[WIP]Salamanders: Ashen Brigade ++ The Old and the New

BlueBelly1863

My guys aren't overly fluffed out BlueBelly! They belong to the third realm of Epithemus, and I tend to paint my infantry with markings of the 8th company, and armour as the 17th support cadre. But I've not really thought about it any deeper - mainly because deciding if my army is pre, post, or during Istvaan is just to hard!

Well, looking forward to this being a WIP post very soon, but until then, here's some background I've cooked up for my Sallies. I'm not great at tying a narrative together, so this is pretty bare bones. The idea is loosely based off of the Iron Brigade that fought during the American Civil War (I'm a big civil war nerd). I hope you guys find it cool! 

Backstory: 

From the death and destruction of Istvaan V, the survivors of the Salamanders reorganized themselves and prepared to bring the fight to the traitorous legions. The broken remnants of the 7th, 8th, and 24th Chapters, having sustained massive casualties, came together to form a new unit. Fighting together through the Horus Heresy, they stood out among other units for their bravery in battle and their steadfast nature. Their allies began to call them ‘The Iron Brigade,’ and over the course of the conflict, the name stuck.

The Iron Brigade, burning with hatred for their traitorous brothers, began a tradition among the fires of Istvaan that after each engagement, they would rub the black ash and soot of those traitors that were burned by the Salamanders flamers to make their helmets perfectly black. It served the purpose of unit cohesion, and as a symbol of mourning for the massive numbers of their battle brothers that had fallen in the conflict.

Recognized by their black helmets and known for their resolute nature, the Iron Brigade were often found at the vanguard of many battles. Eager to avenge their fallen brethren and bring honor back to their legion, the Iron Brigade threw themselves at the traitors.

Edited by BlueBelly1863

I like that backstory. I have painted my Salamanders in a similar way, only I went all dark grey armor with flames painted and traditional green icons. Very similar backstory to yours also, aftermath of Istvaan V. Hopefully I will get some progress pics up soon.

The only problem with doing a post Istvaan V army is that it makes me not want to take any super-heavies, and that Glaive continues to call my name.

I like that backstory. I have painted my Salamanders in a similar way, only I went all dark grey armor with flames painted and traditional green icons. Very similar backstory to yours also, aftermath of Istvaan V. Hopefully I will get some progress pics up soon.

The only problem with doing a post Istvaan V army is that it makes me not want to take any super-heavies, and that Glaive continues to call my name.

Thank you! That paint scheme sounds really cool, I'll eagerly keep an eye out for pictures!! 

Maybe you could just say they got re-equipped somewhere down the line... a glaive sounds pretty darn fun

I like the backstory sir, I think it is simple but strong, and exactly the kind of thing I wish I'd come up with when I got started! I'm not sure on the name though - I get that you want to tie into this Civil war history, which is cool, but a slight modification, say The Ashen Brigade, might fit the back story a bit better. I'd say the custom makes them stand out from other Salamander resistance forces, not their resolute nature, which is a trait of all Salamanders.

Caladancid - Glaive's call to all of us. They are like the sirens of the super-heavy world. At least the Salamanders are known to have used a lot of them... a few must have survived, and the Sallies could certainly fix and maintain them.

I like the backstory sir, I think it is simple but strong, and exactly the kind of thing I wish I'd come up with when I got started! I'm not sure on the name though - I get that you want to tie into this Civil war history, which is cool, but a slight modification, say The Ashen Brigade, might fit the back story a bit better. I'd say the custom makes them stand out from other Salamander resistance forces, not their resolute nature, which is a trait of all Salamanders.

Hmm.. I do really like the ring of that... and it ties in very well.. i think i may use that! Thank you for that awesome name! 

Well, thanks to my brother, Son of Carnelian, this is now a WIP thread!!! He sent me two models already base-coated black:

IMG 0567

I've begun painting them, layering warpstone glow several times to get a solid, vibrant green. 

IMG 0568

Edit: Click to enlarge! :biggrin.:

Edited by BlueBelly1863

After a day of work, here is the progress on my first two legionnaires!

I'm using warpstone glow as my primary, abaddon black as my secondary, and then red as my detail. To get the look of ash-blackened helmets, I painted the helmets just as part of the main body with warpstone glow and then heavily drybrushed them black. I'm really happy with how it turned out. I'm also mixing copper and leadbelcher, which I think helps darken the model a bit. C&C welcome! enjoy!

gallery_87472_11470_48653.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_8950.jpg

First legionnaire, pretty much done with besides a few touch-ups here and there and the base.

gallery_87472_11470_1446288.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_881078.jpg

I think the wash is pretty good here, I'm using athonian camoshade. I'm still pretty new to washes so any pointers would be great. This model isn't nearly as completed as the other, but he should be with another day's work. Trying to paint the chapter symbol on the shoulder pad, but not totally satisfied with the results.

