[WIP]Salamanders: Ashen Brigade ++ The Old and the New

BlueBelly1863

I second Carnelian on the helmet and base. You could always paint the helmets black and then give them a drybrush of dark grey followed by a lighter drybrush of light grey. If that's not the effect you're after, feel free to disregard.

Anyway, you asked about weathering and you want your models to be the best so here's a quick and dirty way to weather them:

Start off by getting a sponge. GW used to include one in their blister packs but those days are over. If you have some foam trays, snag a divider from one of those. If not, go to the local dollar store and grab yourself a pack of non-soapy sponges in the kitchen aisle. You can cut these up into whatever shape you need and, as an added bonus, you'll have enough sponge for a whole army :laugh.:. Now that you have your sponge, get some brown paint and grey paint on your palette. I'll use the GW names from here on out because that's what I mainly use. Roughly mix these two paints so that you have little blending between them. After that, grab your sponge, dip it in the paint, and then dab the hell out of it on some kitchen towel until there is barely any on there. Don't over-worry if you have too little- you can always add more. Take the loaded sponge and apply it to the model. Place more on the legs as they see the most wear and tear but have fun with it.

After that, say this mantra to yourself three times a day: "Agrax Earthshade is my friend." Grab yourself a pot of Agrax and apply it to the recesses of the model. ALL recesses. Don't be lazy :tongue.:. What will this do to your Athonian Camoshade? It will enhance it to new levels. While you're grabbing that shade, you might as well pick up some Lahmian Medium. Any acrylic medium will work if you want to shop at Michael's or some other big name hobby store. Take your medium, either Lahmian Medium or something else (not water), and mix it with the Agrax if it looks too dark for you. Medium dilutes the paint without changing its properties unlike water.

That's just two ways to weather your force. YouTube has some great weathering techniques that other modelers use on scale tanks and what-not. Be a sponge and soak it all up.

Hope that helps :smile.:!

That's a sally alright! Looks good dude.

The hilights look good! I think they just need dulling. Maybe a wash or something?

Thanks Charlo! Would a wash not overly dull it though? maybe just a lighter shade of green... 

Obviously I'm biased, but I think these look great. Reversing the direction of the flames gives the model a fantastic consistency. The only two things I would still recommend is that you a.) paint the bases a little darker to contrast with the lighter color scheme and b.) just paint the helmets black rather than drybrush. It doesn't quite have the effect it should. Maybe try drybrushing harder or lighter if you're really set on getting that look? Anyway, can't wait to see more! 

Why would you be biased bro? :tongue.: I agree with the bases, I'm not satisfied with how they turned out. Going to try and make it better on the newer models and then if that works out just rebase the test models completely. As for the helmets, I think the effect of rubbing the soot and ash on them looks good with the drybrushing, but I've only done it to two models so far. We'll see! 

Thanks for the weathering advice mehman! I'll definitely have to try that out when I have more resources at my disposal at home over winter break! 

• 1 month later...

Well winter break is over, I'm back at school, and therefore I can begin to paint and model again. Restrictions at my mom's new house made it so I couldn't paint at all over break. Excited to get back at it and paint some more sallies. Also just ordered pyroclasts from forge world with a gift voucher I got for Xmas, so looking forward to putting those models together! 

So I've settled on a color scheme and basing scheme after incorporating some of the advice I got on here, and I'm happy to say I've finished my first two veteran tactical marines that will be the basis of everything else I paint for the army! I'm really excited about how they turned out and the level of detail I was able to put on them. I'm quite sure they're the best models I've ever painted. Here they are!

gallery_87472_11470_9119.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_24387.jpg

Will go back and add a few more little details and touch-ups as needed and as paints I have ordered come in. (need to do a wash on the metals still. Tried to do the bases to look a bit as if the ground was scorched and burned and ash had settled down on the plains of Istavaan or another system where the Salamanders hunted traitors. I'd love to here what you all think of the Ashen Brigade!

Great looking sallies you've got there. The free hand flames look really nice and clean and pop nicely next to the armour. you could make them look more organic by dropping the amount of yellow, and increasing the orange and red, they look like a sodium fire at the min. Look forward to seeing more.

I can back up my brother's claim. These are some of his very best ever. The bases are BREATHTAKING. They fit the mood of the models perfectly, something you often don't get even from professional painters. The flames look ace as well.

One thing I would recommend is that you put a little dot of white in the back corner of the eye lenses. That makes them look more like glass. Still, these totally rock. 

Great looking sallies you've got there. The free hand flames look really nice and clean and pop nicely next to the armour. you could make them look more organic by dropping the amount of yellow, and increasing the orange and red, they look like a sodium fire at the min. Look forward to seeing more.

I appreciate it! Much more to come in the future! I'll try that with the flames for sure, it could use some variation! 

Those are gorgeous (in my most heinous New England accent ever.....)

Thanks so much! Glad you're liking them! 

