[under Construction]

gallery_53779_9225_180360.jpg

Clan Brannsar Icon, Common Armorial Use

gallery_53779_9225_15602.png

Praevian Centurion-Consul Thorak

Vorax Battle-Automata Maniple Prime, Seeker-Killer Cohort 'Ultor'

Order Quarii, Clan Brannsar

Purge of Exile's Rest

“I will not cower in the dark, striking from the shadows at my foes like a wounded animal while they lay waste to all we labored to create. I will place my standard in the ground and scream my fury across the void – let them come, come to purge us from their new empire of deceit and cowardice. If they are strong enough to bring me death, then I welcome it, but for every pretender who fails, I will tear them asunder and lay their carcass at my feet.

We shall pour across the stars in a tide of iron and fire, and there will be no hole deep enough, no abyss dark enough for the traitor to hide – the Cymaera verge will be cleansed of any who threw in their lot with this false Warmaster Horus, a thousand curses upon his name. We will bring them deaths so vile the earth itself will be stained for millennia, and we will hang their ruined corpses so that all shall see the depths of our hate. Every loyal child of the Imperium will have a place at my hearth, but there will be no mercy for those whose allegiance has not been unwavering – our vengeance will make no distinction between the foulest traitor and those who naively claim neutrality, be they soldier, civilian, innocent or child, betrayal is their crime and the sentence is death.”

- Attributed to the Iron Lord of Clan Brannsar, Volos Phrixus 'The Bloodless' at the Iron Conclave of Davorin Caminas

STRATEGIC OVERVIEW:

Designation: Clan Company Brannsar of the Xth Legion.

Cognomen: Various associated with the wider Xth Legion, 'The Unmakers' - an informal title identifying those forces within the Iron Hands Legion which participated in 'The Castigation of Terentius' retribution campaign.

Observed Strategic Tendencies: Various associated with the wider Xth Legion, Combined Arms Assaults, Joint Offensives

Noteworthy Domains: Medusan Clan land-crawler convoy (command vessel Kronos), Telsterax sectors upsilon 7 - upsilon 16, Davorin Mortis (Death World / Fortress-Vault), Avelith (Dominion-Holdfast), various semi and fully-autonomous bastion stations and containment facilties of undisclosed disposition.

Allegiance: Fidelitas Postremus

COMMAND PERSONNEL:

SCATTERED SONS:

It is notable perhaps, that what was once seen as amongst the greatest assets of the Iron Hands would ultimately hasten the crippling of their Legion upon the blackened wastes of Isstvan V. Utterly focused upon breeding greater strength and rooting out any weakness within his Legion, Ferrus Manus placed the warriors of each of his Clan Companies in direct competition, driving antagonism between each force so that they might become mightier through adversity - feuds were born and grudges settled in the grinding arithmetic of war as the Iron Lords sought to surpass each other in the prowess with which their warriors prosecuted the conquests of the Great Crusade. The Gorgon was the unyielding will which forged this web of rivalry into the relentless force which was the Xth Legion at the apex of its power, utilising an unquestionable set of operational doctrines along with the ideological dominion of his Iron Fathers to retain cohesion within the Iron Hands.

When the unthinkable occurred and Ferrus met his end at the hand of his duplicitous brother, this unity fell apart almost instantly, as the autonomous and insular hosts of each Clan scattered, abandoning common cause and even coming to arms as each Iron Lord sought his own ends amidst the raging conflicts of the Heresy. This is reflected as much in the disparity of tactics between the splintered forces of the Xth Legion as it is in the intent of each force. Many accounts of this tumultuous era focus upon the unlikely guerrilla tactics adopted by the assembled forces of Shadrak Meduson, or the bitter aggression of Autek Mor's bloody host, but for every record known, a dozen are lost, or were simply never made. Perhaps out of some reverence for the lost, the history of the Iron Hands' Clan Brannsar was almost consigned to the latter fate, their Pyrrhic demise in the wars of the Scouring ensuring their role in the Horus Heresy was forgotten. What fragments do remain of the 'Unmakers' are presented here, from their provenance upon the plains of Old Terra to the Civil War which set all they had achieved aflame.

