[WIP]Salamanders: Ashen Brigade ++ The Old and the New

BlueBelly1863

Well folks,

IT'S HAMMER TIME.

gallery_87472_11470_42728.jpg

They're assembled and now have a basecoat of black on em! Not gonna attach the shield arms until after they've been painted, as if I had fully assembled them it'd be tough to paint a lot of areas. Now, trying to convince myself I need to finish my termie praetor before I start on these guys......

So jealous I still haven't gotten any Firedrake models myself they're so glorious I'm excited to see how yours turn out. Do you paint with them on the base? I know a lot of people do and I use to myself if you haven't before I would so very highly recommend making yourself some painting sticks they're almost as life changing as using a wet palette. I know once I started using them I'll never go back just throwing it out there keep up the awesome work brother and have a safe trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All! 

I've returned from my travels and look forward to getting back to the painting table once I move my stuff back to school tomorrow. I've gotten to play a few games with SonOfCarnelian and it's been a blast to actually put my Salamanders on the tabletop. Jeez Firedrakes are hard to kill. :biggrin.: My brother has a free shipping voucher to FW, so I wanted to hear peoples opinions on the Predator Infernus. Worthy Investment? Is there something at a similar price point that would be a better purchase? Thanks! 

For rule of cool yes. Personally (and what I'm going to do in the near future) get a Baal Pred (and build with H framers and flamestorm cannon). It will save you some dough, use the savings to purchase Sallie Rhino upgrades to pimp it up.

For rule of cool yes. Personally (and what I'm going to do in the near future) get a Baal Pred (and build with H framers and flamestorm cannon). It will save you some dough, use the savings to purchase Sallie Rhino upgrades to pimp it up.

Oh.. thats a great idea. Thanks Baz! 

Well, just played two games at my FLGS here in Cville, and got tabled both times by an Imperial Fists gunline. Must. Get. Tanks. (and longer range shooting in general)

Painting has begun on the Firedrakes though, with everything else on pause while I give these guys some attention. Here's a picture after layer one of three of warpstone glow to get that vibrant green I love!

gallery_87472_11470_68186.jpg

Awesome 'Drakes! The Baal Predator idea seems like the way to go; may need to do that myself lol :biggrin.: Gamewise, did you use anything to transport the firedrakes? I'm just deciding whether or not to get a Spartan... 

Anywho, looking forward to seeing the Firedrakes painted up:smile.:

Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier Foamy! Welcome to the thread, glad you like what they see! In terms of a transport, I currently don't have one for the Firedrakes (or anyone right now for that matter). I think a Spartan is a worthy investment, it would be incredibly helpful to have a big strong metal box to deliver the 'drakes to their objective. Having them plod along isn't really realistic. Gotta get something for my guys to ride in! 

They look great so far! I didn't realize that was your precess for getting the green.

Yes sir! I do three thin layers of warpstone glow in order to achieve the green! Because it's a pretty thin paint, the model doesn't look blobby at all after three layers which is nice. 

A bit more progress on the Firedrakes today! Went back over after three layers of Warpstone Glow and painted black all the detailing on the armor. Pretty much everything that isn't supposed to be green was painted black again, as plenty of paint goes where it isn't supposed to when doing several layers over most of the model like that. Here's a visual of what I did:

gallery_87472_11470_27254.jpg

Details (so many details....) are next! Taking advice for how to paint the thunder hammers :biggrin.:

• 2 weeks later...

So! Over the course of a week and a half or so I've finished my first Firedrake!! I'm really happy with how he turned out, but let me know what you think of course! This is the sergeant of the squad.

gallery_87472_11470_44509.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_74110.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_9500.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Progress continues on the Firedrakes, albeit slowly! Here are some WIP shots of the second Firedrake, because I realize I don't post a lot of pictures of minis in progress too often. I've done the metals and started working on the flames, as well as the details on the shield which isn't pictured here. Maybe 1/4th or optimistically 1/3rd of the way done. Lots and lots of details, shading, highlighting, and touch-ups left to do.

gallery_87472_11470_2206.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_71722.jpg

This is what I really came here to post however. A month or so ago I realized I had a ton of amazon gift card money that I had saved up over time. Sooooo this happened. Along with some Forge World door upgrade kits because my brother was kind enough to give me his January free shipping voucher. WOOT!!

gallery_87472_11470_27697.jpg

Promising myself I won't start to put them together until I paint at least three Firedrakes, but we'll see how long that lasts....

• 1 month later...

I'M ALIVE!! (Kind've like Vulkan huh?) I'm sorry its been so long brothers, but duties within real life drew me away from my painting table for a long time. I've gotten back at it the past few days, and have finished up another firedrake! Also, I hope to have some progress pics posted soon of my work on one of the tanks I picked up....

Anyways, here are pictures of the Firedrake! As always, C&C is welcome and encouraged.

gallery_87472_11470_49636.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_36291.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_61327.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_20724.jpg

(Ever thought about how all the firedrakes are left-handed? So strange to me. Guess they raise em different on Nocturne)