Neverending Campaign Project

That is without a doubt one of the best introductions to a campaign that I've EVER seen. I'm guessing this is intended for the Jana campaign? If so, the only changes that would need to be made would be regarding civilians (since there aren't any on the planet, it's far too hostile for anyone except people/servitors[?] or whatever working in the promethium refineries. Also, any evacuation is doomed to failure, since the wider Imperium doesn't get word about Laelaps until the end of volume 3.

Still, it's absolutely beautiful. I'm going to copy and paste it into the second volume, and will add your name to the credits of course!

To be fair, civilians could be scientists, mine/refinery workers.  Anybody who isn't a soldier basically.  

In theory, penal legion could be classed as civilians, as some members would be criminals sentenced to serve in the penal legions :smile.:

I never said it succeeded, lol, those were the orders, however, whether they were successful or not, who can say :wink:

I glad you liked it.  It was kinda how I was feeling at the time, so I used it, and turned it Grimdark lol

++EDIT++

Edited original to remove a typo, should read better now, seeing as he was consumed, not confused lol

Edited by Damo1701

I also realized I'll have to change a little bit of the details in that last bit to match what I have regarding the system - instead of the stuff about developing medicines/vaccines, I'm going to put something like "the many hydrocarbon lakes of the world provided an invaluable source of needed promethium for the surrounding systems. Should Jana fall, the subsector would be all but helpless before the encroaching swarm of Tyranids." I think the next part of the narrative could explain how the first vanguard organisms got into and killed everyone in the refinery where the first mission takes place. Basically, the Inquisitor doesn't realize that Tyranid organisms have infiltrated the ship itself, and the crew are all slaughtered at some point before they are able to get the message about the incoming threat to the planet's surface. The ship lands outside the refinery, and some of the crew are sent inside to investigate why the ship is eerily silent...

Obviously the specifics aren't perfect, I'm not sure if the type of ship an Inquisitor would be in would be capable of landing, or things like that. But I feel like it sounds kinda cool.

Just for future reference, here's kinda what I'm going for with these first three volumes:

Exsteron is the surveillance outpost one, the Astra Militarum pretty much gets steamrolled there, and volume 2 is somewhat similar (though it takes a bit longer for the 'nids to win). Volume 3 is almost like an alternate-timeline version of the Battle for Macragge where the Tyranids win, only real difference being that the Emerald Serpents do not know that the Hive Fleet is approaching until they are first encountered in the system itself (on the surface of the planet, ie first scenario in the campaign).

Well, inquisitors have unlimited power.  He has a Warp capable ship in orbit, anything from a sword class frigate, to an Emperor Class battleship.  Google or searchy on here for Battlefleet Gothic ships, and it should give you some ideas on what his orbital resources are.

When calling for his bodyguard/co-opted units, it could be an idea to have the Tempestus forces attempting to contact the surface, or they could be in a barracks/dormitory.  

BINGO...

The "obvious" face of the installation is the promethium refinery.  A 'hidden' facility, which is why the Inquisitor is there, is for super secret development of inquisitorial thingys.  Quite what, I'm not sure.  Maybe a super secret Geneseed research facility.  Looking at ways to improve or alter the geneseed, combining different chapter geneseed to alter effects maybe.

I can think of an opening for the part where the 'nids encounter the Marine home system.  Gimme a bit, and I'll get the first draft up.

Tyranids vs Marines Homeworld.

Brother-Sergeant Krassus was deep in thought.  The hum of the bridge surrounding him allowed him to ponder how he had reached this point.  Returning from a liaison with the Imperial Fists, after his squad was forced to call in support for simple civil unrest.  That was what rankled the most.  Civilians, admittedly with weaponry capable of penetrating the sacred warplate he and his brothers wore, forced him to call for the closest Imperial forces for support.  Two brothers dead, two seriously wounded, and everybody else at less than full combat efficiency.  

A shudder brought the sergeant back immediately.  "Report!"

