Betrayal of the Night: 2016/01/04 A Legion takes shape...

ckpmax1108

A healthy mix of a little bit of everything is how I run my terminators. Generally I include at least 2 chainfists.

Raptors I like in units of 10-12 with a chaplain or primus medicae and the av12 shield relic (refractor field maybe?). It usually gets enough of them to combat to outnumber and cause serious damage.

Thanks for the advice Black_out! I kitted my box Termies to have 2x chainfists with Heavy bolters, one dual claw (cause thats the first one I built before asking for advice hahaha), one heavy bolter/powerfist, and heavy flamer with powerfist. I probably buy another Calth box to bring this group to a 10 man squad, or is it better to have 2x 5 man groups?

Totally agree with the Raptor comp, I feel much better with at least a 10 man group for "Talent of Murder", though how many Chainglaives would you give a group that big? I keep hearing give them up to 4 as chainglaives are great on the charge, but not so great when you're already in combat.

Kinda want full use of Terror Assault, so would we need to go big with our only Heavy SUpport slot? Fire Raptor then?

Some more input from the NL vets here would be awesome! :)

Hobby wise....

UPDATE TIME!

I know this is long overdue (down with the flu for 3 days didnt help), and folks want some paint on Darvhak. So I deliver folks!

Darvhak Jur, the Corpse Lord (95% done)

23738374325_a0d87b3cb0_c.jpg23712265206_2e4e89e823_c.jpg23110227054_a8651a44dc_c.jpg23111561713_5c04cc4c9a_c.jpg23370721729_96785fbc2c_c.jpg23656348841_473f6ea38b_c.jpg23111871753_bdb78a7d07_c.jpg23442962460_ef3c65d650_c.jpg23110524074_400c5a5c92_c.jpg

Really damn happy how he came out, patience was really a virtue for this guy!

Some Comments:

• The bone took me a while to figure out, as I had to make it look like bits and pieces of bone stuck together. Vague shapes here and there, some jaw lines, and fang pieces. The cracks and fissure took a while to figure out how to execute well, without looking "fake".
  • Favourite part has to go to the cloak, as that alone was the basis of Darvhak Jur's design!
  • Was first planning to do a freehand mural of sorts on his right shoulder pad, but did a double take that that may make the model too busy (as it already was hahaha) So just opted for the typical NL lightning instead. It looked great as it tied that piece back to the model theme.
  • Did the thin plastic lining on his chest armor and legs to be silver to bring out the theme for my army, as silver is a better match for a midnight clad colour scheme, than bronze or gold (Which I frequently see other NL armies are done at)
  • There are a ton of little details that I tried to pack into him, some may or may not be seen across the table...but meh :)
  • Still need to finish the highlights, shade, and stitchings on the cape, the wash and drybrush on the base, and some freehand script I'm planning on the sword blade and spear head, and that'll be it!

Let me know what you guys think! C&C is highly welcomed and encouraged!

The fragmented effect you did on his helmet looks so cool amd the paint overall is really, really well done!

As far as terminator unit size I think it'll depend how you use them. I prefer 5-7 if I intend to deepstrike with combi plasma or melta weapons and a full 10 if in a dedicated transport.

Chainglaives I'd keep in the 4 neighborhood. They're not all that great while locked in combat because you lose your extra attack with2 ccw's because they're 2 handed. I like mixing in a couple power axes for some ap2 punch and then usually the rest basic for the additional attacks/saves.

I don't run terror assault myself so can't really suggest what's best to run in your HS slot although we NL players all love our Fire Raptors lol.

Wow, Darvhak is insanity. Everytime I check those pics out I catch another little detail I missed previously.

I'll agree with Black Out on the Night Raptor composition. Chainglaive a typically work best in smaller numbers. My Night raptors tend to work best at 9-10 with three glaives and two power axes. Makes them very hard on the charge and gives lots of variety in strength and useful AP.

For terror assault I always use a Sicaran Venator in my single HS. Nothing stops other armor dead no matter the size like a Venator.

Darvhak looks absolutely incredible (the actual words that came out of my mouth on seeing him used a good deal less family friendly vocabulary :P). There are so many nice little touches to him but they're tied in so well that none of them detract from the overall effect. His skeletal right hand is one of my favourite parts.

I can see this thread providing a lot of inspiration (read: Ideas to blatantly steal :P) when I start my own night lords after Christmas. Really looking forward to see where you go with them.

