SW1's HH Wolves - Wolf-kin Conversion.

SW1

I kept my devestator/support squad sergeant with the same loadout as his squad but I am building Iron Warriors and I wanted shrapnel bolts. Otherwise, I'd usually go for a power fist.

I'm afraid I don't have much advice for the command sqaud, I always just rule of cool them.

I'm not a very competetive gamer....:)

Standard looks great so far by the way. The green-stuff work is very good.

I've got access to the original book 1 so I'm guessing the tactical support squad got updated to be more like the heavy support squad. With the Serg having access to the same weapon as the rest of the squad?

Really need to get the red book and inferno. Roll on payday!!! :D

Cheers for the feedback regarding the gs. I'm pushing myself with gs at the moment. So more often than not I have to restart a few times. More practice the better I'll get. The real test will be making the 3 plastic Contemptors look more SW like. Bit nervous about making them all look different.

Oh sorry, I read that as heavy support squad (which can have the same weapon) not tac support squad.

Steered you in entirely the wrong direction there sorry!

I'd go power sword and bolt pistol but it might be worth waiting for Inferno to see if you have access to a frost weapon of some kind.

Looking forward to seeing your contemptors. A few small changes can make a big difference.

I originally was going to do a small Iron Hands force to dip my foot into 30k. I bought some models and then the idea got lost in the bitz boxes of doom. :)

So I've got a bunch of pads and some Immortals sat not doing much.

I'm now tempted to do a small shattered Legions force to include the bits SW's don't get. Eg Rapiers, Artillery. As I've got the start of 3 Rapiers and I've got 2 basilisk ready to go as well (1 stripped down plus another on sprue) as I'd planned on doing them.

The other option is to convert up iron priests from the immortals and the tracked units could carry conversion beamers. I know it's not the efficient bike/TDA method of having them but it'd look cool. The basilisk a can get stuck with my guard who probably need them more.

Really need to not get caught up with all the shinnies. Lol ... Hobby butterfly will not screw up my SW's, I've waited too long for this (yeah I'm an old fart and I've wanted this for over 2 decades)!!!

So a 10 man shield wall of slayers and a 20 man bolter pack need to happen. Supported by destroyer pack, Deathsworn pack and a command pack. Then I can have fun with other stuff!!!

Urgh ... Can't sleep, the old back is playing up. :(

Really is the wrong time (3:30am) to come up with an idea to convert up a Contemptor with the ice claws from the plastic SW Dred kit. I'm also considering the possibility that the front plate from the same kit will go over the top of a metal Dred's sarcophagus. Also could the frost cannon be converted up to be a conversion beamer?

Guess I'll find out in the morning.

Sorry to hear about the back. Hope it eases up on you.

Yes the plastic dread bits do fit on the metal dreads.

Used the birs to uodate my old bjorn dread :)

Loking forward to seing the claw. I used zombie scytges for mine.

Just call the Helfrost a couts ss beamer just a more compct fenrisian design

Yeah ... It's completely scuppered any chance of getting painting done.

I can manage standing up with clippers or scalpel in hand with plastics and that's about it at the moment. :(

Though I keep getting inspired to try different combinations of bits, it helps keep my mind off the pain. Lol ... It's also amusing to see what the kids bring back when I send them off to get a part for me. Trying to explain I need a SW plastic Dred foot and getting marine legs or metal legs is funny.

I've got 4 metal Bjorn models I need to change up. A 3 strong claw will be changed up with old Epic Titan legs. Will need to bulk the legs out a bit, but will give them some extra height.

If I may suggest an idea since we'll get a SW specific contemptor. What does look ace is a box dread mixed with a leviathan, putting the sarcophagus in the centre, and I don't think we'll see a named SW leviathan :)

When I get hold of a Leviathan I'll give it a try. :tu:

Tried the claws with blutac and they look like a decent fit, will post a pic later. Going to give the axe a go merging with a Contemptor arm as well.

So blutac test fitting went well ... all will count as Dred combat weapons ...

Double Ice Claws:

gallery_25187_9829_710707.jpg

Whopping Great Frost Axe (limited to the models right arm):

gallery_25187_9829_668939.jpg

Fell Hands Frost Claw (can be either hand):

gallery_25187_9829_203936.jpg

Normal Claw (can be either hand):

gallery_25187_9829_400393.jpg

Needs cleaning up before gluing together but good enough for proof of concept. What do you think of the direction I'm going with for the Contemptors? :)

Will need to retain at least one of them for the box Dreds before getting carried away with converting stuff up.

Really need to work on the arms for the metal TDA. Do I retain the old arms or replace them with plastic ones?

Looked through the bitz boxes and there are 7 box Dreds ready for induction, though some need to be stripped. I've also currently got 2 Contemptors not the 3 I'd thought. The other one is my brothers and likely to get painted up in another Legions colours.

