Would THIS concept of HH releases make sense to you?

When the HH series started a few years ago, most people were blown away by the first books. It was a not too fast paced story with a straight timeline and everything. And everybody was happy and thought that this would be a fine series. Then it got blurred more and more and absolutely unneccessary side-plots were established, just to milk the cow a lot more. From a business perspective, i can totally relate to this. More books_more profit. Simple.

But now I will share my vision about it could have been done in a more "fan-friendly" way, though i know, that this is just completely utopian dreaming.

They should have kept the "main plot" of the Heresy with its main characters (Emperor, Horus, Primarchs) in on series that could have fitted in maybe 15 - 20 titles. Also, they could have published one title of this epos each year. You know, hardcover, special edition, boxes, bla,bla,bla..... dry.png

And beside that main storyline, they could have established another series that takes a closer look at the side-events and happenings that are not vital or even essential for the main plot. There, they could have dumped all the "not too good" authors or stories. And they would still have been bought, or not? msn-wink.gif

That way, you would have a yearly highlight of an realease, with plenty of time to be created by the top authors like Abnett, McNeill..... and one series for the hardcore cracks that want to dive deeper into the matter. The way it is right now, is scary to potential new readers and noobs. It is too confusing for them.

Does this make sense to anyone or have I finally crossed the fine line between reasonable thoughts and insanity because I thought of GW, being a customer orientated company? blink.png

Then it got blurred more and more and absolutely unneccessary side-plots were established, just to milk the cow

that's maybe your oppinion, but i like all the side-plots - but i also liked the wheel of time and song of ice and fire ...

Personally, writing quality per book aside, I don't see the proliferation of story offshoots as a bad thing. The biggest draw in the setting to me is the expansion of the lore, so having a branch of titles dealing with Calth, the 500 Worlds and Guilliman or the Raven Guard and their legacy or the Garro storyline is more than fine by me.

I think that having a main series with one release a year doesn't utilise Black Library's stable of writers to the greatest effect, in fact I think the current trend towards short stories (limited or otherwise) is purely down to scheduling. Several of the authors demonstrably have a lot on their plates (Abnett writes for other franchises and other projects, A D-B has The Inquisitor movie script to deal with and a web comic done in conjunction with David Sondered) and so can't be expected to keep laying out block busting 'main' stories for HH. Now, while a reduced quota seems like a good idea, it'll leave fans with periods where they'll have nothing in the series to read that is new.  

What BL needed was a solid timeline for the HH. Instead of the trickle of new material we are currently experiencing, how about this instead: a biannual novel furthering the main storyline with a LE novella and an anthology collecting the various eshorts rounding out a regular schedule. In a perfect world the LE and shorts should tie in to the latest novels, possibly providing an in depth look at an event or character glossed over earlier. Just my two cents...

It is a galactic civil war that lasts for 7 years though it did not end right away there. 

Calth and Istvaan deserve more coverage because they involve so many viewpoints. The same could be said for Shadow Crusade and Thramas Crusade. 
While Alpha Legion is present in so many stories, they tend to be side caricatures unless Graham and Rob and Chris would expand them more.

Death Guard from Mortarion is desperately needed.

Personally, writing quality per book aside, I don't see the proliferation of story offshoots as a bad thing. The biggest draw in the setting to me is the expansion of the lore, so having a branch of titles dealing with Calth, the 500 Worlds and Guilliman or the Raven Guard and their legacy or the Garro storyline is more than fine by me.

I think that having a main series with one release a year doesn't utilise Black Library's stable of writers to the greatest effect, in fact I think the current trend towards short stories (limited or otherwise) is purely down to scheduling. Several of the authors demonstrably have a lot on their plates (Abnett writes for other franchises and other projects, A D-B has The Inquisitor movie script to deal with and a web comic done in conjunction with David Sondered) and so can't be expected to keep laying out block busting 'main' stories for HH. Now, while a reduced quota seems like a good idea, it'll leave fans with periods where they'll have nothing in the series to read that is new.

Okay, as long as releases add something to the plot or the fluff itself, it is completely fine. And like you said, in the end it`s a matter of taste and even that aside, true lorekeepers will read it anyway. But I bet we can agree, that some of the HH releases don`t add much (if not nothing) to anything. In my opinion, "Nemesis" may be a good read, but what did we learn, what we didn`t know? Why do someone have to read it to get a better understanding of the Heresy and what does it add to the plot at all? Andwe know there are more examples like that, that only get published to sell more books and stuff, but not add anything new.

