[WIP]Salamanders: Ashen Brigade ++ The Old and the New

BlueBelly1863

Looking good, dude! I'd have to agree though; I think there is something missing. Have you considered possibly brightening the gold trim a bit? Another idea is to add a brighter yellow dot at the intersection of each 'lava' line on the sword? 

Looking good, dude! I'd have to agree though; I think there is something missing. Have you considered possibly brightening the gold trim a bit? Another idea is to add a brighter yellow dot at the intersection of each 'lava' line on the sword? 

The trim is actually a bronze to match with the rest of my army, but it does darken the model a lot. I may try the brighter yellow dot and see what I think of that. Thanks for the suggestion! 

The metallics look very... dark, which is not givng much contrast with the green, so maybe brighten them up a little, it is especially noticeable around the head.

The sword too, the black to orange is a bit harsh and could do with a touch of blending maybe

I'd suggest going over the bronze with a layer of sycorax and then brown washing it. Still bronze, but brighter

This may help a lot.... I'll try it! As Dantay_xv said as well, the metallics are quite dark. When I go to a GW store tomorrow I'll have to pick up a pot of Sycorax Bronze and try it out. Thank you! 

The metallics look very... dark, which is not givng much contrast with the green, so maybe brighten them up a little, it is especially noticeable around the head.

The sword too, the black to orange is a bit harsh and could do with a touch of blending maybe

I've never attempted anything like that, but I'd definitely be up to try on this model. Thanks for linking the videos, I'll give them a look! 

• 4 months later...

After being distracted partly by other projects and mainly real life (this is by far my busiest semester yet!) I'm back to give some love to the Ashen Brigade. The Rhino is slowly coming along, but today this is what is on the hobbying desk...

gallery_87472_11470_1612914.jpg

Look forward to getting some paint on these guys, I really want to make them stand out and look special.

• 3 months later...

Popping in to update everyone on the very slow progress I've made -- the first Primus Medicae is finished!

gallery_87472_11470_154392.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_933292.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_667539.jpg

It was a ton of fun painting this model. Loved all the different edges to highlight and various vials and tubes on him. I put a couple layers of varnish on the various vials that had stuff in them to give it the appearance of glass, I hope it worked the way I intended. C&C welcome, cheers!

Next is the other primus medicae and a rhino I've been working on for a while.

• 3 months later...

Woah holy late reply Batman!

Looks great, any reason why you avoided any white markings other than the right shoulder pad?

Not really! I honestly just didn't think of it. For the second model I'm definitely trying to include more white in it to make it more obvious. Making the smock white, maybe a kneepad too. Unsure as of right now. 

• 11 months later...

Well everyone, it's been a while. I've missed the B&C and I've missed this thread! My last year of college got way too crazy way too fast, and I'm just now coming up for air post-graduation. WHile Tyranids have distracted me, a certain graduation gift from my brother, SonofCarnelian, has gotten me re-focused on my Salamanders. 

Taking a warm, soapy bath right now is:

-10 Volkite chargers, which will go on a Mark III Tactical Squad recently ordered

-A legion moritat w/ volkite chargers

-VULKAN, Primarch of the 18th Legion

Needless to say, I'm pretty darn pumped about this wonderful gift and the challenge I have ahead of me. Maybe I'll work on that pesky apothecary in order to refresh my skill with Salamander green! Stick with me on this next adventure, True Believers! 

I also realize that I somehow neglected to share the completed Rhino with you all, so here it is! Was super pleased with how it turned out. I think the Salamander upgrades look wonderful with the model. As always, let me know any C&C.

gallery_87472_11470_1388779.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_838797.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_191258.jpg

gallery_87472_11470_46410.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see you back! Nice touch with the combi bolter rather than the storm bolter supplied with the kit. I'd give it a bit of weathering, but looks great.

Glad to be back Baz!! I think some weathering would be nice. I've never really done much with weathering, but I'm always open to trying it. Appreciate you for noticing the combi-bolter switch for heresy :wink:

About to actually re-focus on a few incomplete units because my brother and I are prepping for a doubles tourney, and what we really want is the best-painted army prize! Stay tuned friends.