A Badab War Tale of 8 Gamers - the Vega III Incident

Stoneheart

Greetings all!

Thanks to Dosjetka for initiating this project.

I am pleased to present a Badab War-themed Tale of Gamers. This 6 month project will see a group of Badab War enthusiasts document their attempt to raise 1000pts worth (or more) of their chosen chapter.

This is purposefully a more relaxed Tale of Gamers, the objective to produce an exciting narrative-driven army that interacts with the other participants'.

The rules are:

- Start date: 23/11/15; End date 23/5/16

- 4 participants per side (Loyalist/Secessionist)

- Each participant must represent a chapter/human army present during the Badab War - no duplications.

- Each participant pledges to produce at least 1000pts of their force by the end date of the project. - This must be a legal army, consisting of at least 1 HQ and 1 Troops choice.

- Each participant must ideally post weekly updates regarding their progress - if this is not possible, please let us know ASAP!

- Weekly updates ideally should include some sort of WIP pictures and, if possible, some literature regarding the models and their involvement in the Vega III incident - details of this below. If participants haven't been able to do anything, this is absolutely fine, but please let us know so we know so we don't think you've jumped ship!

So, the participants we have so far:

Loyalists:

Stoneheart - Salamanders

Magicman - Marines Errant

GrandMagnus - Sons of Medusa

Raeho - Exorcists with Carcaradon allies

Secessionists:

Leviathus - Astral Claws/Tyrants Legion

Hushrong - Executioners/Inquisition

Thrillhouse - Lamenters

Naryn - Mantis Warriors

The Vega III Incident

Synopsis

In the build up to the decisive Sagan Offensive in late 908.M41, the Loyalists target a Secessionist supply base in the sparsely populated Vega system. Launching a successful attack, the Loyalists believe that they have the secessionists cornered until reinforcements arrive, throwing them on to the back foot. Before the loyalists are forced to capitulate, the mysterious Carcharadons arrive and turn the tide against the secessionists. In order to guarantee this dangerous, maverick chapter's commitment to the Loyalist cause, the loyalists are forced to commit a heinous crime that leads them into an uneasy truce with the Inquisition, who have been using the Vega III assault as cover for their own nefarious objectives...

Introduction

//Inquis.file//8032190-995M41-A-Z-3//Access_*****_//Accepted//

Thought for the day: ‘The end justifies the means’

The Vega III Incident – Badab War, 908.M41

Introduction:

What follows is a summary of the ‘Vega III incident’ as recorded by the Mantis Warriors Chapter, Adeptus Astartes (extracted as per conditions of the Emperor’s Forgiveness – for full details see Inquis.file//4561128-913M41-B-D-3). It is the only surviving official record of the event and is recorded in abstract here. The event was unique in that amongst the myriad conflicts of the Badab War, this was the only one that involved all four secessionist chapters fighting in concert, as well as the so-called ‘Tyrants Legion’.

Vega III – Planetoid orbiting Vega (Class 2 star). Dust bowl with equatorial asteroid belt. (At time of conflict) One major city/foundry ‘Vega III Prime’. Population 10 thousand souls, mostly indentured workers and families.

Mantis Warriors records describe that Vega III was being used as a supply depot for the secessionist war effort. It is now known that Loyalist forces became aware of this following interrogation of captive Astral Claws, and resolved to seize the supplies for themselves in preparation for the Sagan Offensive (see Inquis.file//4561567-908M41-B-F-2).

Phase 1 - The Loyalist Assault

In order to seize Vega III for the loyalist cause, a fleet comprising strike cruisers from the Salamanders, Marines Errant, Sons of Medusa (this does throw some doubt on their apparent withdrawal from the war in 907.M41) and Exorcist chapters was assembled. Information extracted from captive secessionists revealed that the Vega III Prime depot was most vulnerable during surface-orbit transit of supplies, as the anti-air defences were compromised whilst friendly aircraft were over the city. The loyalists therefore timed their assault to begin during this critical period.

