IM - Imperialis Militia And Auxilia Regiments

Hesh Kadesh

Like the rest of the threads for external forces, if you have any characters or regiments/detachments, whether they be a collective name for a cultist throng, or a temporary Special Forces Operational Task Force made of non-Astartes, this is the place to put them.

In addition, ideas for Provenances can go here.

First couple to set us going;

Mining Engineers; In detachments with this provenance taken, no vehicle with a transport capacity may be taken. Instead, any unit with the Provenance special rule may purchase a Hades Assault Drill (Imperial Armour; Vraks 2nd Edition rules). If taken as allied detachment, reserves for these units may be rolled for one turn earlier than normal (usually turn 1).

Trench Clearers; When throwing grenades during the shooting phase, units with this Provenance may throw more Frag Grenades; this turns the attack into an assault D6 weapon with the pinning special rule, although you may not roll higher than there are models in the unit; anything higher is reduced to this amount. In addition, any grenades gain the Wrecker special rule when used in an Assault and if removed as a result of Death or Glory, a model with this provenance may ignore it if he passes an Initiative Test. Militia Levy squads in detachments with this provenance may not be taken.

Novadeca Strelæ

During the great wars waged by Kozja Darzalas to unify his homeworld, the primarch of the IXth legion levied ten regiments from the provinces he conquered. These, in a mirror to the Terran "Old Hundred", were given the sobriquet of "New Dozen", a number which would grow to thirteen in the dark days of the Insurrection and Revolution.

In game, the New Dozen regiments can be played using standard Imperial Army lists. The Provenance equivalences are as follow:

I - Darzalan Cossacks: Warrior Elite

II - Yurasil Chem-wolves: Alchem-Jackers, Feral Warriors

III - Lechska Fusiliers: Solar Auxilia

IV - Zhar Hussars: Warrior Elite

V - Mogugrad Death-strike: Gene-crafted

VI - Vostala Ironclad: Survivors of the Dark Age

VII - Chelo Revenants: Abhuman Helots

VIII - Arkanav Voltigeurs: Feral Warriors

IX - Kzarny Rad-walkers: Trench Clearers, Cyber-Augmented

X - Zalmoxite Cataphracts: Solar Auxilia

The Karat-Zera:

Grim faces hidden behind masks of death and optics. Zero emotions showing, unflinshing, unbending and unbreaking men. The Karat-Zera are the main auxilia and siege forces of the Eagle Warriors, the in brown and grey trenchcoated humans with expertedly trained eagles eye.

The Karat-Zera are recruited in their hundreds of thousands from Mexicatii and Xandra, their forces a welcome sight between some of the legions, and an unwelcome sight for many others.

They dont seem to care about casualties, and are open to sacrificing thousands to reach their goal.

The Karat-zera are played as solar auxillia

The Jackal Guard

Comprising thousands of fugions citizens, the Jackal Guard were drawn from the Jairongy, Beylgu and Aebaken continents and trained by Willyms most trusted advisors before being shipped off to join him on his flagship. Such was the trust that Willym placed unto them that their quarters were out between the primarchs and anything else, being the last line of defence between the primarch and any who would do him harm in his hearth. On the battlefield they were stealthy ghosts, accompanying the primarch to places a regular astartes could not go. Armed with the finest arms and armour available to humans, they cut an imposing, yet diminutive figure, even around the astartes of the XVIIIth.

I think I might have to think up a unique unit for them, to represent the commando aspect who follow Willym around in his travels. I've also thought of a new provenance, one suited to the Jackal Guard and probably any other stealthy legions auxilia regiments.

Jungle Warriors: Any troops choice gains the stealth (forests) USR. Any models that go to ground that have this provenance may get back up in the next turn without any penalties. Auxilia levy squads may not be taken in an army that has this provenance. May not be taken in conjunction with the survivors of the dark age provenance.

• 3 months later...