The bone is very well done, especially on the helm and the boots. A good three dimensional effect with the paint and the cracks.

It's a good thing he isn't going to have any shortage of enemies, he's going to need to repair that cloak after every battle...

Thanks very much! He's more in favour of collecting bones than skin, as the skin on his cloak were collected by his apothecary from slain leaders in a challenge. But yes, more space for the trophies of honour!

Woah! Wasnt sure on this guy pre-paint, but youve really pulled it off! Hes terrifying.

I love the little hands holding his scabbard/spear.

Made me nervous as well when i was sculpting him, good thing the paint carried it off well....whew!

The hands are great aren't they, kinda like tiny little helpers!

The fragmented effect you did on his helmet looks so cool amd the paint overall is really, really well done!

As far as terminator unit size I think it'll depend how you use them. I prefer 5-7 if I intend to deepstrike with combi plasma or melta weapons and a full 10 if in a dedicated transport.

Chainglaives I'd keep in the 4 neighborhood. They're not all that great while locked in combat because you lose your extra attack with2 ccw's because they're 2 handed. I like mixing in a couple power axes for some ap2 punch and then usually the rest basic for the additional attacks/saves.

I don't run terror assault myself so can't really suggest what's best to run in your HS slot although we NL players all love our Fire Raptors lol.

Wow, Darvhak is insanity. Everytime I check those pics out I catch another little detail I missed previously.

I'll agree with Black Out on the Night Raptor composition. Chainglaive a typically work best in smaller numbers. My Night raptors tend to work best at 9-10 with three glaives and two power axes. Makes them very hard on the charge and gives lots of variety in strength and useful AP.

For terror assault I always use a Sicaran Venator in my single HS. Nothing stops other armor dead no matter the size like a Venator.

Thanks guys for the advice, I think I'll roll around a Deep strike Termie squad instead of podding or rolling them on. I've heard from buddies that multi-role CC and range per termie is the way to go. Though, is there any use for a dual lightning claw termies? or is a full squad of them too expensive regardless if we can deep strike 'em? (charging limits upon dropping does delay their usefulness until next assault phase I guess)

10 sounds like a good number for a Raptor squad, but I'll still buy around 15 to max them out. I'll follow your advice Flint, 3x Chaingliaves, 2x Axes. Bolters and CCW for the rest correct? Can a jump pack praetor hang around with them as well? or is a Medicae with the shield a better fit?

Also, I'm torn between getting a Fire Raptor and a Venator now for my next FW order...there's always the option to buying both...I guess hahahaha

Darvhak looks absolutely incredible (the actual words that came out of my mouth on seeing him used a good deal less family friendly vocabulary tongue.png). There are so many nice little touches to him but they're tied in so well that none of them detract from the overall effect. His skeletal right hand is one of my favourite parts.

I can see this thread providing a lot of inspiration (read: Ideas to blatantly steal tongue.png) when I start my own night lords after Christmas. Really looking forward to see where you go with them.

Steal away! It gives me the warms feelings inside when i inspire other folks to start NL as well. If you need help in incorporating some details I used on your own painting, I'd be happy to share of course. B&C is a great place to help each other become better hobby-ists and gamers!

http://i.imgur.com/ovSX4UG.gif

Was the first reaction, when I saw the finished model

Followed by this

http://i.imgur.com/e4Fonhb.gif

Sometimes there are no words...

Gifs are the best way to get your point across! Thanks very much man! Glad to see I invoke your inner Master Roshi

So in my office, doodling a bit away, and came up with the following scripts to apply to the Darvhak:

23749886805_55f0b68f65_z.jpg

From top to bottom:

• The Splintering on the sword blade (the scrip is too long on the spear, so I'll skip it there)
  • The Wraith on the right shoulder pad (in red, above the silver band)
  • The Prisoner on the skull of the skeleton (starting from his forehead running up towards the back of his head).

Thanks to brother Noctem Cultor's thread for the info on the Nostraman script

that praetor is SO cool, I absolutely love the idea with the cloak.

looks like the Nostraman script is very very heavily influenced in style by elder scrolls daedric script.

When you said that, I just realized that the script is basically Daerdric script, upside-down (on some characters)...

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090411141042/tesfanon/images/4/4f/Oblivion.gifhttp://i932.photobucket.com/albums/ad165/Liamgregg1988/Night%20Lords%20WIP/NostramanRunicAlphabet_zpsf54a9fe0.jpg

Well it is unofficial, and I have to use something right! Very effective nonetheless.

