Neverending Campaign Project

Okie dokie.  What I'll do then, is copy/paste the suggestions into a word document, and go from there.

I'll attempt to work on some form of "catch all" narrative, mainly detailing some ideas around what is possibly going on, but I will definitely leave the main specifics to you :)  Don't wanna overtake your baby lol.

Righty, basics are planned out for you.

Where would you like me to upload them?  I have a dropbox I could use, if you PM me your email address, I'll upload and share it to you :)

Awesome! I'm glad you're willing to help with the narrative part - the original plan was to play through the actual missions and then write the narrative based on the actual game, but the person who I thought was going to be playing with me has disappeared and is not responding to any of my texts/emails XP Basically, until further notice I won't be able to actually play the missions I'm designing :(

Also, feel free to add in your own creative touch to things - part of why I'm doing this project is to share it with everyone, and the more people who get to contribute, the better :)

Awesome! I'm glad you're willing to help with the narrative part - the original plan was to play through the actual missions and then write the narrative based on the actual game, but the person who I thought was going to be playing with me has disappeared and is not responding to any of my texts/emails XP Basically, until further notice I won't be able to actually play the missions I'm designing :sad.:

Also, feel free to add in your own creative touch to things - part of why I'm doing this project is to share it with everyone, and the more people who get to contribute, the better :smile.:

Would I be right in thinking you are across the pond in the US of A?  Or, are you a bit more local to me?

I couldn't get it to work, but there is VASSAL, that lets you play 40K online, almost as well as on the tabletop.  

I'll post up some ideas, as and when.

However, structure wise, how do you feel about the idea of a mission tree?  Play the first mission as stated, then come up with different missions, based on the outcome of a battle?

I'm in the USA, Kansas specifically. I'll have to look that up!

Also, I've been trying to download that dropbox link but for some reason it just keeps sending me to my own (empty) Public folder. I'll PM you my email so you can send it directly to me.

EDIT: Received the file, and will be adding the missions in where I plan to fit them in. Some of them may not be added just yet, as they may be used for subsequent sub-campaigns, but I will definitely be using them all at some point. I'll just have to figure out exactly where to put them (ie which sub-campaigns, which point, etc.).

EDIT 2: I've been working on revising the refinery mission, but there are two things I'm trying to figure out. First off, what rules should the Bonesword, Lash Whip, and Scything Talons have? Also, how many blips should the Tyranid player get, and how many should they be allowed to deploy on the first turn?

Edited by reptilelover1995

The Dam idea for scenery...

Chicken wire and modroc would be a good place to start.  Maybe some medium weight wood to help hold up the wire.

If you want a cinematic game, have a section that is used to hold some dry ice.  make the Fog of War real lol.  Failing that, have a totally smooth section about an inch from the top of the dam, and use tinted water effect, which I believe is fairly east to get hold of, if not use correctly.  However, it sounds like you want an awesome looking setting.

My original idea behind the smaller games, like the flyers and landspeeder/gargoyle chase, should be short in time terms, so, if you really need a game, but haven't got time for a proper fight, slip in a chase scenario :)

I would definitely be able to get some dry ice - I have 8 carnivorous reptiles and every order of frozen feeders comes with a big chunk of try ice :p

Also, I did email someone from NASA asking about what color the liquid hydrocarbon lakes on Titan would be, so I will be able to make some river/lake terrain as well.

As for those shorter scenarios, it might be really cool to actually be playing one of the larger battles, but on a nearby but separate board, be playing the smaller scenarios, with the outcome of that small scenario affecting the balance of the main big battle. Perhaps if there was a huge scale Apocalypse-style game, something like that could be finished before the big game was over and the results could be worked into the major battle.

btw, for a mountain board

two options

1. terracing, although it would create a lot of work and be dangerous if you can be clumsy

2. just choose one edge of the board to be down (I suggest a long board edge)
Have any unit that starts its charge with all models in its unit "down" from all models in the target unit be at -1 initiative (and perhaps -2" charge range) in the ensuing round of close combat
Have any unit that starts its charge with all models in its unit "up" from all models in the target unit be at +1 initiative (and perhaps have +2" charge range add one to cover saves against overwatch)
Have units gain +1 to cover when being shot by models that are "down" from them, and -1 to cover when being shot by models that are "up" from them.

Also, you could have moving all count as difficult terrain (or only moving up/down if fighting in heavily terraced terrain), and moving up add a die to the roll and drop the highest for distance, and have moving down be optionally dangerous, but if you do so to increase movement by 3".

