare has consumed us. Once we dreamed of glory eternal. Now, terror seeks to rule us.

This nightmare is a ravenous beast, feasting on our present and hungering for our future. Already, many souls have been consumed by it, be they craven or heroic, weak or strong. The effects of this cataclysm go ever onward even as the blood of many continues to water the ground of a million worlds. To our greatest lament, our Emperor, our savior, our philosopher-king has fallen, doomed to remain on the Golden Throne for ages forward.

Will this nightmare cease? I fear I will not see its end, but I refuse to grant it final victory. It is for this reason I conjure together the truth. This nightmare is not eternal. It has a beginning, therefore it must have an ending. Before the nightmare came, we lived in a beautiful dream. A dream of unity and hope as Mankind’s armies sought to tame the galaxy, while our scholars discovered new wonders. It is this dream I seek to protect from the ravages of time and reach our descendants so that they may know hope.

Calls for us to shed our humanity grow louder by the day as the nightmare stalks us. I refuse this foolish bargain. I remain untouched by mechanical impact or juvenant treatment. I am and always be a man, not some ghoul clinging to life by thin threads of science. It is Man who mastered the stars, it is Man who will reclaim them. It is my gift to the future, to know its past through the untainted eyes of a man.

I saw with eyes then young, and this is my testament. I was there when Cadia burned and Iyacrax drowned in oceans of blood. I witnessed the skies of Terra riven with lightning and shadow on the day that the Stormborn struck. I heard the funeral bell toll for the Emperor of Humanity and wept.

I remember.

Edited by simison

Okay, the offer to help is will remain even as we start working on the background. Sigismund and Mikhal, y'all are on background duty with me until called to help someone else. 

To that end, I've read through Betrayal's introduction. It's 32 pages long, and, to be blunt, needs very few tweaks to shift from Heresy to Insurrection, until page 22. It's at that point where the Emperor goes back to Terra and needs to be re-written to fit the Insurrection until page 26. On that page, it starts explaining the Legiones Astartes and goes back to being to being basic and needing very few tweaks.

And that's most of the background. My question is what do we do with the pages that don't need much tweaking or don't need any kind of fixing? The most I can do is re-word it a little so it's not simply a copy-and-paste job, but do we want to bother with that effort? Most of the information, basic as it is, is still necessary. 

I think your right Simison. The Forgeworld books introduction section should be pretty usable for the insurrection. Although you're probably right that it would be a bit dubious to cut and pace so maybe just use it as an outline and change the wording a bit to make it your own.

Alright, Sigismund, Mikhal, how do we want to divide the workload? We have 20 pages that need minimal re-working and roughly 10 pages that will need to be written from scratch. We could start from the beginning, each of us take a section and knock it out sequential order. Or, you two could focus on the easy work, while I tackle the harder section. Or Option C, I'm open to suggestions.

Edited by simison

I can do the Godslayers stuff really quickly, so if you want me to handle some of the background I'm able to. In fact, as a rule of thumb, count me available for writing duties.

I appreciate this Squig, but background work is Priority 2, while the faction writing is Priority 1. Once the Godslayers are done, I'd be more than happy to add you to background duty.

Although, you did remind me of something. To everyone, when it comes to the legion/faction fluff and rules, I don't care if you do your work in this thread or your home thread, but when you think it's ready for 'publishing', please post or copy and paste it here. I'll give it a once-over and either deem it ready or make a few suggestions. Once I give the green light, we can consider that section/chapter done.