Jetbike Tactics

Lord Blackwood

So I recently did some work  to paint up a tiny squad of Scimitar Jetbikes, I really like the way the models look I was wondering  if people field them and how they do so?

The previous advice I got was to make sure to give them Melta Bombs  and if taking a sargent to take a Power weapon 

I know they can deep strike but is that the only benefit they get from  being jet bikes  as opposed to normal wheel having bikes? 

How Big do you reckon a squad should be?

Just looking to strum up some discussion about the units. 

Always take them in multiples of 3 the best size to aim for is 6 really.

Although they can Deep Strike I find that this doesn't really do anything for them unless your kitting them out to be Anti Infantry. It's much better just to fling them up the field using turbo boost and scenery to hide them from the enemy.

I don't personally think the Sarg is worth it unless your sticking a Praetor or Primus Medicare in the squad.

Also look at there stat line for the benefits you get I can't put it any clearer than that without real lying off all there rules.

I don't really like taking the plasma cannon either because if you jink you can't snap fire it but I have heard that some people love it.

I've been considering them for my eventual full Emperor's Children army, and I've been leaning more and more towards a Jetbike command squad rather than the normal unit. 

The perks: Better close combat capacity (WS5, 2A base, lots of melee upgrades), fearless bubble, makes for extremely hard to kill Praetor and unit, good at shooting and melee. 

Downsides: no Jetbike upgrades; stuck with stock heavy bolters, slightly more expensive per model, lower max size (less relevant given no upgrades), still need to a Primus Medicae to be exceptionally durable. 

That being said, it's one of the more unkind, and very EC-fluffy deathstars I've come up with (I imagine White Scars will make this particular combo a bit more potent too), but it will no doubt attract fire like nothing else. With iron Hands, it'd be terrifying at range. 

However, the opportunity to throw that against Eldar in 40k fills me with joy; the look on the local Eldar player's face when I broke down the unit was priceless (though I did neglect the points cost - that would no doubt return his typical Eldar confidence). 

Bs5 Imperial Fists HB Jetbikes is also a nice little bump to the unit but otherwise, any legion does them well with IH w/ Primus Medicae possibly being the Toughest being effectively T6 Vs Shooting.

Well they're fast T5 2+ Save WS4/BS4 units with heavy weapons. They're pretty dang versatile.

Throw on melta bombs & multimelta for AV

Throw on volkite & hand flamer for AI

Throw on plasma cannon for 2+ clearing I guess

How do the rules combine with Legion rules though, for example Salamanders can replace any HB in their detachment with a HF for free - but Jetbikes allow only 1 in 3 to choose a heavy weapon. As HB is stock, can I choose 2xHF 1x 'Other' HWep?

Cos mobile +1S Heavy Flamers ... *slobbers*

They are a fast moving multimelta.

A Land Speeder does the same for cheaper.

They do have a T5 2+ save, which might make them a target for heavier shooting, but between Jink, it is kind of wasted, and inevitably eat the odd bolter fire or even extreme range bolt pistol shot from an assault unlikely to make their target.

Directing much firepower against a resilient unit with barely any hitting power is not an effective use.

If you use them, Multimelta, 3 men, Meltabombs. Have them Deep strike so they stay in battle longer, and don't get random shots plinking on them.

Work winders as Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors if you go second (always go second) because of Bitter End. Spunds like a malus but losing a pair of held objectives thanks to a two Jetbike units, reduced to one and two men respectively turbo boosting to within 3" range of objectives last turn, and losing 3-0 when you were winning 6-3 up until that turn is rough.

Know what else does well going second?

Drop Pods and reseve lists.

Know what else is strong?

Drop Pods.

Plus, I can guarantee that enemies do not like Deep Striking Rockit Vomit Terminators. Ultramarines have a lesser (read, more expensive) version of that, but they get Tank Hunters.

An Iron Warriors Orbital assault list with Assault Marines, and Deep struck Tyrants will make an opponent have second thoughts, and arguavly strong enough to mark them up a tier.

They are a fast moving multimelta.

A Land Speeder does the same for cheaper.

They do have a T5 2+ save, which might make them a target for heavier shooting, but between Jink, it is kind of wasted, and inevitably eat the odd bolter fire or even extreme range bolt pistol shot from an assault unlikely to make their target.

Directing much firepower against a resilient unit with barely any hitting power is not an effective use.

If you use them, Multimelta, 3 men, Meltabombs. Have them Deep strike so they stay in battle longer, and don't get random shots plinking on them.

Work winders as Imperial Fists and Iron Warriors if you go second (always go second) because of Bitter End. Spunds like a malus but losing a pair of held objectives thanks to a two Jetbike units, reduced to one and two men respectively turbo boosting to within 3" range of objectives last turn, and losing 3-0 when you were winning 6-3 up until that turn is rough.

Know what else does well going second?

Drop Pods and reseve lists.

Know what else is strong?

Drop Pods.

Plus, I can guarantee that enemies do not like Deep Striking Rockit Vomit Terminators. Ultramarines have a lesser (read, more expensive) version of that, but they get Tank Hunters.

An Iron Warriors Orbital assault list with Assault Marines, and Deep struck Tyrants will make an opponent have second thoughts, and arguavly strong enough to mark them up a tier.

Interesting ,Ill keep that in mind , the tip about going second as I play Imperial Fists 

I guess deep striking these guys and running them at something with armor that needs  metla bombing is the most effective use fer em  then , fair enough. 