"Sire," the delicate voice of the ancient female captain barely rose above the alerts ringing out. "Something has struck us on the portside, and we appear to be slowing."  The captain was busy tapping the command and control panel in the arm rest of her throne.  

​Red lights and a high wail interrupted all activity on the bridge and an automated voice, strangely reminiscent of the Chapter Master, began tolling a dire warning.  "Hull breached!  Hull Breached!  Hull Breached!"

Slamming his helmet on, Krassus started spitting orders into the squad channel as he left the bridge and headed for the site of the breach.  Klaxons wailed, lights flashed, lumen strips flickered, and competing voices blared out of the wall mounted speakers.   Doors that failed to open on his approach suffered terminal hits from his power fist.  The final bulkhead, protecting the rest of the ship from the vacuum of space stood before him, there was something wrong, the door appeared to be dissolving!

Confused, Krassus raised his bolt pistol ready, aiming at the discolouration, wondering what could dissolve void hardened ceramite.  Footfalls to his left and right announced the approach of his brothers.  His retinal display showing two red icons, two black icons, and six amber icons.  Not the forces to defend a starship he would have wished, but he would not be without his brothers.

"Frankus, take Jerran and Rulfus, and hold the main bridge!  Everybody else, phalanx to defend.  Bolters until you are dry, then blades."  The order was crisp and clear.  Sending the most heavily wounded to make a stand at the bridge.  If the attackers got past entry, the ship was lost anyway.

​As the assigned marines were leaving, a huge talon ripped through the bulkhead, blowing detritus and loose panels through the hole and into the void.  A large adamantium panel went spinning past the retreating marines, lodging itself in the joint between brother Awlgold's shoulder plate and breastplate, blood flowing straight through the hole to the void.  Krassus was furious.  A marine wounded, and nothing visible of the enemy except a talon or sword.

Before Krassus could question the wounded marine, long, vicious hooks erupted through the damaged bulkhead, and speared the wounded marine, breaking the connection between him and the deck, and hauling him through the damaged portal.  With a large implosion of spinning fragments, the marine hit the bulkhead, and, having reached a point where the acid damage was too much, disintegrated it.  Krassus lost sight of his wounded brother as a tide of blackness surged towards him and his remaining brothers.  Hesitating for a fraction of a second, the vengeful sergeant gave the order to fire.  Knowing that a bolt round would be kinder than any other fate his brother could suffer.

Shells spinning, sounds transmitted through their damaged warplate, the marines blazed away at the tide surging towards them.  Fluids and pieces of *something* started floating around the head of the tide.  That was bad.  It meant power to the artificial gravity was failing.  As Awlgold's indicator switched from amber to red, then black, Krassus charged his powerfist to capacity, and disengaged the magnetic seals.

"Brothers!  Now is the time to die, take as many as you can!  For the Emperor!"  The shout was echoed by the confines of the corridor, and the cry for the Emperor was echoed by the surviving marines.

Krassus spiralled as he kicked off from the wall and floor, powerfist stretched out in front of him, bolter shells zipping past him, and erupting inside strange flesh.  The enemy was revealed.  Genestealers!  A thousand thoughts flashed through Krassus' mind as his fist began connecting with alien skulls, the Tyranids were coming!

As his brothers joined the fray, knives flashing, pistols whipping, Krassus opened the vox to the ship channels.  All he could hear, before attempting to speak, was the screams, cries, oaths, cursing of a ship being overrun.  Checking his display, he saw the marines he had sent to the bridge were dead.  Their icons a flat black.  One by one, these heroes he had fought a hundred battles with were dying.  No matter how many aliens were killed, there were always more to take their place.  

With a tear on his cheek, Krassus leapt at a enormous monster, with six limbs, a large horn jutting from it's head, like a crest.  The smaller beasts accompanying the Genestealers parted for him.  The beast lowered its arms, and Krassus erupted in pain.  Something was holding him.  Not build to feel fear, a sense of dread, and loss over came the valiant sergeant momentarily, as he saw Awlgold's helmet approaching.  Then a huge sense of pain, and loss.

