Mechanist's Black Legion and Allies

Mechanist

I've been collecting black legion since white dwarf 200 when the second ed codex came out, however untill last years I've never been that happy with my painting of them.

Now it's been slow since I've been working on other things but I've just finished my hellbrute and think it's a good time to share my progress so far.

Starting with the hellbrute himself.

med_gallery_88567_11401_129993.png

med_gallery_88567_11401_177751.png

med_gallery_88567_11401_426247.png

med_gallery_88567_11401_780176.png

med_gallery_88567_11401_162025.png

And here's a group shot of him and the finished Chaos Marines. Not much so far but off to a good start, next to add to them I hope will be 4 more marines and a rhino.

med_gallery_88567_11401_562775.png

I'll be writing a little background piece for the Hellbrute and once that's done I'll Dig out the full pics of the Unit along with their respective fluff.

• 2 weeks later...

Yuk: the flesh on the Hellbrute is sick -- keep in up smile.png

Cheers

I

I`m not really a helbrute fan. But I think the former poster was right about the flesh. With all that raw, bloody pieces, he looks like he really has good reason to scream that much. biggrin.png

Thank you both, I'm Properly happy with it and eager to do more. Must get more progress on my Knight though first.

However In the last post I had the Hellbrute alongside the first finished Black Legionaries and promised some fluff and more detailed pictures of the unit.

The Heart Rippers
Based on a pre heresy formation the Heart rippers are a Seeker Squad carrying out rapid strikes with bolter and plasma gun to eliminate enemy leaders or important targets.
med_gallery_88567_11401_9162.jpg

