HH Betrayal at Calth Alternate Units / Forces

paulJam

Thanks Truckin. The product is ok (excluding models) but could easily be played with proxies, plus rule book (most of which was on the rumours thread anyway).

I noticed on your recent 'new achievements for aef' thread there was a dark eldar mini game that wasnt worlds apart from BaC. Do you recall seeing many/any others like that before?

No I don't remember seeing anything like this.   The last mini game I remember used a standard deck of cards and it was a few years back.

The Symphony of Pain / DE mini game does look interesting and has the weapons stats listed but other than that I can't see the point of the mini game unless it's kill em all cage match.   I like the idea of quick and easy games like this.  Especially since my time/ space / gaming partners are very limited. 

If someone else has the White Dwarf ( i think it's WD34)  for the last DE release maybe they can throw out a quick summary of the game objective / movement rules etc.?

Posted · Hidden by Prot, December 11, 2015 - Questionable IP infringement?
Hidden by Prot, December 11, 2015 - Questionable IP infringement?

not sure what our policy is for putting links to other forums but these guys already did the leg work...

https://warosu.org/tg/thread/35086808

or i saved them here (just beware they are large pics)...

SoP1

SoP2

SoP3

SoP4

BaC__Cover

BaC_00-01

BaC_02-03

BaC_04-05

BaC_06-07

BaC_08-09

BaC_10-11

BaC_12-13

BaC_14-15

BaC_16-17

BaC_18-29

BaC_20-21

BaC_22-23

BaC_24-25

BaC_26-27

BaC_28-29

BaC_30-31

BaC_32-33

BaC_34-35

BaC_36-37

BaC_38-39

BaC_40-41

BaC_42-43

BaC_44-45

BaC_46-47

Cool :tu: are you planning on adding rhino's / land raiders as well? 

You got some props on  BGG where a similar discussion was started.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1480785/adapting-bac-other-races

just a heads up on the typo

Aeronautics - Armour 6 Stamina 6 *

Damage Effect: Dreadnought is removed as a casualty.

Cool thumbsup.gif are you planning on adding rhino's / land raiders as well?

i'd really like to though i only really started thinking about vehicles today. specifically objects on 60mm bases as they still fit on the board neatly.

i'm having difficulty picturing actual 'vehicle' vehicles working elegantly on the board. but am yet to try... so i'm going to go try now.

probably the 'damage card' system would still work ok.

as per other posts, ideas, changes and commentary more than welcome.

You got some props on BGG where a similar discussion was started.

interesting. i'll check it out. am hoping in advance for some stats to steal, but hope is the first step...

[edit... on the road to disappointment... well yes it is. case in point.

from BGG "...some nut will want to put a landraider in the mix and it will all explode..."

yeah, i guess i'd like to be that nut smile.png

much of the caution stated was towards balance and enjoyment of the base game's simplicity,which is definitely valid.

but i kind of see the system as more a 'narrative' game where you set up a possibly balanced scenario and just play, rather than compete.

i think anyone actually interested in competing would probably just nab the sprues and chuck the rest. it's a gateway game that also works well for lazy gamers.]

just a heads up on the typo

thanks mate.

i finished up that version in a bit of a flurry just before leaving [cough cough] work [cough cough]. i'm sure there are other hidden issues in there.

[Later edit] the vehicle parameters in the document are pretty much just placeholders at the moment. haven't given a great deal of thought to appropriate variance.

So played a quick game with a predator (as per pics) and it wasn't unmanagable. still contemplating the 'tank' effects, just put a couple in there as they seemed reasonable on the table.

also added a couple of eversors to the mix.

(CSM: helbrute, 10 tacs, 8 bloodletters vs SM: predator, 10 tacs, 2 eversor)

ok, hopefully the last major layout change. combined the units and unit effects.
so the unit table is now basically all the info that would be on a 'unit card' but listified.

have also added some guidelines for the vehicles/tanks. this is what i played when testing and it seems ok, but would love a second opinion.

test game

test game

thanks slicksamos.

re WhiteDwarf...
just plain old "daemons", not ever plaguebearers.... scheeesh!!
smile.png (oh, they do get a mention at least)

at least there is some movement in that department, here's hoping they continue with the WD update and scenarios in the future.

[edit: now with added land raiderness... boom and so it explodes]

[2nd edit: got a token game in with the new board... is don, is good.... pretty much as per mental picture so pretty happy. demons seems a bit underwhelming so as per scenario 7 added in some tentative respawn capabilities to their abilities plus boosted max unit size.]

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys - I actually would like to add a few more units to the game by myself (since writing the rules for them isn't hard) but now I'm thinking - how to get (atleast a bit of) balance? Do you guys have figured out a way to give the BaC units something like points yet? Any generic scenarios? Would like to play it with my partner, but not sure if it's worth to put work in it or just try low points ZM games ^.^

Edit:

Also yeah, imo the WD rules for the daemons are indeed underwhelming ... might need to write homebrew rules for them ... 

Hey Guys - I actually would like to add a few more units to the game by myself (since writing the rules for them isn't hard) but now I'm thinking - how to get (atleast a bit of) balance? Do you guys have figured out a way to give the BaC units something like points yet? Any generic scenarios? Would like to play it with my partner, but not sure if it's worth to put work in it or just try low points ZM games ^.^

Edit:

Also yeah, imo the WD rules for the daemons are indeed underwhelming ... might need to write homebrew rules for them ... 

i haven't bothered working out comparitive hit rolls vs armour or equivalent though it may probably be easier than regular 40k (less parameters).

in general play testing seems to be the main method used to determine unit size. though i have seen a few percentages thrown around.

there is also work on units being done (casually) here...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1480785/adapting-bac-other-races/page/1

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1515660/death-guard

i've read numerous times that bac seems to base its balance on unit and scenario rather than just unit composition, i.e. you can take sm with any loadout provided it's on the list (or as specified by scenarion conditions). so the ability to make 'balanced' list as per regular 40k doesn't seem to be a priority. perhaps the AoS concept of taking whatever you want for a freeform battle is the go.

interesting concept though.

have you had any ideas about attribute weighting so far (points per armor, points per weapon type etc) ?

BTW the homebrew list back on post... 23 has been through a number of substantial changes since my last post on this thread.

so the ability to make 'balanced' list as per regular 40k doesn't seem to be a priority. perhaps the AoS concept of taking whatever you want for a freeform battle is the go.

don't get me wrong, i don't really care for 100% balance, but on the other side, i want to play this with my partner (and use it as an intro game) and don't want to have too big gaps between two forces ^^

we actually tried this with Salamanders (Pyroclasts) and Death Guard (Grave Wardens) the other day, and holy moly flamers are deadly xD 

• 2 weeks later...

I like the use of blips for genestealers. Cant wait to play test this

Im still not sure i see the mechanics of it except with a smaller board or lots of terrain. Yet to play test though so only speculation.

In the middle of a hobby hiatus now...trying to buy a home and baby on way.

Good luck mate. May your house be sturdy and last you a lifetime... and same for the kid.

Archived