Let's Make the Best List Out of the New Set

Son of Carnelian

Two boxes lets us be more adventurous try this out

HQ

praetor

consul + chaplain (one skull helmet needed)

TROOPS

16 x legion tactical squad + A' armour, L' claw and combi weapon

16 x legion tactical squad + A' armour, L' claw and combi weapon (leaving 3 combi weapon setsbiggrin.png )

TROOPS or HEAVY SUPPORT or bothmsn-wink.gif

Which leaves 12 bodies over for either tactical support squads (6 each of plasma, flamer and melta) or heavy support squads (6 ml and hb)

ELITES

10 x cataphracti + 2 hf, 2 combis, 2 paired L' claws, 2 C' fist 2 L' claw and 4 P' fists

contemptor + mm and fist

contemptor mortis + dual kheres ac

Does leave the doppleganger characters for conversion, statues or trading

As for additions I'm planning on getting 3 apothecaries first, 12 more bodies (mk 3 for tactical support squads) and a master of signals (but I'll probably just do a quick kitbash for him) then maybe a spartanmsn-wink.gif or an assault squad who knowswacko.png

Yeah, I'd also go with 3 Tac Vet Squads.

The Kit also comes with Melta Guns and the like so you can gear one up as a Melta Bomb'd and Melta Gun'd Tank Hunting Unit.

Another as A Missile Launcher Squad with a Rule of your Choice and the last as a Sniper Dual Heavy Bolter Squad.

That is, if there are 3x the 10 man Tac Sprue we saw with all the various weapon options. Because that gives you:

• 3 Heavy bolters
  • 3 Plasma guns
  • 3 Missile Launchers
  • 3 Melta Guns
  • 3 Combi-Weapons
  • 3 Flamers sadly not Heavy meaning you can do the Dual Sniper Heavy Flamer Trick.

I do find it odd that the kit has no Power Axe or Maul only having FW Style Lightning Claw / Power Fist (you glue the claws onto the fist), Power Sword and Chainsword.

But, I will gladly welcome Left and Right Handed power fists.

I do not see any flamers on the sprue.

Two boxes lets us be more adventurous try this out

HQ

praetor

consul + chaplain (one skull helmet needed)

TROOPS

16 x legion tactical squad + A' armour, L' claw and combi weapon (leaving 3 combi weapon setsbiggrin.png )

TROOPS or HEAVY SUPPORT or bothmsn-wink.gif

Which leaves 12 bodies over for either tactical support squads (6 each of plasma, flamer and melta) or heavy support squads (6 ml and hb)

ELITES

10 x cataphracti + 2 hf, 2 combis, 2 paired L' claws, 2 C' fist 2 L' claw and 4 P' fists

contemptor + mm and fist

contemptor mortis + dual kheres ac

Does leave the doppleganger characters for conversion, statues or trading

As for additions I'm planning on getting 3 apothecaries first, 12 more bodies (mk 3 for tactical support squads) and a master of signals (but I'll probably just do a quick kitbash for him) then maybe a spartanmsn-wink.gif or an assault squad who knowswacko.png

Sorry to break it to you and everyone else who intends to get two boxes, but that army is a pile of crap. I mean, truly dreadful. You have zero punch in the army. The dual Kheres is the only thing that potentially address a light vehicle or flier, barely. The only thing for anti-tank is a single multi-melta and then punching it in melee with power fists. Nothing that can deal with a Knight or superheavy, etc. Play this and feel like an IG player picking up dozens of casualties every 5 minutes, except you have a third as many guys and no tanks behind them to do the heavy lifting.

Yeah, I'd also go with 3 Tac Vet Squads.

The Kit also comes with Melta Guns and the like so you can gear one up as a Melta Bomb'd and Melta Gun'd Tank Hunting Unit.

Another as A Missile Launcher Squad with a Rule of your Choice and the last as a Sniper Dual Heavy Bolter Squad.

That is, if there are 3x the 10 man Tac Sprue we saw with all the various weapon options. Because that gives you:

• 3 Heavy bolters
  • 3 Plasma guns
  • 3 Missile Launchers
  • 3 Melta Guns
  • 3 Combi-Weapons
  • 3 Flamers sadly not Heavy meaning you can do the Dual Sniper Heavy Flamer Trick.

I do find it odd that the kit has no Power Axe or Maul only having FW Style Lightning Claw / Power Fist (you glue the claws onto the fist), Power Sword and Chainsword.

But, I will gladly welcome Left and Right Handed power fists.

I do not see any flamers on the sprue.

Med gallery 79873 10492 42525

@Terminus, what would you do to make a decent list out of the box then?

@OP I misread the first post, my bad. I though it was that you could ONLY used things from the box set, nothing else. Reread it.

For the Night lords, this could make a pretty good force however the only thing I'm concerned about is that the chargers from forgeworld don't connect to the marines hands in the same way. Any way around this?

It seems to be a pretty good deal to but two boxes and a couple of upgrade bitz from forgeworld.

I am doing Slamanders Pride of the legion  initial 1500 point list is something like

Praetor
Paragon blade
terminator  155

Elites 
Contemptor
assault cannon 190

Troops 
10 Vet Tactical

Sniper

Artificer armour
power weapon
2 Heavy flamer 250

10 Vet Tactical
sniper
Artificer armour
power weapon
2 Heay bolters 260

10 Vet Tactical
furious charge
Artificer armour
power weapon
melta bombs
2 meltaguns  275

Cataphractii Terminators
chainfist
Dragonscale storm shield
Heavy flamer  200

Heavy support
Pyroclasts
power weapon 170

This only requires some conversion work and a pyroclast kit.  Expansion will probably be transports, firedrakes, heavy weapons and tactical support squads.  Then Forgelord and some Castellax.

