WarriorFish's Legio Venator Blog

WarriorFish

Might be a bit small for the Dremel, but 2mm is easily done by hand. I have 2 unopened boxes of the previous Tac squad (where the other 2 grav come from) and I plan on making several swappable special weapon models so I can have all the variety I could need. Maybe look into a Command Squad in the same way as well :D

Thanks, got a 1500pts game in today and spectacularly failed to take notes or pictures again but they looked great on the table all painted up :smile.: Seraphiel did pretty good for new model syndrome, popping a reasonable number of Grey Knights before eventually succumbing to kraks. Fortunately my Captain did a good blender impression with the Burning Blade, must have carved through a third of the enemy's points by himself...

Really tempted to get a fifth Dread on the table for my next game but we'll see what next project takes my fancy :biggrin.:

• 1 month later...

I seem to be suffering from hobby butterfly at the moment, but at least that's keeping things fresh. Not sure if I mentioned it before but I drop podded in to rescue some BP/CCW Scouts last year and I've got my hands on them now. Managed to pull most apart and I've given them a clean:

gallery_30308_10604_24203.jpg

Another project ready for me, might shuffle these up the supply chain a bit as I've had good results from my Scouts so bolstering their number can only be a good thing :) I do have an Ironclad too...

Butterfly being put to good use, got some models out of soak that have been in there a few months. Looks like it worked, most of the paint came off:

gallery_30308_10604_28064.jpg

Sadly the terminator bodies were not impressed so they've gone back in for more... guess that 2+ save works outside of the game too :P

Think this makes the fourth project I've attacked today but all good progress. However I need a bit of help deciding on the poses for a couple of my Honour Guard:

HG1: sidestep and shoot

gallery_30308_10604_20615.jpg

Think he should rotate the torso a bit more and a bent right arm would look more natural?

HG2: chaaaarge!

gallery_30308_10604_22464.jpg

Like the sword, but maybe the bolter needs to be pointing down?

Last but not least the third Honour Guard is all glued:

gallery_30308_10604_35617.jpg

Or rather mostly glued, he's also magnetised:

gallery_30308_10604_12310.jpg

A very close fit for the magnet in the hand though but it makes for a secure fit over using a bit of metal, I'll be adding a power sword later. You can also see the handle-less holster here as he has his bolt pistol out, putting all the detail in on these guys :smile.: Fancy weapons too, the bolters are from the Command Squad sprue so they'll have nice equipment along with the Vanguard pistols. Was going to do a thunder hammer too but only the Champ can have them which seems a waste.

I'll come back to them to play around with poses, plus there's a bit of drilling and tidying up that needs doing. Next box of Sanguinary Guard I get will put another three or four models towards my Honour Guard so I'll look at magnetising another couple I think :tu:

Thanks Dos, I'm hoping to finish these models off this week especially since I've found the smaller magnets I was looking for :)

These will be painted fairly similar to a normal Marine, like the Champion I did for Honour or Death the main difference is the extra details and bling they have so they'll be a bit more colourful for it, chiefly gold and white. Not too much though, not a chapter for ostentation :P

Amazing what can be done when you have the right bits, magnetising the sword was a doddle with the smaller magnet:

gallery_30308_10604_21691.jpg

So easy that I think I'll replace the other right CCW hand with a magnetised wrist. Plenty of options then, except lances and thunder hammers of course! :smile.:

With this my Honour Guard are assembled, save for some extras I might add like purity seals:

gallery_30308_10604_27095.jpg

gallery_30308_10604_8666.jpg

With two modelsmagnetised and a relic blade and another power sword added that should give me plenty of options for now :smile.: I'll look at magnetising another couple when I get round to adding to their number but hopefully this is the start of a good selection of magnetised options for a variety of models - including a new Captain/Chapter Master at some point :thumbsup:

I should get some priming in this weekend, maybe even start on the painting too. The plan is to get them on the table soon :biggrin.:

Bit of priming done today, added a couple of purity seals too:

gallery_30308_10604_1628.jpg

I might give them a bit of gold on the shoulder trims help them look a bit shinier but we'll see. I've decided my Honour Guard are going in my next list so I'll need to get them done relatively quickly!

First coat of green done tonight, maybe get enough done for a bit of detail work over the weekend.

gallery_30308_10604_44831.jpg

Speaking of which I've noticed that I'm starting to see some of that mysterious bright stuff on the way in and out of work now, so that bodes well for future painting :)

Yeah, from some kind of fiery glow orb in the sky? Not sure if it's around where you are, perhaps its a portent? I think we should worship it by making sacrifices of meat on burning pyres and ritually consuming liquids.

Planning on getting some gold, white and (other) green on these models so they should stand out a bit from the rank and file nicely :smile.:

I forgot what it looked like too :tongue.: Summer is the glory time for painting as the evenings can only be used for basic work such as above during the duller seasons. Any detail work with a tired eye and poor light is only a recipe for mistakes to spot in the morning. With some good long sunlight and some daylight saving shenanigans detail work can be done in the evenings, so my effective painting time increased dramatically :biggrin.:

Progress has been good, the green and gold is done but I decided to concentrate a bit more on one since they were looking close:

gallery_30308_10604_33926.jpg

Green highlighting is the main thing missing along with some detail and touch up work so he should pop a bit more when finished. Gold was a bit of a pain but usually something that needs a lot doing starts making the model look a lot more finished when complete :biggrin.:

Plan is to get these done this week along with as much work as possible on my Vindicare. I think I have good odds of at least doing most of this :smile.:

This colour scheme works a million times better in the flesh than I would have thought if you'd told me about it. I really like your work here.

If I may - forgive the presumption -  I feel like the 'white' detail colour you've chosen might fit better with the gritty, dull green (which I love) if you downgraded it to a bone colour. Like the chest scroll on the recent guy (maybe highlighted a shade lighter than that). It would mesh better, and still serve to act as a contrast, without jarring slightly as the white does (maybe only in my eyes). This is totally my subjective opinion, so if it works for you as it is, go with it :)

Either way, great scheme and I look forward to seeing more!

Thanks! :D I originally had bone, but it didn't really work. The usual colour for the crux and similar things is the gold but I was aware of how much gold they already had and didn't want too much or to make them seem "top heavy" with it. It should be less jarring when the green gets highlighted and some more colour is added when the gems/eyes and seals, scrolls etc are done. Plus I could always give it some blood splatter if I was so inclined :P

Some more progress tonight on the other two:

gallery_30308_10604_25253.jpg

Not quite as good work, eyes are a bit tired so best to stop now. Thinking on what Arkhan said I might try mixing some white and gold on the crux symbols and see how that looks.

The green highlighting, seals, scrolls, gems, lenses and other final bits and bobs will be done on Sunday. Along with another couple of models I'll be priming tomorrow evening I hope to get them all done this week :biggrin.: