Guard formations in Mont'ka confirmed

HenricusTyranicus

"Attacked from all sides"

Astra Militarum units in reserve enter from either long table edge. The Astra militarum player can choose which for each unit. 

Yes!

The rule "Battlelord" Specifically refers to the Obsidian knight

"Units from an Assault Company have the preferred enemy special rule against units within 6" of an objective."

At the price of being allies of convenience, you can have an Astra militarum army and AdMech army allied but with 2 warlords. 

New option for Sentinels in a formation to designate one as a Command sentinel, with 3 orders: Take Aim, Forwards for the Emperor, or Move, Move, Move. 

White scars and Raven guard can pull the same 2 army trick, but without the allies of convenience penalty. 

At the start of your first turn, pick a unit in the enemy army. All models in this Recon company have the preferred enemy rule against that unit for the rest of the game. 

Formation granting Enginseers +2 to repair rolls.

Devastating Bombardment:

If an enemy is hit by 3 or more primary weapons from this formation, it must take a morale check on 4d6 unless it has gone to ground. Meh. 

Elite armoured formation:

The Astra Militarum player can roll once on the tank aces table and apply the result to an Astra Militarum vehicle. No Pask, can roll twice and apply to both.

2 No effect

3 Armor pen rolls against this tank have -1 

4 d3 to ramming

5 extra 6 when moving flat out

6 Can move the tank anywhere in the deployment zone after all players deploy.

7 +1 to Ballistic skill

8 +d6 in movement phase, no shooting penalty

9 Stealth tanks. (Sly Marbo confirmed?)

10 one weapon on the tank can fire twice. 

11 Weapons more than 18 inches away must reroll succesful to hit this tank.

12 choose what you want.

Primaris Psykers within 12 of Wrydvane psykers know all their powers and add +1 to master level for every 5 within 12 inches. 

Commissar atached to Wrydanes makes them harness on 2+? What? Serious penalties for failure to manifest.

Some rule about Guardsmen shooting and acting as if they had stayed still. Seems like an order? Not sure. 

Formation granting +1 BS to tanks within 12 of the Tank Commander

Move through cover for infantry when within 9 of sentinels in one formation. 

AdMech and Astra Militarum can shoot at an allied unit once per game, at the cost of a victory point. Um....Thanks?

S7 hammer of wrath for Ogryns/Bullgryns when charging a unit that already has been charged by a unit of Ogryns/Bullgryns from the same formation.

Rules for Space fighting. Look very cool. Every attack has rending.

Formation allowing Company commander to issue 3 order per turn at 24 inches. 

Formation allowing grav chute insertion with no scatter, but no jinking for Vehicle on turn they do so.

Fire and advance is new order, for Platoon commanders, that does not count towards their order limit.

Formation allowing First rank fire second rank fire to be issued to all units in a company, using the highest leadership among all of them, one roll for order. All units ordered so must shoot at the same target.

Formation allowing reroll of ones to hit when firing lasguns or hotshots. 

Characters from Cadian detachments must issue challenges whenever possible, and reroll to hit and wound when doing so. (Side note, you know you're a Black Templar when you're happy at your guardsmen emulating your zeal.) (Other side note, they will all still die) (Third side note, this looks an awful lot like Regimental doctrines are a thing.) 

Formation granting bonuses to Tank shock and Ram. -1 to leadership test and plus 1 to S, respectively. 

Formation allowing Guard to not take Morale tests from shooting when within 12 of the warlord.

Fearless Ogryn/Bulgryn formation, when within 12 of Commissar.

That's all from the Glossary, folks.  

Rejoice, my fellow guardsmen.

HOLY COW!! Artillery command allows the Company commander to order tanks! He can order them to split fire, ignore cover, or gain pinning. Glory to the guard!

Left out one of the best ones. 

Primaris Psykers within 12 of Wrydvane psykers know all their powers and add +1 to master level for every 5 within 12 inches. 

Commissar atached to Wrydanes makes them harness on 2+? What? Serious penalties for failure to manifest.

This isn't as obvious as the tank aces, but is amazing none the less.  Take two level 2 psykers, 2 units of wyrdvanes, you now have 2 level 4 psykers knowing every power in their discipline and 2 level 1's that can manifest on 2's.  For under 300 points.

That's amazing.