The lictor withdrew its feeding tubes from the head of the space marine, and turned.  It's black, alien eyes regarding the Tyranid Prime behind it.  A psychic pulse, and the brood of monsters headed for the bridge where more prey were still living.  They would be useful.  They would take them, undetected, to the next feeding place.

In the darkness of space, a beacon lit up.  Massive beasts, the like of which had never been seen in these systems turned their heads, strong prey was here.  Rich feeding.  Worthwhile biomass to consume.  The beasts sent a pulse to other creatures, larger, void living creatures.  They turned slowly, and began to head towards the beacon.

Shoot them from the walls, and Shoot them from the air!

As the horde of tyranid organisms lays siege to the Fortress monastery of the Emerald Serpents, there are strange goings on underground.  The marines manning the defences know their time is short.  They need to hold the swarm long enough to allow the chapter to evacuate, and preserve the geneseed.

Squads drawn from various companies of the chapter have elected to cover the withdrawal of the chapter and preserve the legacy for the future.

Imperial Forces - Maximum composition

1 Gladius Strike Force

2 Battle Demi Companies - 1 led by Captain, 1 by Chaplain

2 Anti-Air Defense Forces

1 Storm Wing

1 Armoured Task Force

Minimum Composition

1 Gladius Strike Force

1 Battle Demi Company

1 Anti-Air Defence Force

Restrictions - 

Dreadnoughts are limited to a maximum of 2 units, due to the valuable nature of the experience contained within these living legends.

Tyranid Forces

Recommended - Unbound

Bonus - The tyranid player has 50% more points available to the Imperial player who picks points level.

Bonus - Unending Horde - Each time a unit is destroyed it is added to ongoing reserves, and enteres play either using Deep Strike if it has that rule, or the Tyranid's player deployment zone.

Special Rules - 

Save the Geneseed - If the Imperial forces are killed in close combat, roll a D6 for each model.  On the roll of a 6, the Marine detonates a melta charge to destroy his geneseed before it can be consumed.  The attacking unit suffers that many wounds at strength 8 AP1, roll to wound as normal.

The ground is unstable - At the end of turn 4, if there are still Imperial forces in the fortress, roll a D6, on the roll of a 6, the fortress collapses and the Imperial forces are killed immediately, as the monastery is collapsed by a burrowing tyranid swarm.  Turn 5, 5+, turn 6, 4+.

Full skies - Should the Imperial forces use flyers that enter ongoing reserves, roll a D6, the roll of a 1 indicates they have been destroyed and are no longer available.

Game Length - 6 turns

Deployment - 

The Space Marines deploy all forces on the table, including flyers, upto 1 unit may be deployed outside the fortress, as a recon unit.  Flyers being the game "Landed", which means they must spend their first turn in "hover" mode.  They may change to zooming mode from turn 2, and are placed in ongoing reserves should they leave the table.

Tyranid:

The tyranid player has two choices.  Deploy as normal on the table, or enter via Mycetic Assault.  If deployed on table, they may be deployed anywhere on the board a minimum of 24" from either the fortress, or Imperial units.

Mycetic Assault - The Tyranid player may choose to have their entire army drop from orbit/flying nursery beasts.  Every unit may enter the game via deep strike on turn 1.  If this assault method is chosen, the Imperial units get the Interceptor special rule to use once each (unless they otherwise have it).  Tyranid units that enter via deep strike may run.  Flying Monstorous creatures that enter in this method have teh chance that tehy will impact the ground.  Roll a D6 for each FMC that is entering.  On the roll of a 1, place the large blast marker (5") over the target point.  Models under the template suffer a single strength 6 hit, armour saves as normal.  The tyranid model is placed in ongoing reserves.