Edited by Teetengee

Cool ideas! I'll definitely consider them when/if I get that far. I don't exactly have a high-paying job at the moment so the idea of affording the models as well as commissioning people to help paint them (I'd never be able to get all of them done by myself), and finding someone to play with is a bit of a pipe dream.

I've played using mostly proxies before, and I'm not a huge fan. I often get mixed up over what represents what, and I feel a lot less immersed than when I have actual painted models. Plus even if I did just use proxies, I still don't have anyone around to play with.

I actually got to thinking a bit more this morning and, once I've got everything finished and polished, I may contact Forge World and show it to them. Perhaps if they like it enough they'd pay me something to let them publish and sell it, then maybe I could afford to buy all the models :P It's a pipe dream given that I would need help with the scenarios, narrative, art, etc., but if I could get it all looking real nice I may have a shot :D

After some thinkys, I've had a possible idea for presenting the campaign as an interactive experience.

First mission is all about the 'Nids arriving, and trying to gain a foothold on the first planet they come to.

Therefore, if the 'Nids win, they then choose a campaign action.  Should the Imperial forces win, they choose a campaign action.

Tyranid Campaign Actions:

1. Conquer Plant - In order to conquer a planet roll a D3 and play through that many games at 800-1500 points.  The Tyranid player must win the majority of games in order to complete this action.  This must be the first Campaign Action for each minor planet encountered.
  2. Consume Biomass - Consuming biomass of minor planets enables the Tyranid player to produce units faster, and easier.  The Tyranid player must hold off an Imperial attack on a feeder tendril.  Armies are chosen in the usual manner.  "Feeder Tendril WS 5 BS 0 S 6 T 6 W 5 A 3 Sv 4+ Weapons - Defensive tendrils ( S User AP 4 Melee) Grabber tendril (Range 6" S Special AP - Special: Any models within 6" of the Feeder tendril may be captured by the Grabber tendril.  Target models must pass an initiative test or be dragged into close combat.  This can happen at any time, including during a charge move.)  Special Rules - Immobile, Vulnerable to fire (any heat or flame based weapon that scores unsaved wounds may roll to wound again), Random Attacks (should there be Tyranid models as well as Imperial Models within 6" then the Tyranid player must split attacks between targets) Successful completion of this Campaign Action reduces HQ points cost by 20, Elite by 15 Troops by 5, Flast Attack by 15, Heavy Support by 10.
  3. Enhance Warrior Organisms - This action allows the Tyranid player to freely upgrade one Tyranid organism with a single biomorph for free, on a permanent basis for this campaign.  Each biomorph may only be taken once, and each organism may be upgraded in this manner a maximum of twice.
  4. Spread the Seed - In games of 1500 points or higher, against Astra Militarum forces, the Tyranid play may attempt to infiltrate a Genestealer Cult into the enemy force.  For each unit in the opposing force roll a D6 before the Tyranid player takes their first turn.  On a roll of a 6 that unit is under the control of the Tyranid player.  

These are examples, I will think up some imperial ones asap

I absolutely love it. The best part about adding this extra type of content is that if I am able to get a finished, polished 'book' done, it could really get Forge World interested in publishing it since it would offer them an opportunity to sell more than just the book (they could make models of particular characters, unique terrain for some of the scenarios, etc.).

I also just separated the doc into 3 separate volumes. I'd like someone to go over the Consumption of Exsteron (Volume 1) and see if they have anything to add, as I feel it could use a few more scenarios. Since that's the first volume, I think it'd be nice to just get it all planned out before further stuff is done.
Here are the pdfs, in order:
Vol 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0msehwny44tqzml/The%20Laelaps%20Incursion%20vol%201.pdf?dl=0

Vol 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3flg2fxri2gmjsd/The%20Laelaps%20Incursion%20vol%202.pdf?dl=0

Vol 3: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zna75cz82mtmrro/The%20Laelaps%20Incursion%20vol%203.pdf?dl=0

I like the campaign actions idea, although I think they need some fine tuning.

I think the biomass absorptions should probably be either a % increase in point limit or a very small model based reduction in cost, after a certain number of successful absorptions. The second will encourage horde lists, which may be ideal and fluffy.

Okies.  

If you are planning on submitting to Forgeworld, then you don't need the "Codex" aspect, as they would insist on using the published version.

Including information on species of Tyranid seen through different phases of the campaign allows you to specify which units should be used at which points in the campaign.

Your formatting is slightly off on the last page of Volume 1, font sizing and positioning are off.

If you can, how about providing some maps with movement arrows, almost like battle reports, explaining what "happened".  I know you are attempting a living campaign, however, each volume, I feel, should be in the "past" to allow for spitballing of story line.  How did the Imperium fare in the opening events, were they steam rollered?  Did they save key planets?  Did the hive fleet move as a single entity, or did it intentionally fracture to allow for greater diversity and faster assimilation?