How do the rules combine with Legion rules though, for example Salamanders can replace any HB in their detachment with a HF for free - but Jetbikes allow only 1 in 3 to choose a heavy weapon. As HB is stock, can I choose 2xHF 1x 'Other' HWep?

Cos mobile +1S Heavy Flamers ... *slobbers*

Always thought they could exchange the Heavy Bolter for a Heavy Flamer to be honest

RAW, Sally jetbikes can swap all their HB to Heavy Flamers but if you do it squad wide before buying special weapons, you technically wouldnt be able to anymore since the entry specifies, iirc, swapping their HB for VC/PC/MM.

Order of operations :p

Now as I've been having a mooch I've found a particular build and I'm not sure how it would rock other than being pricey. Back to Iron Hands again, putting a forge Lord on jetbike. I'm sure I've not missed anything and it's all legal. So then we have our refractor field with cyber familiar so rocking a 2+ 4++ pseudo T6 vs shooting has battlesmith and can take from the tech marine list. This list includes rad grenades and other cool toys like conversion beamers and graviton guns. Being a relentless platform these can move and fire but herein lies the choose your build, either fly around fixing and shooting or fly around fixing and combating.

Pretty sure only heavy conversion beamers have firing calibration in 30k, no?

And yes, including some relics most legions can make some nasty jetbike deathstars. Though Im waiting for the BA or WS to make my own.

Looks like operation conversionbikebeamerstardoomtech unit is a go!

Though, ideally in a normal game youd go for Graviton Guns over the conversion beamer in my opinion.

In apoc games they can be a sneaky, fast but punchy unit since youll onviously have the range to use the S10 Shot to full effect.

Oh, and Helter, for added hilarity, give the Forge Lord the Graviton Gauntlet relic.

Up to 4 haywire shots on him alone though 3 are in Flamer Template form from the relic. Itd make for a pretty nasty surprise to drop alongside podded gravnaughts to instagib armor.

Looks like operation conversionbikebeamerstardoomtech unit is a go!

Though, ideally in a normal game youd go for Graviton Guns over the conversion beamer in my opinion.

In apoc games they can be a sneaky, fast but punchy unit since youll onviously have the range to use the S10 Shot to full effect.

Oh, and Helter, for added hilarity, give the Forge Lord the Graviton Gauntlet relic.

Up to 4 haywire shots on him alone though 3 are in Flamer Template form from the relic. Itd make for a pretty nasty surprise to drop alongside podded gravnaughts to instagib armor.

Filth

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Titan hunting potential for jetbikes.

A squad of six has a damn good chance of downing a Warhound for waaaay less points than it is. Moderately sure they'd take a pretty good chunk out of a Reaver too. Void shields and armored ceramite won't save its giant ass from melta bombs :d

while i am not overly excited by regular jetbikes, I think there is a lot of potential for command squads mounted on bikes - lots of powerweapons with fast mobility, special rules (standard bearer is awesome) such as fearless and taking challenges etc...

Yes, a Jetbike Command Squad loaded to the brim with Stuff can be nasty but it means they will have the esteemed pleasure of getting shot at by every and anything that can tongue.png

The Main Downside is that...it costs a LOT.

For example:

+++ JETBIKES (825pts) +++
++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (825pts) ++
+ HQ (825pts) +
Legion Centurion (170pts) [Artificer Armour, Boarding Shield, Legion Scimitar Jetbike with Heavy Bolter, Melta Bombs, Power Weapon]
Primus Medicae Consul
Legion Praetor (690pts) [Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Legion Scimitar Jetbike with Heavy Bolter, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Melta Bombs, Paragon Blade, Void Shield Harness]
··Legion Command Squad [5x Combat Shield, Legion Scimitar Jetbikes with Heavy Bolters, 4x Legion Space Marine Chosen, Melta Bombs, Power Fist, 4x Power Weapon]

If this is about tactics,well I own 6, and use either 3/4 in a squad (an additional wound body) with volkite and mb.

I don't :cussfoot about with them or deep strike(those bases and my rolling = mishap) only way I use them is hide out of site, then jump 12", and ram them the 24" additionally to get up into those weak backfield units, tactically positioned, I have brought down a malcador and many artillery lines this way with 4. Glancing rear armour, then finishing with mb.

It's good if you have 2 squads of 3' your enemy literally doesn't know how to deal with them. It's comical actually.

Because while he is worrying about my jet bikes destroying all his tanks, he isn't shooting at the rest of my army! Meaning my contempors are moving up and haywiring, and getting a t2 charge on something.

Tbh I use t1 to re org my army into perfect angles and weights of firepower and future tactical charges and set up. In true emperors children style.

I forgo the shots on sicaran/dakka preds and take 1 shot with my las vindi with machine spirit. Anyway.

So I use them in concert with it all, as they should be. A massive distraction which MUST be dealt with in the enemies face t1.

while i am not overly excited by regular jetbikes, I think there is a lot of potential for command squads mounted on bikes - lots of powerweapons with fast mobility, special rules (standard bearer is awesome) such as fearless and taking challenges etc...

Praetor on JetBike and Paragon Blade = 170pts

Command Squad, 2 Additional Chosen, 5 Bikes, 5 Power Weapons = 365pts

= 535pts

That's a lot of points for Power Weapons.

Archived