Ok gents...

Darvhak Jur is finally done!!!!

Disclaimer, I tried to do the freehand on the Nostraman script, but due to it being a test of almost Messiah level patience, I'll postpone that part of him for later....much later...

Anyways, pics:

23735885306_9800cf1a22_c.jpg

Just need to hit him with the old Matte spray to tone down and flatten the colours

23653521072_cfb304f7c3_c.jpg23466310230_71ae0ded9c_c.jpg23466304900_e721988eed_c.jpg23735874086_2824ecf903_c.jpg

I did try at least, but man is it a pain. I'll reattempt when I feel 100% better, and when my plague cough doesn't force me to pause every 5 seconds.

And here he is with his Chaplain buddy. Quite a spiffy duo!

Thoughts though on if I should paint blood on the blade or not!

23133824154_70e3cbbdef_c.jpg

Next on my Heresy painting schedule, Terror squads, and more importantly modular infantry blocks with magnets!

Yes, I did apply magnets to every single right arm stump on these guys. Here's a bucket full of them arms to prove it:

23653539442_6ca7e29027_c.jpg

Also, my order from Anvil Industries came in. Greasy as always, so took extra time in scrubbing these guys clean. The length of the guns are almost the same as the FW Volkites, so I didn't need to do any mod work on them, just stuck on the top scope. Still waiting on scrap bits for right arms so I could saw the hands off and glue them to the gun. Magnetizing at the wrist wont pose a bit too much of an issue, just a bit fiddly.

23466294900_67570e1ed3_c.jpg23679580251_56ac248bda_c.jpg23679577241_ec7454793f_c.jpg

The terror squads will form the bulk of my Holiday break painting, so stay tuned for more!

As always, C&C is welcomed and encouraged!

Your praetor is just so badass. I really envy you your GS skills. Ugh

Thanks Buddy! You should've seen my first attempts at GS work...yeesh, That was horrible and almost made me quit doing putty work altogether.

Guaranteed, patience, and practice goes a looooong way.

Some tips I garnered:

• If you're having trouble controlling the pieces into a shape you like, let the mixture cure a bit to a consistency like play-dough. It'll be easier to form, and less likely to break due to softness.
  • Alternatively, when mixing the epoxy, add a little bit more hardener to the mix.
  • Keep random shapes and forms on hand, for easy shaping. Spheres, corners, points, etc...
  • Water is you're friend. Helps smooth out the putty, and reduces the chance of the mix sticking to your figures and tools. Alternatively...you can use oil (cooking, veggie, etc...)
  • Leave it when it dries. If you cant get the shape you want, get it to as close to what you need. And when it fully cures, cut/sand/chip away till you get the results. A lot less heartbreaking when your first doing putty work.
  • Having a clean glass surface will help in forming putty while its flat. Again, be liberal with applying water (or oil) over your work surface to prevent stick-age.
  • Better to form complicated shapes flat, letting it cure a bit, then shaping it to where you need it!
  • Super glue, especially the thick solution, is a great quick gap filler when your putty cracks.

If you have any questions and concerns, feel free to post, and I might be able to help.

Not saying, I'm a know it all authority in sculpting work (there is pantheons of people out there better than me), but I'm willing to share what I do know, and what works for me....and hopefully it helps other people too! :)

I'd probably hold off on painting blood on the blade as you've done a really nice job on the highlighting. Your Praetor is looking awesome mate, I'm all sorts of jelly smile.png

Thanks for the support as always, Soric. Yeah, I think keeping him clean this time around will be better :D

Had a flash on inspiration again...so I did a quick doodle on an on/off mini project I wanna do after the Terror squads are done/underway.

Perhaps it was inevitable...

Perhaps fate...

Horus' traitorous allies shall succumb....

one by one...

No matter how honourable or noble....

how justifiable or elegant...

The dark whispers of betrayal and deceit are overpowering..

leading those to embrace its ruinous powers...

23145478634_903b4f3561_z.jpg

He was once known as The Corpse Lord...

Now he gathers not just the bones of his enemies...

But skulls...for the skull throne...

So I really like the paint scheme....except for the lightning. There's something that's just too messy and out of control with it compared to the rest of your scheme and ability.

Generally you want it to be going in one direction instead of having an explosion of it like you do on the shoulder and knee.