Victory Conditions:

Victory Points

As standard

Bonus Victory points - Whole Space Marine units still alive at the end of turn 6 +1 per unit

Fortress Destroyed +2 

Flyers Destroyed +1 per flyer (both sides)

++EDIT++
Alter Imperial Ongoing Reserves

Edited by Damo1701

Looks great!

I'm putting it into the volume 3 book now. For my own sake I will probably write down specific lists for each force, because that will also help me know what minis I need when I get around to that mission.

Right now, though, I'd like to bring the focus back to volume 1, just because I'd like to get that (and volume 2) done or at least fully planned out before I go to volume 3. For volume 1, I think there need to be more battle scenarios, because right now it feels far too short to be a separate volume in its own right. The Astra Militarum do get steamrolled essentially, but it still needs to have some degree of length to be its own entity.

Well, the FW books like to introduce new units.  So we can have a look at that.

Volume 1 should be what is assimilated on the march towards the Space Marine homeworld.

Volume 2 should deal with events around the homeworld, and extraction/ongoing fighting etc.

Volume 3 could be attempts to retake the Homeworld before feeding/or aftermath and ensuing fighting.

That's my view on it anyway.  Because then you could have yourself a decent sized volume, for not very much.  (More on printing for personal use via PM)

Possible units available for volume 1 - Standard Tyranid units.

New Unit - Torpedofex: Points - ?

Statline?

WS 5 BS 3 S 6 T 7 W 3 I 4 A 4 LD 8 Sv 3+

Weapons - Scything Talons and Crushing Claws

Special Rules

Deep Strike:  The Torpedofex is designed to crash through armoured buildings and begin to hunt for enemies.  However, this genome is unstable, and it's efficency questionable from an Imperial point of view.  When the Torpedofex deep strikes, it doesn't roll on the mishap table for striking terrain or enemy units.  Instead, if the scatter roll is a 1 roll on the mishap table.  After placing the Torpedofex, the Tyranid player needs to pass a toughness test on 2D6, otherwise the protective shell failed, and the creature inside is killed.

Independant Operator:  This genome does not require staying inside synapse range.

Options - 

May replace Scything talons with: Rending claws +?  Twin linked devourers +?

Bio-morphs - Prehensile Tail (whatever evil tail things carnifexes can have), Spike Banks.

Image:

Some form of carnifex conversion, maybe add the option for a carnifex to have wings - which are entry turn only.  Not developed the strength to use them again.  How about parts from a Tyrannocyte or something like that as well?

Imperial Formation:

Miner Defence Force:  

1-3 Conscripts squads (see codex Astra Militarum)

1-2 Commissars

0-1 Imperial Priest

0-2 Armoured Sentinels.

Benefits:  

You will stand! :  While the Commissars are alive, any moral tests can use the Commissar's leadership value.

Under Strength: As the Armoured Sentinels are an understrength squad, they may redeploy after all deployment and scout moves have been made.

Meat for the grinder:  It is assumed every civilian is enlisted in the defence of (WORLD), therefore, after a unit of conscripts is destroyed, another will enter play on the next imperial turn, provided there are still commissars alive.

+++

Not too sure about a 'nid formation yet.  Possibly something along the lines of flyers, or many gargoyles and gaunts/'stealers.

I like the idea of the Torpedofex, though the idea of an entire unit dedicated to essentially what seems to be a deep-striking carnifex seems a bit redundant when you could simply have a regular carnifex that enters via deep strike. One of the upgrades in my homebrew dex (Mycetic Assault) can be given to some units for a certain points value and it essentially acts like the Mycetic Spore in the 5th ed dex, difference being that there is no mycetic spore unit and instead the unit/creature(s) get a 5+ cover save for the rest of the turn (unless they somehow move at least 6" away from the initial entry point) to represent the debris.