@ terminus: That's an imperial smegload of (mostly) troops of course it's not going to face up to most lists, I'm making the core of a force with the armour and other toys to be added later so what's your take on the box / list issue then?

@Terminus, what would you do to make a decent list out of the box then?

You can't. The box a cheap way to get the core troop choices of your army (either as tacs or vets), and a couple of okay elites in the Contemptor and Cataphractii. NOTHING MORE. If you want to actually play 30K, you still got to pay.

Okay - what would you guys recommend for Salamanders? Especially if I wanted to start by using the Covenant of Fire rite of war?

And also... those terminators... is there any point in building ordinary terminators for my Salamanders? Or should I convert them to have dragony storm shields?

This is something I made just by adding a few minis all HQ's with termies apoc with each tac squad contempt or guards the dorito dread. In my meta they house ruled no Spartan chassis's in 2000 poiinta or less

+++ Out of the box (2000pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) ++

+ HQ +

Iron-father Autek Mor [Cyber-familiar]

Legion Centurion [Artificer Armour, Cyber-familiar, Plasma Pistol, Power Weapon, Refractor Field, Void Shield Harness]

··Consul [Chaplain]

Legion Centurion [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist, Cyber-familiar]

··Consul [Primus Medicae]

+ Troops +

Legion Tactical Squad [14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

··Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour]

Legion Tactical Squad [14x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

··Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour]

+ Elites +

Apothecarion Detachment

··Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour]

··Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour]

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon

··Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [blessed Autosimulacra, Carapace Mounted Havoc Launcher, Extra Armour, Graviton Gun, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon]

Legion Terminator Squad [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, 9x Legion Terminators, 3x Lightning Claw, 2x Plasma Blaster]

··Legion Terminator Sergeant [Cyber-familiar, Grenade Harness]

+ Heavy Support +

Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought [Aiolos Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Heavy Flamer]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [X: Iron Hands]

• 1 month later...

Rhinos are probably not the best for World Eaters, as they want to assault, not shoot. Land Raiders Phobos', Spartans and Drop Pods all work.

Sicarans are always good; Venators for shutting down Super-heavies, Battle Tanks with lascannons for everything else.

Rampagers are ok. Red Butchers are great, though they NEED an Assault Transport, no exceptions.

You might find you only use part of the BaC box for them, but it's still a great buy!

On a side note, Mark IV looks really good with World Eaters, and they had quite a lot of it. One thing you can also do is put a few 40k "Sarum Pattern" helms on them, as they had access to them before anyone else. :)

• 1 month later...

If we break the rule of the thread slightly, what would you build out of the set to then expand upon and add punch?

I mean for just the box, Pride of the Legion seems logical. The terminators can be converted into Tyrant Siege terminators, and the PA can be Veteran tacticals, 1 squad with heavy bolters and sniper, the other with a different loud out (not sure what works yet, limited by the contents of the box).

The remaining 10, can be either tactical, support, or hss. But for the last 2 you will have to pay for the legion weapon set of your choice. The issue i have here, is finding out how to equip the preator, and where to put him. Golg makes terminators troops, but not Tyrants, and legion terminators with Golg really want a land raider.

But if we break the rule slightly and allow for addons, and using the box as a foundation to start HH, would you then still pick Pride of the Legion? Or keep Pride of the legion, and add Artillery (i'm an Iron Warrior.. what do you expect?!), some tanks of your choice, say preds or a scorpius. Then expand further with a fortification, more tyrant siege terminators, master of signals, etc.

Does that sound like a good way going forward, or is this a plan to fail?

• 2 weeks later...

i managed to make a pretty neat night lords army from the box with only a few extra buys plus some space marine stuff ive had lying around. went for

HQ

sevetar 
ROW: terror assault

Elites

contemptor
kheres assault cannon and chain fist

5 terminators

teleporter, 4 power fists, chain fist and plasma blaster

Troops

terror squad (sevatar here)

9 marines, 9 volkite chargers, serg with artificer armour
drop pod

terror squad 

10 marines, 10 volkite chargers, serg with chain glave
drop pod

terror squad 

10 marines, 10 volkite chargers, serg with chain glave
drop pod

Fast attack

10 night raptors

2 melta guns and serg with chain glave and melta bombs

Heavy Support

predator strike squad

2 predators with auto cannon and las cannon sponsons

I think its great how many different armies are coming out of this one box set

This is the perfect thread for me. I'm just getting back into 40k and it was actually through this board game (I've always loved 40k but it's an easy hobby to fall in and out of love with, but I always love board games). When I found out about 30k I was very intrigued and I'm looking for advice on how to build a nice and neat 2000pt Word Bearers list out of two boxes of Betrayal at Calth. I can of course add more later via FW, but I'd really like to just get something going as there's a group that plays 30k and I'd love to learn it inside and out using my own models.

I'm also interested in Zone Mortalis, but I think I can just have more experimentation there since the forces can be so small.

It seems that the XVII isn't so popular which I'm also curious about. I've read their special rules and they don't seem terrible!

It seems that the XVII isn't so popular which I'm also curious about. I've read their special rules and they don't seem terrible!

I don't know where you get that idea... I see a lot of tattooed space jerks around! That said, they do seem like a fun army with a lot of characterful rules, and they give you an excuse to field daemons alongside your Astartes, which makes your army a lot more interesting to paint and more visually interesting on the table (ie. a variety of textures, base sizes, etc). Though, they have also got some of the neater special models, like their crazy daemon-dread, and the gal vorbak, and some of their awesome characters... If I were to add a traitor legion to my collection, I'd be hard pressed to pick between Word Bearers and Sons of Horus, myself.

• 1 month later...

Terminators, Terminators and More Terminators.

Maybe a Dreadnought or two.

Done.

:P

Its why you'd take Golg in the first place.

Archived