Guard formations in Mont'ka confirmed

HenricusTyranicus

We're getting at least one new formation in Mont'ka.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/Emperor%E2%80%99s-Shield-Infantry-Platoon

While I'm sure more will be said at the rumors forum, I'd like to keep a thread open where we can easily find tactics and meat on the new formations, not just the endless reaction posts one finds in the rumor forums :P

Reminds me of the olden days when you could attach a Sentinel to a Platoon... I wonder if its a sign of things to come? Either way nice to get something though we don't know what it does. Perhaps the ability to move and fire or run after firing or something similar? I don't have time to check but I'm assuming there's a saving to be made buying this bundle?

Same price as buying everything individually isnt it?

​The question is what rules do we get to make that formation worth it???
​Frigging genious loadout on the Sentinels too, an Autocannon, Lascannon and Missile Pod walks into a bar... HWTs are equally bad.

I'm pretty sure the formation will require the models shown, but not the loadouts. Although I am really hoping I can get away with one sentinel instead of three. 

My personal guess as to what the formation does is that it allows the commander to order everyone at once instead of squad by squad. The name "Emperors Shield" also makes me think there will be some durability boost. 

Am I Crazy, or did sentinels not always cost $59? Seems kind of steep when the defense force boxes are about a quarter of that price.

If they did jack the price, perhaps it's getting a buff soon?

$59 sounds high to me too

They are on ebay and amazon for about $27...

So the guard make an appearance in Mont'ka...interesting.  At first I thought they just ported the formation over from APOC, but that was an emperor's shield infantry company, this is a platoon with a completely different makeup.  I wonder what the benefit will be...I have the models to field a couple of these, the question is whether the rules will be sexy enough to lure me away from my current 'mechanized autocannon forward sentries' setup.

I wonder what the chances are of this being a whole mega formation for IG, similar to what WS and RG got in the last book?

That seems to be the only way they do formations these days. Also, remember we've got a new tank commander and techpriest. Those'll surely be part of formations too.

I'm dreading this...the core requirement will surely be two platoons and a CCS.  I have the models, no problem there, I even have more chimeras than I'd need to mech them up, but the bonuses would have to be pretty substantial for me to stop running mechanized vets...

On the other hand, since the other formations within the Uber-formation will be fair game to run in their own, so pairing them with a CAD consisting of Pasquisher and some mech vets will be no problem...although, if there's a place for Pasquisher within one of those formations (likely, since tanks are a thing for us), a mechanized CCS could also be attractive...either to give 2x forward sentries "get back in the fight" (boosting them to 2+ cover in ruins, since they'll be able to go to ground and still shoot at BS4), or as a 4x BS4 plasma gun kill team.

Only three of the squads can take them, though. I imagine it'll be more about sharing the Orders between squads, or allowing them to fire as one unit. We'll see, it's an easily-fielded Formation, at least. I wonder if the numbers in the image are a minimum, and the Infantry Squads are 2+, for example.

I'd imagine so, it wouldn't be a surprise if it was just a Platoon with a Sentinel squadron stuck on. The question will be what rules we get, hopefully good ones because as mentioned this is a formation almost every Guard player should have no problem fielding!

Maybe free Chimeras for squads in the formation? (Wishful thinking...)

Free 35 point transports for a formation requiring 10 units of MEQs is one thing...free 65 point transports for squads that cost less than the free transport when you only need three squads to have a legal platoon...doubtful!!!  "I know chimeras are supposed to be 65 points each, but I'm taking three superscoring ones for 140 (assuming I correctly remember the cost of a PCS)...oh, and 25 free infantry in the bargain!"

I imagine it'll be more about sharing the Orders between squads, or allowing them to fire as one unit.

Ermm...but blobbing up is already a thing.  The utility of sharing orders while firing at separate targets isn't infinitely more than what you can already get by blobbing up to share an order, and the same goes with firing as one unit, you already get that without the formation.  This kind of thing is a really  big deal for tau because they can't blob up...since we can, it would be really pyss poor for GW to cut and paste between codexes in this instance, the value to us is dramatically less.

/edit/  Also: "fire at my target!  You guys fire at that 'my target,' you guys over there fire at that one, and the rest of you lot shoot at the one I'm actually shooting at.  Who's confused?"

Perhaps a unique set of orders for within the formation?

Or like they have done a lot, some usr applies to the infantry when within x distance from a sentinel, or at a unit within x distance of a sentinel... Or declared a target by sentinels... Stuff like that..

Archived