As for blood effects it won't actually ruin your highlights unless you really glob it on; go lightly at first to get the splatter and then build it up until its suitable

So I really like the paint scheme....except for the lightning. There's something that's just too messy and out of control with it compared to the rest of your scheme and ability.

Generally you want it to be going in one direction instead of having an explosion of it like you do on the shoulder and knee.

As for blood effects it won't actually ruin your highlights unless you really glob it on; go lightly at first to get the splatter and then build it up until its suitable

Finally, some criticism! I was waiting for this.

Yes I did feel that the lightning on the raised knee and shoulder pad was bit un-orderly and over-the-top when compared to the ones on the gauntlet, backpack, and side of the right ankle. Perhaps it was due to my spastic, enamored work pace that screwed it up a bit.

Will repaint over this pieces and redo the one on the shoulder. For the knee though, I'll keep the burst focus on the transition and just fan down the lightning.

Thanks for the input buddy!

I'll still think about the blood....

Yes I did feel that the lightning on the raised knee and shoulder pad was bit un-orderly and over-the-top when compared to the ones on the gauntlet, backpack, and side of the right ankle. Perhaps it was due to my spastic, enamored work pace that screwed it up a bit.

Will repaint over this pieces and redo the one on the shoulder. For the knee though, I'll keep the burst focus on the transition and just fan down the lightning.

Lightning can be over the top and still look fine, it just has to arc properly and be clean imo.

I think a lot of people have messy looking lightning because they try to use 2 or 3 colours for it when you really only need 1

Gotta say that Praetor looks ace.

Thanks Sal, hopefully you stay tuned for any future updates :)

Lightning can be over the top and still look fine, it just has to arc properly and be clean imo.

I think a lot of people have messy looking lightning because they try to use 2 or 3 colours for it when you really only need 1

I agree with the arc-ing, though having massed bolts do overwhelm a surface a bit, as was the case with the right shoulder pad

Will minimize the amount, as that seems to give the best look.

Technically lightning has a central solid white or white+pale blueish tint, with a dull overflow along its length.

Having just a solid white colour for lightning will still look good over any dark colour, (as white naturally has a slight glow effect when on a dark surface), I just want to go beyond just white streaks hehehehe 

Will fix tonight, as I got distracted playing Tales of Hearts R (The system is pretty refreshing, the leveling feels a bit like Tales of Xillia, and the whole "you don't get weapons from shops, you get it by skill ups" is unique----- though what grinds my gears is some of the cutscenes are in 4:3 resolution...straight from the damn DS version...ugh, the voice overs are sometimes mistimed with the subs, and the core story seems a bit flat)

Love it Love it Love it. You've truly created a one of a kind miniature there.

Cant wait to see more CKP.

Whats you recipe for bone?

Thanks scottish-emp! Hopefully you'll like the things that will be coming out as well.

My bone recipe is fairly simple:

• Ivory (off-white base)
  • Wash with Brown ink (Agrax earthshade)
  • Reapply Ivory over raised portions of the bone, or prominent areas
  • Pure white on the most pronounced corners, tips, edges, within the areas painted in Ivory 

Progress is going at a pace that surprises me a bit.

23195929613_4d1903b051_c.jpg

30 Terror squads up for a ride on the batch painting train. Did the black prime and the first base of prussian blue+metal medium last night.

23821942935_dd5bf3f473_c.jpg
23527056850_440105859e_c.jpg

After which today, proceeded with spot painting gunmetal on the exposed joints, piping, the thruster exhaust, and the plating on the chest pieces. Applying the black wash proceeded after. 

Plan for attack tomorrow would be to re-apply the prussian blue+metal medium mix, edge highlight the armour, spot paint the red, flesh, and bone pieces (highlighting and shading inclusive), then edge highlighting the metal parts back up, all in that order.

Thankfully its the weekend, so doing the lightning on Saturday wont be too much of chore, in which case repainting the lightning on Darvhak's right shoulder pad and left knee will be done that day as well.

Arms are a separate affair, as I'm still waiting on my order for right hand holding bolter bits. :/

Stay tuned for progress....and let's see if I can finish the bodies of these guys by Saturday/Sunday XD

Other than that...

23196162983_fd81a96090_c.jpg

Drop pod #1, Termies for magnetizing, A Termie character I still don't know what to do with, and a magnetized Contemptor awaiting his GS treatment.

23822987575_14e6604894_c.jpg

...and let's just say Wednesday will be an exciting day for me.

Sorry Flint, old girl...not a Sicarian Venator this time around....

Archived