I'm considering using the clawed foot from the plastics set for the box Dreds. Though looking at bits sites there doesn't seem to be enough in the market to meet my requirements. Needing at least 13 more is pushing me towards looking at casting them in resin. I could get away with a single piece open cast mould which is exactly the same as casting bases which I've got lots of experience doing. ;)

Really is just getting around to prepping and pouring the mould.

I need to get one of the lads to get my terrain bitz boxes down so I can get hold of a cities of death big dangling light to finish off the frost cannon to conversion beamer conversion.

I've got so many ideas now bouncing around and being limited by not being able to get stuff out of boxes rather than lack of ideas. Normally I have a sea of bits to hand and no ideas what to do with them, so it's a nice change. So just to give a little warning I may post a few rambling posts just to retain ideas. However once I get hold of the bits in question you'll see pics of the conversions. Bits in bold are just reminders for me.

So the conversion of the Heavy Conversion Beamer I think came out well ...

gallery_25187_9829_53649.jpg

gallery_25187_9829_254311.jpg

Think it looks good paired up with the big Axe ...

gallery_25187_9829_50974.jpg

gallery_25187_9829_128944.jpg

Just looking back at how I've converted PA version of the gun it matches well ...

gallery_25187_11316_20935.jpg

Will be looking at a Forge Lord on bike and a Forge Lord in TDA both with conversion beamer.

Just going back through the trial pics and really glad I didn't decide to go with the extra barrel extension ...

gallery_25187_9829_303022.jpg

That didn't even have the back end on and it was already longer than it ended up being!!!

Found the clawed foot I need to cast up and will try pouring a mould with the dregs of leftover rubber from an old project. I might try scratch building some new bases for my SW's and make some moulds for them at the same time.

Slowly working on assembling Grey Slayers. I've culled the bulk of the metal mk7 with just the odd one with no helmet (mainly characters/wolf guard models) other than a few long fang models which have lots of other extra details and they will be sprinkled/hidden in squads.

Mainly mk6 metals will be mixed in about 5 or so in every 20 man unit of Grey Slayers. Seeker squads may end up being all armed in mk6.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol ... Yeah I double updated.

Now I had decided not get any shineys until making inroads to the metal/plastic/resin mountain range. However I found the start collecting SW's box for a discounted price. So I have 1 thunder wolf to mess up trying to widen them. Then do a decent job on the other 2 to make Russ's 2 friends.

I've had a play around with the TWC and worked out why I hate the models so much. They're whip thin and look more like Rats than big Wolves as can be seen in the pic below:

gallery_25187_9829_220230.jpg

The far right one has been bluetac'd together while the other 2 have had a chunk of sprue slapped in the joint at the back of their heads. I think this helps really bulk up the look of them.

Next up it's time to try and widen the body. I was a bit nervous of messing this up but I think it's done ok:

gallery_25187_9829_35559.jpg

gallery_25187_9829_200220.jpg

While taking the pics I thought about adding spacers to the shoulders as well. I tried it with bluetac (which is quickly becoming my biggest handy hobby tool) and liked how it looked. The whole model I'm hoping is moving out of the mount look and firmly into the proper carnivore look.

In the end I just went with my gut. ;)

I've now started the slow process of gs'ing the model which I'm really happy with. First model I've actually stopped before getting my prints all over the gs. Not sure why but I started on the lower back:

gallery_25187_9829_404703.jpg

My last pic for the night is a bit scrappy in quality but I think helps show the size of the models:

gallery_25187_9829_103254.jpg

Cheers for the comments.

Really enjoying bulking these out. Worked the fur on the belly and back right leg. Had to stop as I keep knocking the paw on the leg I've already done.

This is the biggest gs'ing job I've ever tried. Normally I just slap a blob of gs in place and sculpt till I'm happy with it. This one in having to do a bit and then put to one side while things cure. Really hard to resist doing a little more. Can't really work on the heads yet as I need to finish the shoulders to know how much I need to increase the ruff around the head by.

Guess it's time to do a stretch job on the second wolf.

Lesson learned already for the 2nd one is do the gs'ing of belly fur first, then the legs and finally the neck/back. I've started in completely the wrong order but it's a learning curve. :)

Second one has been bulked out with sprue spacers in the same places and then the joints have been filled with gs. Belly and one leg has been gs'd.

First wolf has had a rest of the belly done and most of it's back.

Lesson learned from today ... I really need to mix smaller batches of gs!!!

Urgh ... Looking at what I did yesterday I know I could do much better if I just did smaller bits. I think I need to redo them rather than leaving it as is painting and then regretting it.

I mixed up too much gs and just slapped it over one of the legs and back of the 2nd wolf. So it's lost a lot of the shape.

I think I can save the belly which I'm really happy with.

Archived