Death Guard "Aechops" WiP

Father Mehman

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while, fellow hobbyists of the Age of Darkness. I hope everyone's been digging their Holidays. Blessed Solstice to those few who know what I mean msn-wink.gif.

Well, what's new? I've been making some headway on a ten-man Legion Veteran Squad thanks to a visit with the in-laws. More models got built this year during our trip than last so that must be saying something good. If you've been following the Casual Hobby Challenge for this month then you've probably seen my vow for building and painting five Cataphractii Terminators for the Traitorous cause. Yeah, they went Traitor. After much thought, it was the only choice that made any sense. I'll spin some fluff sometime to explain the ultimate decision.

Anyway, those five Cataphractii Terminators have been built but I'm afraid they won't all see paint by the 31st sad.png. I out-vowed myself this time around but there's always next month for the remaining four. Wait, four? Yep- I brought presents for you all happy.png!

The following pictures are of the Sergeant from the 1st Terminator Squad in Aechops. As per usual, allow me to explain. I've primed him Skull White (along with the rest of my army) and then went from there. He has been a big learning experience. I now know the order in which to paint the rest of my force. Instead of Line Washing and then adding the scour marks first, the shoulder pads and Chapter Symbol need to be painted at the start followed by the scouring (teehee!) and then the Line Washing.

Both pictures show his sword pretty well except my photography skills are still sub-par. A thought occurred to me that his sword should be different. I don't know why. Maybe it's time for me to step out of my comfort zone and experiment a little? Who knows? Anywho, back when White Dwarf used to include more on the hobby other than pushing whatever is new, there was an article on painting metallics. In this issue, they covered such things as gold, bronze, brass, and steel / silver. My mind brought back that lesson and I then implemented it on this sword.

What I did was mix Abaddon Black and Leadbelcher (1:1) and used it for the basecoat. I then used straight Leadbelcher on the edges and runnels for a highlight. It looks really nice to me. Of course, there is still a wash mixture I've fiddled with that has been named Old Metal Wash to go on all the metallics before the two oil washes are applied. What the wash consists of is a mixture of Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade (1:3). Simple as that.

Ok, enough talking. Here we go!

gallery_83709_11472_32352.jpg

Terminator Sergeant Mirech Bafad, Terminator Squad Neron [WiP]

gallery_83709_11472_24771.jpg

(Side View)

Cheers smile.png!

• 9 months later...

Alright, so, it's been a while. Where have I been, you ask? Well, that involves a long story. Suffice to say I've been thinking of my beloved Legionnaires in grimy white for some time now and it's time to get back to them. I have a couple of things to touch on today so be patient.

Right then, let's talk about white primer. The other day, I ruined another Sergeant using Skull White spray furious.gif. This makes two Death Guard killed by an aerosol assassin. Because of this, I won't be using my reserves of the spray I've carefully hoarded away and I won't chance the rest of my Legionnaires to the new Corax White, either. The risk is too great to chance to an over-priced rattle can. So, with this in mind, I've switched to using an actual primer as Games Workshop doesn't offer one - Imperial Primer is suspect in my book and it's black so is of no use to this project anyway. Since I'm not that mobile these days and my wife was sick, my mother and sister offered to get a can of primer while they were about town. I tell them exactly what I wanted after looking online and they brought me something else. It was the same brand, though, so they did alright.

What I'm using now is Krylon Colour Maxx White Primer (I detest the extra "x" in the name but oh well). After a test spray to make sure the humidity was correct, and after reading the directions, I set about my business and almost ruined another model mellow.png. Thankfully, this was my fault and I found that you have to spray this primer at arm's length so as not to clog the detail. Now, ladies and gentlemen, I have a new primer!

With that business out of the way, I'd like to share with everyone my new 1,500 Point List. Yeah, it's a bit light on points but I don't play anyway so whatever. In saying that, my armies are based around lists I've built incase something miraculous happens and I can play again. Until then, small Kill Team games are my only possibility at 30k unless I play solo. Ah, the joy of solo play. I just love it wub.png. Anyway, here's the list:

Strike Force Tafrac

1500 Point List

HQ

Legion Centurion - Chaplain

- Artificer Armour

- Refractor Field

- Crozius Arcanum

- Volkite Serpenta

Troops

Tactical Squad [20]

- Sergeant

+ Artificer Armour

+ Power Sword

+ Plasma Pistol

+ Melta Bombs

- Combat Blades [20]

- Legion Vexilla

Breacher Squad [10]

- Sergeant

+ Artificer Armour

+ Thunder Hammer

+ Melta Bombs

- Flamer [2]

+Chem-munitions

- Legion Vexilla

Dedicated Transports

Rhino

- Dozer Blade

- Auxiliary Drive

- Heavy Bolter

Elites

Apothecarion Detachment

Apothecary

- Power Sword

- Augury Scanner

Apothecary

- Augury Scanner

Cataphractii Terminator Squad [5]

- Sergeant

+ Power Sword

+ Grenade Harness

- Power Fist [2]

- Chainfist [2]

- Heavy Flamer

+ Chem-munitions

Veteran Squad [10]

- Sergeant

+ Artificer Armour

+ Power Fist

+ Plasma Pistol

+ Melta Bombs

- Flamer

+ Chem-munitions

- Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web

- Legion Vexilla

Heavy Support

Heavy Support Squad [5]

- Sergeant

+ Augury Scanner

- Autocannon [5]

That gets me exactly on target points-wise. I would like to try it out against another person, and maybe I will one day, but for now I'll settle on just building and painting everything. The Breacher Squad was ordered today from Forge World - with a set of Mk III Power Weapons, too - so that leaves the Rhino, a Pintle-mounted Weapon set, and the Apothecary duo until that list above is complete. Then it'll be time for Dreadnoughts biggrin.png!

