DIY thread - feedback appreciated!

reptilelover1995

Yeah I agree with you on the color, I think I'll keep the original. I just figured I'd try it.

I certainly do plan to have some non-Astartes forces there, but since I'm doing this in the format of an Imperial Armour book, any non-Astartes forces would be listed in their own Organization page. As for the Astartes forces themselves, I want it to be somewhere in between, not like they're expecting an imminent attack, but not like they're basically sitting ducks. I'm thinking that the 5th company forces I've added in have arrived for some reason rather than just being stationed there, as I feel that having 70% or so of an entire company sitting around on their homeworld wouldn't really make much sense. It's just the specific reasons that I haven't decided on.

Also part of my concern as to what forces they should have is about what would best fit their type of fighting (one of the above posts outlines it really well), as I am not a marine player so I don't really know what units would make most sense. 

Hi there! Late to the party as usual sweat.gif

I know about the Scythes of the Emperor, Lamenters, and the Ultramarines at Macragge, but the former two do not have any details as to exactly what companies they lost in those battles, and the Ultramarines at Macragge aren't quite the same since they ended up defeating the Tyranids in the end.

The Lamenters have been assumed by many as being completely destroyed, save one Dreadnought who was seconded to the Deathwatch. Older fluff has it that a 'Nid Hive fleet encountering them and either destroying them outright, or heavily hinting that their biomass was subsumed by said Hive Fleet. In the end, no one knows in-universe and GW haven't stated their fate one way or another. The Scythes have had a similar fate...I think. Again, I would assume that if there are any survivors, they are pursuing the Hive Fleet(s) to either slow them down, or simply to die trying to exact revenge.

Yeah I agree with you on the color, I think I'll keep the original. I just figured I'd try it.

I certainly do plan to have some non-Astartes forces there, but since I'm doing this in the format of an Imperial Armour book, any non-Astartes forces would be listed in their own Organization page. As for the Astartes forces themselves, I want it to be somewhere in between, not like they're expecting an imminent attack, but not like they're basically sitting ducks. I'm thinking that the 5th company forces I've added in have arrived for some reason rather than just being stationed there, as I feel that having 70% or so of an entire company sitting around on their homeworld wouldn't really make much sense. It's just the specific reasons that I haven't decided on.

Also part of my concern as to what forces they should have is about what would best fit their type of fighting (one of the above posts outlines it really well), as I am not a marine player so I don't really know what units would make most sense.

Forces of the Chapter might be on planet simply to repair armour, vehicles, bury their dead (or perform what ever death rites they might have), or because it was their turn to be taken out of rotation. Whilst Marines don't need R+R the way ordinary humans do, they would still need to be able to take a breath, otherwise it'd be like driving a sports car constantly at maximum speed all the time. Sure they'd last longer than a human, but eventually even a Marine will start to perform less than their peak (or in the sports car analogy - the engine will epic fail).

Thank you very much! I do still want to keep their losses towards the somewhat lower end of the scale, yet severe enough to make them dedicate themselves to destroying Laelaps for two main reasons:

1. By this point, Laelaps has only consumed around a dozen worlds, (such that it has not been identified by the Imperium at the time of this attack, I may have to alter that number if that's too many to go unnoticed). That would mean it's relatively small compared to a fleet like Leviathan, and if there was a huge portion of the Chapter on Rivicto at the time the Tyranids would not have a great chance.

2. Also, I plan on using the Emerald Serpents in the future for campaigns, and my system makes it so that any deaths (except for those factions that can survive physical death) are permanent, and if the Chapter has losses that are too heavy they could pretty quickly get completely destroyed. That would mean I'd have to repaint all of my Emerald Serpents models (or worse, buying a whole new set of the same models), on top of creating a whole new chapter. If losses are just severe enough to have them crippled and pissed off, they could have a decent chance of surviving longer so they can get new initiates and whatnot and stay in the campaign series.

If anyone on here is good with space marine tabletop strategy, I could really use some help figuring out what vehicles they should have from the Armoury and the stuff they should have from the Fleet. Like I said I don't play Marines in TT so I don't have any knowledge to draw from there. As was suggested before I have made it so that they are meant to be a very adaptive force, with dedication to individual strength and resolve, and are able to quickly shatter a formation and collapse back together just as fast (their Trait Rules I posted earlier are meant to reflect that).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been working a bit more on the chapter, but still haven't decided on more than just the basic organization of forces on Rivicto (haven't decided on what tanks to have, or what stuff from the Fleet to have). Mostly I've been working on finishing up the first subcampaign for my Hive Fleet, where it fights against Astra Militarum forces stationed on a surveillance outpost called Exsteron. Until I figure out exactly what to do with the space marine organization of forces for the battle (basically want to have a list of everything that will be included over the course of all the battles on Rivicto), I'm going to be working on the campaigns leading up to it (there are two more). The second campaign takes place on a tidally locked, blisteringly hot world that is used for mining the high concentrations of metals in its crust that are then exported off to be used in construction of vehicles/ships/etc., but despite the extreme temperatures there are massive amounts of thermophilic archaea and cyanobacteria that thrive around the areas where gases escape from the interior of the planet, which explains why the Tyranids target the planet (they wouldn't go after a world with very little biomass, there'd be no real point). The world after that is a moon analogous to Titan (modern Titan, not Titan in the 40k universe) in its climate, geology, and topography. The rich hydrocarbon atmosphere and liquid bodies are used to make Promethium. The Tyranids attack because while it isn't too rich in biomass, there is still a massive amount of organic compounds there, and it wouldn't be any stretch of the imagination to think that there are Tyranid organisms that can fix these compounds so they may be utilized by the fleet.

I've been looking for the Special Projects forum, as I have absolutely no idea what types of forces should be there on those two worlds (being so extreme that no guardsman could ever go out on the surface without full protective gear), but I was unable to find it. Could someone please direct me?

EDIT: Found it! Never mind. Hopefully I'll get everything sorted out and will be able to get things done!

Archived