At the time of the assault, Vega III Prime had a sizeable Tyrant’s Legion garrison, overseen by elements of the Astral Claws chapter roughly a company in size. A company of Executioners, had arrived planetside to collect supplies for the ongoing war. The loyalists arrived in system depleted in strength – the Exorcists were inexplicably delayed in the Warp. Regardless, the Salamanders, Marines Errant and Sons of the Medusa sprang their trap, affecting a devastating naval assault that saw the Executioners frigate Fury captured, the approaching supply vessels destroyed and most of the secessionist Astartes trapped on the planet. They were however, too late to prevent an Astropathic distress message being transmitted by the crew of the Fury.

Rejecting offers of honourable surrender (and silencing dissenting voices amongst the Tyrant’s Legion officers), the trapped Astral Claws and Executioners resolved to hold out until reinforcements arrived. The Loyalists, determined to avoid excessive collateral damage to the Vega III Prime foundries and their workers, eventually opted to avoid simply bombarding the secessionists and began a ground assault, confident that the relatively small secessionist force would quickly be overwhelmed.

However the secessionists, using the plentiful arms stored on the planet, had armed the civilian population and conscripted them into the ranks of the Tyrant’s legion. The Loyalist ground assault was stymied by the combination of secessionist Astartes skill-at-arms combined with the overwhelming numbers of indentured militia, and were forced to fall back to their landing site to re-group.

The Sons of Medusa, ever coldly pragmatic, finally won the argument to use the full force of the Loyalists fleet against the now hostile population, citing the needs of the wider war. Reluctantly the Marines Errant and Salamanders acquiesced to this. In a devastating orbital bombardment, Vega III Prime was reduced to rubble. The indentured militia was devastated in this attack, removing the secessionist advantage in numbers, and the Loyalist assault recommenced.

Unfortunately for the loyalists, it was at this point that Secessionist reinforcements arrived in the form of a combined fleet of Astral Claws, Lamenters and Mantis Warrior vessels. Unaware of the reasoning behind the wholesale destruction of what they thought was a neutral population, the newly arrived secessionists launched a furious naval assault on the relatively undefended Loyalist ships.

Phase 2 - The secessionist counter attack

Breaking warp dangerously close to Vega III, the secessionist retribution fleet had the advantage of surprise. To make matters worse for the Loyalists, the crew of the Fury, upon seeing their rescuers, seized the initiative and rebelled against their captors. They managed to free the imprisoned Executioner Astartes. A ferocious firefight ensued, and in the chaos the venerable frigate was critically damaged and sent plunging to the planets surface below.

Meanwhile, the opposing fleets duked it out, with secessionist boarding parties able to disable and seize control of the Salamanders and the Sons of Medusa Strike Cruisers. Only the Marines Errant were able to repel their boarders, but were forced to retreat to the relative safety of the planet's asteroid belt. With their fleet all but routed, and many Astartes now captive (or missing; see below) things looked bleak for the Loyalists.

Then a vox message came through. The Fury's crew had managed to affect an emergency crash landing on the surface of Tarsiss prime. The surviving loyalists were forced to defend themselves from both within the wrecked ship and without as secessionist Astartes from the ruined city emerged from the underground depots to finish what their brethren on board had started. With fire-fights still blossoming within the Fury, the commander of the rag-tag coalition of Loyalists was voxed a final message from the seemingly victorious secessionists in orbit - no quarter would be given.

Then in a twist of fate, the remainder of the loyalist fleet - having been delayed in the Warp en route to Tarsiss Prime - arrived in-system. The mysterious Exorcists had arrived, and with them, unexpectedly, came the Carcharadons Astra - a chapter of dark reputation who had come to mete out their own brand of the Emperor's justice to the secessionists (they would not appear again in the war's records until some years later) This new loyalist fleet vastly outnumbered the secessionists. Their message was simple - release the loyalist prisoners, surrender the planet, or be destroyed.

Phase 3 - The Endgame

All of a sudden the tide had turned against the secessionists. Faced with destruction or ignoble defeat, the Lamenters and Mantis Warriors agreed that it would be better to cut their losses and regroup for later engagements. The Astral Claw elements of the fleet thought otherwise - the supplies on the planet were vital, and the Tyrant of Badab would brook no compromise.

Meanwhile amongst the Loyalist fleet, the Carcharadons were proving difficult to hold back. They were determined to attack the enemy fleet - they had all the advantages after all, and the ships would prove useful for the loyalist cause. But the Exorcists advised caution, as to attack now would result in heavy losses on both sides, negating the advantages of taking the planet for the loyalist cause.

The Astral Claws, disgusted at the supposed cowardice of their allies but knowing that to stand alone would invite total destruction, decided to take matters into their own hands. If they could not claim the planet, then no one would - they would launch cyclonic torpedoes and commit Exterminatus. They contacted the Exorcists informing them that they would accept the loyalists' terms, gave the Mantis Warriors and Lamenters an hour to withdraw the remaining secessionists from the surface and then feigned making for a jump point while preparing the torpedoes for launch.

But they did not count on the Carcaradons. A member of their Librarius foresaw the destruction of the planet, and with only the tersest of explanations, the Carcaradons broke formation and went in for the kill, determined to destroy the Astral Claws vessel before it could commit Exterminatus. The Mantis Warriors, aghast at this apparent betrayal, moved to intercept whilst the Lamenters moved to withdraw the remaining secessionist marines from the planet's surface. The Exorcists, their hand forced, also entered the fray, whilst the Marines Errant rejoined the action in support of the new arrivals.

Down on the planets surface, the loyalist survivors of the Fury were finally overwhelmed. Their commander, Sergeant Kor'El of the Salamanders, was brutally decapitated by a Centurion of the Astral Claws despite the protestations of the Executioners (this may have contributed to their switching sides towards the end of the war).

The ground assault was a victory for the loyalists. The combined efforts of the Sons of Medusa, Marines Errant and Salamanders routed the Tyrant's legion and their Astral Claws overseers, who - having been informed of the Exterminatus - resolved to die fighting, and were wiped out to a man. Most of the surviving Tyrant's legionnaires were rounded up as prisoners, and the civilian population who had been kept safe under the surface were kept under loyalist guard.

With the surface situation temporarily stable, the naval battle turned bitter as the Mantis Warriors managed to destroy two Carcharadon support vessels. Ignoring these losses for now, the Carcharadon's strike cruiser Mako closed in on the Astral Claws. The Exorcists focussed on the Mantis warriors whilst the Marines Errant sent in boarding teams to rescue the crews of the Salamanders and Sons of Medusa ships.

With the loyalist fleet now fully aware of the Astral Claws intentions, and the Mantis warriors ship in Exorcist hands, efforts now focussed on rescuing the warriors on the surface. The Lamenters were able to withdraw their allies from the wreckage of the Fury, and being made aware of the Astral Claw's intentions, agreed to help rescue the loyalist marines and the civilians from the ruined city in a display that would earn them the everlasting respect of the loyalists.

The Carcharadons, meanwhile, having disabled the Astral Claws vessel, boarded the ship and butchered all on board in a climactic battle, but not before a single cyclonic torpedo was launched, which annihilated the planet's main city before many of the inhabitants could be rescued.

Aftermath and controversy

Result: Draw. The Secessionists had taken heavy losses and had been tactically defeated but managed to deny the Loyalists the supplies by their last gasp launch of a cyclonic torpedo.

Casualties:

Secessionists - heavy. Astral Claws fleet element totally destroyed by the Carcharadons. Mantis warrior element largely destroyed by the Exorcists in return for the Carcharadons commitment to the Loyalist cause (also in vengeance for their destruction of several Carcharadon vessels)*. MW survivors (those not present on their Strike Cruiser when the Exorcists overtook it) imprisoned by the Loyalists. Lamenters came away largely intact, and were able to escape with the surviving Executioners and Astral claws from the surface. Tyrants legion elements routed, survivors imprisoned by loyalists or escaped with Lamenters.

