News about Horus Heresy books, from Convention Secundus

HaSY

Last weekend, there was a fan-organised event as sort of replacement to Black Library Weekender:

Convention Secundus

http://conventionsecundus.info/itinerary/

The reason for such drought in the HH line is due to Betrayal of Calth that they want to build up for it but that did not turn out. But, the authors have been working and there would be huge influx. In Laurie Goulding's own words, "Be careful what you wish for."

From there, the authors said Pharos and Angels of Caliban will end the arc of Imperium Secundus and we will be back towards Terra. There will be a new arc known as Gauntlet that will lead to the end of Terra.

From Gav Thorpe

Angels of Caliban

- incorporating from what was going to be dreadwing. Waiting for the return of draft for rewrites
- Continues the story on Caliban and Imperium Secundus as well as Lion hunting Curze.

Follow up to Corax in HH

Non-HH
Age of Sigmar novel - "War Beast" finished - Storm cast eternal vs Chaos & Skaven

Writing Book 8 of the Beast Rises

Thanks HaSY!

Angels of Caliban sounds like it could be good, but I hope they don't try to cram in too much into too small a book: Caliban, Imperium Secundus and the hunt for Curze all deserve relatively long story lines (especially Caliban), and a short novel won't fit everything that needs to be said... That said, happy the First are getting a new book at last smile.png

On the other hand, from that description, it sounds like they're jumping straight from Imperium Secundus to pretty much Terra. I know we're all waiting for The Siege, but I think it would have been nice to see some separate, stand alone books focusing on the legions that have had very little love yet (Death Guard jump to mind), and/or perhaps another short story arc for other parts in the Imperium...

Is that a list of what Gav is working on at the moment, or what he knows is in progress from around Black Library as a whole?

If it's the former then I'm worried about the direction of the Dark Angels. They've always had a patchy run in the HH series, but they've been getting steadily better the last few times they've been featured - but I can't see Gav continuing that trend, in fact I can see it going backwards. His work on the Raven Guard and Corax during the Heresy hasn't exactly been strong, and having picked up the 'Lords of Caliban' short story set he wrote for 40k I was tremendously disappointed in that too (to the point where I had to stop reading it, I actually don't want to read any more). 

Also it seems weird that book 8 of The Beast is still being written. I thought A-D-B confirmed that he was given the choice of doing Beast or Betrayer for HH, and he chose the latter. I was under the impression that Beast had been completed for a little while, and was being sat on for an appropriate schedules (i.e. 2016) - but if Gav's writing it, and he says it's not complete, then that must be the case. 

It's also good to hear more HH orientated pieces will be out soon, and we can finally put to bed the debate around why there was such little HH series content over the past year or so (and stop blaming ForgeWorld for holding up the series so they can be in line :p ).

I thought Imperium Secundus was going to be a big thing, so might get more pov from Bobby G and Sanguinius in Pharos

Oh throne, I hope not: I've had enough of Ultramarines and word bearers. I get the impression half the horus heresy books are on calth and imperium secundus, and a third on the shattered legions

Also it seems weird that book 8 of The Beast is still being written. I thought A-D-B confirmed that he was given the choice of doing Beast or Betrayer for HH, and he chose the latter. 

Not exactly. I wasn't all that into the idea of The Beast Arises as it evolved - it was cool, but I'd rather be writing other stuff - and in the end I wrote Betrayer in the slot I would've done stuff for TBA. I wasn't given a choice or anything, I just decided not to do TBA and dropped off the team.

Also it seems weird that book 8 of The Beast is still being written. I thought A-D-B confirmed that he was given the choice of doing Beast or Betrayer for HH, and he chose the latter.

Not exactly. I wasn't all that into the idea of The Beast Arises as it evolved - it was cool, but I'd rather be writing other stuff - and in the end I wrote Betrayer in the slot I would've done stuff for TBA. I wasn't given a choice or anything, I just decided not to do TBA and dropped off the team.

And for that I'm eternally grateful. Betrayer was dope and it's definitely in my top 5 even if you did kill off the only character I liked from the Word Bearers! :p

Not exactly. I wasn't all that into the idea of The Beast Arises as it evolved - it was cool, but I'd rather be writing other stuff - and in the end I wrote Betrayer in the slot I would've done stuff for TBA. I wasn't given a choice or anything, I just decided not to do TBA and dropped off the team.

And for that I'm eternally grateful. Betrayer was dope and it's definitely in my top 5 even if you did kill off the only character I liked from the Word Bearers! tongue.png

In fact, your portrayal of his death just makes him all that more epic smile.png

I agree with @Lord Thorn, I know we want the end of the heresy, but if they have an average of six books or so an arc and that makes Pharos and Angels of Caliban that last two in the secundus arc and with the gauntlet arc that means around the same amount of books most likely 6-8 books! What happened to the sixty Book series they talked about a year or two ago??? The more Heresy the Better!

Is there any News from the convention about the remaining count?

Yeah I'm kinda of two minds on this one. Part of me doesnt want it to end in a way.

Don't worry, I'm sure they will continue to put out "Untold Tales of The Heresy" type stories long after the Emperor gives it to Horus. In fact it would be the perfect way to tell stories about those legions currently underrepresented to date without having the main story meander as it has in the past.