My idea for a unique unit throws back to the old days of Epic (like a lot of the newer 40k nid beasties) - the Dactylis. It's basically a Heavy Ordnance organism, mutated from the carnifex genus, but instead of trying to go all in and get close, it keeps its distance and bombards its foe with massive spore mines (obviously in a different league from the ones used by biovores). I got the idea from a set of rules in the homebrew nids codex from /tg/.

I like the idea of the Torpedofex, though the idea of an entire unit dedicated to essentially what seems to be a deep-striking carnifex seems a bit redundant when you could simply have a regular carnifex that enters via deep strike. One of the upgrades in my homebrew dex (Mycetic Assault) can be given to some units for a certain points value and it essentially acts like the Mycetic Spore in the 5th ed dex, difference being that there is no mycetic spore unit and instead the unit/creature(s) get a 5+ cover save for the rest of the turn (unless they somehow move at least 6" away from the initial entry point) to represent the debris.

My idea for a unique unit throws back to the old days of Epic (like a lot of the newer 40k nid beasties) - the Dactylis. It's basically a Heavy Ordnance organism, mutated from the carnifex genus, but instead of trying to go all in and get close, it keeps its distance and bombards its foe with massive spore mines (obviously in a different league from the ones used by biovores). I got the idea from a set of rules in the homebrew nids codex from /tg/.

Tyrannocyte is a Tyranid Drop Pod.  I have the rules for it, if you give me a few minutes.  

The torpedofex was a trail idea for some kind of boarding torpedo style unit, designed to hit either units, buildings, or fortifications, with a shot at possibly destroying them.  50:50 chance it will kill itself in teh process, but hey, 'nids love living ammo.

I know about the tyrannocyte, but it's more of a separate unit that takes up a role in the battlefield, and so mycetic assault is there to act as a cheaper altnerative (both points-wise and finance-wise).

I think the torpedofex could work, but it needs some refining. As an evolutionary Biology major, I ask myself several questions when coming up with a new Tyranid creature:

-How does it function differently from other Tyranid creatures?

-In what situations is it advantageous to take this creature as opposed to some other creature?

For example, with the Dactylis, it functions differently in that it is a much longer ranged ordnance creature, and in situations where the enemy is heavily entrenched and where there is a large distance to close, it offers an advantage overy tagine other units with shorter range.

The Torpedofex ideally is suited to command killing situations.  Either through a vehicle, (think baneblade or Titan head), Bunker (plenty of scenery type things).  Behind enemy lines, from either orbit (super-thick hard armour that sheds layer by layer during entry, which is why it's still being perfected by the hive mind.  Every atmosphere is different) or high altitude (wings + super thick skull/sheddable armour around head).

Possible other uses - Bio-acid spray for ship to ship combat to get shock units in.  Basically the "carnifex insides" are living ammunition.  average lifespan, a few hours due to high toughness, high aggression.  Considered making it fleet too, or giving it furious charge?

Could, even in theory be a projectile from a bio-titan artillery type, like a biovore, only mucho bigger.

Hmmm. Well, I like the idea of it being something ideal for taking out command, but there are other creatures that are also used for that such as the Deathleaper, Broodlord (meant to munch enemy ICs), Dimachaeron, and I believe the Red Terror could be classified in this category as well. The key, then, is to figure out what this creature offers that the above creatures do not.

Perhaps the torpedofex could act almost like a Mawloc except instead of coming from below, it strikes down from above. There would have to be some kinks worked out (it would need to be reliable enough to be worth taking, unlike the Mawloc in the vanilla rules), but that is a possibility (or it could simply act as a 'shooting' type attack). Another idea could be to give it the ability to act almost like a torpedo itself, although differentiating that from Hammer of Wrath would be somewhat difficult.

It might be better to think of such a creature as more of an upgrade/variant of the Carnifex rather than a distinct species, like the Stonecrusher.

EDIT: Also, I realized based on what you think should be done with the first and second volumes, I'll have to re-merge what I have now for those two since they both take place prior to Rivicto.