Loyalists - medium. Last action of the war involving the Marines Errant, who sustained light casualties throughout this campaign.

Salamanders element suffered medium casualties. Sons of Medusa likewise.

Exorcists and Carcharadons - light casualties.

* The Carcaradons demanded the custody of the Mantis Warrior prisoners taken by the Exorcists in return for their commitment to the Badab war. Knowing that the Carcaradons would likely butcher the Mantis Warriors but determined to win the Carcaradons over (who would probably turn on the loyalists just to get their revenge on the Mantis Warriors anyway), the Exorcists successfully won over the Carcaradons by executing the Mantis Warriors in front of them.

The loyalists, shamed at their actions, bargained with their Inquisitor allies, and had all records of the conflict expunged in return for their silence regarding the secondary objective of the assault on Vega III - the placement of a Callidus temple operative in the ranks of the Astral Claws (see Inquis.file//4561128-913M41-B-D-3).

So participants, thank you for your pledges so far! Let's kick things off with an introductory post. First post should ideally be an introduction, what you will be doing in this project, what your first target is and any other interesting information you feel you would like to add. If you already have an army of your chosen chapter built up it would be good to show that, as it gives a starting point to which you can add.

Let's get this party started guys! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Stoneheart smile.png

Hi guys! I will be building up a force for my existing Exorcists based loosely on the Scarblade Strike Force from Kauyon, so it will be mostly made up of bikes and terminators. After I finish the 1000 point minimum requirement I'll be moving on to give my Carcharodons some love.

I'll update this post once I get some pictures of my existing forces and what I intend to pledge first, as well as background for my army, but for now this will do as a brief introduction!

''It will be soon, you think?''

The flames licked hungrily across the grilled floor, and up the blackened blast door, as Veteran Sergeant Valens watched. The sounds of explosions rocked the vessel, atmospheric decompression was venting gas, flames and bodies out into the void. The Executioners had closed fast, slipping in from the deep dark with all the grace of a blade. A fine piece of void work.

''Soon enough.'' Narvaez smiled beneath the stoic mask his helm portrayed. Just another boarding action. Nothing they hadn't done before. They were just on the backfoot, this time. The whole thing in reverse.

The sirens wailed, red klaxon lights intermittently bathing the corridor in blood. The blast doors began to open.

''I'll lead'' Narvaez held up a hand to signal 3rd Tactical squad to prepare to move.

''Thats why you're the Captain.''

Valens, laughed, and he followed.

gallery_58164_5494_28790.jpg

Hey, im MagicMan, and i'll be taking up the part of the Marines Errant in this log. My first pledge is to complete Captain Anton Narvaez, who will be leading my force. smile.png

gallery_58164_8865_8858.jpg

Gathered at a round table they stood in silence. Each was a demi-god of war who had earned their offices with bloodshed. Some were present in the flesh while others occupied their space with hololith projections. All made note those absent, especially their High Executioner and the one who had taken up his axe only hours before.

They were Warlords, brother-captains of the chapter, standing around the stone table with their gauntlets upon its surface. Tradition demanded that no weapons were permitted in this chamber and hands were kept visible. It stemmed from an era turned myth when brother betrayed brother with daggers hidden behind their backs.

A surviving image of this era was carved upon the onyx table. An armored fist clutching an orb imposed over an image of two axes. It was a symbol of their origin and their pride.

The eyes of those present were upon Rahl, reigning lord of the Fifth.

You all know that the Astral Claws warship made dock here. How their emissary presented the shattered sword of their former liege whose inheritors we swore an oath. And now the Night Hag has made full sail for the Maelstrom, rasped Rahl with his dry voice.

His tongue licked at pale, thin lips.

It is true. We will honor our debt to the Astral Claws Chapter. The Executioners will come to their aide.

