DA 7th Ed. CODEX - The knowledge of the wise men

Knight Angels

Back in the days, the old, wise men gave their knowledge further to their tribes. As a dark angels player i consider myself as part of that tribe. So i ask you, old, wise dark angels player out there; What do you have to tell me, a whippersnapper in terms of playtime? Where - after several of months playing with the 7th edition codex - do you think are lying the biggest chances and opportunities to have good, competitive and joyful games. Which chapters do you prefer and which units combine the best? What do we have to look at and what not? How should we play them, how do you play them?

I want you to tell others an me your thougths in the form of a summary. Write if your thinking your one of these wise men.

Cheers

The book is good...

Artworks are often bad and fluff is always the same with little tweaks here and there...

Rules are strong but there are too much bugs and this makes using the codex into a big headache...

DW was not so strong and it got weaker than ever...

RW was strong and it got stronger...

Green Marines are slighlty better but CoVets should need some love cause they are not so great...

Units that were bad in the last codex are all better so there is very little subpar things now...

It could be a A+ codex but due to the various bugs and subpar DW it's just a B- one...

Our books have never been very good with self imposed limits to only use single unit types. And while that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, it is still a common complaint in this forum.

Imagine a SW player complaining that they are forced to go unbound to make an all fenris wolf army. And following that complaint with another complaint about how their all fen wolf army isn't competitive.

I recommend that you decide early on which of the 3 MTG player type you are.

It will help you figure out what your particular win condition is. And as you might have guessed winning isn't the only win condition. Sure everyone wants to win, but how is generally more important than how often.

Believe it or not there are players that don't enjoy winning via objectives when they would have lost via kill points. Also some players feel robbed when they lose a kill point game where they actually took out a larger percentage of their opponent's force, and had control of more of the board.

With that knowledge of yourself you can start to build a list that wins in the way that is most satisfying to you.

just because a unit is bad on paper doesnt make them useless. very often a unit can get away with things because he isnt viewed as a threat that some of your most potent units simply cant brute force through. i once surrounded my opponent using scouts, they gingerly walked along the table edge stopping to take potshots and by turn 4 i had 15 guys behind his enitre army shooting him in the back. youd be surprised how difficult it is to fight an enemy that is all around you and denied you places to run away too. i mean if you reak and run your now just going to get feasted on by scouts, not a fun way to get removed as a casualty. and standard dreadnaughts can be lethal in small games where people often havent considered someone bringing it in conjunction with other sticky armor like drop pods and predators. my very first game of 6th edition i learned this lesson when a black templar dread was basically chasing what was left of my army around because i had no weapons that could kill him in my enitre army.

I think the Codex is in a good spot now. You can mix and match "colors" or you can play them alone. Difficulty levels will vary but there always something new to play with. You can play demi company, battle company, RW, DW, mix them play them alone... So much variety that you will find your playstyle(s) for sure... and have fun in the process.

Other than for a lack of unified art direction (i.e. NO art direction), a few rules issues, and the special characters still being lackluster/pushovers/having counter-productive wargear rules, it is arguably the best codex in regard to everything else.

Other than for a lack of unified art direction (i.e. NO art direction), a few rules issues, and the special characters still being lackluster/pushovers/having counter-productive wargear rules, it is arguably the best codex in regard to everything else.

idk if ezekiel ever gets himself an invul save its safe to say he would probably be the best damn librarian  next to tig's and them inquisitive types

I'm gushing with the new codex its a tome that keeps on giving

For a standard player wanting to mix up his units and play different styles and lists its got just about everything you could wish for

Double Lion Ravenwing Strike & I like the Deathwing Strike as well Speeder formation buff to Deathwing Knights, Ezekiel and the Conclave, Grav Guns and Cannons .

The grim resolve is inspired and really sets us apart from the other chapters as does Interomancy

The Psychic powers thing really highlights how different we are with some really nasty ones in there especially mind worm & wipe with the conclave, pesky MC's think twice before coming anywhere near. They dovetail with the Dark Shroud in some instances as well.

The Warlord traits are pretty decent, the changes to Sammaels default is pretty amazing

The Dark Talon - Transformed

The Dark Shroud - Everyone's worst nightmare (eat that Tau overwatch oh sorry whats that your afraid of the scary speeder!)

The book is much better than the last one.  I find it hard to say whether or not the book is "competitive."  I disagree with the idea that 40K can be played competitively in a tournament setting, which is why I commit to tournament play with other tabletop games that actually support it.   I also think that Maelstrom Missions are more about the randomness of cards you draw than any tactical positioning (we've all been there when you or your opponent gets 3-4 points in one round because they were already standing on the objective they needed).  I think most of the Inner Circle in this subforum don't play competitively at major tournaments other than their local stores, and when they do they still look to make lists that aren't inherently meant to be overpowered, they are lists that look like an actual Astartes, specifically Dark Angels, deployment.  I think the biggest indication of this is that our own army list subforum doesn't include allies all that heavily among the lists that are presented.

Are you going to roll over every other army? Probably not, this book doesn't do cheese like others do.  But you've got a better shot at putting together a better list than the previous book could.

Advice? Wisdom?................ok..............first Hot dogs are only 10% actual dog............I've heard Canada is secretly arming an army of Sasquatch...................

On to the real stuff. Remember our Codex use to be about limitations. High learning curve but man once you got it to work it was awesome. New book is still awesome just remember if you get the chance try all units in the book. Synergy is the name of our game (hello DW and RW) but Green Wing has a whole new way to play. I've found many forget how strong Green Wing alone is. Look at the thread about Dreadnoughts. Coming back in a big way and doing quite well I find. Give them the ole Assault Cannon Heavy Flamer and squadron up you can kill just about anything.

So I recommend trying every unit at least a few times in different scenarios. Use a Dread to support a Tac Squad. Try the often hated Assault Marines with an Int. Chaplain. Take a long walk off a short pier. Anyway you get the idea. Great book and the First Legion will always require more tactical thinking than those Codex boys in my opinion. Less toys more tactics.

DoC

Archived