I'll need help reformatting the combined volume so that it still is readable/understandable and I'll need to come up with a new subtitle. lol

Edited by reptilelover1995

I like the idea.  One massive Fleshborer style thing, that has the option to survive.

Enemy units with an Armour Value or MC/GC take D3 S10 AP1 hits (no wings armoured sleeve) S7 AP3 hits (Wings, no armoured sleeve) 

Enemy units with a Toughness Value take Large Blast (Apocalyptic blast?) S10 AP1 hits (no wings armoured sleeve) S7 AP3 hits (Wings, no armoured sleeve)

Armour Eating Acid Spray - Any Vehicle hit by the Torpedofex suffer hits to their rear armour.

Don't forget, in some of these scenarios, the Tyranid unit is recycling dead units, which might make this a bit OP, depending on points used.

Maybe apocalypse blast for a unit of 3 hitting the same target, AV or not?

That's a cool idea. I like the Apoc blast idea, I know that one issues 'nids really suffer from is a lack of STR D weapons so having some nice big bad things to throw at the enemy is great.

Perhaps there could be some sort of Apoc formation or something that would reduce the chance of the unit doing nothing upon entering the game. Ie if they're entering within synapse range, reduce scatter or reroll mishaps or something.

I also just added the Dactylis to the 3rd volume - I copied the rules/statline from 1d4chan's 'nid dex. If I ever get the chance to playtest it, I will obviously make any necessary changes to ensure it is balanced.

Could make it Strength D for a unit containing 3 models.  No problems with that.  Though I think using Strength D would instagib the torpedofexes, thus scenario allowing recycle them into the next turn.

After all, you can choose either 3 different hits, and possible survivor units running rampage, or a massive instagib which might fluff it, but come back next turn.

Using Torpedofexes Vs Interceptor rule and flyers...

If using a 3 strong unit, any unit with interceptor has the chance to destroy the unit before it strikes.  Roll to hit as normal, and on the roll of a 6, the Tyranid player must pass a saving throw, or the unit breaks up, scattering each model from the target point, causing standard damage, instead of D strength damage.

During the Deployment of the Torpedofex, zooming Imperial flyers may attempt to intercept.  On the roll of a 6, the Imperial flyer is successful, though it may not fire in the following turn, and must carry on zooming.  on a 4-5 the flyer takes the intended hit, resolve as normal.  on a 1-3 the flyer fails, and cannot fire, and must carry on zooming next turn.

I think those might balance out the constant Strength D attacks that recycling would give.  Plus adds drawbacks for doing so.

I'm thinking something along the lines of 110 points per model, 1-3 per unit, with obvious benefits for taking 3.

FOC - Hmm, this is tricky.  I'm thinking LOW or HS.  Thoughts?

I didn't mean to say I think the attack should be Destroyer strength - I think it's okay for Tyranids to have no STR D weapons so long as they have enough alternatives to compensate.

I think that Heavy Support would be a good bet for that - LOW should be reserved for the truly nasty Tyranid beasts, like the GCs (ie Hierophant, Harridan, etc.).

HS it would be then :)

I'm picturing long armour plates coming from behind the head, with smaller, disposable plates covering the head, almost drill-like.  With a lava effect paintjob, and black singed raised parts.  To show the heat of entry, if coming from orbit.  

Could be different if there is a GC flyer dedicated to crapping them out, kinda like the termagant spawning beastie.  Can't remember it;s name of the top of my head.

The creature you're thinking of is the Tervigon - though in my homebrew it has the option to upgrade so it can spawn both hormagaunts and termagants (not both in the same turn, it chooses one or the other).

If I were a better painter I would certainly do that sort of burning effect, sort of like it just landed and was heated up as it hurdled through the atmosphere at incredible velocity. Sadly I couldn't pull that type of thing off (I have a nerve disorder that makes it impossible for me to hold my hand steady, and lazy eye means I have bad depth perception) :tongue.:

EDIT: Also, I want to get all the scenarios and stuff for the first volume (which will be a merged version of what I currently have in vol 1 and vol 2), and would like to get the narrative portion of that out of the way before I continue more work on the Fall of Rivicto.