From his own mouth their suspicions were confirmed. The whole of the Executioners chapter would soon gather and prepare for war.

Who threatens the Astral Claws so? Asked the Warlord of the Eighth? From whom shall we take our trophies?

Rahl’s grey eyes looked around the table. He looked at the face and images of his brethren. They all knew there oath would be one of honor and dare they say it, shame.

His eyes then stared down at the image carved onto the table. It was a black gauntlet of the VII Legion holding a golden orb, Terra, safely in its palm as its defender. A sentiment of cruel irony washed over him as his lips cracked to move.

The Imperium of Man. Rasped his voice again. We make war against the servants of the Emperor.

---

Howdy folks. I'm Hushrong (Hush for short) and I have the honor of bringing the Executioners into the fray. I am coming out of a hiatus from the hobby world and was pleasantly surprised to be offered a spot in this endeavor. So a big thanks for that!

I merely hope to build a cool-looking army that will be fun to play in Zone Mortalis (and beyond that possibly) and practice some sculpting. My skills are still atrocious I hate to say. I am also hoping to hone my painting skills too as it isn't the best either.

To start, my first pledge will be to buy a codex and double check my army list, build one member of each of the three main infantry squads I will possibly be fielding, and get the test dummy below painted. *I may have to prime him by hand as Winter has finally found Texas...

http://i1350.photobucket.com/albums/p779/theironwithin/Mobile%20Uploads/431258C4-B0B7-42D2-A2F9-39104041EA65_zps8jz48uni.jpg

Excellent intros all. The enthusiasm is palpable, looking forward to seeing how this pans out! 

I have some lamenters built but nothing painted yet. If you have trouble filling the spot i would love to join in. Also if i can use my already built stuff.

Thrillhouse we are indeed short of a Lamenters player - you can certainly use already built stuff, it only counts as complete when you've finished painting it. If you would like to take part, have a read of the rules in the first post and let us know. If you're up for it we'll put your name down on the first post as our Lamenters guy. Then we'd just need your initial intro post to get you started!

Welcome to Badab guys! My first pledge is a small bike squad and attack bike, the first of many.

The Exorcists forces at Vega III were recorded to have been led by Captain Solomon Ataraxis of the 5th Company. In this engagement the 5th Company is noted to have been deployed as a highly mobile and hard hitting strike force. A large number of their members were mounted on bikes for the duration of this engagement, utilizing hit and run tactics that synergized well with the Carcharodons own fighting style of strike and fade, showing off the tactical flexibility the Exorcists are famed for.

gallery_85589_11357_1831878.jpg

Thanks for the welcome, guys!  Like raeho, my first pledge is going to be a small bike squad.  Very excited to be a part of this!

Following standard Mantis Warriors doctrine, long-range bike support was mobilized during the secessionist counterattack on Vega III.  Scouting the besieged ruin of the Fury on Tarsiss Prime, these scouts and skirmisher units had several hostile encounters with Loyalist forces, both the initial assault force and later the defenders around the breached Gellar field generator of the wreck of the Fury.  This latter attack brought them into combat with mounted Exorcist units.  A vicious mobile firefight and melee broke out between the two forces, eventually carrying them entirely out of the city and into the dust-covered wastes of the planetoid's wilderness.  There, the Mantis Warriors forces were able to shake off their solemn red-armored pursuers, with the aid of [Redacted - for full details see Inquis.file//4561128-913M41-B-D-3].  The destruction of the city, and ensuing loss of a significant portion of relevant Mantis Warriors command structure in the aftermath of the Vega III incident, meant the squad was forgotten on Tarsiss Prime.  They were not recovered, in fact, until the detente between secessionist Mantis Warriors forces and Loyalist factions was secured some four years later.

http://i.imgur.com/3R6YARH.jpg?1

Edit: basecoats finished, washes drying

http://i.imgur.com/13Vb4le.jpg?1

Having read though everything I must say that thos sounds amazing and I would love to participate. I will write my initial post before the weeka end together with a painted test. Meanwhile I have started a project log for my Lamenters to avoid too much spam here.

