Something with Honour came in the mail today...

Prot

So I was anxiously waiting for this package and it finally arrived just this week:

gallery_2760_10216_250199.jpg

Macragge's Honour finally found it's way to me. Also I wanted one of the limited prints.... and got 42/100. I have no idea if it will sell out but I think it's a fine piece and I'll frame it for my office.

The book is a nice, albeit short read. The artwork and writing is great. It's a shorter graphic novel so there isn't a lot to the story. It's quite straight forward but even so there are some nasty hooks and curveballs the Word Bearers throw at the Ultramarines.

But as we've seen since Know No Fear, if you mean to kill an Ultramarine, you'd better be sure he's dead because he'll find a path to victory no matter the cost.

The story is very evenly told, it has the somewhat typical 'tie game' feel to it in the end, and I won't give any spoilers but there is perhaps a 'winner' in this one, but no clear cut victory can truly be had. War is like that, right?

The characters are good, a touch light, but the book truly wins me over in the mood, and characterization of the main characters. Typical Abnett makes us like the ordinary joe, in this case the acting Shipmaster for the Macragge's Honour. However it is Aerion Merssasor that wins me over. An Ultramarine if there ever was one. And for the Word Bearer fans Kor Phaeron is portrayed as suitably insane, slight deranged, and capable of mass destruction.

But again the 'mood' created by the art is just fantastic. It truly is a dark setting, and the art takes to scenes we've only visualized through crafty story telling until now. The Battle Fleet Gothic type scenes have epic moments in the book, and the visuals of the warp are suitably bizzarre. It really is cool to see this stuff set to a graphic novel.

I also want to say the artist, Neil Roberts, is incredibly consistent. I used to be a comic penciller many moons ago and I know what it's like to have to fill deadlines and there are many pages where you want to just do a splash panel and no multi point perspective background, just to get to the next panel. Not here though.... the art through out is very strong, with great storytelling. I can't imagine how badly blown the deadline on this book may have been. :)

So it's a short read, but a fun, fast paced story set to a mural like landscape, and I'd recommend it to any heresy buff.

Archived