007-011.M31: Sundering of the Cymaera Verge

A nexus of stable Warp routes where the Galaxy’s outer spiral arm crosses the rimward edge of the Segmentum Tempestus, the Cymaera Verge becomes host to a protracted conflict that exacts an increasingly devastating toll on local planets. Traitor forces based at Vulpes anchorage, a major staging ground seized early in the war are assaulted by a coalition of Loyalist elements, including ‘Shattered Legion’ divisions, local forces who spurned Horus’ rebellion and Titans drawn from the Legio Exhortor (Proclamators). The Traitor armies outmatch their foe considerably, but the Loyalists’ haven in the Mechanicum stronghold-system of Davorin proves too costly to attack outright, and both sides resort to marauding incursions across the Verge, inflicting significant losses on either side.

Following three years of intermittent violence, the Traitor forces are eventually broken after they attempt a final assault on the Davorin system, bolstered by reinforcements from the Legio Argentum (Dread Lances) and assured that the main Loyalist strength has departed for the conflict at Tallarn. Having fully committed to the siege, bloodying themselves on the system’s outer defences, the Traitors are ambushed by the supposedly absent Loyalist fleet, trapping them in a blistering crossfire. At length, the bulk of the Traitor forces are destroyed, and in the aftermath of the battle, the Loyalists make good on their oaths and set out towards Tallarn, leaving much of the Cymaera Verge in desolation.

STRATEGIC OVERVIEW:

Combatant Forces – Wars of the Cymaera Verge

Ref: Davorin Caminus Muster

Mustered Forces of the Imperium (loyalist) – Iron Hands ‘Clan Brannsar’:

• 1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th & 5th Orders: 1,050 Legiones Astartes of the Iron Hands (approximate), comprising the surviving elements of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th Orders (which sustained considerable losses during the Isstvan V Massacre); 4th Order at full strength; independent armoured divisions consisting of 9 x tank companies
  • Auxilia Forces: 2 x Chainveil batallions, 1 x Battle-servitor cohort, 3 x Medusan ‘Clanguard’ echelons, 2 x Battle-automata demi-cohorts, 1 x Attached Ordo Reductor Covenant
  • Reserve Assets: Reserve vehicles equivalent to 11 x armoured companies, 1 x Battle-servitor cohort, 1 x Battle-automata cohort
  • {Command}: Iron Lord Volos Phrixus (Clan Leader), Iron-Captain Fulvius (Auxilia Forces), Artificier Sorcha (Reserve Assets)

Mustered Forces of the Imperium (loyalist) – Shattered Legions:

• Imperial Fists’ 315th Demi-Company: 43 Legiones Astartes of the Imperial Fists, 1 x Armoured Strike Sub-Division
  • Salamanders’ Void-Assault Cadre ‘Ashfall’: 112 Legiones Astartes of the Salamanders, 2 x Gunship Squadrons, Assigned Void Assault Craft
  • Dropsite Veterans: 29 Legiones Astartes of the Raven Guard, 14 Legiones Astartes of the Salamanders, 95 Legiones Astartes of the Iron Hands (varying Clans), various surviving wargear
  • {Command}: Captain Vostler (Imperial Fists), Igniax Ozimandius (Salamanders), Shadow Warden ‘Pariah’ (Raven Guard), Ironwrought Petrus (Iron Hands)

Mustered Forces of the Imperium (loyalist) – Davorin Caminus Mechanicum:

• Taghmata Davorin: Conquest Macroclade (temporarily stationed at Davorin Caminus prior to the muster for re-supply) estimated at: 2 x Autokratorii brigades, 1 x Battle-automata cohort, 1 x Macrotechnika decimation cadre, 2 x Ordo Reductor Covenants; Davorin Caminus defensive reserve estimated at: 2 x Battle-automata cohorts, 4 x Battle-servitor demi-cohorts, Adsecularis reserve battlegroup (approx. 10,000 alpha through gamma grade combatants), 2 x Basilikon air-superiority wings
  • Legio Astraman: Sub-Legio (1 x Primaris maniple, 2 x Venetarii maniples), 1 x Secutarii demi-regiment, 1 x Battle-automata demi-cohort
  • Vassal Questoris Household Ny’zaar: 1 x Demi-Household (estimated at 87 Knight Armours), 2 x Questoris Yeomanry batallions
  • {Command}: Archmagos-Belicosa Ilithyia Malus (Taghmata), Princeps-Maxima Alestia Reuvann (Legio Astraman), Marquis Valcair (Household Ny’zaar)

Mustered Forces of the Imperium (loyalist) – Excertus Imperialis:

• 3481st Solar Auxlia Cohort – ‘Cinder Born’: Minoris grade Cohort (25 x Sub-Cohorts, 2 x Super-heavy Sub-Cohorts, 7 x Armour Sub-Cohorts, 3 x Sub-orbital Support Divisions, Assigned Planetary Landers, Attached Medicae, Enginseer, and Logistical Corps, 1 x Legio Cybernetica Demi-Cohort)
  • Vulpes Anchorage 3rd Reserve Flotilla: 3 x Sub-Cohorts of 2194th Solar Auxilia – ‘Vulpes Sentinels’
  • {Command}: Marshal Solar Ophelia Thrace (‘Cinder Born’), Legate-Commander Synthia Fon Drist (‘Vulpes Sentinels’)

COMMAND PERSONNEL:

I've not added it to the first post, as I need to start the main body of text before I can format it properly, but I made an organisational chart to detail the forces Brannsar mustered for it's engagements in the earlier years of the Heresy - like everything in the article, it's formatted / styled after the approach taken by FW's HH books.

Edit: now in the 1st post

• 2 years later...

“I will not cower in the dark, striking from the shadows at my foes like a wounded animal while they lay waste to all we labored to create. I will place my standard in the ground and scream my fury across the void – let them come, come to purge us from their new empire of deceit and cowardice. If they are strong enough to bring me death, then I welcome it, but for every pretender who fails, I will tear them asunder and lay their brutalized carcass at my feet.

We shall pour across the stars in a tide of iron and fire, and there will be no hole deep enough, no abyss dark enough for the traitor to hide – the Cymaera verge will be cleansed of any who threw in their lot with this false Warmaster Horus, a thousand curses upon his name. We will bring them deaths so vile the earth itself will be stained for millennia, and we will hang their ruined corpses so that all shall see the depths of our hate. Every loyal child of the Imperium will have a place at my hearth, but there will be no mercy for those whose allegiance has not been unwavering – our vengeance will make no distinction between the foulest traitor and those who naively claim neutrality, be they soldier, civilian, innocent or child, betrayal is their crime and the sentence is death.” 

- Attributed to the Iron Lord of Clan Brannsar, Volus Phrixus 'The Bloodless' at the Iron Conclave of Davorin Caminas

This is a spectacular piece of writing. I can feel Volus' anger and hatred toward the traitors. This man is clearly none too happy with the loss of their genesire and seeks to avenge his loss. I'm practically at a loss for words. Gave me goosebumps.

“I will not cower in the dark, striking from the shadows at my foes like a wounded animal while they lay waste to all we labored to create. I will place my standard in the ground and scream my fury across the void – let them come, come to purge us from their new empire of deceit and cowardice. If they are strong enough to bring me death, then I welcome it, but for every pretender who fails, I will tear them asunder and lay their brutalized carcass at my feet.

- Attributed to the Iron Lord of Clan Brannsar, Volus Phrixus 'The Bloodless' at the Iron Conclave of Davorin Caminas

This is a spectacular piece of writing. I can feel Volus' anger and hatred toward the traitors. This man is clearly none too happy with the loss of their genesire and seeks to avenge his loss. I'm practically at a loss for words. Gave me goosebumps.

Thanks - didn't realise anyone was still paying attention to this, but I've still been working away at writing new content gradually, I'll make sure to post some in a bit :happy.:

As the default background color is white when this webpage is viewed on a smart phone, the white text is invisible. (I had to set the display to the "Full Version" to read it.) You might want to change that.

I've adjusted it back to the standard mid grey, hope that helps

Archived