II - Yurasil Chem-wolves
Born from the savage raider tribes surrounding the Darzalan domains, quickly brought to heel by Kozja's unification wars, the chem-wolves were the first result of his experiments on the human form: alchem-amped warriors filled with agression drugs and muscle growth factors, numbed by a constant stream of painkillers. Though not the most dignified of armies, the Chem-Wolves earned a fame during both Old Night and the Great Crusade as a weapon of terror, tearing through their foes with little regards for their integrity.

VI - Vostala Ironclad
Although Old Night took a heavy toll on the Strelans, one nation managed to remain prosperous despite centuries of war. Located in the inhospitable but ressource-rich north of Avkha, the people of Vostala gained a reputation in their industrial capacity, and the devastating weaponry it allowed them to field. But when the Darzalans approached them with promises of a world once more united, the Comitees voted in favour of an agreement. Soon enough this new province provided the nascent empire with brand new armoured divisions and harduous soldiers, whose plated suits are not dissimilar to those of contemporary Albian Ironsides on Terra.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to write a few sections on famed regiments of the Arpine Auxilia

Van Dykke's World Militia

An agri world located in the south of the empire of Mycenae, Van Dykke's world is one of the most productive worlds in the whole empire. Frequently referred to as the bread basket of Mycenae, Van Dykke's world pays an enormous tithe in food stuffs. However, while this would be more than sufficient on its own, Van Dykke's world also supplies an enormous number of troops to the Arpine Auxilia. The principal cause of this is the world's culture. In pre Imperial times, it was viewed as every young man or woman's duty to protect their village from all comers and they weren't seen as complete members of the community until they had shed blood in defence of that community. However, now that the Imperium has come, Van Dykke's world is surrounded by peaceful sectors and so the youth now shed their blood on the fringes of the Imperium. Every year, when the youth of Van Dykke's world come of age they enlist in the Arpine Auxilia and are sent to wage war amongst the stars. However, instead of signing up for life as most regiments do, this youth will serve on the frontlines of the Great Crusade for 5 years and then they will be dismissed from service with full honours and they will be replaced by another group of fresh faced young Van Dykke's Worlders. While some will inevitably choose to stay and become part of the iron core of hard faced veterans who make up the heart of Van Dykke's World regiments, most choose to return home and to a quiet life of farming. Yet they will never be free of their duty to defend their community and so, should the need ever arise, they are prepared to take up arms once more as experienced soldiers with no need of explanation in how to use their weapons and the battle instinct only veterans possess.

I got bored so I wrote what are likely incredibly badly balanced rules for two units I've been thinking about a lot since the question of the Imperial Army in the Insurrection came up.

Shoulder-Breaker fire squad, 90 points. Gunnery Sergeant WS3 BS4 S3 T3 A1 I3 W1 LD7 SV5+

Gunner WS3 BS4 S3 T3 A1 I3 W1 LD7 SV5+

Spotter WS3 BS3 S3 T3 A1 I3 W1 LD7 SV5+

Unit size: 3 gunnery teams and 1 gunnery sergeant.

Equipment: Shoulder-breaker rifle(gunner only), lasgun, spotting scope(Gunnery sergeant only), frag grenades.

Shoulder-breaker rifle: S5 AP3 Heavy 2, Gets Hot!

Spotting scope: Gives the unit split fire for as long as the model using it is alive.

Special Rules: Relentless, Fire from cover, Fire on my target(gunnery sergeant only)

Fire from cover: So long as the unit hasn't moved, it counts as having a 4++ cover save.

Fire on my target: Once per game the.gunnery sergeant may designate a target. All models from his squad may re roll failed to hit rolls against that unit.

Options:

Each gunnery team may take one extra spotter for +4 points.

The squad may take up to 3 more gunnery teams for +20 points each.

The entire squad may take shredder rounds for +50 points.

Shredder rounds. S4 AP3 Heavy 1, small blast, shred.

Insurrection veterans, 140 points.

Veteran Sergeant WS3 BS4 S3 T3 A1 I3 W1 LD8 SV4+

Veteran WS3 BS4 S3 T3 A1 I3 LD7 W1 SV4+

Wargear: Scrap carapace, overpowered las, bladed entrenching tool, bundle grenade, Iyacraxan cocktail.