Well, I guess that's it. Next update I should have some pictures of how Aechops is getting along. I need to remember to switch the weapons on the Chaplain before that, though...

Cheers smile.png!

I am glad that you have got this log back up again. I have been a keen lurker watching your progress, great stuff so far, although sad to hear about the paint casualties, hopefully you can rescue them with a dettol bath though? 

Also have you come up with anymore fluff for your army? and their traitorus ways? 

+1 too for using brush on Gesso for priming, that is what I use on my rare painting forays.

Thanks for the gesso idea, gents. I may look into that as I'm not sure I'm very happy with my primer but I really haven't started painting so I can't say yet. And, yes, the two casualties can be saved. It's just a pain that they have to be saved in the first place but I've made my peace with that. Hopefully.

I have come up with some more fluff but it's still in its infancy right now as notes that are sprawled over my computer monitor. I should have something presentable by tomorrow. There is this to be said: there's are reasons why their face plates are bronze and their shoulder pad opposite the Legion's symbol is black. Not only does it look cool, there's a purpose msn-wink.gif!

Here's where I'm at now in painting up a Mk IV Legionnaire. I tested my idea of undercoating certain areas black on the model so that I could get darker metals and a better green but I've scrapped that idea as of now. It's just too much work for not enough gain. After three thinned coats of Castellan Green, it really looks the same as if it had a black undercoat. That's a few painting sessions wasted but at least I know the results. Anyway, here are some pictures of my WiP Mk IV test piece:

gallery_83709_11472_28933.jpg

gallery_83709_11472_3186.jpg

Anyway, that's it for today. I plan on having some fluffy goodness put up tomorrow so stay tuned for more Tales of the Aechops happy.png!

Cheers smile.png!

So, update time. I told everyone I'd have some fluff up about Aechops Company a few days ago but, honestly, nothing was coming to me. It's almost been a full year since Betrayal at Calth came out and I'm just now coming around to paint the four Legionnaires that haven't been ruined. Sure, I have a little work done on the Cataphractii Terminators and a few of the officers but, other than those two groups, there has been little done in the way of progress paint-wise and even less fluff-wise. I've been collecting Death Guard for a few years now and have very little to show for it and it makes me a little sad sad.png.

Anyway, this post is about backstory, not my lack of progress in this endeavour. After thinking about it for a few days, Mortarion came to my mind for some reason. Other than being the Gene Sire for the Company, what role does he play in their day-to-day duties? Not much really came out of that line of thought until I remembered Chris Wraight's short story Daemonology. I won't ruin it for anyone, so don't worry if you haven't read it, but I believe it shows what depths a man will plunge into whilst he is in the throws of paranoia - whether justified or not. Aechops, I decided, would be based on his anxiety and fear.

Before I go any further, I would like you, my dear readers, to tell me if the following idea / backstory bit sounds too "Mary Sue". There is nothing special about Aechops other than what is unique about them and I never want it said that they are "larger than life" - they don't always do the right thing, mistakes have consequences, Legionnaires die like any other Death guard, their officers don't always show or behave like they stereotypically should, etc. What I'm trying to tell you is that they aren't the best of the best. At most they're normal for pre-Heresy era Death Guard Space Marines.

Alright, here's my idea for Aechops Company: They are the blade by which countless Warp witches and horrors have been sacrificed in their Primarch's name. They do this by utilizing the same occult and arcane secrets Mortarion uses to ward himself from the Dark Powers. As a whole, the Company is sent against horrible odds and the threat of damnation to further their mission of destroying things that don't exist in any official state record.

Their name was earned as they ripped the throat from a Daemonic incursion on a nameless world for every Legionnaire willed that their foe to be sent back to whatever underworld spawned them. Hell listened, obeyed, and opened its jaws wide to feed on the empty souls of the Daemon slain in that battle. Thus sated, the rift in the material realm was forced closed leaving only the foul stink of ozone, dead Legionnaires, and the trailing sound of laughter behind as a memento mori for those still living. From that battle forward, the Death Guard 6th Great Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Company was known as "Aechops" for they held sway over Hell itself.

No more would they appear as other Death Guard. Each Legionnaire was given a bronze face mask and their pauldron not bearing the Legion's symbol was painted black. This item and colouration were both symbols in themselves and not just a mark of recognition. The face mask was seen as a death mask to each man not only because it outwardly showed their first foray into more esoteric and occult leanings but because, like ancient Terran belief before them, it was said to protect their souls from damnation after they died. The black pauldron was to symbolize their role as protectors against Old Night but held the deeper meaning of their specialty: to kill the witch and those that would treat with them.

Again, I hope that all doesn't make them too out of the ordinary or like unstoppable behemoths. I have thoughts about pre-Isstvan III times and why they weren't there to decimate themselves. They take a peculiar path to Terra, as it were.

Cheers smile.png!

Archived