Dipping my toes into heresy

Carraigf

Those breacher squads are awful. What is their purpose?

Seriously, I had to do a double-take when I saw the point total at 5000. That's 5000 points? I wpuld have to really really try at 5000 points to make a list that wouldn't delete most of this army in one turn.

That's quite harsh, though I kinda agree in terms of the breachers.

There's a lot of wargear you don't need on those guys. As slips said breaching charges are unfortunately useless unless you play against fortification spam. For the special weapons, it might be better to go with melta or even a graviton gun because you can probably get a better source of CHOOOM in your list. I would imagine that this is a primarily fun type of army? Otherwise the rest of the army looks pretty fun.

Thanks Caillum, that's the second time I've tripped up on transport capacity - must do better :)

Chaplain does sound like a good idea, fearless and hatred brings a lot of pain.

Terminus I included the breachers because rule of cool, also to act as a tarpit, forming an anvil on mid to forward objectives with the pyros as a hammer.

Its absolutely not a WaaC force, just the models I want to have.

I keep looking at the venator, could definitely move points around to fit.

First off, WAAC implies cheating. I think you meant competitive. If so, this isn't an issue of competitive vs fluffy. It's 5000 points. I'm looking at my collection, and if I tried to make a 5000-point list and first took all the suboptimal or crap options, and then just started grabbing random stuff, it would still table you in a few turns.

Rule of cool, hoarder, modelling enthusiast, etc. whatever the reason, that's all well and good. Just be aware that this list is the equivalent of an Imperial Guard Platoon Command Squad with a plasmagun, heavy bolter, and a powersword and boltgun on the sgt.

So give him a suggestion as to how to improve it , just  kicking dirt in his face and offering no actual input besides " Your list is trash" wont fix the problem. 

I dont get the point of even bothering to go " yer list is bad " if you  dont offer atleast some alternative  if he was playing baseball and you saw him without a mitt you would tell him he needs a mitt right ?  You wouldnt just walk up and go  "lol  you friggin scrub yer never gona catch the ball "  

All that being said my experiments with breachers have led me to believe they are wildly expensive for a unit that  is pretty vulnerable but thats been covered.

Best of luck crafting yer list moving forward  

Carraigf - I can see why you want to plan big, so that you don't make purchases for a small army that won't work in a big one, but equally its hard to build a 5k list when you still aren't too sure how the units will work in a small game. 5K is particularly hard, because you could face multiple titans at that level, and you have nothing to really touch them. If you want to use this approach, I'd try and cap yourself at 3k.

Secondly - credit to you for your rule of cool approach. There are some great looking units out there, and if you are going to spend forgeworld prices, you better love the collecting, building, painting, and admiring as much as the gaming.

There will always be a point though, where you'll want some level of competitiveness in a unit. Breachers are one of those annoying units in the Heresy books that look awesome, but are about 50 points overpiced for their base cost. Now as you make a bigger unit they start to get a bit better value, but they are still overpriced. Still, if you want to roll them (and boy, do they look great) I think a unit of 20, with 4 melta guns, a thunder hammer sarg and a spartan will probably be cheeper than your 2 ten man squads. It will also probably be better. Especially with an apothecary in it too. NOTE: this is still not an optimal unit at all. But its is dead cool.

Your 5K list has lots of duplicates - 2 duplicate contemptors, 2 breacher squads, two sicarans etc. Where are you at points-wise if you strip it back to singles? How does the army feel then? Personally, I'd work from Callium's base 1.5k (?) list, maybe finding a way to swap one sicaran for a venator, from here you'll know better what works, then plan to expand. Nothing in it will be a duffer later on either.

I'm enjoying watching this develop though, so keep the ideas flowing sir. Excited to see what you settle on in the end.

So give him a suggestion as to how to improve it , just  kicking dirt in his face and offering no actual input besides " Your list is trash" wont fix the problem. 

I dont get the point of even bothering to go " yer list is bad " if you  dont offer atleast some alternative  if he was playing baseball and you saw him without a mitt you would tell him he needs a mitt right ?  You wouldnt just walk up and go  "lol  you friggin scrub yer never gona catch the ball "  

All that being said my experiments with breachers have led me to believe they are wildly expensive for a unit that  is pretty vulnerable but thats been covered.

Best of luck crafting yer list moving forward  

That's fair, but I mean we're talking 5000 points. It's also hard to know where to begin when every unit choice is configured the least optimal way possible, and then taken twice. Where do you start but with 'everything'? Kor'Vesh expressed my exact sentiment far more soundly and diplomatically (must be that Salamander gravitas).

Archived