Edited by reptilelover1995

Excellent!  Cheers.

Has everything been compiled that we have so far?  Sorry I've not had the chance to get on it, pain has been increasing over the last few days, so been spending more time painting.

Historical events:

Although Imperial forces fought bravely, without the chance of reinforcement, there could be no other result.  The unknown tyranid swarm devoured the lightly guarded planet of Exsteron.  The destruction of the planet was only discovered when a scheduled supply ship arrived, with a new rotation of crew, and enough supplies to provide for the next planetary year.

The destruction was originally placed to asteroid activity, determined by several large craters in the surface of the dead world, and the fact the largest continent had been obliterated.  Later, questions were raised as to the method of destruction, or whether the asteroid activity occurred post-invasion.  Whatever the cause, had the crew that reported survived, they would have been subject to the sternest of censures.

As the Imperial forces prepared to sell their lives dearly, in the closing stages of battle, desperate pleas for aid, reinforcement, and finally, dire warnings of what had reared from the void.  There is no evidence to support any of these outcries reaching Imperial ears, though, whether that is due to Inquisitorial interference, or a true lack of receipt, is unknown.

Had Imperial forces been forewarned, the incident at Jana would have gone very differently...

With Jana providing refined promethium for a variety of uses to many systems around, it had a significant defensive capability.  Military rolls specify a regiment of Valhallan Ice Warriors, as temperatures are similar to their frozen wasteland of a homeworld, a company of armour, including the Baneblade Tyran's Revenge, a machine that survived Icar IV, and reaped a bloody tally in Xenos life before the world was won.

As a material world, Jana fell under the protection of (SPACE MARINE CHAPTER name escapes me), who would patrol from time to time, and send ships to haul away the liquid fuel for their holy flamers, and vehicles to consume.  It was sheer bad luck that there was no Astartes presence during the initial phases of fighting on Jana, as they could have turned the tide sooner, for more gain.  Since these events, Inquisitorial members have been touring Adeptus Astartes chapters, with heavy suggestions that such world as fall in their domains are in receipt of a garrison, even if it is a single brother.

Fighting at the refinery was extremely intense, with conflicting reports declaring the failure or success of the defense.  However, as the swarm approached the Promethium reservoir, defenses that should have been solid, were fragmented, and hard pressed.

Defense forces at teh reservoir consisted mainly of static defense points, and automatic turrets.  A platoon of guardsmen with sential and chimera support held the fortified positions, and patrolled the surrounding territory.  Issued with autoguns, instead of lasguns, the defense lacked the punch a platoon would normally have.  Added to teh fact that, lacking a commissar, half the conscripts fled at teh first howls of the largest Tyranid beasts.  A single hydra battery protected the large skies around the reservoir, an area which would have better been covered by a minimum of two batteries.

The Tyranids relied heavily on larger xenomorphs for the attack on the Dam, Stone Crusher carnifexes were seem in broods of 5 bests, Lictors harried the defenders while the swarm approached, unusually leading smaller gaunt creations as they harrassed patrols, spooked troops, and instigated blue on blue incidents.  

Lacking heavier firepower that leman russ battle tanks could have provided, it was inevitable the dam would be destroyed.  This is despite the heroic actions of Imperial fighter pilots who attempted to shoot down harpies, hive crones, harridans, and a newer style monster who would throw carnifexes at the dam face in order to breach the armoured surface.

The fighting was bitter, and hard, with squads bringing down large xenomorphs only with concentrated fire power, which often left the machines to deal with the smaller breeds by their point defence systems, and heavy bolters.  However, it would all prove for nought, as, after two days of hard fighting, the feeder towers were growing to process the fresh biomass of both Tyranid and Imperial fallen.

A single, strangled, grabled message was received many days later, with the words "they've arrived" as the only clear things said.