Each Legion's Purpose

I have thought a bit about the XVIII Legion aka The Salamanders and their purpose. They appear to have a strong devotion to humanity and seems to be the Legion that will fight for the civilians instead of fighting for death and glory. 

Since it was revealed that Vulkan 

Is a perpetual
I got the idea that Vulkan and his legion was the Emperors failsafe. If all else failed, Terra was destroyed along with the Emperor, the legions and Primarchs, there would still be a guy able to rise from the ashes. I imagine that if The Emperor's grand design failed and backfired, he would need someone to make sure hunamity could survive and rebuild it's strength in a quiet corner of the galaxy, until humanity was ready for another round in the war for the galaxy. The Salamanders legion along with their primarch would be the perfect surviviors, that could rally the few remaining humans and start all over again. 

What about the two missing Primarchs? Do we know anything about them? Didn't there used to be a really old (Like 2nd Edition) thing with 20 Legions? Instead of 18? 

We don't really know anything directly about them except for stuff like when they probably ceased to be a part of the Imperium for whatever reason. There was always 18 Legions, going back as far as there was Legions. Before that in Rogue Trader we had Chapters instead because the fluff was still in a relatively nascent state. The two missing Legions as seen in 2nd were supposedly for players to make their own. It was merely a tool, room for people to be creative.  

What about the two missing Primarchs? Do we know anything about them? Didn't there used to be a really old (Like 2nd Edition) thing with 20 Legions? Instead of 18?

We don't really know anything directly about them except for stuff like when they probably ceased to be a part of the Imperium for whatever reason. There was always 18 Legions, going back as far as there was Legions. Before that in Rogue Trader we had Chapters instead because the fluff was still in a relatively nascent state. The two missing Legions as seen in 2nd were supposedly for players to make their own. It was merely a tool, room for people to be creative.

I take Athrawes 2nd legion as fanon...I mean hell, FW even made them an armor set (aka IW set) :P

I take Athrawes 2nd legion as fanon...I mean hell, FW even made them an armor set (aka IW set) :tongue.:

It might as well be for them because as a set for the Iron Warriors, they're rubbish (as I tend to point out at every given opportunity). ^_^

• 2 years later...

Pretty cool topic guys ! Sorry for the Necro, I've found this while searching the web !

So, I want to offer you an alternative, audacious yet pragmatic theory on the topic matter !

A few readings got me thinking and I'd like to share that with you !

Disclaimer : My knowledge of the 30k universe is far from omniscient, and I'm pretty sure I'm lacking a lot of elements.

This is in no means the definitive interpretation and I'm not marketing it as such! :D it's mainly a thought exercise that might stimulate more knowledgeable people and is at least enjoyable !

It's going to be in two parts :

1) Facts behind the theory, pieced from different sources

2) Interpreted purpose of each Legio (with some metaphor names, not meant to be serious or disrespectful for some, it's just easy to convey messages with some visual messages !)

Here we go !

---

1) The 30k lore is few and far between, and here is what I managed to piece from different sources.

The idea is that Primarchs were created with a purpose by the Emperor, but their scattering and various upbringing allowed them to choose a purpose for themselves.

Legios were not created with a purpose originally, but eventually found one due to innate genetic traits + Primarch influence.

We will focus with the timeline first, as it creates some interesting perspectives!

Spoilers abound!!

So, from what I gather, here is the timeline of events that led to the Legios creations (in order !)

a) The Emperor unifies most of the Earth with Thunder Warriors

b) Wipes them clean as they were always meant to be a disposable tool

c) Starts the Primarch project. He identifies that he needs people to help him out, so he gene engineers 20 (+1!) sons to help him out. Each Son has a particular trait that will greatly assist in his grand scheme (specific gene traits indicate towards that, each primarch homeworld set the culture for this specific individual but they all have unique innate strengths)

d) Chaos scatters them as they see the threat is too big!

e) Emp still needs manpower, so he creates the Space Marines from an undifferentiated gene pool, like Thunder Warriors 2.0.

e2) Creates the Legio, one standard pattern for all of them, no unique differentiation. Just a structure that works without idiosyncrasies and that is best used by The Emperor.

f) Gene seed is found unstable and unsustainable for the galactic conquest

g) Experiments show that Primarchs Gene seed make the Astartes DNA more stable. Emperor decides to splice each Primarch's DNA into a Legio (thus creating 20 over time) to test for the most appropriate one

h) Primarchs are eventually found and given command of their respective Legion. Not all Primarchs were meant to be generals, but they all had the superior intellect needed to be one anyways.

I) We know the rest...

This timeline as pieced from different sources would tend to indicate that Legiones Astartes were not created for a specific purpose before the needed Primach gene implantation.

Primach natural abilities would indicate on the other hand that they were created with a specific purpose in mind for each of them.

Not being a general each, but since they are super smart demigods anyways, they can handle the job efficiently anyway, and that was needed by the Emperor.

