Hypothetical question about the primarchs

b1soul

Let's say the Great Crusade is completed without incident and the Heresy never happens because the Emperor exhibits good parenting skills and Kor Phaeron and Erebus both die during the civil war on Colchis.

The Emperor then divides the Imperium into 18 "provinces", each governed by a primarch who answers only to him. The Sol system is its own special administrative district and lies outside all provinces. The Golden Throne is moved to Prospero for Magnus to maintain. The Emperor himself travels to Prospero to ordain Magnus as the Light of the Imperium. Because the Webway Project has run into some unforeseen difficulties, it is still far from complete. On his return trip to Terra, the Emperor and his ship vanish in the Warp (unknown to the Imperium, he will return after 10,000 years in realspace).

What happens over these 10,000 years? Can the primarchs get along? If the Imperiun fractures, what lines are drawn?

Given how several Primarch did not really get along, I would imagine a fracture. With no overarching figure like Big E holding them together, they would forget the larger picture and start rivalries. Horus and Gulliman (how do you write his bloody name Oo) would have the most major one. Horus, being the Warmaster, would see himself as the heir, whereas Gulliman would push his Imperium Secundus. Loyalities during the Crusade would play a role here. At best, a fracture. At worst, a civil war.

See my theory is when the Emperor ended the Great Crusade etc, Lorgar is tasked with creating a new religion based upon the Emperor. This is obviously after Chaos had been defeated.

They would have got on were it not for Chaos. As Horus held them together.

I see the blame game coming into play depending on where the Emperor disappeared. Lines would be drawn and I believe there could be several factions instead of just the 2 from the HH.

I also feel that the NL and WE would have been censured before any of that happened.

I see the blame game coming into play depending on where the Emperor disappeared. Lines would be drawn and I believe there could be several factions instead of just the 2 from the HH.

I also feel that the NL and WE would have been censured before any of that happened.

It is a bit hard to imagine Curze and Angron running Ultrama-style empires...but let's say the Emperor really loves his kids and doesn't want anyone to feel left out.

BTW, each province is centred around the location of each primarch's homeworld

nothing is true, everything is permitted

The Chaos goods merge into one singular entity: Hello Kitty. It is bloodthirsty as Khorne, alluring as Slaanesh, rotten as Nurgle and manifold as Tzeentch. Ten millenia later, in the grim future of Hello Kitty there is only war.

Aside from that if the primarchs should prove resistent to Chaos, they sure are resistent to any other temptation. So the great plan of the Emperor works out - the Golden Throne of Terra doesn't get f'ed up by Magnus and grants mankind dominance over the warp. All Legions mold into the purpose designed by the Emperor and work perfectly together. In the 41. millinium the primarchs are old but still gold. T'au gets conquered, the Tyranids extinct and the Necron tombs are left alone. All are happy and every thousand years the primarchs throw a big birthday party for the Emperor where Fulgrim organizes an epic festival, Mortarion bakes a giant cake, Magnus pulls a magic show, Angron break dances like a maniac and Russ buys Johnson a new dress .. there probably will be peace with Eldar and even Orks.

Also, no Codex Astartes.

It is a bit hard to imagine Curze and Angron running Ultrama-style empires...but let's say the Emperor really loves his kids and doesn't want anyone to feel left out.

So in this particular case Curze never destroys Nostramo? I mean, he did it out of spite for how twisted his legion became.

If that instance weren't to happen I think the NL might actually end up worse off than if the planet was destroyed lol.

But ok so they both are permitted to have their own systems, I think then there would be much grumbling from the other primarchs in concern to Curze and Angron being both allowed to rule as well as their methods. So if the big E goes missing I definitely foresee other primarchs immediately intervening on their rule.

I could see Curze's system just becoming silent, and the other primarchs just not looking his way. It'd continue like nostramo did under Night haunter, but on a much larger scale, and getting worse and worse as the legionairres themselves just start to kill the populace for whatever.

Angron and the war hounds, I'd imagine they would also be given an area such as the ghoul stars, or in the end thry at just decide to go offon their own and find something to fight, maybe tyranids? I don't see angron patiently ruling his own system for ttoo long before getting bored.

As to the rest, I imagine it would all go reasonably well, except maybe for some of the thousand sons. Inevitably some psyker would at some point start practicing chaotic practices without realizing, an incantation here and there...it could create fractures or he could just be culled by some further up the chain of the command.

I'd imagine each primarch would certainly affect their system, with some purging the more bloodthirsty members of theothiton. But all in all, I don't think it would last. The Astarte's were designed to fight, not rule or police. The primarchs, sure, I could see them ruling. But you don't want to try and be kind with one hand and have 100,000 superhuman soldiers ready to keep order in the other. I just don't really see it

I still see Horus trying to take over the Imperium and rule it. He's built to represent his father's ambition for conquest and Chaos twisted that into being built to rule. In Fear to Tread, when he talks to the Nephilim, he ticks when they mention that he'll see how good it feels to be considered a God (Sejanus feels something dark flash on Horus' face but it fades away quick, and that was before Ulanor).

So, what's going to happen is that as the favoured son, Horus will feel it's normal to take charge of the Imperium, and because he's power hungry he'll squash anything that doesn't fit his rule in an extreme way of the compliance actions.

Several Primarchs will be fed up with this and start a rebellion to bring back the original Imperial Creed. I'm pretty sure the sides would not be too far from what we have today, except maybe :

- Emperor's Children go rebel

- Night Lords just secede and go pirates

- Dark Angels might side with Horus, in order to protect Caliban

- Blood Angels side with Horus too due to the bond between the other ones

- Thousand Sons go with the rebels

So in this particular case Curze never destroys Nostramo? I mean, he did it out of spite for how twisted his legion became.

If that instance weren't to happen I think the NL might actually end up worse off than if the planet was destroyed lol.

But ok so they both are permitted to have their own systems, I think then there would be much grumbling from the other primarchs in concern to Curze and Angron being both allowed to rule as well as their methods. So if the big E goes missing I definitely foresee other primarchs immediately intervening on their rule.

Not necessarily, he could destroy Nostramo but his empire would still be centred around the Nostramo system

Everything would be fine. Half of the Primarchs would be revealed to actually be Alpharius while the other half were Omegon the whole time, who is also Alpharius. In the end, the Emperor wasn't even needed at all. Fín.

Everything would be fine. Half of the Primarchs would be revealed to actually be Alpharius while the other half were Omegon the whole time, who is also Alpharius. In the end, the Emperor wasn't even needed at all. Fín.

I think Sigmar is actually the third brother of Alpharius/Omegon. Notice how in Extermination, you have 3 skulls with Alpha, Omega, and Sigma. Who else would be devious enough to feth up an entire fantasy universe ?

Dun. Dun. Dun.

Without the varying aspects of the Mechanicum becoming the Adeptus Mechanicus, I'd think the absence of the Emperor as an incarnation of the Omnissiah / an authority who censors certain research would make it likely they'd eventually rebel if the Imperium started to fragment. And without the Heresy, the Mechanicum is pretty damn powerful - they've got the Titan Legions, Knights, Ordinatii, Cybernetica, Taghmata, etc.

Question is, would any of the Primarchs side with them? I kinda doubt any would directly ally with the Mechanicum, but some would probably take advantage of the carnage to carve out their own empires / simply wreak havoc. Ferrus might side with the Meechanicum, but he's also been known to censor technology (Keys of Hel), so he might alternatively be leading the fight against the AdMech considering his Legion was used against the most technologically advanced enemies of the GC.

Archived