Big Bad Squig

So, three days later, yes. Alexander will have it. Now, I have not done a calculation for this rule, but since it has very limited application (it only affects campaign games), I'm inclined to price it just at 10 points. 

What do others say?

Honestly I would make it 0 points as it's effect is almost entirely narrative. It doesn't seem fair to charge in normal games something that only ever has utility in campaigns.

Not even 5 points? As rare as it is, it does provide a benefit.

Alright, I'll defer. 

Looking over the rest of Alexander, I'm questioning 'Otherworldly Protection'. To me, the narrative significance is accomplished by 'Marked by Dark Fates'. What then becomes of the invul save? Is there a similar rule in HH? Wouldn't this be better served by some kind of equipment?

After reviewing some of the most infamous Chaos officers, I can't find anything like 'Otherwordly Protection'. I recommend it be replaced by an iron halo, which would increase Alexander's protection and demonstrate his station within the Legion. 

After reviewing some of the most infamous Chaos officers, I can't find anything like 'Otherwordly Protection'. I recommend it be replaced by an iron halo, which would increase Alexander's protection and demonstrate his station within the Legion. 

Given that Otherworldly Protection is just another name for it, I don't see why it can't be a Refractor field. Perhaps rather than Otherworldly Protection, it's "Otherworldly Resilience"; improves his Inv Save by +1; he's not a Pariah, so that could lead to a neat little 2+/3++ Combo if you take a Telekine Librarian with him that rolls Forewarning. I'm not completely au-fait with the rules we have currently for the Warp Suppresants, but I'm guessing that it's going to be harder to cast powers, and might be limited to a specific ally.

It keeps the flavour of being protected/toughened, actually gives it a very minor buff due to its difficulty and requirements, but outside of that is functionally an Iron Halo for most intents and purposes.

• 2 weeks later...

Now remembered:

032 M31. The Subjugation of Zbruch and Han

Pionus destroys the Godslayers garrison on their home world, forcibly bringing Zbruch back into the Loyalist fold as part of the effort to secure Segmentum Tempestus. A large garrison is put in place and iterators set to work, trying to complete the process. In the Galactic north, the Insurrectionists retain Kabyieb, but the Crimson Lions lay waste to Han in their fury.

047-9. Zbruch Obscured

Koschei forces a passage to his homeworld, sacrificing several ships to keep Pionus from catching him. Further attempts to pursue the Godslayers are thwarted as Warp storms render Zbruch unreachable, and mysterious plagues swiftly strike the surrounding systems, deterring any who would venture here. Koschei and the bulk of his Legion are thus impossible to contact, and the storms conceal a monstrous change inflicted on both the world and the Legion.

048 M31. The Shattered Skull

With Koschei unreachable, Kozja makes his play for independence. K’awil is ambushed and slain by Kozja, Nomus and the Jade General, with the Grave Stalkers scattering under the attack of their cousins. The Suzerainty, centred on Strela and Saepio, is established. Icarion is forced to accelerate his invasion plans whilst plotting the extirpation of this new threat. Koschei is nowhere to be found however: while none know it beyond Icarion and Travier, his Legion has fallen to Chaos.

049 M31. Contagion

Two Fire Keepers Tribes make their way to Zbruch, where the ätheric turbulence has subsided, and find the world lifeless and drowned in rot. Reporting their findings to Niklaas, they are ordered to cleanse Zbruch with fire. Yucahu’s forces find themselves mired in battle against an unseen enemy on the southeast borders of Loyalist territory. After a month the horrific truth is revealed: Godslayers, made walking corpses by the power of Chaos and led by their deformed Primarch. Against their appalling endurance, Yucahu can do little more than slow their advance as he tries to secure supplies and ready nearby systems for the offensive to come.

Edited by bluntblade

• 1 month later...

First draft of the names for the various powers of the Suppressant Discipline:

• Empower (Primaris)
  • Nullification Field
  • Confound the Witch
  • Becalm
  • The Invisible Weight
  • Empyreal Shield
  • Rend the Veil

I'm also trying to get back to where I was during my last review. Overall, have the LA & RoW rules been sufficiently modified to represent the new Suppressor Librarian? 