The only thing Im uncertain of is my writing, but ill give it a shot! I love reading you guys short stories.

Having read though everything I must say that thos sounds amazing and I would love to participate. I will write my initial post before the weeka end together with a painted test. Meanwhile I have started a project log for my Lamenters to avoid too much spam here.

The only thing Im uncertain of is my writing, but ill give it a shot! I love reading you guys short stories.

Excellent, glad to have you aboard Thrillhouse. Don't worry over-much about the writing - the models are the key :) 

I hadn't planned on it, but I've got some Dark Vengeance bikes kicking around I might be able to whip something up with. 

Badab war chapters are my favorite chapters, because they have so much character.  I'm really excited to see what you guys put together!

I love the pose of your Executioner Hush, and also the fluff. Its stuff like that wich makes me want to write my own and also feel I could never do half as good. But I will certainly give it a shot further down the road. Also that bit on the shoulder, the skin, is used to great effect.

And Naryn, that goes for you too. The colours look perfect and I love the outrider bikes. Cant wait for some closeups!

Whoever wrote the opening narrative: Great job! I feel like I chose the perfect timing to get involved in the forum.

Are we going to see army lists soon? I think Im posting mine later this week along with my weekly update. Are you guys keeping all your stuff in this thread or do you make separate plogs too? I made a separate not to spam in here too much.

Naryn, Thrillhouse, glad to have you on board and don't fret about the fluff, I took way to long to write this short intro below haha! Anyways, good to see the Badab team complete! biggrin.png Right, as for my introduction:

++++++++

Claudus Fask, Prefect Commander of the XCVII Tyrant's Legion, pulled his collar up to cover his face from the harsh winds as he walked towards the command bunker. Two hulking Astartes of the Astral Claws escorted him. Their heavy foot falls were silenced by the the barking of commands and roaring engines. The three men strode past a large group of humans outfitted for war. Claudus catched a glimpse of their faces; young, healthy men and women. Most of them were workers from the industrial city, others criminal scum who were given a chance to atone their sins by serving the Tyrant of Badab. Not the most effective soldiers since their training was far from complete and they only received basic psycho-indoctrination, but they would surely have their use. As they approached the bunker, two Astral Claws who stood guard at the door stepped aside and let them in.

As the door closed again, the howling wind and the commotion outside faded away like a distant memory. Only the sound of the soft humming of machines filled Claudus' ears. In front of him a couple of Astral Claws stood around the command table. He recognised one as Uras Vex the Centurion, on the other side was Nagarek, strike leader of the Retaliator squad. The others were sergeants whom names Claudus did not know.

Vex looked up from his dataslate 'Lord Prefect, are your troops ready?'

All the eyes were now fixed on him. The demi-gods of war looked down on him as if they tried to read his mind. Claudus' heart pounded in his chest as he took a bow 'Yes my lord.'

'Splendid' Vex turned his gaze to his brothers 'The sheer number of our forces will surely overwhelm the opposition! And what's left of them will be hunted down. They will not take away Vega III from us.'

Nagarek growled 'Are the lapdogs of the Imperium so dead set on getting this rock?'

'Yes, and we are dead set on preserving it brother. Lord Huron insisted that we hold no matter what, since we need every resource we can get.'

'Bah, fine by me' the Retaliator's scarred face turned into a sneer 'as long as my blade can taste the blood of the Tyrant's enemies.'

'In due time brother, in due time. Let us await their arrival. According to our intelligence it won't be long now.'

++++++++

Hi all! I'm Leviathus and I'll be doing the Astral Claws and Tyrant's Legion! Many thanks to Dosjetka for initiating the project and inviting me to participate! To be fair my Astral Claws haven't seen many updates lately so I'm glad to kick things back into gear!

I will be starting with a humble Legion Auxilia commanded by Claudus Fask himself.

Archived