And like I said, I don`t want them to publish less or that they should engage a tighter quality control. The more I have to read,the better. I`m just saying, that the structure it once got, is now completely derailed and it gets harder and harder for noobs to get into it. They could (should) still expand it with as many sideplots as they wish. But that should be declared as a sideplot and not described as a new "essential revealing" and a "must read essential part of the HH".

The more they will stretch the whole series, the lesser people will get excited when a new release is announced. For me, in the first time it was like:"Yeah, I`ll get that new book on release day or even pre-order it, I can`t wait, because it is so profound". Now it`s more like:"New release? Hmmm, I hope it`s no next `Descent of Angels`, or another short story with an 400 page intro that shows us the perspective of an outsider, before something interesting happens, like `Legion`, or `Prospero Burns`".

Yeah. I prefer the extra fluff. But I'm a fluff bunny... so I'm more than a bit biased here

I like to read everything about it too. I`m just not entirely sure, if every living being in the galaxy during the HH really deserves its own novel of 500 pages. Or an audiobook. I think I would read it anyway, even if it were the memoires of the janitor of the Phalanx that tells us, how hard it is to clean the astartes toilets all day and what kind of air refreshener he uses.

huh.png Hmmmm....now that I think about it, I guess that would really be a fun read to me. I hereby claim the rights on this story! Ha, I`ll get rich and famous with that one! Finally!

Next stop: Monaco!biggrin.png

In my opinion, "Nemesis" may be a good read, but what did we learn, what we didn`t know? Why do someone have to read it to get a better understanding of the Heresy and what does it add to the plot at all? 

- it was the first novel featuring Assassins, and it had them as main characters

- it shows the organization of the Assassins during 30k

- it shows that Malcador would do even "non-honourable" things to end this war

- it adds to Malcadors character

- the plot continues in a short story and probably isn't finished yet

In my opinion, "Nemesis" may be a good read, but what did we learn, what we didn`t know? Why do someone have to read it to get a better understanding of the Heresy and what does it add to the plot at all? 

- it was the first novel featuring Assassins, and it had them as main characters

- it shows the organization of the Assassins during 30k

- it shows that Malcador would do even "non-honourable" things to end this war

- it adds to Malcadors character

- the plot continues in a short story and probably isn't finished yet

First let me say, that hese are good points.

Here`s what I have to say about them:

-Assassins were playing roles (even as main characters) in  novels before. Think of Meh-Lindi (Callidus from the Draco series). And there was a lot of fluff to find about them in their own codex and the WD issues when they were released. But you`re right, in such an amount and as being an "Assassins only" novel , Nemesis was the first one

-The organization of the Officio Assaninarium is basically the same as it is for the next 10k years, so there was no need to point it out in my opinion

-to show, that Malcador would do even "non honourable" things to end the war could have been done in 3 lines or a short story too, if it really would be so important to even release a full novel about it. I imagine him saying" Hereby I give order to send out a lot of assassins, though I know it`s not honourable at all but we have to...bla...times are hard....bla....enemy isn`t honourable too.......blablabla.....". Then, some pages later, a servant comes in and says:"Lord, the assassins you sent, remeber? They failed."

-what exactly did it add to Malcs character? His doubts? His will to use this tools? To be honest: Every commander in his situation, that would say:"Sorry, but that`s a dirty tactic, so I will rather risk the fate of the galaxy than using it to win" is a fool. Making that a conflict or a difficult decision is nothing but producing a conflict and emotions where should be none.

-the thing with the possible continuing of the plot is something I have hope for too.

Like I said, I enjoed the read, but it was adding nothing really new to the story itself to me.

Actually this is a weird topic to me. Does anyone have an actual timeline of the books and where they all fit in and in what order they should be read?

Also, I really really wish they'd touch more on some of the great crusade. I really liked reading about the camaraderie that some of these legions had established.

Actually this is a weird topic to me. Does anyone have an actual timeline of the books and where they all fit in and in what order they should be read?

Also, I really really wish they'd touch more on some of the great crusade. I really liked reading about the camaraderie that some of these legions had established.

There has been a thread about the "read-order".

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/278221-black-library-heresy-read-order-list/

Glad to help you. Also, yes, the Crusade would be a great series too. Just liek the unification wars, maybe some stories from the dark age of technology and a lot of happenings between 30k and 40k. hopefully GW will cover some of them in the future. There`s so unbelievable much lore that deserves a novel or even a series, that it blows my mind when I think about it...

Greetz!happy.png

Archived