Post-Isstvan Salamanders - big update

Black Cohort

So with the Horus Heresy not-starter set coming out in a couple of weeks I am going to be starting a Post-Isstvan Salamanders army.  While waiting for bits and the box set to come out I have started putting together a centurion model from bits I had sitting around.  Sorry for the picture quality.  The arms, backpack and head haven't been glued onto the main body yet.

Below are shots with the helmet I am most likely going with.  The cloak is still curing and will need scales added later after it has cured.

right side

left side

Here is the other option I am considering for the helmet.

second helmet

Thoughts?

I like the look of the miniature nice pose with a hint of authority. I prefer the first helmet the 2nd is a little pompous for my view of Salamanders (always saw them as one of the more practical legions who went more for small detail over OOT displays).

Any chance of back shot of the miniature?

I like the look of the miniature nice pose with a hint of authority. I prefer the first helmet the 2nd is a little pompous for my view of Salamanders (always saw them as one of the more practical legions who went more for small detail over OOT displays).

Any chance of back shot of the miniature?

I just finished the scales on the cloak.  Wasn't much point in showing the cloak in detail before it was done.

back right

back left

Looks good! Would love to see the cloak closer up! As I am about to start Salamanders myself, I'm very interested in how you did the cloak and how you went about painting the scales. 

The cloak was fairly easy if time consuming to make.  First I made a standard cloak out of greenstuff, in this case making the edges flayed and torn.  I let that cure overnight, then the next day did the scales.  The scales are the time consuming part which hopefully I will get better and more uniform at with practice. Each scale is a tiny ball of greenstuff that I placed roughly where it needed to be then rolled out into a scale on the cloak, I used a toothpick for that part that I was constantly soaking in water.  I tried to place the scales so they mostly ran in lines up the cloak.  Unfortunately there aren't a lot of good tutorials for making scales, particularly cloaks.

As for the paint, the whole model was primed black.  Then a liberal coat of Ushabti bone as the base.  After you have the bone base, I did a series of dry brushes with darker and darker browns, starting with a very heavy drybrush and trying to cover less surface (with less paint) with each additional layer.  I did three layers but you could easily vary that depending on what you want the final product to look like.

When I do my next set of photos I will try to get a better and closer shot of the cloak.

While I wait for Battle of Calth to release I have been thinking about fluff and lists.

For fluff I am obviously looking at a post isstvan force.  I am thinking of calling it the 3rd composite company, "The wrath of Nocturne".  These are warriors drawn from several companies to damaged to be rebuilt in the immediate aftermath of Isstvan and unwilling to sit idly by in humanities greatest hour of need.  They will take the fight to the traitors and will protect humanity by ending threats before they have a chance to reach unprotected imperial citizens.  These are dark, brooding warriors venting their rage and grief for a father thought lost.

They won't be fielding regular tactical squads, they don't have the marines to spare for such mass tactics.  Instead the company is loaded with gear, much of it taken from legion reserves and storehouses, for right now they have more gear than marines.  Thus the company will use veteran squads of all kinds, along with support and breacher squads.  I am still thinking about how exactly the company is structured.

As for army lists I am aiming to initially build toward the following list after finishing my test centurion.

I am doing  Pride of the legion  initial 1500 point list is something like

Praetor
Paragon blade
terminator  155

Elites
Contemptor
assault cannon 190

Troops
10 Vet Tactical

Sniper

Artificer armour
power weapon
2 Heavy flamer 250

10 Vet Tactical
sniper
Artificer armour
power weapon
2 Heay bolters 260

10 Vet Tactical
furious charge
Artificer armour
power weapon
melta bombs
2 meltaguns  275

Cataphractii Terminators
chainfist
Dragonscale storm shield
Heavy flamer  200

Heavy support
Pyroclasts
power weapon 170

Expansion will probably be transports, firedrakes, heavy weapons and tactical support squads.  Then Forgelord and some Castellax.

Looks great!! Thank you for the shot of the cloak! Do you have any plans to attempt to paint on the chapter symbol? I've flipflopped on how I want to approach it with my sallies.

Thanks. I have some shoulder pads on order but the rest of the guys are probably going without legion symbols on their shoulders.

Started building veteran tactical marines the last couple days.  I am trying to break up the uniform look that solely Mk IV would give them by adding other bits, mostly from the sternguard box I picked up at the same time.  So you will see guys with lots of bits of other marks of armour mixed in with their mostly mk IV suits, different types of bolters, different close combat weapons.

Wip squad

Wip Vet Sgt

Wip Vet 1

Wip Vet 2

Wip Vet 3

Wip Vet 4

Wip Vet 5

Wip Vet 6

As always comments and concerns are appreciated.

I like them. Your Green Stuff-fu is strong happy.png!

Bold move on taking two Heavy Bolters. I can't like that idea more than I do right now <internet high-five>.

sniper, assault 18 heavy bolters, what isn't to like?

The plan is to do 2 other veteran squads, one with dual heavy flamers and one with dual melta guns and melta bombs for all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Been a while since I updated things and a lot of of progress has been made.

Vet squad 2 is painted

Vet squad 2 completed

vet squad 2 group 5

vet squad 2 group 4

vet squad 2 group 3

vet squad 2 group 2

vet squad 2 group 1

A Land Raider appeared at Christmas and has been painted

land raider finished

And a breacher squad has been built and painted

breacher squad completed

breachers 1

breachers 2

breachers 3

breacher Sgt left

breacher Sgt front

Breacher Sgt right

As always your comments are appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived