Betrayal of the Night: 2016/01/04 A Legion takes shape...

ckpmax1108

So made a bit of progress on Darvhak, namely the putty work on the foundation.

23094043920_0a9640ee7f_z.jpg

The main piece blocks for my Praetor. Once the putty work finishes, I'll paint them in these pieces before final assembly. Still a long way to go though. 

23021852199_53f71cf2f3_z.jpg23307249181_f9333c607a_z.jpg

The legs will be wrapped in a ragged cloth, with a flesh cloth piece at the back. Planning to add a tabard off-center consisting of a row of leg bones tied together, or something in that vein.

23307253451_9330c8900e_z.jpg

These hands hold the scabbard and the spear of The Splintering, pretty standard Tomb Kings bits. I still need to add a rim to the scabbard to show the center hole. This will be painted in flesh, of course! The spear looks fine as it is. Will try to paint this bit less...egyptian-y

22762662463_14a3d3ce28_z.jpg23021868319_e7b0a966fd_z.jpg22762672713_af06330c20_z.jpg

This is honestly my favourite part of the model! TK skeleton attached to a MKIV jetpack (from the sanguinary guard box). Did the putty for the cloth in its hand for now, as when it cures, it'll be a solid foundation for the rest of the cloak....and the cloak will need a good base to stick on as it'll be huge.

23094076390_e9a3c9caa5_z.jpg23094101560_28ac0f8d0c_z.jpg

My second favourite part! The chest looks a bit rough, but some light sanding will clean out the edges a bit. A chipped, rough look wont be so bad regardless :D

The mask took a while...a long, frustratingly damning while. Not as neat as I first conceptualized, but the rough look gives it a bit more character I think. I'll add a secondary spike jotting out beside the existing one.

Honestly, looking at it now, its not so bad with only half a mask...

...ok, ok, its me copping out on doing the other half....I'll be doing the other half. I promise....

Awesome sculpting work thus far! Really loving the jump pack with the skeleton shroud and the helmet, even only half finished, looks ace. Keep at it so we can see some paint on this guy!

Wish I had those skills lol.

I... Just... Wow...

In all seriousness I'm liking the half mask look - sort of phantom of the opera-esque...

This reminds me I need to get off of Fallout 4 and back to my many many kits...

Well done so far and looking forward to more... 

Really enjoy the log so far and I can tell the praetor is going to be great. One thing I think that can be improved on is actually the chaplains flesh cloak. Right now it looks super smooth which is a bit off visually because skin doesn't exactly flow like cloth (I would assume). Maybe if you "weathered" it up by painting tears and holes in the material like it's stretched or torn it would help take away from the hyper smoothness that your painting achieved

I like the praetor, but maybe smooth the grey stuff more out?

Update: just saw the concept....wow. That sketch....awesome. Want to draw more msn-wink.gif

I love the eyes of your chaplain. Mind to share your recipe?

Will sand down the grey-stuff, of course! I think I did mention that on the post before :)

The red of the eyes is fairly simple, but kinda tedious.

- Base with Cavalry brown/Wazdakka red

- Put a bit of white in it, like 3:1 to the red base, and layer a slightly smaller area than the base. painting it in the shape of the eyes lens.

- Put 50/50 mix Cavalry brown/Wazdakka red and white, and apply ike the layer before.

- Then 1:3 mix with more white, and layer as before.

- Pure white and do a focal point on where he's staring. this should be the same shape as the lens, but ultimately smaller.

- Wash the esdes of the eye with red ink/wash for a very muted glow/bleed

Concept drawing rocks socks, the figure itself is coming together nicely

Thanks very much :)

Awesome sculpting work thus far! Really loving the jump pack with the skeleton shroud and the helmet, even only half finished, looks ace. Keep at it so we can see some paint on this guy!

Wish I had those skills lol.

Hahaha Kinda being lazy about it, but I did do the rest of the helmet.

Very cool can't wait to see him finished. thumbsup.gif

I can't wait either! Thanks!

I... Just... Wow...

In all seriousness I'm liking the half mask look - sort of phantom of the opera-esque...

This reminds me I need to get off of Fallout 4 and back to my many many kits...

Well done so far and looking forward to more...

No Phantom of the Opera Praetor today...though that would be a neat concept for an Emperor's Children Praetor

Really enjoy the log so far and I can tell the praetor is going to be great. One thing I think that can be improved on is actually the chaplains flesh cloak. Right now it looks super smooth which is a bit off visually because skin doesn't exactly flow like cloth (I would assume). Maybe if you "weathered" it up by painting tears and holes in the material like it's stretched or torn it would help take away from the hyper smoothness that your painting achieved

The cape bothered me too, So I'll be re-visiting it with some weathering pigments and painting wear-n-tear on it. Will update when I get around to it, of course.

Anyways...

I got a bit excited when I got to this point. Just had to share.

Blue-tacked to see how it comes together.

22776422854_88359b390d_z.jpg22776425064_dd4666f6bf_z.jpg22777632963_2e9a3e7683_z.jpg23404814125_abc9b1eaa1_z.jpg23036852949_7a1b93180d_z.jpg

Some parts are a bit uneven, as I already did some sanding on the parts that cured before. Will shave off with a knife some of the areas to clean them up.

Still need to putty the left shoulder pad with bat wings for the Night lords symbol. Some work here and there still, but its coming along real nice!

So finally got my FW order in...

23434068765_11bc415749_c.jpg

I'm gonna be a busy guy this Holiday...

Also, picked up the Night Lords Trilogy. Its my first foray into 40K novels, and I'm enjoying the literary style of ADB

I'm laying down in my bed right now checking out your log for the first time and my only questions is HOW DID MISS THIS?! I absolutely love your blue recipe as it's what I've had in my mind for the color I want night lords, a blackish blue. I'll have to try it out, I think I have all the paints too at my house.

Loving the praetor, he looks sinister as cuss I love the helmet and the jump pack. Is the helmet supposed to be corrupted by the warp or that just a recent trophy taken by him? Either way it looks awesome!

I'm blue with envy with all the forgeworlds stuff you've got! Your in for a treat in regards to the ADB trilogy. It's what got me into night lords.

This log is swaying me from doing heresy iron warriors at the moment with the awesome was that is the chaplain and his cloak :(

Keep up the good work!

ADB and Abnett are what you want to read. There's some realllly bad authors in the black library

Any mention on who to avoid then? I do want to avoid fanfic drivel, or literature authored by someone with too extreme of an 8th grade syndrome.

Excellent choice of a novel for a first foray!

Also can't wait to see all that pretty resin in midnight clad happy.png

Thanks bud! Pretty stoked in working on my resin-y goodness.

In fact....

Full steam ahead!!

All aboard! Choo choo

I'm laying down in my bed right now checking out your log for the first time and my only questions is HOW DID MISS THIS?! I absolutely love your blue recipe as it's what I've had in my mind for the color I want night lords, a blackish blue. I'll have to try it out, I think I have all the paints too at my house.

Loving the praetor, he looks sinister as cuss I love the helmet and the jump pack. Is the helmet supposed to be corrupted by the warp or that just a recent trophy taken by him? Either way it looks awesome!

I'm blue with envy with all the forgeworlds stuff you've got! Your in for a treat in regards to the ADB trilogy. It's what got me into night lords.

This log is swaying me from doing heresy iron warriors at the moment with the awesome was that is the chaplain and his cloak sad.png

Keep up the good work!

Thanks very much. Glad to hear I'm inspiring people to start their own journey to 30K. Kinda feels like I'm starting with others at the same time smile.png

You go ahead and do them Iron Warrior though, they're have a great aesthetic and guns, guns, guns aren't such a bad way to go.

If you do start NL though, I'll be happy to swap ideas and such.

Praetor Darv's helmet is basically fused shards of bone, which he then had his artificer meld unto his helmet. Do note that every piece of bone that he adorns are from different kil...I mean justified ..."hunts".

So full skeletal hands or arms are made up of bones (in whole or in compound pieces) from different people. The only exception to this is the skull on his jetpack, and the skull on his left shoulder pad.

Anyways....

UPDATE TIME!

Pretty minor really, mostly assembly and sighing on how much I need to do.....sigh...

23093634779_d341044b1f_z.jpg23093667899_4ed09d1673_z.jpg

Assembled the main bodies for my Terror squads. Pretty standard fair, with a corked base. Don't really want to think too hard on basing options. Arms aren't assembled on them yet as I'm waiting for my order of Volkites (Had to buy alternatives, as FW is sold out for some reason!)

Did a few more work though on Praetor Darv, buit this would mostly be final, before I prime him.

23461612685_bfe4da8a92_z.jpg23435462266_b1f4d5a8c1_z.jpg

Smoothed out the helm. Added some brass rods for accents to the chest. Added a skeletal hand cause I can. Right shoulder pad just grey-stuffed up to have mass and smoothed out, adding detailing where appropriate. Made this shoulder pad relatively flat so I could do a free hand mini-mural thing. Design is in my head, but it'll be slick.

Added a skull bit (sanded flat in the back and surface where it contacts the pad), and grey-stuffed closed bat wings. Will smooth out a bit, but being uneven will just give it character.

Also added some torn cloth at the end of the tabard, and a string of cloth rope across it.

23093647709_ed5c8e271c_z.jpg23435469386_34d391c076_z.jpg

Added an Iron Halo cause I can, also added a ram skull and some cabling through its eye sockets to finish the end of the skeletons rib cage. Cleans off this end pretty nicely.

23461626545_c9cf0b93f0_z.jpg

Grey-stuffed an angle at the wrist for the sword hand, as the original pose was too stiff and unnatural for holding a blade of this length.

23165832020_c8d5d29384_z.jpg23461632905_ecd88e8794_z.jpg23165837990_7e93f7a838_z.jpg

Reposed and shortened the spear to be less clunky to carry. Also added a bit of grey-stuff on the torso connection to give more height to the model. Its enough to make him imposing compared to the chaplain, but not too tall to make him look anatomically incorrect.

Also wanted to show a detail you wouldn't normally notice when the model is built: A skeletal hand also holds his meltabomb for him. Aren't the dead a bunch of helpful folk?

Great update! Couldn't believe how fast the volkite sold out again on FW but with any luck they'll have hands attached when they release again to mesh with the BaC box. Cutting all the hands off these bolters makes me want to scream!

Great update! Couldn't believe how fast the volkite sold out again on FW but with any luck they'll have hands attached when they release again to mesh with the BaC box. Cutting all the hands off these bolters makes me want to scream!

I know right, as i was about send out my follow-up FW order, it was sold out sad.png

Bummer....

Anyways, I did find a suitable alternative, that looks close enough to it. Kinda don't want to cut off them hands for the bolters as I was planning to magnetize the options for the squad.

http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/image/cache/data/a-new/rifles_pistols/ion_rifle_-500x500.jpg

Cheaper than the FW stuff. Saved at least 20 CAD off for a set of 30 XD

Maybe a bit long for a Charger, so will saw off part of the mid section to shorten it. Will be sawing off the stock as well, as it looks kinda goofy on this gun.

Also bought a pack of rifle sights to stick on the top rail. (which still came out cheaper than if I bought the FW stuff)

They really don't look all that far off and after a little re-shaping they'll hardly be able to tell apart

True that! Will be a bit of work changing 30 guns, but meh....I've done worse in tedious hobby work.

Haha I'm glad I stocked up on Volkites a couple months back.

I'm sure the alternative will come out great as soon as it's painted up!

Lucky you! I waited too long unfortunately...sigh

Looks so weird to see Terror heads on actual mk IV armour tongue.png

Also welcome aboard the choom train

Why is that weird? Is it too uncommon to see the two together?

Also- Choom!

I really need to let go of my hobby knife. I just keep adding more and more on him...arghhhhhh. One last change though, as I try to give him clawed fingers

22868700764_8525e104c8_z.jpg

On its just because all my guys are in mkIII so I'm used to seeing the heads on that

Ahhhhh Gotcha!

That Praetor is seriously pimped out in his bone suit. Wish my sculpting skills were as impressive as yours, great job mate. Can't wait to see him painted up biggrin.png

Thanks Soric!

Painting is underway for him, the only other thing i added before paint hit plastic is that I painted a subtle claw in his pointing hand, and sculpted a bone-y build-up on his boots. (Won't show it now, but will post a pic when I've made a more significant progress..sorry)

But for now, can I get input from folks (I know this is mostly a modeling thread, but I don't mind popping in some army building tips):

For Heresy Era:

• Should Night Lords flavour Terminators be kitted out for CC murder, since were the few that can reliably deepstrike our guys? So lightningclaw pairs up the wazoo?
  • or should we be anti-armour kitted out?
  • And if so (to either point above), how should we be kitted out?
  • Should a max sized unit of Raptors be a better posse group that a jetpack praetor hang around in (or will a 10 man suffice)? and how should it be kitted out?

For 40k Era:

• If I transition a Heresy army to 40K equivalents, what could they be (model-wise)? Trying to get my money's worth by squeezing out a 40k CSM list from whatever HH purchases I do XD

Sorry again for folks expecting modelling updates, I can guarantee that its moving ahead in a steady pace and will update as soon as I can.

A healthy mix of a little bit of everything is how I run my terminators. Generally I include at least 2 chainfists.

Raptors I like in units of 10-12 with a chaplain or primus medicae and the av12 shield relic (refractor field maybe?). It usually gets enough of them to combat to outnumber and cause serious damage.

Archived