What is your Favorite Piece of Astra Militarum/Imperial Guard Fluff?

Personally I like Ollanius Pius, despite the fact that he has been retconned to high heaven I still believe in the original story of the saint of the Imperial Guard.

For those who do not know here is his story I suggest you read the 1d4chan  article on him, I am hesitant to post the quote directly or link it since I know some foruns (Warhammer 40k Lexicanum) do not like 1d4chan in the slightest.

I think he's been retconned to heaven and back again tongue.png I gave it some thought and I can't think of anything. There's so much fluff for the Guard that it's hard to pick a stand out favourite. Perhaps it's the Catachan carving up xenos? Or the Death Korps shelling a hive into oblivion long after they surrendered? I might cheat and wait to be inspired by someone else's favourite msn-wink.gif

Im biased, but I'd say Massacre at Big Toof River, and the battle for Glazer's River. If you want a great read, check the siege of vraks at lexicanum or 40k wiki--absolutely outrageous 40k lore writing at its pinnacle (and I mean that in a very good way). And it's not just the story, the wording and tone convey a very imperial dystopian vibe... Great stuff.

The original Battle of Tyrok Fields Illustration and accompanying story in the 4th ed  Codex.

Where you could tell that the illustrator was working off the actual story, as among the many story incidents included,  he showed the passing of the flag to the next soldier of the Cadian 7th.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/5/53/Img008.jpg

Accompanying the Lord Castellan was the 7th Regiment, whose banner was carried forward by no fewer than twelve separate troopers over the course of the charge, each taking up the standard as its previous bearer fell. the regiments annals tell that not once was the scarred symbol of the regiment's honour allowed to touch the ground.

Wow this thread is moderator city laugh.png Another cool piece of fluff is that commanders will often bury deathstrikes below their own soldiers as a fallback measure

I'd never heard that before, but that's awesome.

One of my favourite gaming moments was in an apocalypse game using "Fire on my position!" (basically a big barrage you centred on a vox caster) several times with the same dude. He somehow escaped unscathed whilst calling down several artillery strikes on his own head!

The original Battle of Tyrok Fields Illustration and accompanying story in the 4th ed  Codex.

Where you could tell that the illustrator was working off the actual story, as among the many story incidents included,  he showed the passing of the flag to the next soldier of the Cadian 7th.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/5/53/Img008.jpg

Accompanying the Lord Castellan was the 7th Regiment, whose banner was carried forward by no fewer than twelve separate troopers over the course of the charge, each taking up the standard as its previous bearer fell. the regiments annals tell that not once was the scarred symbol of the regiment's honour allowed to touch the ground.

That would make an excellent model, the standard being held by both the fallen, mortally wounded bearer and the new one.

My favourite fluff might have to be either Stracken's fluff, because it's such a hilarious, over-the-top Rambo style story of how he had his arm bitten off and didn't even flinch, then beat the creature that bit his arm off to death with his one remaining fist because CATACHAN, HECK YEAH!

Either that or Yarrick, for the quote after he fights the Warboss and takes his claw, "and only then did he allow himself the luxury of passing out."

I have a nostalgic fondness for the piece involving a Catachan patrol being hunted by a Lictor from the 2nd ed Tyranid Codex. Apart from that, nothing really stands out. Guard have a lot of cool background.

I remember that piece, and the artwork that went alongside it. Scary thinking of Catachan soldiers being out-hunted in a jungle, Predator-style. :P

Yup. I still have the 2nd ed Tyranid Codex. That entire Codex was full of threat. It made the encroaching Tyranids feel terrifying in a way that hasn't been captured in the more recent books. The last time I remember being scared of Tyranids was in 3rd ed, with the Dan Abnett piece with Guard vs Nids (with a brief cameo from the Lamentors), which is another one of my favourite pieces of Guard background. I guess I just really like good honest Humans vs good honest xenos.

Of course, that feeling of dread vanished when you hit the tabletop and had to face off against stuff like this

http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Tyranid_Zoanthrope_1.gif

What is it The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer says about Tyranids?

"Tyranid weapons are formed of living tissue and often fall apart."

"Puny claws, short multi-jointed limbs."

"Short muzzles, unstable legs."

"Leathery wings, blunt spikes."

Whoever wrote that must have been looking at 2nd ed bugs :p.

And to bring it back on topic - The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer, excellent piece of background parody ...  propaganda ... utter tripe ... Imperial truth. Well worth a read for any Guard fan (though don't tell Warriorfish you haven't read it yet, I can already hear his bolt pistol being cocked).

It's around, if you're willing to pay some greedy censored.gif an exorbitant price... Knowing our luck they'd release it as a digital read and that simply won't do. Physical copies, so it may be close to you at all times and maybe stop a bullet. Of course, defacing the Primer is also punishable by death.

It's around, if you're willing to pay some greedy censored.gif an exorbitant price... Knowing our luck they'd release it as a digital read and that simply won't do. Physical copies, so it may be close to you at all times and maybe stop a bullet. Of course, defacing the Primer is also punishable by death.

Of course, if it stops a bullet then the enemy defaced my primer. I'll be happy to deliver that punishment personally, sir. No need to worry yourself.

My favorite fluff what that Catachan regiment that stopped a tyranid invasion of a world by going full Rambo and out jungle warfaring tyranids. Let that sink in for a moment.

They tainted themselves with tyranid venom to mask their smell, laid traps, used ambushes and knifework, and generally outfought, in a jungle, and enemy that can turn the jungle against them. Manliness!

Of course, a number were executed for their taint and most had to spend years in decontamination but it was totally worth it.

Everyone has their Primer on them at all times right? To misplace it is punishable by death...

I have my Primer as well as a Handbook. So technically I have two primers, does that mean I can dual wield? All I need to do now is borrow the barracks shower curtain and I could go as Cypher to the next Regimental Halloween Party.

Everyone has their Primer on them at all times right? To misplace it is punishable by death...

The sad thing is, many divisions and brigades in the U.S. Army make their troops carry around little booklets of lore and regulations, which are inspectable items. Art imitating life, eh? 

On topic, I am currently on book four of the "Gaunt's Ghosts" series, and I really enjoy the fact that most of the plot devices in the stories stem from different regiments having to work together & clashing personalities, and less the actual fighting of the enemy.

Archived