Who do the Tyranids fight the most during the opening stages?  Is it just Astra Militarum?  Do the 'Nids encounter Adeptus Mechanicus forces?  Space Marine forces?  Story arc like space battles (do any take place before a planet is invaded?) are great page fillers, adding to the background.

Past tense is far easier to write in than present tense, which is part of the reason that all the 40K stuff is written in the "past" as we are at 23:59.59 December 31st 40999, however, that doesn't mean you can't be inventive.  Keeping things as "living" as possible.  

Imperial Campaign Actions:

1. Exterminate Splinter.  In order to conquer a planet roll a D3 and play through that many games at 800-1500 points.  The Imperial player must win the majority of games in order to complete this action.  This must be the first Campaign Action for each minor planet defended.
  2. Scour the Prisons.  For each Commissar and/or priest, the Astra Militarum player can take a squad of 10-15 conscripts free of charge.  The conscripts have no upgrades, and the Commissar/Priest must stay with the unit until it is destroyed.
  3. Increase Forgeworld Production.  This action allows the Imperial player to add a single extra vehicle to maximum caps, up to a maximum of 5 vehicles per squadron.  The Imperial player must choose which vehicle squadron benefits at time of choosing.
  4. Rapid Reactions.  This action allows a troops choice the option of taking a dedicated transport from their options for free.
  5. Entrenched positions.  This action gives the option for one of two choices.  First choice.  Allow a platoon to deploy in the centre of the table, to represent having dug in to wait for the Tyranid advance.  Second Choice.  Mounted Squads may choose to outflank, and choose which table edge to arrive on (not including the Tyranid deployment zone)

Again, these are very rough ideas, off the top of my head, and changes/alterations are welcome :)

If you are planning on submitting to Forgeworld, then you don't need the "Codex" aspect, as they would insist on using the published version.

Yeah, I thought about that - problem is that with the current 'nid codex, these missions would be completely one-sided in favor of the Imperium. I was thinking it could sorta be justified as being like with the Horus Heresy books - despite the fact that Legionaries are essentially the same thing as Space Marines in regular 40k, they have their own rules and stuff. The idea of new rules for Laelaps can be explained by the fact that fluff-wise, the fleet is the result of splinters from many Hive Fleets (Behemoth, Kraken, Gorgon, and a few others) merging (each time two splinters encountered each other, one would end up consuming the other) into a single Hive Fleet that has all of the best traits from all of those Hive Fleets.

Plus, Tyranid players overall are not exactly happy with the current rules set, so if the book included good new rules for the Tyranid force, even more people would want to buy it for that reason alone.

Your formatting is slightly off on the last page of Volume 1, font sizing and positioning are off.

Okay. What specifically do I need to change?

If you can, how about providing some maps with movement arrows, almost like battle reports, explaining what "happened".  I know you are attempting a living campaign, however, each volume, I feel, should be in the "past" to allow for spitballing of story line.  How did the Imperium fare in the opening events, were they steam rollered?  Did they save key planets?  Did the hive fleet move as a single entity, or did it intentionally fracture to allow for greater diversity and faster assimilation?

I do like this idea. If I can get some digital artists interested in cooperating with me on this project I will certainly add stuff like that. As for the writing style, I actually have planned to write them in 'past tense'; I would play through the missions, then write the narrative based on the outcome. Problem is that I have nobody to play with, so until that situation changes (or I decide to write the narrative without playing through the missions) I will not really be able to write too much specifics. However, these first three volumes are simply meant to tell the story of Laelaps' first appearance, so the end result of each volume is a Tyranid victory. This is because the Hive Fleet starts out pretty small, so it needs to consume a whole bunch of worlds before it would be able to take on any of the more fortified areas of the Imperium.

For the first two volumes, the Tyranids had a relatively easy victory, though the Fall of Rivicto was much harder fought since it is a Space Marine Homeworld. Narrative-wise, Laelaps is able to keep the Imperium ignorant of its existence until the end of the third volume, since it's attacking 'backwater' worlds where long periods without communication are not unexpected, and there was not enough time to send out a distress call. Since the Hive Fleet is relatively small at this point, it is moving as a single tendril, though this will likely change as it continues to grow. However, in volume 2 I'm thinking that the Hive Fleet splits into two detachments so it can attack both worlds at the same time, preventing one from being able to fortify their position while they attack the other.

Who do the Tyranids fight the most during the opening stages?  Is it just Astra Militarum?  Do the 'Nids encounter Adeptus Mechanicus forces?  Space Marine forces?  Story arc like space battles (do any take place before a planet is invaded?) are great page fillers, adding to the background.