Brother Champion Bel Zaidu

med_gallery_88567_11401_47090.jpg
Formally a Word Bearer of the Foresworn Bel Zaidu was hated by many of the legion as his recruitment was post heresy. Disenchanted with his legion's infighting, the final straw came with the loss at the battle of eagles gate. Joining up with the black legion during the withdrawal he and two surviving squad members defected to the forces of the Despoiler.
A Zealot follower of the chaos gods he leads the Heart Rippers in their role bringing death to the followers of the Corpse God.
The Blessed One
med_gallery_88567_11401_8811.jpg
Born in the womb of Warsmith Honsu's Daemonculaba The Blessed One was one of many Iron warriors in the Warsmith's force.
Assigned to duties off world in the failed assault on Calth, The blessed one along with a few other Iron warriors retreated to the Maelstrom.
Not long after the small band made their way towards the eye of terror to reunite with the Iron warriors, however they encountered the black legion first and when ordered to submit to the Warmaster's will the leading warrior refused to bend his knee.
Moments later his head vanished in the glare of plasma fire, his body along with his second in command crashing to the ground, as the smoke cleared the new born astartes having placed his plasma gun down was kneeling, head bowed in respect.
Recognising the daemonic aura surrounding the Iron warrior Bel Zaidu stood forward claiming him and naming him The Blessed One in honor of the gods touch upon him.
With his daemonic birth The Blessed one is gifted with remarkable healing properties making him the most suitable for carrying the squads Plasma Gun Heart Burner who's somewhat volatile machine spirit has caused the death of a number of former owners.
Zikar-Sin
med_gallery_88567_11401_55578.jpg
It is said that Zikar-Sin is totally blind and tastes the air to find his prey, though they say a lot of things about Zikar who is never seen without his armour on. Like Bel Zaidu he was a Word Bearer of the Foresworn joining the Black Legion at the same time he has served as Bal Zaidu's second ever since.
A gifted marksman the rumours of his blindness are likely untrue, though his only obvious gift clearly grants him heightened sensations, tasting the air of battle his shivers of pleasure and ecstatic cries clearly mark him out as a follower of the dark prince.
Escalus Kolas
med_gallery_88567_11401_63932.jpg
Born on an unforgiving and brutal hive world he joined a gang at a young and before being arrested and shipped off to a penal world. Life as a prisoner suited the young psychopath so when the black legion attack came month later he was at the front of the revolt, killing and slaying the guards and Imperial staff. Shipped back to his homeworld in the hold of of a legion slave ship he and thousands of former prisoners were released upon the planets populous.
As one of only a few survivors and of an appropriate age he recruited into the Black Legion through it's usual brutal and Treacherous methods. Surviving against the odds Escalus is now a fully fledged legionary fighting the long war against those so willing to lock him up and forget about him.
Shabriri
med_gallery_88567_11401_30243.jpg
Shabriri was recruited by the black legion at the same time as Escalus a gang member that rose up in rebellion when the Legion arrived surviving the bloodshed. As a killer on his home world his MO was to stab his victims eyes out, during the rebellion his tastes escalated once he managed to 'acquire' an old autogun. His skill at arms became apparent as a sniper during the invasion, since becoming a marine Shabriri likes nothing better than a well placed bolt shell through the eye socket as it explodes against the back of the skull.
Tes’Hazzar
med_gallery_88567_11401_21707.jpg
The third and final former Word Bearer, his name literally translates as Keeper of Secrets, Tes'Hazzar's duty is to record the units target before battle and locate it before they strike. Many claim that the stone in his helmet is that of an eldar farseer with grants him visions of the future aiding the unit in locating their next victim.
He also recorded Bel Zaidu's sermons, the units deeds and research into the realm of chaos.
So that's the current members of the Heart Rippers.
I've also written up a piece for the Hellbrute designated Horkos of the Mortis Juramentus.
In the ranks of the Black Legion no fate is considered worse than that of the Mortis Juramentus, those that have failed the despoiler above and beyond that of the Oath Broken, champions and lords who are held responsible for the failures of their missions will find their surviving men condemned to the oath broken, but the fate of the leader is far darker, dragged off the the chambers of the Dark Mechanicum where the sickly wet sarcophagus of a hellbrute awaits.
Such is the ire reserved by the Despoiler for these unfortunates their fate transcends death itself, Dark magics and daemonic pacts are woven into the shell of these Hellbrutes, reserved specially for the biggest failures who's very soul is captured by the machine and bound within.
Such is the nature of the binding that only total annihilation ends the torture of the one trapped within, black rituals performed on the smallest fragment of a hellbrute drags the soul screaming back into reality to be placed once more into the shell of a new machine. Growing from the one fragment, broken and raving the body of the trapped victim is once more trapped within the shell of his unholy prison.
All records of the former champion are expunged and their names are forbidden, with the mutation and disfigurement brought on by their transformation no one could identify the pilot even if they wanted to, and anyone attempting to risks the same fate. Each hellbrute is given a new designation taken from myth and legend.
The Hellbrute designated Horkos is rumoured to hold the body of a former lord of Khorn. Whispers of his downfall talk of a forgotten crusade of blood, ending with a failed siege when infighting tore his forces apart. A failure to control his own forces lead to a fighting retreat as forces of the corpse emperor arrived to reinforce the defenders.

I really like these guys!

Thanks, I'm glad to have finally sorted out out a look I'm happy with. 

So how are you painting your black if that isn't a daft question. It looks very matt.

Cheers

I used a custom dark grey by mixing Abaddon Black and Mechanicus Standard Grey and a glaze made from Daler Rowney Black acrylic ink, water and little washing up liquid. then use the following stages.

Step 1. 

Using dry brushing paint all the silver areas with 3 stages (leadbelcher to runfang steel)

Step 2.

Paint all the armour black.

Step 3.

Stipple on the new dark grey working from the edge of armour plates in leaving enough black to have nice dark recesses. 

Step 4. 

Stipple on Mechanicus Standard Grey in smaller areas than the last layer.

Step 5.

3 stage paint the gold (Balthasar Gold to Auric Armour Gold)

Step 6. 

Glaze the armour plates

Step 7.

Paint all the read with Mephiston Red.

Step 8.

Wash everything with Nuln Oil.

Step 9.

Highlight the red to a vibrant orange before a final red wash to help blend and keep it from being too bright.

Full post on my blog here enjoy.

Archived