Unit size: 19 Veterans, 1 Veteran Sergeant.

Overpowered las: S3 AP3 Rapid Fire, Gets Hot!.

Bladed entrenching tool: S+1 AP5.

Bundle grenade. Assault grenade, S4 AP4 Small blast.

Iyacraxan cocktail. Assault grenade. S3 AP5 3 small blast, aflame.

Special Rules: Stubborn, Disciplined fire, Preferred enemy(Legiones Astartes).

Disciplined fire: At ranges of "12 or less, any model with this rule may re roll ranged to hit rolls of 1.

Options:

May take up to ten more Veterans for +5 points each.

One in every five may take a

Flamer +5 points.

Volkite caliver +10 points

Melta gun +10 points

Plasma gun +15 points.

Two in every ten may replace their overpower lasguns with

Shoulder-breaker rifle +10 points

• 5 months later...

Had a very quick look at their codex but it doesn't say anything about the heresy.

Maybe the were founded after Terra, when the need for elite forces rose incredibly and Astartes had other things to do.

Kinda hoped that they could give us another pov.

• 3 weeks later...

Reviving this to post new providences/work on providences. 

I have thoughts on two providences: Penal Legion and Hive Gangers 

The penal legion should have wardens with +4 armor save as sarges with re-roll armor saves against attacks of strength 4 of less (riot armor) however give them tyranid out of synapse behaviors if a warden isnt in the squad or a unit of wardens isnt within x inches. Penal Squads could be fearless or re-roll moral checks when within distance of the wardens but if wardens fail a moral check then penal squads must also take a moral check.

Well what I was thinking of is you could replace squad's Sargent with discipline masters. Then for the squads you can choose to buy a warden for every 10 models in the squad. So you can either be safe and have a lot of the wardens or you can choose to risk it and go light on the wardens.

Maybe arm wardens with bolt pistols and shock tasers? Or maybe even a poisoned pistol that is concussive to represent tasers?

I am thinking Hive Gangers should be able to buy "bribes" which can be used to either pin a unit, delay a unit in reserve or cause a re-roll in scatter dice. Each game you could spend them differently. These could represent gang bosses having connections in high places.

With the new mining equipment vehicles being released with the genestealer cult it would be easy to adapt their rules for the mining engineers.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just bringing this back up up, had an idea for a Rough Rider's esque.

Native Cavalry; (+35pts) Any Imperialis Militia Platoon Command Cadre, Grenadier Squad, or Reconnaissance Squad with this Provenance may pay an additional +20 points to change their unit type to Cavalry - if they do so, they may not take a Dedicated Transport of any kind. Any Force Commander, Discipline Master, Medicae Orderly may change their unit type to Cavalry for +5 points per model. Medicae Orderlies and Discipline Master's taking this option may not be attached to units with the Infantry Type, but may instead must be attached to units with the Cavalry unit type. Any model eligible to take a Power Weapon may select a Power Lance for the same cost. You should model Cavalry appropriately, and should be mounted on 50mm bases or larger. This may represent using mounts as ubiquitous as horses, to reptilian beasts, or even mechanicum centaur-hybrids.

Looking at Generalripphook's idea's, the Penal Legion is already represented by Militia Inducted Levy Squad. And the idea for the mechanics of the armour is not only way above the scale of what a Tertiary or lower tier (given that there are Legions, Solar Auxilia, and other primary infantry militia regiments (such as Survivors of the Dark Age/Warrior Elite/Gene Crafted to represent the Old One Hundred) to be used as a preferential choice of deployment ahead of a penal legion) unit could be expected to field, but also a very hard mechanic to work out - you allocated wounds after rolling to wound. You can't allocate a wound, and force the reroll. The Synapse-idea could be pretty cool, but it's a lot of wording and special equipment/special rules to simply say that Discipline Master Cadres are a fairly common component, especially when there Alchem-Jackers which specifically call out a use for Penal Units.

Now, you might make an account for a special Penal Legion being used as a "bad lads army" brigade, but I feel that this is already represented in game sufficiently. Sorry!

Archived