And it's not the minis alone. For Inferno did they use photos of reallife ruins. What's why there are real tourists in Inferno as well. For those of you, who got a copy: page 44-45 in both bottom corners ^^

Haha, brilliant.

Sim, I'm thinking it might be doable with a GW store table, and other Legions' transports could stand in if it's black and white. But overall, it'll probably have to wait a long time.

Edited by bluntblade

Foreword to Death of the Bear, by Ellan Temeter

Transhuman dread, as a phenomenon, is well understood, documented by thousands of scholars. It has been written that it underpinned the mortal experience of the betrayal over (remind me the name of that planet). Having had the dubious honour of a place close to the heart of the battle, I find that overly simplistic.

We experienced transhuman dread, no doubt, amplified by a simple fact. Loyal Imperial citizens, before that day, had never truly experienced that phenomenon. No matter their nature or doctrine, the Astartes were the guardians gifted to humanity by the Emperor, beloved by all, and had been ever since Terra was unified two centuries before. That was something every citizen understood from the time they became aware of the Legions. That truth fractured to show us what a thousand opposing cultures had seen.

Motive for the madness came to us in scraps, but the betrayal itself was enough to shatter so many illusions we had never questioned. The Emperor’s dream was fallible, fragile even. Rebels could prevail against the rightful order. And most profound of all, we learned that the immortal could perish.

Decoration question. Could we get permission to use that painting of the Lightning Bearers in a ruined city for Insurrection?

Edited by bluntblade

Foreword to Death of the Bear, by Ellan Temeter

Transhuman dread, as a phenomenon, is well understood, documented by thousands of scholars. It has been written that it underpinned the mortal experience of the betrayal over (remind me the name of that planet). Having had the dubious honour of a place close to the heart of the battle, I find that overly simplistic.

We experienced transhuman dread, no doubt, amplified by a simple fact. Loyal Imperial citizens, before that day, had never truly experienced that phenomenon. No matter their nature or doctrine, the Astartes were the guardians gifted to humanity by the Emperor, beloved by all, and had been ever since Terra was unified two centuries before. That was something every citizen understood from the time they became aware of the Legions. That truth fractured to show us what a thousand opposing cultures had seen.

Motive for the madness came to us in scraps, but the betrayal itself was enough to shatter so many illusions we had never questioned. The Emperor’s dream was fallible, fragile even. Rebels could prevail against the rightful order. And most profound of all, we learned that the immortal could perish.

Decoration question. Could we get permission to use that painting of the Lightning Bearers in a ruined city for Insurrection?

We already have a forenote for the Death of the Bear

Following up on my massive post in the Secundus thread, for the sake of simplicity, the Scions and the Iron Bears need to switch to the 1-campaign format for their exemplary battles. Since this is a mistake of my doing, I am offering to write it for both legions in penance. 

The most popular campaign for this format is the first time the Primarch commands their Legion on their own. Other examples I found ranged from Unification Wars to a standard campaign. What they all had in common was that it was a campaign that captured the spirit and how the Legion makes war, with or without their Primarch. 

I'd like to add in this thread too that, while I'll attempt another exemplary for The Drowned should I get an idea, I'm happy for anyone else to have a crack if they have something. Edited by bluntblade

He hasn't, so he'd be a sensible choice. The Halcyon Wardens' shield wall is going to be very important to the initial assault. Essentially, the Legions begin by carving out bases on the continent before the Scions and Drowned take to the waters and their cousins carry on with the ground campaign.

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm collecting data to write out the Iron Bears' new Exemplary Battle, it occurs to me that some of the early fluff needs to be tweaked. Since we've established that the Iron Bears' gene-seed integration takes longer than other Legions, they shouldn't be one of the largest Legions during the Unification Wars. I suggest that they start out as the smallest and slowly build their way to their eventual size. 

Re-orienting myself to the new phases...

The Harbingers are actually finished with the new Alpha Phase.

Grave Stalkers were looking at some tweaks at crunch (which I'm not sure if those were finished or not), but I'm not aware of any fixes necessary for their fluff. So, they remain finished.

The Iron Bears still need the last paragraph of their Origin section, which I'm waiting on Sig's feedback. The Exemplary Battle still needs to be revamped.

The Godslayers had an issue with adapting to the Pariah rules, but the fluff remains solid and done.

The Scions' only needed the Exemplary Battle revamped, which I think Blunt has already done the lion's share of work. Is it ready for submission, Blunt? 

The Drowned need the most work, but progress has already been made. One exemplary battle mostly done, I think. Sig already has given the Legion Organization a first attempt, and I've gotten the first section for their History part complete. 

So, three Legions have passed Alpha. Three to go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Waiting on Redd to confirm the last post on the IB battle.

Waiting on someone to create a title for the SH battle.

That would put the Drowned next to finish Book 1. I double-checked Hesh's post. He had internet for a few weeks, which has apparently run out. He said he'd be back in June, hopefully. The question then is do we continue writing Drowned fluff as before or wait for him to return? He didn't seem to have any complaints about the work we've done, and outright praised Blunt's work on the exemplary battles. 

So, I'm inclined to continue writing and keep up the momentum, but if not, then there's work to do elsewhere. What do people think?

The Scions are back over the finish line, bringing us back to 4 out of 6 Legions finished with Alpha Phase. 

All the Bears need is an editor and then we can reach a new goal of 5 Legions who've completed Alpha.

If I don't hear any objections in the next half an hour, I'm going back to finish the Drowned.

• 2 weeks later...

I have completed a rough draft of the Drowned's General History chapter. Next is their Organization.

The Iron Bears still require an editor to go over the last of the material I wrote.

I've finished the rough draft for the Drowned's Organization chapter. That leaves just Exemplary Battles to cover left.

Finally, the Iron Bears' Exemplary Battle is almost done, just need a couple more tweaks.

Overall, it is my hope that we can wrap up both before the end of this week. After that, it's a simple matter to wait for Hesh's approval and to shift back to Book 2.