During the first few missions, the 'nids are mostly fighting Astra Militarum, since they're trying to choose the easiest possible targets and, compared to something like a Space Marine, the average Guardsman is easy pickings. Laelaps would most likely avoid extended conflicts with Adeptus Mechanicus except when they are just part of a larger force that includes regular Guardsmen or Space Marines. This is because they'd be getting next to no biomass from consuming the Mechanicus' dead, and thus it would not be worth the effort. This is why I don't plan on having Laelaps target any sort of Forge World - there's almost no biomass for them to harvest so the effort it would take to overrun far outweighs what little gain there would be. The third volume is where Laelaps first encounters Space Marines (specifically, the Emerald Serpents chapter), and consumes their homeworld. This results in the Emerald Serpents dedicating themselves to destroying Laelaps, and their fleet desperately tries to predict where Laelaps will strike next so they can get there in advance.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae5/Damien_Smy/Screen%20Shot%202016-01-12%20at%2022.04.50_zpsndhznkuo.png

This image looks nothing like the next one, which is what I mean by formatting :)

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae5/Damien_Smy/Screen%20Shot%202016-01-12%20at%2022.05.08_zpsrhhudm5k.png

Tyranid Strategy:

While I see what you mean about biomass, and the build up, the 'Nids wouldn't always ignore a target due to lack of biomass.  They would also take out strategic targets, just like most other armies.  This does give you scope to "allow" other Imperial forces.  Example, an Inquisitor and his/her retinue.  Fluff perspective, would your Marines, being Ultramarine descendants, patrol their home system and adjoining systems?  If not full companies, maybe squads/demi (combat) squads.  Scouts, speeders, but noting overly heavier.  At most a Stormraven/talon or two for transport.

Suggestion for story arc/volume count.  If there is one thing people hate, it's a large number of small books, in order to appeal, I'd suggest having an overall plan on how the story will go.  Don't necessarily give it away i thread, but look at where you want to be.  How you get there, will be discussed :)

Volume 1, IMHO would deal with the early stages, until major planets are encountered.  So, from entry to the system(s) until the first major populated world.  Deal with something like an agri-animal farming world, which then alerts the rest.  Have AM vs AM skirmishes as dissenting citizens feel something is wrong, something bad is coming.  But it would later be revealed to be a Genestealer cult.  Could the stealers have arrived, undetected after a Hulk appeared in system, it was checked out, and deemed to be 'dead' but a 'stealer or two infiltrated the retreating shuttle, and starting a cult there, which spreads though local space over a period of time before the 'Nids even arrive?  Hang it there.

Volume 2 would introduce heavier vehicles, more Marines, possibly an Ad Mech force or two.  Either on maintenance or exploration missions.  Marines on system patrol.  Missing trade ships, maybe (Did you say they were on the Eastern Fringe) small xenos (Tau) skirmishes until the Tyranids appear in a contested zone.  Higher population worlds.  Unstoppable Tyranid beasts setting jumpy guardsmen to firing before thinking.  Flyer duels through mountains, cities.  Speeders chasing down gaunt broods like gargoyles, hormagaunts etc.  First truly pitched battle, at medium to high points (1850 or so).  

Volume 3 approach to the Marine homeworld.  Many pitched space battles with Imperial Navy suffering crippling losses, planetside you have settlements/cities vanishing into holes in the ground.  Hive fleet appears in SM homeworld space, and drops (whatever 'nid drop pods are called) or releases clouds of Hive Crones/Harpies etc along with gargoyles to show lots of aerial combat and low level skirmishes until ground forces are dropped, detected.  Where would the Chapter fight?  Siege mentality, defend the fortress monastery at all costs?  Go out and meet the 'nids in open fields to use tanks etc?  

Volume 4.  Aftermath and end tying.  Who wins overall?  Battle for Macragge style?  Barely held on, but suffered horrendous casualties?  Any other Marine reinforcements?  Other Chapters help rebuild?  Did the native Marines lose all their Apothecaries and were in desperate need of support from close by chapters for medical needs/implantation?  How many planets were lost in total?  Where did the 'Nids go?  Did they survive well enough to continue being a threat?  Which direction were they headed?  Did the native marines stop to rebuild/lick wounds, or pursue immediately aka Scythes of the Emperor?

Even if you don't send it to Forgeworld, ensure all images in each volume are a minimum of 300 DPI, preferably much higher resolution.  I can help you hold your books, should you want to :)

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'd love for you to help in whatever way(s) that you can. Since the planets I've written so far are telling of the buildup of Hive Fleet Laelaps, perhaps I should keep the first two volumes as a single volume instead. I could definitely use some advice on layout and formatting though, I'm not always great at that.

