REF LOC - Map of the Galaxy

Grifftofer

Hi, been lurking for a while and Simison said I could hop on board to do a little bit of writing and throwing ideas around.

Just a couple of questions about recruitment- in this universe would the Legions continue to draw their recruits from particular Terran regions (if they continue to draw them at all- in Scars it's mentioned that most drew their recruits from right across the planet, with the Luna Wolves taking the very best). And if I remember correctly, Cthonia was marked as a good supply of aspirants regardless of Horus' presence. So I guess they could be shared among the legions, at least to begin with. I could see Raktra wanting to call dibs on them.

Welcome on board bluntblade!

To answer your questions, yes our legions do recruit from specific regions of Terra, off the top of my head the recruitment regions are:

III-Crimson Lions: North Albyon and Norsca.

IV-Void Eagles: Ursh

V-Halycon Wardens: Prussia/Jermania

VI-Iron Bears: Nod Merica

VII-Berzerkers of Uran: Sud Afrik

XII-Wardens of Light: Albyon(?)

XIII-Eagle Warriors: Sud Merica

XVI-Drowned: Atlantean basin.

XVII-Warriors of Peace: Chin

XVIII-Stygian Jackels: Australia

as far as I remember those are the only ones we've mentioned.

XIX Scions Hospitalier -> Pan-Pacific Trenches or something to that effect.

Essentially the Mariana's Trench after having been emptied of its water and the surrounding regions.

Edited by Slipstreams

IV-Void Eagles: Ursh

Don't know where you've read that, because the Terran Void Eagles were recruited from Thumli-Cambay (Northern India) and the various suborbital plates above Terra.

As for the Warbringers, their initial recruits were from Pansylvania, Ursh, and Jermani.

If I remember right, the Wardens of Light were not merely from Albyon, but all of Europa.

Edited by Skalpynock

The Wardens recruit from all over the world but mostly from basquia, france( what would that be in 30k?) and kreolia ( south west france and Spain)

And to be clear: Inigo Montoya is a Warden of Light;)

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

I know the canon legions recruited heavily from particular areas, but that changed over time (though to be honest, Scars has the only depiction I've seen of Terrain aspirants in the middle of the Crusade). But then again the Scars carried on favouring recruits from Asiatic territories, so it's not stretching things too much for legions to hang on to their preferred regions.

France is Frank. With Belgium added, I think.

The Crimson Lions originally drew their recruits from northern Albyon(modern day northern england and scotland) and the Scandinavii tribes on Terra. While they continued to draw the majority of their recruits from Terra after the Great Crusade, they also drew recruits from any world which they viewed as suitable whenever possible(so some of them would likely be Cthonian).

Once Hectarion was found, they began to draw the majority of their recruits from Mycenae, although they still draw on recruits from other suitable astartes recruitment worlds in their empire or from places like Cthonia in order to bolster their numbers(as they frequently take heavy casualties through specializing in boarding actions)

Edited by Sigismund229

• 3 weeks later...
A question I forgot to follow up with: did any BotL Legions retain their "fiefs" for recruitment, or did Terra shift to the same system of recruitment as seen in Scars, post-Unification? Edited by bluntblade

As far as I'm concerned, I always imagined the Crimson Lions keeping their recruitment zones and not expanding outside of them much(although if they come across somewhere like Barbarus they'll recruit a load of people there and then move on and if they're really impressed by the ppl of that world then a Clan may occasionaly go back and draw more recruits from there)

I figured that Barbarus would have a bunch of aspirants taken and then be terraformed. Maybe it just tickles me to have one of the canonverse Death Worlds turned into an inoffensive agri-planet, but from an ethical and logistical standpoint there's no reason to leave Barbarus in its pre-Mortarion state except for. Tiny pool of potential aspirants.

Considering the sorcerous nature of those overlords, maybe the Fire Wardens should play a part too. Then again, given that Mortarion got his anti-psyker ideas from their example, that's probably too close to the canonverse. It'd be good to add another Legion though (perhaps a contingent of The Drowned).

The Wardens recruit mainly from terra and their home caerbannog. They continue to draw aspirants from terra as Gwal thinks, thst forging these bonds increases the bonds to the imperium.

If on their crusade they come across worthy aspirants, they send them to caerbannog in order to become marines.

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

A question I forgot to follow up with: did any BotL Legions retain their "fiefs" for recruitment, or did Terra shift to the same system of recruitment as seen in Scars, post-Unification?

Short answer: no for both legions under my supervision, but the Void Eagles recruitment process is a particular matter which ought be clarified. I might as well do it here.

When Yucahu was reunited with his legion, he was at the head of a multi-systems pseudo-empire, though he regarded himself purely as a conqueror and left the task of ruling and administrating to others. As this cluster was integrated into the Imperium, many young soldiers in his fleet were inducted in the IVth Legion, forming the initial wave of Void Eagles. However, as the legion was reorganised and spread across the Galaxy, recruiting from any single source proved to be a logistical nightmare. Combined with the heavy losses inflicted during ship-based battles, the Eagles resorted to induct the people of the worlds they conquered, orphans of bloody massacre. Perhaps is it the source of the character of the legionaries of the Fourth, brothers sharing not only the same gene-seed, but also an origin as those liberated by the legion's fire.

I figured that Barbarus would have a bunch of aspirants taken and then be terraformed. Maybe it just tickles me to have one of the canonverse Death Worlds turned into an inoffensive agri-planet, but from an ethical and logistical standpoint there's no reason to leave Barbarus in its pre-Mortarion state except for. Tiny pool of potential aspirants.

Considering the sorcerous nature of those overlords, maybe the Fire Wardens should play a part too. Then again, given that Mortarion got his anti-psyker ideas from their example, that's probably too close to the canonverse. It'd be good to add another Legion though (perhaps a contingent of The Drowned).

Unless by some perverse twist of fate Barbarus had some kind of extremely valuable resource in it and it became a penal colony or something...

Also, given the nature of the overlords this might be a perfect warzone in which to deploy one of the pariah legions who haven't seen much screen time yet(Warriors of Peace?)

Edited by Sigismund229

The Halcyon Wardens would continue draw recruits from Terra. If anything, when Alex becomes Warmaster, he, the Emperor, or the Council might expand those recruiting rights into the areas abandoned by other legions.

What about the Fire Keepers? I imagine Niklaas "the Witchbreaker" would jump at the chance to burn some filthy Xeno Necromancers, perhaps a joint operation with the Warriors of Peace?

Well, we've established via another scene that it was primarily Hectarion's gig (although the Lions will be in the background). I reckon I'll go with the Warriors of Peace, but the Fire Keepers will have their chance to shine.

I like this, gradually building up a solid mental image of each Legion. The Berserkers now stand apart from any other :cusshole Legion or chapter in my head.

Edited by bluntblade

bluntblade, given the nature of the foe that they'd be fighting on Barbarus, possibly elements of 3 different legions showed up. From the Lions I'd behappy if only Clan Karakal was present and the show was Niklaas' as the Lions have already received a fair amount of screen time

Well Niklaas was the fifth primarch found so it could have been that the legions of later found primarch's served under his command for a time before their primarchs were found. Hesh and I have a fluff connection between the Drowned and FK already. Hennasohn fought with the FK for a time.

Crimson Lions along side Fire Keepers is an interesting contrast as the CL are shield line centric and the FK seldom use shields.

"We will scatter your ashes with our steps."

Edited by Demus Ragnok