REF LOC - Map of the Galaxy

Grifftofer

• 2 months later...

After reviewing the stellar maps of the Badab Sector and comparing it to ours, I am of the opinion that the Badab Sector is in between Sarum and Madrigal. 

I suppose this means that when the Maelstrom grows in size to swallow Madrigal, Badab will likely get swallowed as well.

It's certainly possible. Nate has loaned me Part 2 of the Badab War, so I'm going to read up on the sector. Since the Badab War won't happen in our timeline, I don't feel bad about using it here. Furthermore, it's only going towards a relatively minor Traitor faction.

EDIT: Thinking on it, I believe the Morning Stars should have Badab since they are far more willing to fight against their parent Legion than the Hammers are. Meanwhile, the Hammers should be located on the opposite side of the Maelstrom towards the Galactic East.

Edited by simison

Aye. It's something to consider for sure.

Now, we established that one Insurrectionist Legion's home world lies on the wrong side of the divide. Did we establish where Mardum and (SL world) sit?

Jep. Mardum is within the Segmentum Ultima. I think that Griff included it on the newest version of the map. Deep within the Dominion / Domain of Storms.

• 1 month later...

Did this get posted already?

I reckoned we ought to see where the different Forge Worlds sit, as that will dictate where they end up throwing their lot in. Based on this I think we can count several in with the Imperials, so:

Loyalist

Mars (after a certain amount of kerfuffle and kovfefe)

Voss

Krysis

Phaeton

Armageddon if we ignore certain lore (wait, if that's Ullanor it's crazy bloody close to Terra. Didn't the Beast Arises authors look at a map?)

Sarum (initially at least, as it's bound to the Halcyon Wardens, but it's very close to the Maelstrom)

Atar-Median

Iyacrax

Hephaesta

Mycenaean Forge Worlds/colonies

Three Fires Forge colonies

Insurrectionist

Akira

Triplex Shall

Tigrus

Anvillus

Incaladion

Estaban IV

Ryza

Kolossi

Metalica

Cyclorathe (not sure where it is, but Draykavac's lot just scream bad guys anyway)

Xana started off in Segmentum Pacificus, so I'm not certain about them.

After having read most of Retribution, I'm not sure if Xana becomes the first Hellforge in our 'verse. What triggers this descent into corruption is not only the alliance with Horus but the accidental releasing of Scoria thanks to the Loyalist raid. This raid only succeeds because of the stealth Dark Angel cruiser, which is possessed by the Grave Stalkers. Ergo, Alexandros never has the necessary materials to order the raid that Dorn does. So, if Scioria is not released, Xana does not experience the accelerated corruption that comes with this event.

This isn't to say Xana could not be the first Hellforge, just not as likely as it is in canon. Then again, with an extra decade, that might be all of the time needed for Xana to eventually arrive to the same conclusion.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone good with photoshop? I reckon we ought to try and do maps for different phases of the war, adding Legion symbols if we wanna get real fancy. Off the top of my head I'd at least like to have:

- Aftermath of the DoR

- First Solar War (the empire Icarion has managed to carve out, what the Loyalists have retained)

- The Suzerain split

- The Second Solar War

So I figured I should add the updated map here. I've moved Huron to be in a line with Fenris and Terra, Redd if you could give me a thumbs up/down that'd be great. I've also played around a little with the idea of adding two more Segmentums (Segmenta?). Given that Ultima is by far the largest of the 5 base Segmentums I thought that breaking that down into smaller pieces would be the most likely occurance for ease of administration towards the end of the Great Crusade. I took two of the suggested names (Lamia and Atlanticus) for them and divided the area up. The two images below show the new borders (in green) and then a quickly painted overlay showing the relative sizes of the now 7 Segmentums. Ultima is still pretty damned big, covering roughly the same area as Obscura, Lamia and Atlantica, but would likely be more densely populated due to the thickness of the galaxy nearer to the centre and the density of star clusters in those regions.

TLmWTFP.jpg

NUcvdBJ.jpg

As always let me know what you think. I'm also looking to start adding some more of the 'peripheral' locations onto the map. Places like Katai and the Forge (don't recall the name off the top of my head), as well as other DoR locations seem like they would be good starting points for branching out. If anyone knows where they are post below.

I'm still confused about Lamia. Why that name? 

Also, although there would be more star clusters closer to the galactic center, they'd actually be less likely to be inhabitable since they'd be outside of the galactic habitable zone. That's just a scientific nitpick though.

Also, did Pacificus shrink? It seems to be half the size compared to the first map you've made.

All that said, love the work done Grifft! It's much easier to see the Insurrection with this. It looks like the Suzerainty will naturally develop in Obscurus and will grow in between Huron and the Dominion.

I'm still confused about Lamia. Why that name? 

Also, although there would be more star clusters closer to the galactic center, they'd actually be less likely to be inhabitable since they'd be outside of the galactic habitable zone. That's just a scientific nitpick though.

Also, did Pacificus shrink? It seems to be half the size compared to the first map you've made.

All that said, love the work done Grifft! It's much easier to see the Insurrection with this. It looks like the Suzerainty will naturally develop in Obscurus and will grow in between Huron and the Dominion.

Pacificus hasn't been shrunk exactly, but by tracing the actual 30K map dimensions I've made all the segmentums the 'correct' size relative to one another rather than the more 'artistic' approach I took before.

As for Lamia, it was one of four names that were suggested back somewhere in the thread (page 5/6?) and it sounded cool. It's pretty much a placeholder for now though so we can change it if we want. Assuming we even want to have the extras, that is.

I suggested it as a name for the "Ghoul Star" segmentum(for want of a better description) seeing as several legion home world's *looks at Iran* are past the Imperium's canon borders I thought more segmenta might be introduced to facilitate the governance of such an enlarged region of space. Why Lamia? If memory serves, it was because it was a Latin term used to refer to Medusa and her sisters. I might be misremembering though

Speaking of the Imperium's enlarged size, should I expand some more on the beacons?

Edited by Sigismund229