I hope I was able to go and join that event so that I can tell you more about the stuffs there. I just told you what I just got.

John French I heard wasn't able to join though he would love to in the future.

Laurie Goulding said the GW was impressed of the fan organised event that they might consider and hope to do more weekender in the future. In fact, they would set aside a room to organisers of Convention Secundus so that more fan based programmes could be organised by them, as Christian Dunn suggested.

Regarding Dreadwing
As much as I would like Dan Abnett to write, it is obvious nowadays there is so many backlog to his writing commitments and this is inevitable.

As for the Gav Thorpe, that is his list though I would find out more from others as well.

Imperium Secundus arc should be longer but then you have another section that wants Terra desperately.

Thramas Crusade is an all out warfare between First Legion and Night Lords and both did not bring their full numbers to bear. Yet, the description of it in Thief of Revelations by Magnus show how vicious and devastating the crusade is. We should have more material to cover this awesome period. 

Angels of Caliban covers so many stuffs and while Gav is getting better especially with Unforgiven, we know he has great ideas but the execution leaves much to be desired but hey, he has improved a lot.

So much at stake for Astelan, Luther and Corswain. Angels of Caliban gonna untie the lies and myths in Dark Angels' version of event and their interpretation in 40k. Knowing Gav, more easter eggs for the 40k as well. 

Astelan wants his own legion back, Luther desires Caliban's independence and Corswain, just honourably carrying out his own Sire's commands.

First Legion will no longer about just Fallens as they have quite a number of factions and web of conspiracy that even Alpha Legion would envy.

Again, there is so many fog of war:

Mortarion and his fall

Calas Typhon 

Perturabo's journey in the Eye

Alpha Legion civil war

Lorgar's further action

Lol...Narek

Cabal, John, Cyrene, Eldrad

Hoping for Angron vs Red Angel duel 

Hope for more Russ hunting Horus, otherwise it will be just a boast

hummm.... very disappointed there is next to nothing happening with the Blood Angels in Imperium Secundus, we got a short audio from Smillie and small cameos at best ..... can we get a little love please

Though I dislike the Blood Angels generally, I actually agree that we should see more of them: they're always described as being one of the most important legions, pretty much all the primarchs bearing grudging admiration of Sanguinius, yet they've only had one novel, and a few tiny bits and bobs in novellas and stuff.

Their problem isn't as bad as the Death Guard, but still...

There were about twenty of us, I believe, and the authors only came one day each, save Laurie. Hopefully BL does a weekender again soon but this was a fun event and everyone involved deserves applause.:)

Because it was so small and intimate I felt like I personally got way more access to the authors than I would have at a weekender. Beyond the list above it was exciting to hear how strands of story will be connecting over the next 3-4 books. Pulling my notes to review for recording of the podcast tonight (Combat Phase) so after that we can see what's still to be added from the group talks.

There were about twenty of us, I believe, and the authors only came one day each, save Laurie. Hopefully BL does a weekender again soon but this was a fun event and everyone involved deserves applause.smile.png

Because it was so small and intimate I felt like I personally got way more access to the authors than I would have at a weekender. Beyond the list above it was exciting to hear how strands of story will be connecting over the next 3-4 books. Pulling my notes to review for recording of the podcast tonight (Combat Phase) so after that we can see what's still to be added from the group talks.

Were you around for the Convention?

There were about twenty of us, I believe, and the authors only came one day each, save Laurie. Hopefully BL does a weekender again soon but this was a fun event and everyone involved deserves applause.:)

Were you around for the Convention?

Yes, I was the American:) wasn't sure if this post came from an attendee or was relayed.

No one knows, as far as discussed this weekend, when Terra is actually coming but the Heresy certainly isn't ending in the next year or two;) We only had a few guests but please don't take any of this as wider BL gospel. They wouldn't have told us anything they knew wouldn't end up eventually online. ;)

But it certainly does look good are only going to get better for BL fans! Especially if BaC sells like hotcackes.

I'm afraid of Gav Thorpe killing everyone off.

Getting to Terra now will be ok, they can always go back and flesh things out afterwards. Standalone Heresy novels or trilogies.

Last weekend, there was a fan-organised event as sort of replacement to Black Library Weekender:

Convention Secundus

http://conventionsecundus.info/itinerary/

The reason for such drought in the HH line is due to Betrayal of Calth that they want to build up for it but that did not turn out. But, the authors have been working and there would be huge influx. In Laurie Goulding's own words, "Be careful what you wish for."

What does 'it did not turn out' mean exactly? Like... it didn't come to fruition? Or it didn't sell well? Authors didn't complete assignments? The story died or changed?

And 'be careful what you wish for'... is that a warning against progressing the story towards terra? Or a warning against keeping the story around Ultramar?

From Gav Thorpe

Angels of Caliban

- incorporating from what was going to be dreadwing. Waiting for the return of draft for rewrites

- Continues the story on Caliban and Imperium Secundus as well as Lion hunting Curze.

Follow up to Corax in HH

Writing Book 8 of the Beast Rises

What is 'Pharos' referencing? (Sorry if I missed it)

The follow up to Corax- does that refer to Corax: Soulforge or one of the other Corax type books? (I'm just wondering if I should actually read that novel or not?)

Thanks for giving us the scoop!

Archived