Each world then allowed each Primarch to find its own purpose/culture. It psychologically shaped them as much as the Emperor's gene splicing gave them innate abilities.

Forgeworld's narrative that each Legion slightly changed or 'got attuned' when reunited show the difference between original purpose and Primach fueled purpose.

Funnily enough, this theory also gives insight as why some Primarchs were pre-dispositioned to fall to Chaos due to their psycho-social environment of upbringing.

This shows the awesome manipulation from Chaos ! They were not tainted (as I'm sure the Emperor would have checked for mutation/taint for each of his Sons), but Chaos have set up for their more or less conscious choice to serve them.

Oooh Tzeench, y u so smart??!

---

2) Now, we'll explore the purpose of each Primarch along 3 dimensions :

a) Emperors' Intended Purpose (in the title)

b) Self determined purpose (in the text)

c) Psychological causes to fall to Chaos (when applicable)

Let's start one by one ! And please excuse me for some of the less shiny descriptions, not meant to be offensive !! They're meant to grab your attention !

I - The Lion : The Assistant

He is the exemplar Son, always looking to pursue the Emperors' ideals, regardless of the implications. He is aware of Chaos and keeps it secret in the best interests of his fathers' ideal. He keeps everything for himself to not cast the mask down and has no problems with that, willing to sacrifice any potential threat to his Fathers' ideal (His planet, Imperium Secundus).

I believe he actually took on his role very willingly, as he and his Sons feel extremely bad for The Fallen, more than any other Chapter with some renegades offsprings. He allowed his decisions to have outcomes that go against everything he wants to defend, and allowing the Fallen to exist is implying that he himself is corrupted. He seeks forgiveness for that.

II - Redacted - I know, but you don't want to know

III - Fulgrim - The consular

He was meant to ensure good communications and representation inside the Imperium : a well educated, always striving for the best, liking beauty and culture. The Emperor chose the 3rd Legion as his personal envoys is an evidence towards that.

His self purpose : Everything towards beauty and art, he was born in an environment where he could not accomplish his Consular Mission as Chemos was in full survival mode. He took it on himself to bring pleasure to a civilisation that had none, and kept searching for more pleasure.

His fall to Chaos : Having to be raised in an environment always lacking in comfort and pleasure, only needing survival. He had to do stuff he was not enjoying to reach this level of pleasure needs he lacked.

Trained him in always looking for life than he had around, hence the obvious path to Slaanesh by following Vain but Enjoyable pleasures

IV - Perturabo - The Janitor

We always need someone to do the ungrateful but mandatory things, and we need him to do it well, efficiently. Perturabo is all about getting the dirty things done regardless of cost or glory or personal pleasure. Crappy garrison deployment orders being a mainstay of the 4th Legion indicates to that.

His purpose : Being super efficient at it, and venting his frustration at his condition on human life (The Decimation, Dorn's Trap). He was born amongst the high class society of Olympia, and he was used to be treated better.

His Fall : Unlike Fulgirm that was deprived of everything he enjoyed in his homeworld, Perturabo grew up in an environment where he started to demand more from his own environment, than just the dirty (but needed) work that he knew to do oh so well.

V - Jaghatai Khan - The Pathfinder

So, we lack information about the Vth before reunited, but they seem to always have been used as a wayfarer force.

Jagathai is also very open minded and carefree about life : he takes things the way they are and is always searching to understand stuff he does not. This is a needed attitude for an explorer, as you do not want preconceived information on things you don't know.

His purpose : Just doing what he wants, because he could. And go fast, because he likes that !

VI - Leman Russ - The Obedient Loyalty

Everything in the fluff indicates towards that Russ fights for his value and everything the Emperor stands for/asks with little question and regardless of the cost. No remorse given.

His purpose : Maintain a fraternal pack, and obey the Emperor (maybe wrong here due to the limited knowledge of the Russ !)

VII - Rogal Dorn - The architect

This guy destroys, rebuilds and maintain. Buildings, defense systems, everything. He almost has a compulsive need to build stuff, home and hearth.

His purpose : Totally took it.

VIII - Konrad Curze - The Keeper of Order

No Imperium can keep order without some scary threat to prevent extreme behaviors. What better way to ensure safety than the most horrible criminal ever, because he is beyond any restraint.

His purpose : Totally took it and accepted it. Raised on his own and naturally gravitated towards this.

His fall to Chaos : Solitary life, acting like an asocial animal due to lack of contact. He actually represents what he was built for the most purely, but the lack of human interactions and partners drove him totally egoistical and sociopathic.

IX - Sanguinius - The poster boy/The symbol

He's beautiful, he's nice, he's compassionate, he is selfless. He is the best PR asset for the Imperium.

His purpose : Exactly the same as he was built for, except unwillingly. He just happened to be born fabulous, but just wanted to defend his people from the scary mutants threatening them.