Keep in mind that at this point, any images are purely placeholders until I find someone willing to contribute digital art to the project.

I've copied you into a document that is full of great tips for formatting print books.  It might not work directly for this project, however, but it should give you plenty of formatting tips.

I'm in the process of working on another book for a different group of friends, as well as painting my Imperial Fists.  I will, however, help in any way possible :)

If you could PM me a direct link to your publisher files, I'll try to get a shot at loading up my PC, where I have publisher installed.

In the darkness of a non-descript monitoring room a single red light blinked on.  The operator sighed heavily, leaned forward and flicked the light, in the hopes it would extinguish as an error.  It didn't.  With another sigh, the operator heaved himself to his feet, and began to make his way towards the heavy doors at the other end of the room that led to his charges.  He had taken no more than two steps when lights began flicking on at an ever increasing speed.  Seconds later, all hundred were lit, casting an eerie glow into the room.

Panicky, the operator hit a control to alert his superiors to the problem, and entered the secured room.  He recoiled in horror with what he could see before him.  The remains of the humans that had occupied the amniotic tanks had flooded the tanks with their life blood.  Taking a close look at the nearest tank, which should have contained a female, one he was quite partial to, when he could stand to enter the room.  Her head was unrecognisable, almost like she had changed into a creature, her breasts were missing, not just gone but as thought they had never been there.  Her legs were welded together, and had too many joints, were twitching as though they were a monstrous tail.  As he gazed in revulsion, strange looking legs erupted  from her hips.

A loud noise made the menial jump out of his skin, as he saw the glass shatter, and the room was awash with blood coloured amniotic fluid.  The mutated human started writhing and hissing, as more tubes began shattering around him.  Then, with another loud bang, her head exploded.  A yellow hazard light started flashing, and a klazon wailed.  He turned slightly to see what the issue was, and the large heavy doors were closing fast, and the blast proofing was lowering.   Through the narrowing gap, he could see a shape, a human shape, with a single red eye, and a large calibre weapon.  As the operator ran to the doors, he heard the figure speak, and it chilled him.

"Send word to all Imperial forces.  Highest security rating.  Assembly at the following co-ordinates, the Devourer is coming, and we must resist!"

"Yes Inquisitor.  What about..."

The door slammed shut, and the operator hit it hard.  His nose broken, blood flooding down his face, he turned.  The sight left him in a pool of his own manufacture.  Hissing abominations with the faces and skins of humans were staggering towards him.  He screamed, loud and long.  Turning, he scrabbled at the solid adamantium and ceramite, shredding his hands and fingers to bloody rags.  Defeated, he slid down to the floor, and cried as panels in the walls opened, spewing long tongues of flame all around.  The operator, along with his charges, was consumed in the conflagration.

Turning away from the sealed door, as cries from within ceased, the Inquisitor turned to his aide, "You must return to the ship, and get out of this system to summon aid.  The Shadow of the Warp has hit while these souls were communicating.  Return once you have replies from the nearest Astra Militarum forces, and an answer from the closest Astartes chapter.  I have information saying there might be small forces of Black Dragons, Ultramarines, Imperial Fists and Scythes of the Emperor engaged is surrounding clusters.  The Emerald Serpents are the closest Astartes force though.  Use my authority with all Imperial forces."

"Yes lord.  Where will I find you?"

"Organising these scientists and civilians into some form of cohesive force.  Have Captain Cramer and his company report to the surface, and Tempestor Prime Smethwyke report with his platoon to the fixed place defenses.  See if he can make a fortress out of this research station."

The Inquisitor and his aide left the carnage that was the astropathic chamber.  The small research point gathering information on the boundaries that were little known areas of space was also developing medicines and vaccines to fight the plagues of zombies that terrorised neighbouring hive systems.  The work was vital to the Imperium, and it would be a disaster should the station fall.

With preparations under way, the Inquisitor set to reporting to his superiors.  This was not going to go well...

Edited by Damo1701

That is without a doubt one of the best introductions to a campaign that I've EVER seen. I'm guessing this is intended for the Jana campaign? If so, the only changes that would need to be made would be regarding civilians (since there aren't any on the planet, it's far too hostile for anyone except people/servitors[?] or whatever working in the promethium refineries. Also, any evacuation is doomed to failure, since the wider Imperium doesn't get word about Laelaps until the end of volume 3.

Still, it's absolutely beautiful. I'm going to copy and paste it into the second volume, and will add your name to the credits of course!