The relic is done, the Suppressor Squad was bumped up to 140 points, while the Goliaths were fine. 

I had also forgotten that Refractor Fields are an option for Astartes officer. I prefer that to Otherworldly Protection. 

First draft of the names for the various powers of the Suppressant Discipline:

• Empower (Primaris)
  • Nullification Field
  • Confound the Witch
  • Becalm
  • The Invisible Weight
  • Empyreal Shield
  • Rend the Veil

I'm also trying to get back to where I was during my last review. Overall, have the LA & RoW rules been sufficiently modified to represent the new Suppressor Librarian? 

The relic is done, the Suppressor Squad was bumped up to 140 points, while the Goliaths were fine. 

I had also forgotten that Refractor Fields are an option for Astartes officer. I prefer that to Otherworldly Protection. 

Just to remind you Becalm was replaced with Quiet the Tempest.

Suppressor Squads need to be recalculated based on no longer using the Pariah rules and now using the Brotherhood of Psykers (unless this 140 is a reflection of that, in which case ignore me :P)

Quick question, are we still going ahead with 'disciplines'. Since inception of our rules, Ex Oblivio and Psychic Anathema have become a normative thing with Sisters of Silence are NOT overpowering.

Its hard enough to encourage adoption of homebrews without being so different.

Quick question, are we still going ahead with 'disciplines'. Since inception of our rules, Ex Oblivio and Psychic Anathema have become a normative thing with Sisters of Silence are NOT overpowering.

Its hard enough to encourage adoption of homebrews without being so different.

Agreed, and it is a specific discipline for the Godslayers because they aren't Pariahs, but rather Psychic Suppressors who make use of the warp to draw the energy out of enemy psykers' grasp (Or at least that is my understanding). I'm not sure if this was always the plan and we labelled them Pariahs for ease or if its a more recent development though as I haven't been able to follow all the Legions' development over the last 2+ years :smile.:

Having said that. The Psychic Anathema and Ex Oblivio rules are being used by the Nemesis Consul (Pariah replacement for Librarians in certain Legions) as well as among the units of the Grave Stalkers and Wardens of Light to varying levels.

I would also like to show what the Praeligation Discipline looks like as of now. As I believe it is anything other than overpowered (in fact there are some things that should almost certainly be buffed) and even the most anti-homebrewer would have to admit to it being not OP.

Praeligation Discipline

Empower (Primaris)                            Warp Charge 1

Empower is a blessing that targets a unit within 24”. Whilst the power is in effect, the targeted unit has the Adamantium Will special rule.

Nullification Field                            Warp Charge 1

Nullification Field is a blessing that targets the Psyker. Whilst the power is in effect, the Psyker can attempt to Deny the Witch for units within 12”. Only a single Deny the Witch attempt may be made against any psychic power.

Confound the Witch                            Warp Charge 1

Confound the Witch is a blessing that targets the Psyker. Whilst the power is in effect, the Psyker can re-roll failed Deny the Witch dice rolls.

Quiet the Tempest                            Warp Charge 1

Quiet the Tempest is a malediction that targets an enemy Psyker within 18”. Whilst the power is in effect, the Psyker must re-roll successful dice rolls for manifesting psychic powers.

The Invisible Weight                            Warp Charge 1

The Invisible Weight is a malediction that targets an enemy Psyker within 18”. Whilst the power is in effect, increase the Warp Charge cost of any psychic powers the Psyker knows by 1.

Empyreal Shield                                Warp Charge 1

Empyreal Shield is a blessing that targets a unit within 24”. Whilst the power is in effect, the targeted unit has 4+ invulnerable save against wounds caused by psychic powers.

Rend the Veil                                Warp Charge 2

Rend the Veil is a blessing that targets the Psyker. Whilst the power is in effect, add 2 to any rolls on the Perils of the Warp table by enemy models within 12” of the Psyker.