This isn't as obvious as the tank aces, but is amazing none the less.  Take two level 2 psykers, 2 units of wyrdvanes, you now have 2 level 4 psykers knowing every power in their discipline and 2 level 1's that can manifest on 2's.  For under 300 points.

That's amazing.

Wyrdvanes don't get really fun powers. Also, the first person to do this to run a summoning train gets a punch in the throat.

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic, I like the expansion of orders for vehicles and the Sentinels, but the rest seem kind of meh. Jury is still out for me.

Yeah, but then you're taking Creed and 3 demolishers, so the battle is already lost.

Anyway, the artillery order formation is limited to *shock* artillery. I've been giving my artillery units ignore cover orders tor a while now. It's nice but not amazing, and I don't expect it to be any better with the same guns on a worse platform. Still, Manticore with ignore cover is a funny thought.

Also, cover is apparently useless in 40K now since it seems every army gets a dozen rules to ignore it.

Am I Crazy, or did sentinels not always cost $59? Seems kind of steep when the defense force boxes are about a quarter of that price.

If they did jack the price, perhaps it's getting a buff soon?

Check the top, it was in Australian Dollars. Sentinels cost $30US. I apologize if this has already been posted.

This looks interesting, it would be nice to attach sentinels to an infantry platoon. 

Yeah, but then you're taking Creed and 3 demolishers, so the battle is already lost.

Anyway, the artillery order formation is limited to *shock* artillery. I've been giving my artillery units ignore cover orders tor a while now. It's nice but not amazing, and I don't expect it to be any better with the same guns on a worse platform. Still, Manticore with ignore cover is a funny thought.

Also, cover is apparently useless in 40K now since it seems every army gets a dozen rules to ignore it.

Is it even possible for you to open your mouth without saying the person you're responding to is an imbecile?  I haven't seen any evidence of that...

For it to be limited to artillery would line up with how the thing is named...too bad.  I assume you're running forgeworld heavy artillery carriages?  Cover-ignoring earthshakers and medusas must be nice for busting bikes and skimmers, not to mention marines cowering in cover.

The tone here does leave something to be desired, let's have a good discussion please it's what the B&C is for.

While the formations are not amazing this does give me some (vain?) hope that our artillery will be restored to glory in the next update. When the Guard's biggest guns roar the enemy should know the meaning terror, yet the only pieces that see any real use are Wyverns. A good unit true but hardly our mightiest of guns - my beloved Bassies crave the table and it's hard to justify these days sad.png

Well, the Psyker Formation is something that has been sorely missed since the start of 7th, Prescience spam. For an ML2 Primaris, 3 naked Wyrdvane squads and 3 Commissars you pay 330 points if I am not mistaken, giving guaranteed re-rolls on 3 units with the Wyrdvane. This makes the army more reliable without having to resort to static elements like ammo dumps.

I also have the bad feeling that people will ally in this Formation for their army to get psychic superiority for quite a reasonable price.

But seriously, why did GW introduce the psychic phase? Just so that they can break it again? With all the conclaves going around, it feels like the old Ld test again. Way to go, morons...

I'm not going to to say the psykers formation is bad, but I think it may lack something compared to conclaves. Namely, wyrdvaynes can't join units, and lack the toughness to justify joining some hard core characters to them. Well, that and they can't ride bikes. I think there could be an especially fun/dramatic deny the witch role if the primaris was elevated by 15 nearby wyrdvayne. On a different note, what would justify the bullgryn formation over just using priests to get fearless? (Oh God, are they taking priests away? Nobody panic! I'm kidding, but not really. Priests are awesome for the points.)

I'm not going to to say the psykers formation is bad, but I think it may lack something compared to conclaves. Namely, wyrdvaynes can't join units, and lack the toughness to justify joining some hard core characters to them. Well, that and they can't ride bikes. I think there could be an especially fun/dramatic deny the witch role if the primaris was elevated by 15 nearby wyrdvayne. On a different note, what would justify the bullgryn formation over just using priests to get fearless? (Oh God, are they taking priests away? Nobody panic! I'm kidding, but not really. Priests are awesome for the points.)

That's why I'm a little afraid of a new codex drop. Priests and wyverns are good right now, and while most other new codexes got to keep their good things I can see guard getting shafted by seeing a nerf to them. :( 

Archived