If you want to try to break up all the Green on Mk III and Cataphractii in particular, try painting the rear hooped legplates in silver or another secondary color. By no means mandatory but makes for a nice variation.

2015 10 23 02.32.43

2015 10 23 02.31.34

2015 05 31 02.55.34

2015 05 31 02.54.19

Salie3

Salie5

Heres a few examples using craptastic phone pictures, one being my Salamanders Entry for March of the Legions.

Edited by Slipstreams

A really great start blue belly. The first guy looks great - well controlled edge highlights, some nice freehand flame work, and I really like the dry brushed approached to the ash blackened helms. With that you could really vary the look and level of ash between marines too, which is great.

Interested to see how the MKIII looks with some highlights. Great work - In Vulkan;s name, brother!

A really great start blue belly. The first guy looks great - well controlled edge highlights, some nice freehand flame work, and I really like the dry brushed approached to the ash blackened helms. With that you could really vary the look and level of ash between marines too, which is great.

Interested to see how the MKIII looks with some highlights. Great work - In Vulkan;s name, brother!

Thanks Kor'Vesh! I'll definitely post a picture of the MKIII when he's all done! 

Awesome stuff! Vulkan would be proud!

Thank you Charlo! I appreciate it! 

• 2 weeks later...

Brothers,

Work halted for a week because I went home for Thanksgiving break, and was away from my painting desk at college. But, while I was away, something came in the mail....

gallery_87472_11470_167481.jpg

Went right for the heroes first....

gallery_87472_11470_64630.jpg

swapped out the hand holding the chappie's weapon for a hand holding a power axe instead, but thats all I did! May go over the cloak later with GS scales...

gallery_87472_11470_257081.jpg

Fitted the termie with the power sword arm from the set, having to shave part of it off and having to shave part of the shoulder pad's ornaments.

Constructed the contemptor, but didn't change anything on him except put a flamer inside of the power fist instead of bolters. Next up will be some veteran squads!

Great job on your Salamanders. They're looking real nice :happy.:!

Have you thought about weathering them a bit to give them that in-battle feeling?

Thanks Meh!! I'd love to try some weathering effects, especially as I think more about a backstory for these guys and how I imagine them as just brutal fighters, burning with hatred for their heretical brothers. However, I have no experience with the technique. Are there quality tutorials on the B&C? Thank you!!

Any progress on those tests models? Do any highlights?

There is progress to report! I entered the casual hobbying challenge this month and so I've been spurred into action! Here are some pictures!!

Here are the models Ive constructed so far, with the 11 men I've entered in the challenge (10 tacs and my termie praetor) basecoated!

gallery_87472_11470_397271.jpg

Here is the progress I've made on the BaC models enetered in the challenge. It's not much to brag about yet, but I'm liking how the copper is turning out. Plenty of more work to be done.

gallery_87472_11470_19460.jpg

Finally, here is the (pretty much) finished test model carrying a flamer!! I reversed the origin of the flames at my brothers suggestion, and like how they turned out. Something about the highlights I dont totally love, I may paint over some of the on the smoother surfaces and make the others sharper. Suggestions?

gallery_87472_11470_475692.jpggallery_87472_11470_167425.jpg

Overall I'm really happy with the progress, especially as finals season is in full swing here at college. I struggled a bit with deciding how much greenstuffing I wanted to do with these guys. In the end I'm not very experienced with the stuff and I don't have all of the right tools, so I am foregoing it right now. My painting will have to individualize the miniatures.

The termie praetor is already going to be a challenge, I can tell. Will in all likelihood post tomorrow about him specificially, showing some progress.

Thats all for now though!! Thank you all for your kind words and advice! C&C is always welcome, I want these to be the best miniatures I've painted yet. For Vulkan!

Obviously I'm biased, but I think these look great. Reversing the direction of the flames gives the model a fantastic consistency. The only two things I would still recommend is that you a.) paint the bases a little darker to contrast with the lighter color scheme and b.) just paint the helmets black rather than drybrush. It doesn't quite have the effect it should. Maybe try drybrushing harder or lighter if you're really set on getting that look? Anyway, can't wait to see more!