I can back up my brother's claim. These are some of his very best ever. The bases are BREATHTAKING. They fit the mood of the models perfectly, something you often don't get even from professional painters. The flames look ace as well.

One thing I would recommend is that you put a little dot of white in the back corner of the eye lenses. That makes them look more like glass. Still, these totally rock. 

Thanks! just a few drybrushed layers of lighter and lighter grays did the trick! I really like how they turned out as well. As for the lenses, I did do that! Kind of hard to tell, but I'll send you a pic brother

• 2 weeks later...

Super excited about what came in the mail today!!! gallery_87472_11470_94696.jpg

THe pyroclasts are soaking now and getting ready for basecoating in a day or two. I'm saving the upgrade kit for when I get more HH models, whether from Calth or from Forge World. No need to open them now, so I'm not going to mess with it, Any tips or tricks on cleaning off the resin models?

Hey guys!!! Super proud to say I've completed my first squad of the Ashen Brigade Salamanders! Tons of hours went into them but I've really satisfied with how they all turned out, definitely my best work ever. Now just need to get them on the tabletop!

Pics pics pics:

gallery_87472_11470_101435.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_47485.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_117130.jpg

The sarge was the last member of the squad I did, and I was pleased with how he ended up looking. The plasma turned out better than I thought it might!

gallery_87472_11470_15287.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_6130.jpg

Great stuff, the flame work is impressive as is your edge highlighting. What's next?

Contemptor Dreadnaught is being painted up right now! Hopefully will have him done in a few days, but there are lots of edges to highlight.... 

As promised, here is the contemptor dread I poured all of my free time into this week! Really happy with the free hand on the front and the flames on the sides of the legs. I may redo or just paint over the flames on the front, I'm not totally sure if those work. Opinions welcome. Also think the shading looks pretty good, but thats up to the community I guess! Converted a flamer in the power fist arm cause Salamanders and fire and yay.

gallery_87472_11470_105066.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_60966.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_96703.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_8485.jpg

First off, do not remove the flames from the front it would be a crime I might have to hunt you down! You might want to increase the red an orange to those flames (I mentioned that in a previous post) they are rather yellow, if you want to change anything. There is a lot of green, suggestion maybe paint the shoulders black, or free hand a scale pattern on there. Basically you've done a great job.

First off, do not remove the flames from the front it would be a crime I might have to hunt you down! You might want to increase the red an orange to those flames (I mentioned that in a previous post) they are rather yellow, if you want to change anything. There is a lot of green, suggestion maybe paint the shoulders black, or free hand a scale pattern on there. Basically you've done a great job.

Thanks so much Baz! (can I just call you Baz? lol) I definitely see what you mean with the yellow dominating, I tried to change that a bit with the legs but it could be done more. I'll see how that looks on the pyroclasts! 

• 2 weeks later...

The first three pyroclasts are all done! I'm incredibly happy about how they turned out, especially with the shading and the salamander skin/scales. Wanted these guys to be a centerpiece of my force, and I think they will be. Enjoy!! c&c always welcome brothers!

gallery_87472_11470_31760.jpggallery_87472_11470_34671.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_11907.jpggallery_87472_11470_55402.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_37035.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_36789.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_58641.jpg

FOR VULKAN!!!!!

Love the depth you have captured with these guys! The sculpted flames blend seamlessly with the ones you've freehanded. I can't wait to see the full squad!

Thanks bro! I'm swamped with work right now, so it may actually have to be until after my spring break until the whole squad is completed. Have to give them all the time they deserve ya know.. 

• 2 months later...

Brothers, I must apologize for my extended absence. Life is a cruel mistress, and school work and pledging my fraternity came to completely control my life since my last post and just a few weeks ago. However, I've been able to do some work in that time, and my final two pyroclasts are nearing completion:

gallery_87472_11470_13010.jpg

All that's left is highlights and touch-ups. Many more detailed pictures to come upon their completion.

It was a good day today for spray painting, which is rare in Virginia in the summer months so I seized the opportunity. Hre are pics of the rest of my BaC figures being based then after they were basecoated today:

gallery_87472_11470_121300.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_50831.jpg

Now to find where I'm supposed to make my ETL vow in the AoD thread....

And now that I'm home, there has been plenty of painting done today! I finished the last two pyroclasts, so here are some pics of them!! Hope you like!

gallery_87472_11470_57277.jpggallery_87472_11470_8764.jpg

And the full squad of pyros together:

gallery_87472_11470_1444.jpg

Really really happy with how they all came out in the end. Definitely the best models I've ever painted. Thought the shading on them was really good, but always want to hear ways to improve! Also these were my first all-resin models that I've built and painted, and did so without any major mishaps so I consider that a victory for Vulkan!

Also pledged a veteran squad and praetor for ETL V, here's a pic of them coming along today:

gallery_87472_11470_32385.jpg