My only problem with that Simi, is that in this case (I assume we're talking about Alexander) Otherworldly Protection is more accurate to what is actually happening, whereas a Refractor Field is a piece of equipment he can choose to equip.

Grifft, the Suppressor Squad has already been recalculated with Brotherhood of Psykers. 

My only problem with that Simi, is that in this case (I assume we're talking about Alexander) Otherworldly Protection is more accurate to what is actually happening, whereas a Refractor Field is a piece of equipment he can choose to equip.

No canon character has anything like this, and it feels incredibly too overt for what is supposed to be a subtle sign of Chaos. If he is to have any rule like that, I'd prefer he have something closer to Loken's Born Survivor rule (he can get back up after being KO'd the first time on a roll of 2+). 

Also, saving this from Discord: 

• How would Alexander be corrupted?
  • Probably through simple weakness of character. He's insecure but ambitious. Secretly sees himself as less than the true Astartes around him. He's afraid of his ever present mortality. Nurgle preys on this weakness, offers him his protection and immortality in exchange for the souls of the legion
  • Alexander accepts and begins setting the stage for Zbrush. Turning like-minded officers and deposing of those that might interfere. He's willing to sacrifice the rank and file to his ambitions
  • At what point would he fall?
  • Some time around the day of revelation, if not before even
  • Concerning the Dreadnoughts, I haven't heard back from Squig yet, so this idea is pending change if and when I do, but what if their corruption wasn't by choice, but served as the catalyst for the fall of the legion
  • Alexander and his inner circle of corrupted Godslayers conduct a ritual over the slumbering dreadnoughts and forcibly possess them all with Nurgle daemons. The souls of the Dreadnoughts serve as the catalyst for the corruption of the rest of the legion. Basically kicking off a mini Nurgle themed ruin storm.

While I'm waiting to hear back on what to do with 'Otherworldly Protection', I'm going to look at the rest of Alexander's rules. 

Pariah (Secundus) has to go obviously. I believe the proper format is 'Psyker (Mastery Level 2)' and then under the psyker entry is where we'll list which set powers he has. I could see Alexander having the Empyreal Shield and The Invisible Weight. Does that sound good to you, Blind?

While I'm waiting to hear back on what to do with 'Otherworldly Protection', I'm going to look at the rest of Alexander's rules. 

Pariah (Secundus) has to go obviously. I believe the proper format is 'Psyker (Mastery Level 2)' and then under the psyker entry is where we'll list which set powers he has. I could see Alexander having the Empyreal Shield and The Invisible Weight. Does that sound good to you, Blind?

I'd suggest giving him a third power to represent him having Psychic Focus. My thoughts with regard to his powers were to replicate the abilities he had previously via his Pariah rule. So I thought he could get: Empower, Nullification Field and Quiet the Tempest, which would match his previous skills fairly closely.

Edited by Grifftofer

I'd suggest giving him a third power to represent him having Psychic Focus. My thoughts with regard to his powers were to replicate the abilities he had previously via his Pariah rule. So I thought he could get: Empower, Nullification Field and Quiet the Tempest, which would match his previous skills fairly closely.

That works too, though I leave the final decision to Blind.

Also, saving this from Discord, Koschei will be Mastery Level 4.

I'm the BlindPrimarch and I approve of this message

I'm assuming this applies to both the selected powers and the Otherworldly debate. 

Checking my old calculations, I originally used the Refractor Field cost for Otherworldly Protection, so no change there. The big change is switching over from the old Pariah point system to the psyker system. For Indomitable Will and Psychic Void, Alexander was paying 40 points. Switching to Psyker Master levels,  that becomes 50 points for two mastery levels, bringing Alexander to 205 points. Grifft' has made a recommendation of 15 points per ML for specific anti-psykers. Not sure about it, but the new discipline is specific to countering only other psykers. With that discount, 50 becomes 30, bringing Alexander down to 185 points.

Looking over the rest of his rules, nothing else needs addressing besides this point debate.

Thoughts?