X - Ferrus Mannus - The engineer

Mars is annoyingly capricious with their retention of knowledge and lack of inventivity. Emps needed a dude that could understand their stuff and be able to create new useful thingies for the Imperium without needing them.

His purpose : The harsh world of Medusa and his knack for technology drove him to search to eliminate weaknesses, using any tools available (up to the point that his followers took it a bit too literally)

XI - Redacted - This one I have no idea...

XII - Angron - The Avenger Martyr

He is angry. He is strong. He is fearless.

Wrong him, and there will be nothing that he will refuse to do to get this right. Early life in Nuceria drove him to free his gladiator slaves to get even from the injustice they suffered.

His purpose : Kill, maim, burn. Negotiating with Chainaxes

His Fall To Chaos : The Emperor actually deprived him of what he was meant for : avenging at all costs, up to obliteration. Not being able of doing what he was meant to do drove him insane on top of the implants. Emps likely always took him as a potential martyr, but did not need him to martyr right now.

XIII - Roboute Gulliman - The administrator

Nothing more to say. He has the knack to administrate things and he likes it!

XIV - Mortarion - The Challenger

Mortarion seems to be built to accept any challenge no matter the odds. He was meant to endure and prevail under the worst adversities.

His purpose : Destoy the Psykers (and Chaos). That's his lifetime goal, probably partly why the Emperor built him. Endure and overcome, but he got a bit too big headed about that. He is inventive, a craftsman and is able to find solutions regardless of the situation.

His Fall : Emperor overcame a challenge for him. Totally hurts the pride and ego, as the necromancers' castle was a good proxy for the dangers of Chaos. Nurgle capitalized on that failure due to an inevitable contagion, and thus destroyed his willpower to achieve his role.

XV - Magnus - The psyker

That is pretty obvious isn't it ? :P

XVI - Horus - The General

He is awesome at commanding people and getting problems solved quickly and efficiently. He was meant to lead the forces of the Imperium : he inspires loyalty, respect, and manages to get the best out of his men!

His fall to Chaos : Cthonia. It's a harsh environment developing self preservation skills. Give the best soldier and best general the only choice but to focus on himself, and you are putting someone who will self preserve at the head of an empire.

XVII - Lorgar - The spiritual advisor

It's what he lives and what he is good at. Don't really need to explain more here ! Really was meant to make the Imperial Truth an awesome stuff to follow !

He could even have been a stand up comedian due to his people skills!

Fall : He grew up thinking gods existed. He was never meant to question the Imperial Truth, just to be the Imperium's best salesman. He just naturally defended the first truth he was told on Colchis, and could just not adapt beyond that.

XVIII - Vulcan - The protector

He was meant to defend the people to his dying breath. And start again. And again. That's why he respects Emps who threw his Salamander to save his son !

Besides, this 'defend against all odds' was how the Legion was employed before unification with Vulkan.

His purpose : Not only defending but bringing knowledge and bringing people together. Craftsmanship was inherited from Nocturne, not from his enduring talents.

XIX - Corax - The Assassin

Corax is awesome. But he was meant as a scalpel to remove the Emperor's threats in the shadows, even brutally. The first thing that he does in his life is to decapitate someone.

Pre reunion Raven Guard logs indicate they were used to this purpose, sometimes brutally.

They are naturals at killing and don't care about anything but solving the problem as quick as possible. Corax nuked Kiavhar just to get the war to stop.

His purpose : Liberate worlds. Because of Deliverance. Oppression is not cool (although it gives you plenty of opportunities to be stabby!)

XX - Alpharius Omegon - The Operative and Wetworker

Alpharius gets :cuss done, no matter against what and who, and he never leaves a trace.

You need a spy and someone to discretely destroy threats from within the Imperium without anyone knowing (while Corax's methods are more spectacular).

His Fall : Did he ? Really ? :P

---

Hope you guys liked it !

They were all intended to conquer the galaxy and expand the Empire, like good little tools. They were supposed to all be like Guilliman, but Chaos screwed a bunch of them up. So they had certain types of warfare and tasks they were better suited for, but at the end of the day, they were soldiers. Labels like the Russ's "executioner" or Perturabo's "pointless siege guy" were self-imposed.

The First Legion has also served since the inception of the astartes legion project and done things likely kept between only them and the Emperor, binding them to him. This is also why I think we will see the Lion/1st and Russ/Vlyka become the dynamic duo at the end of the heresy because they would damn every binding just to keep the Emperor alive and ruling.

Actually, unless they retcon this, Russ falls more on the Guilliman/Imperium over Emperor side of this argument. Russ and Lion did team up and were rushing to Terra, but Russ kept delaying them by stopping at every planet to chase off traitors. It is why the Lion felt Russ was responsible for the Emperor's death and went to fight him after the siege (and we get that scene of Russ offering his life up to Lion, and Lion turning his blow at the last moment to not be fatal).